Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Jaane Rabb

Prophet's knowledge of the Qur'an

Rate this topic

Salaam

Did the Prophet [pbuf&hf] have complete knowledge of the Qur'an since birth [or even before]? What is the clear Quranic evidence for this?

If the answer is yes, how do you explain the fact that Gibrael used to come to him with revelation? What is the need for Gibrael to come when the Prophet already has the knowledge?

How do you explain Surah Furqaan, verse 32 where Allah seemingly talks about gradual revelation to the Prophet in order to strengthen his heart?

Other verses such as 11:49, 12:3, 4:164, suggest that the Prophet did not know. Allah says statements like "This is the news from the unseen which we reveal to you, which you knew not before this".

If the answer is that the Prophet must have known the Qur'an hence why he could live a perfect life before Prophethood. Then surely we could say the same about Musa [as]. But about Musa [as], Allah says in 28:14, "And when he attained his maturity and became full grown, We granted him wisdom and knowledge; and thus do We reward those who do good (to others)."

And in 26:21, Musa [as] seems to suggest he attained Prophethood later in his life when he says to Pharoah "So I fled from you when I feared you, then my Lord granted me wisdom and made me of the messengers".

Fi Amanillah

Edited by Jaane Ya Ali

I think your looking at this issue from the wrong perspective. My understand is as follows.

The holy books are an example of how the principles of religion are to be interpreted for particular times and situations. The knowledge that the Prophets have is the knowledge of those principles and how to apply them. This must be the case as the Prophets are living examples to follow, hence, they must know the principles of religion. The books themselves are primary of wisdom, consisting of principles and laws. The law element is subject to change, we know the laws of older Prophets are different to that of later ones, however the principles behind them have not changed. 

1 hour ago, Jaane Ya Ali said:

Did the Prophet [pbuf&hf] have complete knowledge of the Qur'an since birth [or even before]? What is the clear Quranic evidence for this?

So my answer would be yes of the principles, not necessarily the word for word order or the specific content. However, this is just my understanding, and I welcome other comments. The fact that there were abrogations and verses revealed based on circumstances suggests that the Qur'an was compiled to meet societies needs. 

I have heard that whenever the Prophet (peace be upon him) received a verse he would experience physical sensations which were uncomfortable to him. So I think this suggests the verses were revealed gradually according to the needs, situations and circumstances of the society of that time, but those examples are also for the purpose of our and future generations because they are a setting stone of principles and examples of Allah's (subhana wa tala) religion.

Salam 

I haven't heard too many argue this. Though I can imagine it is present in circles of ghuluu and advocates of wilayah altakweeniya. 

There's no evidence to suggest he knew the Qur'an prior. To the contrary there are many verses that show Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gradually guiding the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). 

Sura al-Duha and reported situation around it's revelation comes to mind - Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) seems to be reminding the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) that He has not been abandoned  but infact he's been with him since childhood. Also that he was "thal" prior to the revelation. Now thal has a wide range of definitions. I'm more inclined to think in this sitiation it means wandering , or lost. This is all relative though. He wasn't thal compared to the mushrikeen in my opinion. 

But if you compare the before and after - it's a dynamic shift for him as a person. 

Edited by Fink

:bismillah:

Surah Al-Jumua, Verse 2:

هُوَ الَّذِي بَعَثَ فِي الْأُمِّيِّينَ رَسُولًا مِّنْهُمْ يَتْلُو عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِهِ وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَإِن كَانُوا مِن قَبْلُ لَفِي ضَلَالٍ مُّبِينٍ

He it is Who raised among the inhabitants of Mecca an Apostle from among themselves, who recites to them His communications and purifies them, and teaches them the Book and the Wisdom, although they were before certainly in clear error, (English - Shakir) 

This verse mentions the mission of Prophet (S)

1. يَتْلُو عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِهِ

2. وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ

3. وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ

I don’t think I need to say anything further. 

It is sad to note few brothers are still in ضَلَالٍ مُّبِينٍ

8 minutes ago, Leibniz said:

There is a clear verse in Qur'an which shatters the belief of by birth Prophet. Duha 93 وَوَجَدَكَ ضَالًّا فَهَدَىٰ ( God found you lost and then guided you)

Salaam brother,

Qur'an is Kalaam of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and not an ordinary book. It requires representative of Allah to interpret it. Throwing verses like that without understanding it's correct interpretation is only inappropriate. 

And from him, from Tameem Bin Abdullah Bin Tameem Al-Qarshy, from his father, from Hamaad Bin Suleyman Al-Neysaboury, from Ali Bin Muhammad Bin Al-Jaham who said: 

‘I was present in a gathering of Al-Mamoun’ - and he mentioned the Hadeeth in which is the mention of the Verses which Mamoun asked Al-Reza (عليه السلام) regarding the infallibility of the Prophets. 

‘Al-Reza said: ‘Allah the Exalted Said to His Prophet : Did He not Find you an orphan so He Sheltered? [93:6], He is Saying: “Did He not Find you as alone, so He Sheltered the people to you?”

And Found you lost so He Guided? [93:7] - meaning (lost) in the presence of your people, so He Guided, I.e. Guided them to recognising you. 

And Found you in need, so He Enriched? [93:8] - so He is Saying: “Enriched you by Making your supplications to be Answered”’.

So Al-Mamoun said, ‘May Allah Bless you, O son of Rasool-Allah'.

(Uyoone Akhbaare Reza, vol. 1, chapter 23)

27 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Qur'an is Kalaam of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and not an ordinary book. It requires representative of Allah to interpret it. Throwing verses like that without understanding it's correct interpretation is only inappropriate.

