Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Is it just me or....I find so many "Ex-Muslim" Videos on my Algorithm?

Rate this topic

Whenever I'm on Youtube, my feed is rife with these "Ex-Muslim" videos declaring they are no longer Muslim or why they left Islam.

I honestly couldn't care less what they do with their lives but these algorithms need to chill.

Curiosity also shows me so many in the comments are saying they too are Ex-Muslim from so and so Muslim-majority country.

Like where were all these people in the last decade or two? One rarely came across these people before only fleetingly.

Either this large number was always there but has been magnified due to social media and the chance to be anonymous in doing so, or it is another of these annoying millenial social trends we see. Maybe a bit of both.

Am I the only one seeing this stuff? Along with anti-Shia videos in addition to the regular Shia videos/channels I watch.

I have seen a few too. You just have to look at the huge amount of views they get to realise that it's a carefully constructed media campaign initiated by the power of media companies. Somebody is making a lot of money. Its a false representation.

My advice is don't give them the boost or make them rich by watching such videos. I am completely detached from news and popular culture now. 

Edited by Murtaza1

24 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

I honestly couldn't care less what they do with their lives but these algorithms need to chill.

Your feed depends on many factors. Your browsing habit, what you searched, what video you watched full-length, what videos you clicked 'like', if someone browsed from same browser before, local content, sponsored content, SEO for videos, etc. 

You can click on three dots besides/below the video and tap 'Not interested'. Do same for the channels if you notice all those videos from a common channel.

Edited by Sirius_Bright

5 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Your feed depends on many factors. Your browsing habit, what you searched, what video you watched full-length, what videos you clicked 'like', if someone browsed from same browser before, local content, sponsored content, SEO for videos, etc. 

You can click on three dots besides/below the video and tap 'Not interested'. Do same for the channels if you notice all those videos from a common channel.

Yes I know, I've been doing that but they still show. I guess Islam/Muslim in the title inevitably will be linked to videos about Ex Muslims due to the related key words etc

I havent seen any.

But our Muslim nation has been flourishing and very civilized. It looks upon humanity more than anything else. It doesnt maximize stupid things, and minimize personal matters. We don’t judge people according to their faith or their belief. Our Muslim nation is at peace, no wars at all. We are united to an extent little tweets don’t cause division at all.

So I am shocked to find out many people are leaving the faith. :shock:

4 minutes ago, Muhammed Ali said:

I have noticed a greater number of ex-Muslims in person in recent years. Anyone else experienced that? I think the phenomena linked to ISIS played a major role in some Muslims questioning Islam.

Stop blaming others. If as Shia we don’t accept our own flaws and inconsistencies and exaggerations, kiss this religion good bye. With the internet, its easier to find questionable actions or books by our faith. And our scholars have specialties in giving no remarks whatsoever over questionable matters or controversial matters. They kept them concealed before but not with the internet everything is open. And whoever DARES open those files to refute them is attacked verbally because we have become a reigion that follows traditions and emotions rather than the truth.

The people watching these videos are probably non-Muslims that want to hear negative things about Islam, there is no shortage of such people in the world because their minds are already conditioned by the media to think that way. So don’t let the huge numbers of views make you think that people are leaving their religion because its not true. 

Edited by Murtaza1

It would be pretty weird for Google to undertake a project like this.  Controversial topics are just naturally more popular.  At the end of the day it is just algorithms and they have severe flaws, especially when it comes to determining what individuals are really interested in watching.

2 hours ago, Reza said:

For anyone who has stomached these videos, what are their main points?

The only one I watched (yeah I know, not helping my feed) was this well known white former revert who then after 16 or so years defending Islam online went back to being Christian.

To cut a long story short, he felt he could no longer justify or defend the Prophet's (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) moral conduct as he saw it, in particular on the verse many of us are familiar with (albeit a different reason), which is 4:24.

Not the Mutah part but "And [also prohibited to you are all] married women except those your right hands possess."

Because he argues it condones rape of female captives/slaves - even if married already. He cited ahadith in a footnote in Ibn Kathir's tafsir in which Companions were uncomfortable about having relations with captives already married, and the narration goes that the Prophet waited for this verse to be revealed in regards to the issue and gave the permission for them to do so. 

My brother is a murtad. He said he left Islam when he was 13 years old.

The problem is in the media. When the digital media industry had it’s expansion in the world in the early 21th century along with the internet, the message of Islam was not brought to light. But when it did, it was in the hands of the enemies of Islam.  But I would say not to be pessimistic, this is just the beginning. It is our turn now.  

29 minutes ago, Reza said:

For anyone who has stomached these videos, what are their main points?

In my experience, their main point's is ISIS and how secularism is the way to go, also their knowledge of Islam comes from Sunni hadith. 

