Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sisterfatima1

Tattoos in Islam

Rate this topic

Even if someone's marja allows getting a tattoo, many Muslims do not think it is acceptable. There is still a stigma for females to get a tattoo.

If a woman is not married yet, she could find it hard to get a husband because the community where she lives would gossip about her tattoo.

If she had a secret tattoo, she might find herself facing a divorce when her husband (or his family) finds out about it.

If she is divorced and her ex-husband finds out about her getting a tattoo, he could use that as an excuse for not allowing his children to visit her. 

There are many reasons to think before you act. A halal action can get you into trouble if you disregard the consequences.

7 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

If she had a secret tattoo, she might find herself facing a divorce when her husband (or his family) finds out about it.

If she is divorced and her ex-husband finds out about her getting a tattoo, he could use that as an excuse for not allowing his children to visit her. 

What kind of world do we live in? It is insane for people (especially relatives) to take such approach for some ink in a woman's skin... Such actions and mentalities are what should be looked down upon, instead of tattoos, as these are really unacceptable, unjust and cruel.

Also, in what type of disgraced country do they ban you from seeing your kids merely for a tattoo?

Edited by Bakir

5 minutes ago, Bakir said:

Also, in what type of disgraced country do they ban you from seeing your kids merely for a tattoo?

Backward countries like Saudi Arabia no doubt. 

There is a hadith in Bukhari in which the Prophet prohibited tattoos. I realise you may not believe the hadith but unless you have a clear hadith where it is allowed or proof any Imams had tatoos. The the logical and safe method would be to avoid them.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:12 AM, Sisterfatima1 said:

Salam 

I’m told different opinions if tattoos are haram or halal 

I been wanting to get a butterfly tattoo under my collarbone 

just like a simple small butterfly 

I am just wondering the rulings on it 

Its haram to have Allah tattooed or any of his 99 names. Other than that its your personal choice.

Personal advice, don't get a tattoo of something you will regret in like 10-15 years.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:34 AM, Hameedeh said:

Even if someone's marja allows getting a tattoo, many Muslims do not think it is acceptable. There is still a stigma for females to get a tattoo.

If a woman is not married yet, she could find it hard to get a husband because the community where she lives would gossip about her tattoo.

There are many reasons to think before you act. A halal action can get you into trouble if you disregard the consequences.

You can't say "many Muslims". It depends on the country or community she lives in.

Though I have never heard of someone not marrying a girl because she has a tattoo. How backwards is that.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:34 AM, Hameedeh said:

There is still a stigma for females to get a tattoo.

Same goes for Muslim males. Same goes also for non Islamic cultures in many many countries.

Tattoos are frowned upon in more countries than they are not frowned upon.

Getting a tattoo is just not a good idea in my own opinion. I have yet to see someone being able to logically motivate as to why they would want/got a tattoo, usually its just emotionally motivated from my own observations.

Salamun alaykum

Tattoos is not a sin in itself, but may be forbidden due to secondary reasons.

But its against Islamic ethics, because:

• Excessive preoccupation with looks, choosing to adorn oneself with something permanent, like wearing a permanent necklace around your neck, or permanent lipstick. It is pure vanity. Spending money on it is Israf.
  • Its foolish, as you will change physically and psychologically; the tattoo may not seem such a good idea in later life. It is naïve to assume that what you like is what you will like in 30 years. Taste and culture will change.
  • Tattoos have been seen to be associated with bad culture, not a culture of enlightenment and education. It has been used largely in past by gangs, criminals and liberal people, or the disenfranchised and immature and rebellious youth. This cultures have been glorified in the media, which has led to increased tattooing, furthered by celebrities in pop culture.
  • If it is a religious branding or motif, then the best branding is through action and conduct.

On our path towards God, with iman and taqwa, the tattoo has no place.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:12 PM, Sisterfatima1 said:

Salam 

I’m told different opinions if tattoos are haram or halal 

I been wanting to get a butterfly tattoo under my collarbone 

just like a simple small butterfly 

I am just wondering the rulings on it 

I hope I am not breaking any RULE replying on females thread. I simply  couldn't stop myself not to reply.

Apart from what religion or the society says about tattoos, I just find them totally gross. What is so proud feeling in transforming your body into a walking poster? I mean it is like a shirt you cannot take off rest of your life. And what is even more disgusting are people  I call as "skin poets". Those who put ridiculous quotes on their bodies. I mean if you have your mantra or magic word/quote, then why don't you put it on a paper or on the mirror that you see everyday? Why you must show it to the whole world where others can see or  I can see & then expecting that I shouldn't say anything or have no opinion about it? Of course I would say my opinion loud that people with tattoos are big idiots & shouldn't be allowed in public wearing shorts. 

Now you want a butterfly. I'm sure just recently you must have seen some really beautiful & colorful butterfly and now you want her under your collarbone. But hey, that butterfly won't look as beautiful as the original one. No matter you bring Leonardo from the past & makes him to draw. Secondly, if you think you might be able to fly like that butterfly & after having it on you, then you are totally wrong. It won't happen. But chances are you make men fly away from you who might be interested in you but your tattoo put them off. But hey, it's your life & as they say my body my choice, you can do what you want but I hope you will keep my words too in your mind. Others will have their opinions too.