Allamah Muhammad Hussein Tabatabai [Preface of Al-Mizan]:

The Qur’ãn introduces itself as the guidance for the worlds(3:96); the manifest light(4:174), and the explanation of every thing(16:89). But these people, contrary to those Qur’ãnic declarations, make it to be guided by extraneous factors, to be illuminated by some outside theories, and to be explained by something other than itself! What is that “something else"? What authority has it got? And if there is any difference in various explanations of a verse —and indeed there are most serious differences — which mediator should the Qur’ãn refer to?
There are two ways of explaining a verse — One may say: “What does the Qur’ãn say?” Or on may say: “How can this verse be explained, so as to fit on my belief?” The difference between the two approaches is quite clear. The former forgets every pre-conceived idea and goes where the Qur’ãn leads him to. The latter has already decided what to believe and cuts the Qur’ãnic verses to fit on that body; such an exegesis is no exegesis at all
The exegete explains the verse with the help of other relevant verses, meditating on them together — and meditation has been forcefully urged upon by the Qur’ãn itself — and identifies the individual person or thing by its particulars and attributes mentioned in the verse. No doubt this is the only correct method of exegesis. Allãh has said:and We have revealed the Book to you explaining clearly everything(16:89). Is it possible for such a book not to explain its own self?
Also He has described the Qur’ãn in these words:a guidance for mankind and clear evidence of guidance and discrimination(between wrong)(2:185); and He has also said:and We have sent down to you a manifest light(4:174). The Qur’ãn is, accordingly, a guidance,an evidence, a discrimination between right and wrong and a manifest light for the people to guide them aright and help them in all their needs. Is it imaginable that it would not guide them aright in its own matter, while it is their most important need?Again Allãh says:And (as for) those who strive hard for Us, We will most certainly guide them onto Our ways(29:69). Which striving is greater than the endeavour to understand His Book? And which way is more straight than the Qur’ãn?

Edited by Jaane Ya Ali

Here's some more ayats to add to the mix for discussing their meanings and translations. The Qur'an is the book of Allah that cannot have any contradictions. Alas, we must make all these ayahs work together in perfect harmony. Sorry for the long post. Normally I post with links to the different translations, but bit difficult to do that whilst on mobile.

Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) said:

قُلْ أَغَيْرَ اللَّهِ أَتَّخِذُ وَلِيًّا فَاطِرِ السَّمٰوٰتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَهُوَ يُطْعِمُ وَلَا يُطْعَمُ  ۗ  قُلْ إِنِّىٓ أُمِرْتُ أَنْ أَكُونَ أَوَّلَ مَنْ أَسْلَمَ  ۖ  وَلَا تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ
"Say, Is it other than Allah I should take as a protector, Creator of the heavens and the Earth, while it is He who feeds and is not fed? Say, [O Muhammad], Indeed, I have been commanded to be the first [among you] who submit [to Allah] and [was commanded], 'Do not ever be of the polytheists.' "
(QS. Al-An'aam 6: Verse 14)

إِنَّمَآ أُمِرْتُ أَنْ أَعْبُدَ رَبَّ هٰذِهِ الْبَلْدَةِ الَّذِى حَرَّمَهَا وَلَهُۥ كُلُّ شَىْءٍ  ۖ  وَأُمِرْتُ أَنْ أَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ
"[Say, O Muhammad], I have only been commanded to worship the Lord of this city, who made it sacred and to whom [belongs] all things. And I am commanded to be of the Muslims [those who submit to Allah]"
(QS. An-Naml 27: Verse 91)

قُلْ يٰٓأَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ فِى شَكٍّ مِّنْ دِينِى فَلَآ أَعْبُدُ الَّذِينَ تَعْبُدُونَ مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ وَلٰكِنْ أَعْبُدُ اللَّهَ الَّذِى يَتَوَفّٰىكُمْ  ۖ  وَأُمِرْتُ أَنْ أَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ
"Say, [O Muhammad], O people, if you are in doubt as to my religion - then I do not worship those which you worship besides Allah; but I worship Allah, who causes your death. And I have been commanded to be of the believers"
(QS. Yunus 10: Verse 104)

وَأَنْ أَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا وَلَا تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ
"And [commanded], 'Direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth, and never be of those who associate others with Allah;"
(QS. Yunus 10: Verse 105)

وَكَذٰلِكَ أَوْحَيْنَآ إِلَيْكَ رُوحًا مِّنْ أَمْرِنَا  ۚ  مَا كُنْتَ تَدْرِى مَا الْكِتٰبُ وَلَا الْإِيمٰنُ وَلٰكِنْ جَعَلْنٰهُ نُورًا نَّهْدِى بِهِۦ مَنْ نَّشَآءُ مِنْ عِبَادِنَا  ۚ  وَإِنَّكَ لَتَهْدِىٓ إِلٰى صِرٰطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ
"And thus We have revealed to you an inspiration of Our command. You did not know what is the Book or [what is] faith, but We have made it a light by which We guide whom We will of Our servants. And indeed, [O Muhammad], you guide to a straight path -"
(QS. Ash-Shura 42: Verse 52)

فَتَعٰلَى اللَّهُ الْمَلِكُ الْحَقُّ  ۗ  وَلَا تَعْجَلْ بِالْقُرْءَانِ مِنْ قَبْلِ أَنْ يُقْضٰىٓ إِلَيْكَ وَحْيُهُۥ  ۖ  وَقُل رَّبِّ زِدْنِى عِلْمًا
"So high [above all] is Allah, the Sovereign, the Truth. And, [O Muhammad], do not hasten with [recitation of] the Qur'an before its revelation is completed to you, and say, My Lord, increase me in knowledge."
(QS. Taa-Haa 20: Verse 114)