1 hour ago, rkazmi33 said:

Well! This video clearly states that at the end of times, only people with money will be able to save their faith. I guess that's the answer. Poor people are leaving religion. 

I mean, I've not watched this but I always understood the majority of inhabitants of Jannah will be the poor. Those with riches have more temptations. 

Also generally, the poorer tend to be more religious and content with a simple life. From what I've been seeing with this whole look at me I'm an Ex-Muslim trend, they seem to be young  middle class, university educated.

24 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

I mean, I've not watched this but I always understood the majority of inhabitants of Jannah will be the poor. Those with riches have more temptations. 

Also generally, the poorer tend to be more religious and content with a simple life. From what I've been seeing with this whole look at me I'm an Ex-Muslim trend, they seem to be young  middle class, university educated.

This video is specifically talking about the end of times. The ex-Muslims, which you have seen, how are they doing in their careers? If they are university educated, they might have debts. Also, you can be middle class, but you can feel poor if you are not successful. You don't get respect from your family and you are constantly humiliated, you feel poor. 

There are way too many facets of apostasy in the current times. Its on the rise and its almost plaguing the Muslim society in the west. The core factor is the rise of "Neo-atheist" movement after 9/11. Public speakers and commentators like Hitchens , Dawkins , Harris et al have made a great impact on the minds of people who look at Islam from its media portrait of Al-Qaeda and ISIS.

Secondly , Atheism or anti-theism is a product of the social evolution post enlightenment. Christianity , particularly the Protestantism has evolved along with the various strains of scientific and philosophical evolution of atheism so they can better deal with the domestic devil while Muslims are alien to all this. There are various Christian speakers and philosophers like Alvin Plantinga or William Lane Craig who can handle the modern day doubts very well but there is no such character in the Muslim world. All we have are copy cat punks like Adam Deen  or that Hamza guy. Academic scholarship has long passed away in the Muslim world.

Thirdly , the moral calculus of the western world is in a clear conflict with the moral calculus of Islam. Various of Islam related moral pretensions are considered barbaric in the current times and its very much easy to make a moral argument against Islam (or Muslims) these days.

There's an impression that liberal, secular values and lifestyles yield forward thinking, enlightenment, scientific progress, material prosperity, moderation, justice, personal liberty, peace, and unity. On the other hand, religion (Islam included) is seen as outdated, dogmatic, regressive, divisive, and prone to extremism and corruption, and best suited as a benign cultural appendage.

Their proof? "Look around you". 

And we're not talking just "Ex-Muslims" or cultural Muslims, but this thought system permeates even those who consider themselves religious and practicing (although presented in more subtle ways).

I have also found many videos like this on the algorithm. What is common between these videos is that they have left due to some emotional reason or a supposed incompatibility between western liberalism. Well we are living in the final days so it will be expected that shaitan will push the agenda of favouring your desires 

14 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

The only one I watched (yeah I know, not helping my feed) was this well known white former revert who then after 16 or so years defending Islam online went back to being Christian.

To cut a long story short, he felt he could no longer justify or defend the Prophet's (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) moral conduct as he saw it, in particular on the verse many of us are familiar with (albeit a different reason), which is 4:24.

Not the Mutah part but "And [also prohibited to you are all] married women except those your right hands possess."

Because he argues it condones rape of female captives/slaves - even if married already. He cited ahadith in a footnote in Ibn Kathir's tafsir in which Companions were uncomfortable about having relations with captives already married, and the narration goes that the Prophet waited for this verse to be revealed in regards to the issue and gave the permission for them to do so. 

I remember this person make some anti Shia comments in the past so not a great lose for me honnestly. 

12 hours ago, Qa'im said:

I probably know about a dozen or so apostates in my immediate circle, and maybe 50 or 60 Muslims who stopped practicing altogether. It's a big problem where I live. I don't give up on them, but one category are just foam that will go wherever the sea will take them, while the other (smaller) category are vile, destructive people.

Sometimes I find "'non practicing" Muslims even worst than so called ex Muslims. 

There is a lot of evidence that Youtube and Google and others are part of the enemy. They support the Zionists always for example and censor the enemies of our enemies.

I am sure they show something more then they should, and others less then they should. This could be the case here as well.

https://youtu.be/pSzm5Or7EYg?t=10m

WARNING: they show a picture of women (youtube boss) in haram and inappropriate clothes sitting together. 

14 hours ago, Hadeel said:

My brother is a murtad. He said he left Islam when he was 13 years old.

The problem is in the media. When the digital media industry had it’s expansion in the world in the early 21th century along with the internet, the message of Islam was not brought to light. But when it did, it was in the hands of the enemies of Islam.  But I would say not to be pessimistic, this is just the beginning. It is our turn now.  

