Propaganda_of_the_Deed

First time praying at my local (Sunni) masjid

Rate this topic

So I've been a follower of Ahlul Bayt as since approx 7 years.

In that time since, I completely stopped going to my local masjid, no excuses other than being a wimp. I was very regular in my Sunni days and knew a lot of people.

The masjid is on the other road so close I can see it from my place. I have missed praying in a mosque and occaisionally go the main Shia ones when I can but they are in another part of London.

Anyhow today I decided enough, I read a few old posts on ShiaChat about others doing so, and got emboldened enough to grab my turbah and head there for Asr jamat, insistent on praying our way.

So I got there, it has changed a lot since I was there, expanded etc. Saw mostly new faces, few old, though they probably forgot who I was.

Athan goes off, people are praying their nafila salat. I just sat there. I still dislike the feeling of people's eyes on you. I was annoyed at myself for not getting up and praying. I was too shook I guess.

Whilst waiting, a revert went up to me and greeted me, followed by complimenting my aqeeq ring. He said he only recently read about them, etc.

So the iqama is read and people form lines, I went to the farthest side on front row. And of course the most salafi looking dude had to be next to me, wearing a white shemagh and thobe and feet wiiiiiide apart.

I wait for takbir and people to commence before putting my turbah out in front, legs shaking like crazy (smh).

Did everything wajib, raised hands etc. Left out qunut being mustahab and the 3 takbir at the end. 

Done some tasbih Fatimat Zahra as and left.

I know this whole scenario may seem ridiculuous to those among us used to praying with Sunnis, but I always just imagined the worst or someone taking away my turbah etc, especially if anyone knows how entrenched wahabism is in the London Sunni scene.

I felt a wave of relief and although most probably did not see, I think I will return and also pray nafila too.

Some may question what purpose there is in this. Some may say for unity. But honestly I just missed praying in congregation.

Who knows it could rouse some curiosity in others, like that revert brother to investigate further.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

4 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Some may question what purpose there is in this. Some may say for unity. But honestly I just missed praying in congregation.

Who knows it could rouse some curiosity in others, like that revert brother to investigate further.

Salam if you can continue it may cause creating questions in mind of new revert that leads him to Shia Islam because many of Salafis & Sunnis are affected with negative propaganda about praying of Shias that your action shows that these propagandas are not true 

There is a famous hadith from Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) regarding standing in the first row of such a congregation.

You must make the intention of praying individually. 

If you are uncomfortable with the turbah consider using a straw mat instead. If questioned you can explain that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) didn't make his sujood on carpets.

Wallahu a'lam 

3 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

You said you prayed im congregation? 

I mean while praying behind a Sunni scholar we have to do furada niyyah, so it's not congregation. 

I understand. I recited surahs and dhikr to myself.

to be honest I just made intentionto perform salatul asr. I didn't take into account whether it being individual or congregational

3 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

I understand. I recited surahs and dhikr to myself.

to be honest I just made intentionto perform salatul asr. I didn't take into account whether it being individual or congregational

2Question: Is it permissible for me to pray behind a Sunni Imam for Friday and for regular congregational prayers, and is it required to prostrate on Turbah inside a mosque, for example, in the mosque of the holy city of Medina?
Answer: Taking part in Friday and congregational prayers of the Ahl-e Sunnat is permissible in areas where Taqiyah (dissimulation) is required. If you are not going to face a problem, you should, as far as possible, prostrate on something upon which Sajda (prostration) is permissible. Prostration on carpets in the case of Taqiyah or out of necessity is permissible and there would be no objection in it. Also, it is obligatory upon you to recite first chapter al-Hamd and the second chapter yourself – with the recitation in a low voice though. 
In any case, Friday prayers performed with them is not sufficient for Dhuhr prayers. Therefore, it is necessary to perform Dhuhr prayers separately.

The first part (in bold) talks about congregation. It says it is permissible where Taqaiyah is required. Does that mean if we can pray at home or at Shia mosque (as you were doing for 7 years) we shouldn't pray behind a Sunni scholar. 

https://www.Sistani.org/english/qa/01154/

Sistani also says:

3Question: Can one say one’s congregational prayer behind a Sunni Imam with the intention of Jama'at (congregation)? And should one recite al-hamd on his own?

Answer: It is permissible to offer prayer in their congregational prayer. However, it is obligatory upon you to recite al-Hamd and Sura-e Tawhid yourself – be the recitation in low voice though.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

38 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:
2Question: Is it permissible for me to pray behind a Sunni Imam for Friday and for regular congregational prayers, and is it required to prostrate on Turbah inside a mosque, for example, in the mosque of the holy city of Medina?
Answer: Taking part in Friday and congregational prayers of the Ahl-e Sunnat is permissible in areas where Taqiyah (dissimulation) is required. If you are not going to face a problem, you should, as far as possible, prostrate on something upon which Sajda (prostration) is permissible. Prostration on carpets in the case of Taqiyah or out of necessity is permissible and there would be no objection in it. Also, it is obligatory upon you to recite first chapter al-Hamd and the second chapter yourself – with the recitation in a low voice though. 
In any case, Friday prayers performed with them is not sufficient for Dhuhr prayers. Therefore, it is necessary to perform Dhuhr prayers separately.

The first part (in bold) talks about congregation. It says it is permissible where Taqaiyah is required. Does that mean if we can pray at home or at Shia mosque (as you were doing for 7 years) we shouldn't pray behind a Sunni scholar. 

https://www.Sistani.org/english/qa/01154/

Wouldn't it all be so much easier for the sake of unity if any Muslim could pray behind another Muslim regardless of sect.

Like in Oman for example an Imam is an Imam wether a Sunni, zaidi Shia, twelver Shia or ibadi.

Edited by Faruk

1 minute ago, Faruk said:

Wouldn't it all be so much easier for the sake of unity if any Muslim can pray behind anpther Muslim regardless of sect.

Like im Oman for example an Imam is an imsm wether Sunni, zaidi Shia, twelver Shia or ibadi.

Our obligatory prayer is one of the most important acts of worship. Even being a twelver is not enough, one must be aadil in order to lead prayers. Being aadil means to refrain from greater sins and to not be repetitive with lesser sins. 

In situations where I am standing in a congregation where the Imam does not fulfill the criteria, I prefer to silently pray nawafil and then offer my obligatory prayer on my own after the congregation has dispersed.

Wallahu a'lam.

8 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Sistani also says:

3Question: Can one say one’s congregational prayer behind a Sunni Imam with the intention of Jama'at (congregation)? And should one recite al-hamd on his own?

Answer: It is permissible to offer prayer in their congregational prayer. However, it is obligatory upon you to recite al-Hamd and Sura-e Tawhid yourself – be the recitation in low voice though.

Thanks. This one and the one I posted seems a bit contradictory. 

2 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Prayers >>.. unity. 

What do you mean?

Do you agree, disagree or something else?

Edited by Faruk

Just now, Faruk said:

What do you mean?

I cannot compromise my faith (Prayers in this case) to help for unity. If my Maraja doesn't permit me to offer congregational prayer behind a Sunni Imam then I can't, doesn't matter if the case doesn't help with unity. 

13 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

I cannot compromise my faith (Prayers in this case) to help for unity. If my Maraja doesn't permit me to offer congregational prayer behind a Sunni Imam then I can't, doesn't matter if the case doesn't help with unity. 

Just for clarity.

Is aTwelver Muslim allowed to pray behind a Sunni Muslim as long he prostrates on a Turbah or is he not at all allowef to pray behind a Sunni Muslim?

Edited by Faruk