وَمِمَّنْ حَوْلَكُمْ مِّنَ الْأَعْرَابِ مُنٰفِقُونَ  ۖ  وَمِنْ أَهْلِ الْمَدِينَةِ  ۖ  مَرَدُوا عَلَى النِّفَاقِ لَا تَعْلَمُهُمْ  ۖ  نَحْنُ نَعْلَمُهُمْ  ۚ  سَنُعَذِّبُهُمْ مَّرَّتَيْنِ ثُمَّ يُرَدُّونَ إِلٰى عَذَابٍ عَظِيمٍ
"And among those around you of the bedouins are hypocrites, and [also] from the people of Madinah. They have become accustomed to hypocrisy. You, [O Muhammad], do not know them, [but] We know them. We will punish them twice [in this world]; then they will be returned to a great punishment."
(QS. At-Tawba 9: Verse 101)

قُل لَّآ أَمْلِكُ لِنَفْسِى نَفْعًا وَلَا ضَرًّا إِلَّا مَا شَآءَ اللَّهُ  ۚ  وَلَوْ كُنْتُ أَعْلَمُ الْغَيْبَ لَاسْتَكْثَرْتُ مِنَ الْخَيْرِ وَمَا مَسَّنِىَ السُّوٓءُ  ۚ  إِنْ أَنَا۠ إِلَّا نَذِيرٌ وَبَشِيرٌ لِّقَوْمٍ يُؤْمِنُونَ
"Say, I hold not for myself [the power of] benefit or harm, except what Allah has willed. And if I knew the unseen, I could have acquired much wealth, and no harm would have touched me. I am not except a warner and a bringer of good tidings to a people who believe."
(QS. Al-A'raaf 7: Verse 188)

قُل لَّآ أَقُولُ لَكُمْ عِنْدِى خَزَآئِنُ اللَّهِ وَلَآ أَعْلَمُ الْغَيْبَ وَلَآ أَقُولُ لَكُمْ إِنِّى مَلَكٌ  ۖ  إِنْ أَتَّبِعُ إِلَّا مَا يُوحٰىٓ إِلَىَّ  ۚ  قُلْ هَلْ يَسْتَوِى الْأَعْمٰى وَالْبَصِيرُ  ۚ  أَفَلَا تَتَفَكَّرُونَ
"Say, [O Muhammad], I do not tell you that I have the depositories [containing the provision] of Allah or that I know the unseen, nor do I tell you that I am an angel. I only follow what is revealed to me. Say, Is the blind equivalent to the seeing? Then will you not give thought?"
(QS. Al-An'aam 6: Verse 50)

قُل لَّا يَعْلَمُ مَنْ فِى السَّمٰوٰتِ وَالْأَرْضِ الْغَيْبَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ  ۚ  وَمَا يَشْعُرُونَ أَيَّانَ يُبْعَثُونَ
"Say, None in the heavens and Earth knows the unseen except Allah, and they do not perceive when they will be resurrected."
(QS. An-Naml 27: Verse 65)

وَعِنْدَهُۥ مَفَاتِحُ الْغَيْبِ لَا يَعْلَمُهَآ إِلَّا هُوَ  ۚ  وَيَعْلَمُ مَا فِى الْبَرِّ وَالْبَحْرِ  ۚ  وَمَا تَسْقُطُ مِنْ وَرَقَةٍ إِلَّا يَعْلَمُهَا وَلَا حَبَّةٍ فِى ظُلُمٰتِ الْأَرْضِ وَلَا رَطْبٍ وَلَا يَابِسٍ إِلَّا فِى كِتٰبٍ مُّبِينٍ
"And with Him are the keys of the unseen; none knows them except Him. And He knows what is on the land and in the sea. Not a leaf falls but that He knows it. And no grain is there within the darknesses of the Earth and no moist or dry [thing] but that it is [written] in a clear record."
(QS. Al-An'aam 6: Verse 59)

مَا ضَلَّ صَاحِبُكُمْ وَمَا غَوٰى
"Your companion [Muhammad] has not strayed, nor has he erred,"
(QS. An-Najm 53: Verse 2)

وَمَا يَنْطِقُ عَنِ الْهَوٰىٓ
"Nor does he speak from [his own] inclination."
(QS. An-Najm 53: Verse 3)

إِنْ هُوَ إِلَّا وَحْىٌ يُوحٰى
"It is not but a revelation revealed,"
(QS. An-Najm 53: Verse 4)

عَلَّمَهُۥ شَدِيدُ الْقُوٰى
"Taught to him by one intense in strength -"
(QS. An-Najm 53: Verse 5)

يٰٓأَيُّهَا النَّبِىُّ اتَّقِ اللَّهَ وَلَا تُطِعِ الْكٰفِرِينَ وَالْمُنٰفِقِينَ  ۗ  إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلِيمًا حَكِيمًا
"O Prophet, fear Allah and do not obey the disbelievers and the hypocrites. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Wise."
(QS. Al-Ahzaab 33: Verse 1)

وَاتَّبِعْ مَا يُوحٰىٓ إِلَيْكَ مِنْ رَّبِّكَ  ۚ  إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرًا
"And follow that which is revealed to you from your Lord. Indeed Allah is ever, with what you do, Acquainted."
(QS. Al-Ahzaab 33: Verse 2)

ثُمَّ أَوْحَيْنَآ إِلَيْكَ أَنِ اتَّبِعْ مِلَّةَ إِبْرٰهِيمَ حَنِيفًا  ۖ  وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ
"Then We revealed to you, [O Muhammad], to follow the religion of Abraham, inclining toward truth; and he was not of those who associate with Allah."
(QS. An-Nahl 16: Verse 123)

قُلْ إِنَّنِى هَدٰىنِى رَبِّىٓ إِلٰى صِرٰطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ دِينًا قِيَمًا مِّلَّةَ إِبْرٰهِيمَ حَنِيفًا  ۚ  وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ
"Say, Indeed, my Lord has guided me to a straight path - a correct religion - the way of Abraham, inclining toward truth. And he was not among those who associated others with Allah."
(QS. Al-An'aam 6: Verse 161)