In my experience, their main point's is ISIS and how secularism is the way to go, also their knowledge of Islam comes from Sunni hadith. 

We are all influenced to be who we are at this or any point because of 2 factors:
- The Environment

- Our self.

No matter how bad the media, the environment; Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is Just, Knows Best. He knows the burdens, opportunities, and responsibilities. The intelligence of a certain person as well.

16 hours ago, BowTie said:

Stop blaming others. If as Shia we don’t accept our own flaws and inconsistencies and exaggerations, kiss this religion good bye. With the internet, its easier to find questionable actions or books by our faith. And our scholars have specialties in giving no remarks whatsoever over questionable matters or controversial matters. They kept them concealed before but not with the internet everything is open. And whoever DARES open those files to refute them is attacked verbally because we have become a reigion that follows traditions and emotions rather than the truth.

Where am I only blaming others? I believe that ISIS was a major factor but not the only one.

I do agree that the clerics have done a terrible job dealing with some of the matters that you have mentioned. I don't necessarily think that many of them are against any improvements in that area, I think it may be a case of incompetence or unawareness. And the situation is even worse in more fundamental areas such as natural theology.

However I believe that about 15 years ago things were different in regards to apostasy. Anti-Islamic websites did exist with all the negative material, but how many Muslims even visit them? Most Muslims read nothing about their religion. ISIS had a major impact because they highlighted the very worst of what Islamic history has to offer. Issues such as slavery where not even considered by some Muslims before the appearance of ISIS. 

1 hour ago, Muhammed Ali said:

Most Muslims read nothing about their religion. 

If scholars spoke benefeicial things, do you think it would have been that hard?

Muslim scholars always think they are on one level and the human race are on a lower level. Well, the normal humans like us will have an issue when scholars don’t want to know about the hardship and daily life of a normal person. They give commands and orders as if we live in the days of the Prophet. Practically, most of our scholars and community leaders have their time stop 1,300 years ago. 

This will never attract anyone to the beautiful faith.

16 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

You misunderstood meaning of poor Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) were always active about gaining money but they were spending all of their wealth for Muslims so that they were consider as poor people but people like as Ummayid & Abbasid rulers were highly active in gaining wealth & keep it to themselves that these type of rich people will ask about the money that they kept & didn’t spend it for Muslims like as Wahabists that they gain enourmes wealth but their spending money is just for destroying Islam despite they consume large amounts of money to build  big mosques that outcome of their mosques is hurting Muslims but they keep highest share of this wealth for themselves that lavish lifestyle of Saudi monarchies & Saudi moftis is an example of it .

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

32 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

You misunderstood meaning of poor Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) were always active about gaining money but they were spending all of their wealth for Muslims so that they were consider as poor people but people like as Ummayid & Abbasid rulers were highly active in gaining wealth & keep it to themselves that these type of rich people will ask about the money that they kept & didn’t spend it for Muslims like as Wahabists that they gain enourmes wealth but their spending money is just for destroying Islam despite they consume large amounts of money to build  big mosques that outcome of their mosques is hurting Muslims but they keep highest share of this wealth for themselves that lavish lifestyle of Saudi monarchies & Saudi moftis is an example of it .

The value of being poor also reminds me how wealthy people with pride and arrogance used to wear clothing below the ankles in the days of the Prophet (peace be upon him) signifying their wealth, pride and arrogance, hence the reason why Sunnis wear clothing above the ankles, although I do not believe that applies to us, it's what Sunnis do.

Also anybody who cannot afford to go to Mecca for pilgrimage is excused. 

Edited by Murtaza1

2 hours ago, BowTie said:

If scholars spoke benefeicial things, do you think it would have been that hard?

Muslim scholars always think they are on one level and the human race are on a lower level. Well, the normal humans like us will have an issue when scholars don’t want to know about the hardship and daily life of a normal person. They give commands and orders as if we live in the days of the Prophet. Practically, most of our scholars and community leaders have their time stop 1,300 years ago. 

This will never attract anyone to the beautiful faith.

I don't disagree that speakers could do more to speak about things that inspire people to read. But even then most wont do much. What is needed is greater than that. The whole culture of education has to change.

We can't remove the blame from people who do not even have the curiosity to read about the most important subjects in life.

3 hours ago, Muhammed Ali said:

We can't remove the blame from people who do not even have the curiosity to read about the most important subjects in life.

I agree with you. Because I understand your argument. But also I can refute your argument with other peoples point of view by saying “when we see civilization and humanity and respect, how do you want us to follow a religion where most of the their communities are the opposite of this”

And they have a point also. We were lucky to be guided to the beautiful faith of Islam. Everyone passes through experiences in life that make a person reaches certain conclusions.