اتَّبِعْ مَآ أُوحِىَ إِلَيْكَ مِنْ رَّبِّكَ  ۖ  لَآ إِلٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ  ۖ  وَأَعْرِضْ عَنِ الْمُشْرِكِينَ
"Follow, [O Muhammad], what has been revealed to you from your Lord - there is no deity except Him - and turn away from those who associate others with Allah."
(QS. Al-An'aam 6: Verse 106)

ءَامَنَ الرَّسُولُ بِمَآ أُنْزِلَ إِلَيْهِ مِنْ رَّبِّهِۦ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ  ۚ  كُلٌّ ءَامَنَ بِاللَّهِ وَمَلٰٓئِكَتِهِۦ وَكُتُبِهِۦ وَرُسُلِهِۦ لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِّنْ رُّسُلِهِۦ  ۚ  وَقَالُوا سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا  ۖ  غُفْرَانَكَ رَبَّنَا وَإِلَيْكَ الْمَصِيرُ
"The Messenger has believed in what was revealed to him from his Lord, and [so have] the believers. All of them have believed in Allah and His angels and His books and His messengers, [saying], We make no distinction between any of His messengers. And they say, We hear and we obey. [We seek] Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the [final] destination."
(QS. Al-Baqara 2: Verse 285)

قُلْ مَنْ كَانَ عَدُوًّا لِّجِبْرِيلَ فَإِنَّهُۥ نَزَّلَهُۥ عَلٰى قَلْبِكَ بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَهُدًى وَبُشْرٰى لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ
"Say, Whoever is an enemy to Gabriel - it is [none but] he who has brought the Qur'an down upon your heart, [O Muhammad], by permission of Allah, confirming that which was before it and as guidance and good tidings for the believers."
(QS. Al-Baqara 2: Verse 97)

نَزَلَ بِهِ الرُّوحُ الْأَمِينُ
"The Trustworthy Spirit has brought it down"
(QS. Ash-Shu'araa 26: Verse 193)

عَلٰى قَلْبِكَ لِتَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُنْذِرِينَ
"Upon your heart, [O Muhammad] - that you may be of the warners -"
(QS. Ash-Shu'araa 26: Verse 194)

قُلْ إِنْ ضَلَلْتُ فَإِنَّمَآ أَضِلُّ عَلٰى نَفْسِى  ۖ  وَإِنِ اهْتَدَيْتُ فَبِمَا يُوحِىٓ إِلَىَّ رَبِّىٓ  ۚ  إِنَّهُۥ سَمِيعٌ قَرِيبٌ
"Say, If I should err, I would only err against myself. But if I am guided, it is by what my Lord reveals to me. Indeed, He is Hearing and near."
(QS. Saba 34: Verse 50)

فَإِنْ كُنْتَ فِى شَكٍّ مِّمَّآ أَنْزَلْنَآ إِلَيْكَ فَسْئَلِ الَّذِينَ يَقْرَءُونَ الْكِتٰبَ مِنْ قَبْلِكَ  ۚ  لَقَدْ جَآءَكَ الْحَقُّ مِنْ رَّبِّكَ فَلَا تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْمُمْتَرِينَ
"So if you are in doubt, [O Muhammad], about that which We have revealed to you, then ask those who have been reading the Scripture before you. The truth has certainly come to you from your Lord, so never be among the doubters."
(QS. Yunus 10: Verse 94)

قُلْ إِنَّمَآ أَنَا۠ بَشَرٌ مِّثْلُكُمْ يُوحٰىٓ إِلَىَّ أَنَّمَآ إِلٰهُكُمْ إِلٰهٌ وٰحِدٌ فَاسْتَقِيمُوٓا إِلَيْهِ وَاسْتَغْفِرُوهُ  ۗ  وَوَيْلٌ لِّلْمُشْرِكِينَ
"Say, O [Muhammad], I am only a man like you to whom it has been revealed that your God is but one God; so take a straight course to Him and seek His forgiveness. And woe to those who associate others with Allah -"
(QS. Fussilat 41: Verse 6)

قُلْ إِنَّمَآ أَنَا۠ بَشَرٌ مِّثْلُكُمْ يُوحٰىٓ إِلَىَّ أَنَّمَآ إِلٰهُكُمْ إِلٰهٌ وٰحِدٌ  ۖ  فَمَنْ كَانَ يَرْجُوا لِقَآءَ رَبِّهِۦ فَلْيَعْمَلْ عَمَلًا صٰلِحًا وَلَا يُشْرِكْ بِعِبَادَةِ رَبِّهِۦٓ أَحَدًۢا
"Say, I am only a man like you, to whom has been revealed that your God is one God. So whoever would hope for the meeting with his Lord - let him do righteous work and not associate in the worship of his Lord anyone."
(QS. Al-Kahf 18: Verse 110)

إِنَّ الَّذِى فَرَضَ عَلَيْكَ الْقُرْءَانَ لَرَآدُّكَ إِلٰى مَعَادٍ  ۚ  قُل رَّبِّىٓ أَعْلَمُ مَنْ جَآءَ بِالْهُدٰى وَمَنْ هُوَ فِى ضَلٰلٍ مُّبِينٍ
"Indeed, [O Muhammad], He who imposed upon you the Qur'an will take you back to a place of return. Say, My Lord is most knowing of who brings guidance and who is in clear error."
(QS. Al-Qasas 28: Verse 85)

وَمَا كُنْتَ تَرْجُوٓا أَنْ يُلْقٰىٓ إِلَيْكَ الْكِتٰبُ إِلَّا رَحْمَةً مِّنْ رَّبِّكَ  ۖ  فَلَا تَكُونَنَّ ظَهِيرًا لِّلْكٰفِرِينَ
"And you were not expecting that the Book would be conveyed to you, but [it is] a mercy from your Lord. So do not be an assistant to the disbelievers."
(QS. Al-Qasas 28: Verse 86)

وَلَا يَصُدُّنَّكَ عَنْ ءَايٰتِ اللَّهِ بَعْدَ إِذْ أُنْزِلَتْ إِلَيْكَ  ۖ  وَادْعُ إِلٰى رَبِّكَ  ۖ  وَلَا تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ
"And never let them avert you from the verses of Allah after they have been revealed to you. And invite [people] to your Lord. And never be of those who associate others with Allah."
(QS. Al-Qasas 28: Verse 87)

ثُمَّ جَعَلْنٰكَ عَلٰى شَرِيعَةٍ مِّنَ الْأَمْرِ فَاتَّبِعْهَا وَلَا تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَآءَ الَّذِينَ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
"Then We put you, [O Muhammad], on an ordained way concerning the matter [of religion]; so follow it and do not follow the inclinations of those who do not know."
(QS. Al-Jaathiya 45: Verse 18)

قُلْ إِنِّى نُهِيتُ أَنْ أَعْبُدَ الَّذِينَ تَدْعُونَ مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ لَمَّا جَآءَنِىَ الْبَيِّنٰتُ مِنْ رَّبِّى وَأُمِرْتُ أَنْ أُسْلِمَ لِرَبِّ الْعٰلَمِينَ
"Say, [O Muhammad], Indeed, I have been forbidden to worship those you call upon besides Allah once the clear proofs have come to me from my Lord, and I have been commanded to submit to the Lord of the worlds."
(QS. Ghafir 40: Verse 66)

عَفَا اللَّهُ عَنْكَ لِمَ أَذِنْتَ لَهُمْ حَتّٰى يَتَبَيَّنَ لَكَ الَّذِينَ صَدَقُوا وَتَعْلَمَ الْكٰذِبِينَ
"May Allah pardon you, [O Muhammad]; why did you give them permission [to remain behind]? [You should not have] until it was evident to you who were truthful and you knew [who were] the liars."
(QS. At-Tawba 9: Verse 43)

وَاتْلُ مَآ أُوحِىَ إِلَيْكَ مِنْ كِتَابِ رَبِّكَ  ۖ  لَا مُبَدِّلَ لِكَلِمٰتِهِۦ وَلَنْ تَجِدَ مِنْ دُونِهِۦ مُلْتَحَدًا
"And recite, [O Muhammad], what has been revealed to you of the Book of your Lord. There is no changer of His words, and never will you find in other than Him a refuge."
(QS. Al-Kahf 18: Verse 27)

فَاعْلَمْ أَنَّهُۥ لَآ إِلٰهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ وَاسْتَغْفِرْ لِذَنۢبِكَ وَلِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنٰتِ  ۗ  وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ مُتَقَلَّبَكُمْ وَمَثْوٰىكُمْ
"So know, [O Muhammad], that there is no deity except Allah and ask forgiveness for your sin and for the believing men and believing women. And Allah knows of your movement and your resting place."
(QS. Muhammad 47: Verse 19)

إِنَّا فَتَحْنَا لَكَ فَتْحًا مُّبِينًا
"Indeed, We have given you, [O Muhammad], a clear conquest"
(QS. Al-Fath 48: Verse 1)

لِّيَغْفِرَ لَكَ اللَّهُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنْ ذَنۢبِكَ وَمَا تَأَخَّرَ وَيُتِمَّ نِعْمَتَهُۥ عَلَيْكَ وَيَهْدِيَكَ صِرٰطًا مُّسْتَقِيمًا
"That Allah may forgive for you what preceded of your sin and what will follow and complete His favor upon you and guide you to a straight path"
(QS. Al-Fath 48: Verse 2)

فَاصْبِرْ إِنَّ وَعْدَ اللَّهِ حَقٌّ وَاسْتَغْفِرْ لِذَنۢبِكَ وَسَبِّحْ بِحَمْدِ رَبِّكَ بِالْعَشِىِّ وَالْإِبْكٰرِ
"So be patient, [O Muhammad]. Indeed, the promise of Allah is truth. And ask forgiveness for your sin and exalt [Allah] with praise of your Lord in the evening and the morning."
(QS. Ghafir 40: Verse 55)

فَاصْبِرْ إِنَّ وَعْدَ اللَّهِ حَقٌّ  ۚ  فَإِمَّا نُرِيَنَّكَ بَعْضَ الَّذِى نَعِدُهُمْ أَوْ نَتَوَفَّيَنَّكَ فَإِلَيْنَا يُرْجَعُونَ
"So be patient, [O Muhammad]; indeed, the promise of Allah is truth. And whether We show you some of what We have promised them or We take you in death, it is to Us they will be returned."
(QS. Ghafir 40: Verse 77)

وَلَقَدْ أَرْسَلْنَا رُسُلًا مِّنْ قَبْلِكَ مِنْهُمْ مَّنْ قَصَصْنَا عَلَيْكَ وَمِنْهُمْ مَّنْ لَّمْ نَقْصُصْ عَلَيْكَ  ۗ  وَمَا كَانَ لِرَسُولٍ أَنْ يَأْتِىَ بِئَايَةٍ إِلَّا بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ  ۚ  فَإِذَا جَآءَ أَمْرُ اللَّهِ قُضِىَ بِالْحَقِّ وَخَسِرَ هُنَالِكَ الْمُبْطِلُونَ
"And We have already sent messengers before you. Among them are those [whose stories] We have related to you, and among them are those [whose stories] We have not related to you. And it was not for any messenger to bring a sign [or verse] except by permission of Allah. So when the command of Allah comes, it will be concluded in truth, and the falsifiers will thereupon lose [all]."
(QS. Ghafir 40: Verse 78)

إِنَّآ أَوْحَيْنَآ إِلَيْكَ كَمَآ أَوْحَيْنَآ إِلٰى نُوحٍ وَالنَّبِيِّۦنَ مِنۢ بَعْدِهِۦ  ۚ  وَأَوْحَيْنَآ إِلٰىٓ إِبْرٰهِيمَ وَإِسْمٰعِيلَ وَإِسْحٰقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ وَالْأَسْبَاطِ وَعِيسٰى وَأَيُّوبَ وَيُونُسَ وَهٰرُونَ وَسُلَيْمٰنَ  ۚ  وَءَاتَيْنَا دَاوُۥدَ زَبُورًا
"Indeed, We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], as We revealed to Noah and the Prophets after him. And we revealed to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, the Descendants, Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David We gave the book [of Psalms]."
(QS. An-Nisaa 4: Verse 163)

وَرُسُلًا قَدْ قَصَصْنٰهُمْ عَلَيْكَ مِنْ قَبْلُ وَرُسُلًا لَّمْ نَقْصُصْهُمْ عَلَيْكَ  ۚ  وَكَلَّمَ اللَّهُ مُوسٰى تَكْلِيمًا
"And [We sent] messengers about whom We have related [their stories] to you before and messengers about whom We have not related to you. And Allah spoke to Moses with [direct] speech."
(QS. An-Nisaa 4: Verse 164)

إِنَّكَ لَا تَهْدِى مَنْ أَحْبَبْتَ وَلٰكِنَّ اللَّهَ يَهْدِى مَنْ يَشَآءُ  ۚ  وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِالْمُهْتَدِينَ
"Indeed, [O Muhammad], you do not guide whom you like, but Allah guides whom He wills. And He is most knowing of the [rightly] guided."
(QS. Al-Qasas 28: Verse 56)

Fi Amanillah

10 hours ago, Leibniz said:

Duha 93 وَوَجَدَكَ ضَالًّا فَهَدَىٰ ( God found you lost and then guided you)

It also is giving the impression as God lost him or he became outside the knowledge of God at any place of time that's why "God FOUND you" has been used in translation. 

@Leibniz

According to al-Qur'an, sayyidina Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).(عليه السلام) was the answer to the supplication of sayyidina Ibrahim (عليه السلام).

Wether he (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was a Prophet from birth or became a Prophet later on.

To become a Prophet one has to fulfill certain conditions but at the same time one is destined to become one.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:56 PM, Jaane Ya Ali said:

And when he attained his maturity and became full grown, We granted hIm wisdom and knowledge; and thus do We reward those who do good (to others)."

2 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

It also is giving the impression as God lost him or he became outside the knowledge of God at any place of time that's why "God FOUND you" has been used in translation. 

@Leibniz

Are you saying that God lost the Prophet and then found him? I mean really?

5 hours ago, Leibniz said:

Are you saying that God lost the Prophet and then found him? I mean really?

:) The way you're interpreting the verses, then yes, one can even expect this type of thinking too.

Although I am not agreed with your interpretation of "daal" in that verse but a thought came in mind for a while:

How that blessed lostness was!!! In which Prophet was recognized as "Sadiq" and "Ameen". 

Everyone is "daal" before the Absolute Guide (Al-Hadi (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)). But this is not the way how He sends Prophets. 

Surah As-Saff, Verse 9:

هُوَ الَّذِي أَرْسَلَ رَسُولَهُ بِالْهُدَىٰ وَدِينِ الْحَقِّ لِيُظْهِرَهُ عَلَى الدِّينِ كُلِّهِ وَلَوْ كَرِهَ الْمُشْرِكُونَ

He it is Who sent His Apostle with the guidance and the true religion, that He may make it overcome the religions, all of them, though the polytheists may be averse. (English - Shakir) 

And he was not left unattended, that he can be considered as lost:

Surah At-tur, Verse 48:

وَاصْبِرْ لِحُكْمِ رَبِّكَ فَإِنَّكَ بِأَعْيُنِنَا

And wait patiently for the judgment of your Lord, for surely you are before Our eyes (English - Shakir) 

Surah Ad-Dhuha, Verse 3:

مَا وَدَّعَكَ رَبُّكَ وَمَا قَلَىٰ

Your Lord has not forsaken you, nor has He become displeased, (English - Shakir)

28 minutes ago, 786:) said:

Clear verses from that Qur'an that state the Prophet did not know of anything before 

Rehman has taught the Qur'an prior to creation of insaan.

"Awwalo ma khalaq Allaho noori" 

Now lets see a verse:

مَا كُنْتَ تَدْرِى مَا الْكِتٰبُ وَلَا الْإِيمٰنُ وَلٰكِنْ جَعَلْنٰهُ نُورًا

How can he knew the book & emaan when he himself was in the form of noor and were outside the bounds of material world.

Kunto nabiyan wa Adama baynal maa-e wat-teen.

Allah has said this:

Surah Al-Alaq, Verse 5:

عَلَّمَ الْإِنسَانَ مَا لَمْ يَعْلَمْ

Taught man what he knew not. (English - Shakir) 

I have just seen one person (nafsin wahid) in the history who said:

Ana madinatul ilm 

And the baab of that madinah said:

Salooni Salooni

1 hour ago, Salsabeel said:

Now lets see a verse:

How can he knew the book & emaan when he himself was in the form of noor and were outside the bounds of material world.

Allah has said this:

Surah Al-Alaq, Verse 5:

Ana madinatul ilm 

Salooni Salooni

Again...you present hadith to put down clear verses from the Qur'an. If that is your perogative then feel free to continue down that path.

1 hour ago, Salsabeel said:

Now lets see a verse:

Allah has said this:

Surah Al-Alaq, Verse 5:

Ana madinatul ilm 

Salooni Salooni

No where does the Qur'an say Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) taught the Qur'an before the creation of man. There is absolutely no such Arabic conjunction that denotes or necessitates order in Surah Alrahman. 

This is an elementary principle in Arabic.

4 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

:) The way you're interpreting the verses, then yes, one can even expect this type of thinking too.

Although I am not agreed with your interpretation of "daal" in that verse but a thought came in mind for a while:

How that blessed lostness was!!! In which Prophet was recognized as "Sadiq" and "Ameen". 

Everyone is "daal" before the Absolute Guide (Al-Hadi (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)). But this is not the way how He sends Prophets. 

Surah As-Saff, Verse 9:

هُوَ الَّذِي أَرْسَلَ رَسُولَهُ بِالْهُدَىٰ وَدِينِ الْحَقِّ لِيُظْهِرَهُ عَلَى الدِّينِ كُلِّهِ وَلَوْ كَرِهَ الْمُشْرِكُونَ

He it is Who sent His Apostle with the guidance and the true religion, that He may make it overcome the religions, all of them, though the polytheists may be averse. (English - Shakir) 

And he was not left unattended, that he can be considered as lost:

Surah At-tur, Verse 48:

وَاصْبِرْ لِحُكْمِ رَبِّكَ فَإِنَّكَ بِأَعْيُنِنَا

And wait patiently for the judgment of your Lord, for surely you are before Our eyes (English - Shakir) 

Surah Ad-Dhuha, Verse 3:

مَا وَدَّعَكَ رَبُّكَ وَمَا قَلَىٰ

Your Lord has not forsaken you, nor has He become displeased, (English - Shakir)

With such analogies and extrapolations ,  you can even "prove" that Trump is a female negro. Go for that.

14 hours ago, Faruk said:

To become a Prophet one has to fulfill certain conditions but at the same time one is destined to become one.

I've thought about this. That Muhammad's [saw] conduct could be what had him [saw] be the chosen one if we were to take the view that he wasn't born a Prophet but was destined to become one. This is interesting:

[45:18Then We put you, [O Muhammad], on an ordained way concerning the matter [of religion]; so follow it and do not follow the inclinations of those who do not know.

14 hours ago, Faruk said:

And when he attained his maturity and became full grown, We granted hIm wisdom and knowledge; and thus do We reward those who do good (to others)."

Here's a portion of Musa's [a] conversation with Pharoah:

Go to Pharaoh and say, 'We are the messengers of the Lord of the worlds,
[Commanded to say], "Send with us the Children of Israel."'"
[Pharaoh] said, "Did we not raise you among us as a child, and you remained among us for years of your life?
And [then] you did your deed which you did, and you were of the ungrateful."
[Moses] said, "I did it, then, while I was of those astray.
So I fled from you when I feared you. Then my Lord granted me wisdom and prophethood and appointed me [as one] of the messengers.
And is this a favor of which you remind me - that you have enslaved the Children of Israel?"
[Qur'an 26:16-22]

So it seems Musa [a] attained his Prophethood later in life, but his mother knew about his [a] destiny beforehand:

[28:7] And We inspired to the mother of Moses, "Suckle him; but when you fear for him, cast him into the river and do not fear and do not grieve. Indeed, We will return him to you and will make him [one] of the messengers."

Edited by Jaane Ya Ali

7 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

What do you want to convey? 

That the Qur'an can explain itself and is the only infallible source available today.

We don't have the luxury of having a divinely appointed being accessible to us.

While ahadith do have some uses, I'd be wary of taking it as proof for fundamental beliefs given the issues surrounding it.

The Qur'an is protected. The hadith world is Satan's playground to try and distort the Qur'an. Verses with clear meanings being given an alternative meaning due to folan hadith.

It just seems bizarre to think Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) would send a book that couldn't guide man today, and that we'd need to refer to so-n-so's hadith collection transmitted by man for guidance.

Edited by Jaane Ya Ali

7 hours ago, Jaane Ya Ali said:

That the Qur'an can explain itself and is the only infallible source available today.

We don't have the luxury of having a divinely appointed being accessible to us.

While ahadith do have some uses, I'd be wary of taking it as proof for fundamental beliefs given the issues surrounding it.

The Qur'an is protected. The hadith world is Satan's playground to try and distort the Qur'an. Verses with clear meanings being given an alternative meaning due to folan hadith.

It just seems bizarre to think Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) would send a book that couldn't guide man today, and that we'd need to refer to so-n-so's hadith collection transmitted by man for guidance.

That makes zero sense since Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) himself has said in Qur'an that all thr verses are not same and cannot be understood by us. 

Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 7:
هُوَ الَّذِي أَنزَلَ عَلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ مِنْهُ آيَاتٌ مُّحْكَمَاتٌ هُنَّ أُمُّ الْكِتَابِ وَأُخَرُ مُتَشَابِهَاتٌ فَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِمْ زَيْغٌ فَيَتَّبِعُونَ مَا تَشَابَهَ مِنْهُ ابْتِغَاءَ الْفِتْنَةِ وَابْتِغَاءَ تَأْوِيلِهِ وَمَا يَعْلَمُ تَأْوِيلَهُ إِلَّا اللَّهُ وَالرَّاسِخُونَ فِي الْعِلْمِ يَقُولُونَ آمَنَّا بِهِ كُلٌّ مِّنْ عِندِ رَبِّنَا وَمَا يَذَّكَّرُ إِلَّا أُولُو الْأَلْبَابِ

He it is Who has revealed the Book to you; some of its verses are decisive, they are the basis of the Book, and others are allegorical; then as for those in whose hearts there is perversity they follow the part of it which is allegorical, seeking to mislead and seeking to give it (their own) interpretation. but none knows its interpretation except Allah, and those who are firmly rooted in knowledge say: We believe in it, it is all from our Lord; and none do mind except those having understanding.
(English - Shakir)

وَالرَّاسِخُونَ فِي الْعِلْمِ - And those firmly rooted in knowledge - refers to Aimma (ams). 

8 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

That makes zero sense since Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) himself has said in Qur'an that all thr verses are not same and cannot be understood by us. 

Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 7:
هُوَ الَّذِي أَنزَلَ عَلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ مِنْهُ آيَاتٌ مُّحْكَمَاتٌ هُنَّ أُمُّ الْكِتَابِ وَأُخَرُ مُتَشَابِهَاتٌ فَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِمْ زَيْغٌ فَيَتَّبِعُونَ مَا تَشَابَهَ مِنْهُ ابْتِغَاءَ الْفِتْنَةِ وَابْتِغَاءَ تَأْوِيلِهِ وَمَا يَعْلَمُ تَأْوِيلَهُ إِلَّا اللَّهُ وَالرَّاسِخُونَ فِي الْعِلْمِ يَقُولُونَ آمَنَّا بِهِ كُلٌّ مِّنْ عِندِ رَبِّنَا وَمَا يَذَّكَّرُ إِلَّا أُولُو الْأَلْبَابِ

He it is Who has revealed the Book to you; some of its verses are decisive, they are the basis of the Book, and others are allegorical; then as for those in whose hearts there is perversity they follow the part of it which is allegorical, seeking to mislead and seeking to give it (their own) interpretation. but none knows its interpretation except Allah, and those who are firmly rooted in knowledge say: We believe in it, it is all from our Lord; and none do mind except those having understanding.
(English - Shakir)

وَالرَّاسِخُونَ فِي الْعِلْمِ - And those firmly rooted in knowledge - refers to Aimma (ams). 

Those firmly rooted in knowledge say we believe in it etc etc..... You hacked that verse my friend.

الراسخون في العلم

is not applicable to the previous statement. 

Salam

12 hours ago, 786:) said:

Again...you present hadith to put down clear verses from the Qur'an. If that is your perogative then feel free to continue down that path.

The hadith is used to understand the verses of Qur'an only. 

12 hours ago, Fink said:

No where does the Qur'an say Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) taught the Qur'an before the creation of man. There is absolutely no such Arabic conjunction that denotes or necessitates order in Surah Alrahman. 

You keep viewing the paper book available with you and conclude the meanings through it, we are watching at the pre-revealed existence of Qur'an:

إِنَّهُ لَقُرْآنٌ كَرِيمٌ {77}

فِي كِتَابٍ مَكْنُونٍ {78}

لَا يَمَسُّهُ إِلَّا الْمُطَهَّرُونَ {79}

and in 85:22 too

We are looking at the intellectual & spiritual nature of Qur'an and its intellectual grasp prior to its revelation. 

22 minutes ago, Fink said:

Those firmly rooted in knowledge say we believe in it etc etc..... You hacked that verse my friend.

الراسخون في العلم

is not applicable to the previous statement. 

Salam

He is the One Who Revealed the Book unto you; from it are Decisive Verses - these are the Mother of the Book; and others are Allegorical. Then as for those in whose hearts there is perversity, so they are following what is allegorical from it, seeking the Fitna and seeking its (personal) interpretation. And none knows its interpretation except Allah, and those who are firmly rooted in the Knowledge. They are saying, ‘We believe in it. It is all from the Presence of our Lord’. And none (would) mention except those with the understanding [3:7]

I found an alternate translation which includes الراسخون في العلم as well and continues as 'They'. 

We'll need an Arabic expert to figure that out. 

Also, there are number of hadith which confirms both Allah and Ahlul Bayt (ams) knowing the interpretation. 

34 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

34 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

You keep viewing the paper book available with you and conclude the meanings through it, we are watching at the pre-revealed existence of Qur'an:

إِنَّهُ لَقُرْآنٌ كَرِيمٌ {77}

فِي كِتَابٍ مَكْنُونٍ {78}

لَا يَمَسُّهُ إِلَّا الْمُطَهَّرُونَ {79}

and in 85:22 too

We are looking at the intellectual & spiritual nature of Qur'an and its intellectual grasp prior to its revelation. 

Salam

I don’t know what that means as it relates to the claim that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) taught the Qur'an before he created man.

Edited by Fink

:bismillah:

إِنَّا جَعَلْنَاهُ قُرْآنًا عَرَبِيًّا لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ {3}

[Shakir 43:3] Surely We have made it an Arabic Qur'an that you may understand.

وَإِنَّهُ فِي أُمِّ الْكِتَابِ لَدَيْنَا لَعَلِيٌّ حَكِيمٌ {4}

[Shakir 43:4] And surely it is in the original of the Book with Us, truly elevated, full of wisdom.

Aliyyun Hakim (asws), The one famous as Qur'an-e-Natiq here in this world.  

@Salsabeel @Sirius_Bright

So just to clarify the position please.

You're saying that Muhammad [saw] did have [some or all?] knowledge of the Qur'an before the Prophetic mission commenced?

And that verses that say otherwise require their proper interpretation which can only be acquired from hadith [sayings of Ahlul Bayt]?

According to your belief, when did Muhammad [saw] have this knowledge? When he was in noor form or when he was born into this world or some years before the Prophetic mission?

Just to understand your position further. Are you of the belief that Muhammad [saw] is part of the elite/exalted party [aleen] that existed before any other creation?

Thanks

18 hours ago, Jaane Ya Ali said:

You're saying that Muhammad [saw] did have [some or all?] knowledge of the Qur'an before the Prophetic mission commenced?

First of all, as a brotherly advise, I suggest you to include the "Aal" when writing the salutation. Instead of writing (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) salallaho alaihe wassallam, make it your habbit to write (saww) salallaho alaihe wa aalehe wasallam or you could simply denote that with a capital S.

What has been said is that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) send Prophets with guidance. It is not the case that He randomly pick unlettered person from humanity who were supposedly lost (daal) at any point of time & then He guides them & chose them for delivering divine message. 

I believe on the words of Prophet (S) is, as he said, ana madinatul ilm (I am the city of knowledge). And I have no doubt about it nor on his words "Awwalo ma khalaq Allaho noori" and nor on his words "kunto nabiyyan wa Adama baynal maa'e watteen". He is Awwal-ul-Aabideen as well as Awwal-ul-Muslimeen as per Qur'an.