Jump to content
In the Name of God بسم الله

What’s the logic behind having a beard?

Rate this topic


shia_100

Recommended Posts

  • Veteran Member

Man have hairs on certain parts of the body areas.  Women too.  Are those areas not needed to be hairy? Should we shave it clean?  God knows better why he created those areas to be hairy.

Men generally have beard and women don't.

So they will not interchange gender in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member
4 hours ago, layman said:

Man have hairs on certain parts of the body areas.  Women too.  Are those areas not needed to be hairy? Should we shave it clean?  God knows better why he created those areas to be hairy.

Men generally have beard and women don't.

So they will not interchange gender in the future.

:salam:

Matter of fact this argument does onmy apply to the beard, as almost all other parts are mustahab to shave.

Does not apply either to circumcision.

 

Beard is a look thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
5 hours ago, shia_100 said:

What’s the logic behind having a beard?

Assalaamualeykum, Here is one of the reason why men have beard according to Imams, quoting excerpts from long hadeeth:

Abul Abbas Muhammad ibn Ibrahim ibn Ishaq al-Taleqani - may God be pleased with him - narrated that Abu Sa’id al-Hassan ibn Ali al- Ado’we quoted Ebad ibn Saheeb, on the authority of his father, on the authority of his grandfather, on the authority of Al-Rabi’a - the companion of al-Mansoor, from Ja’far Ibn Muhammad as-Sadiq (as):

"..The Imam (MGB) asked (to an Indian doctor), ‘Why do men have beards?’ He said, ‘I do not know.’ Imam replied, 'Men have beards so that they may be distinguished from women'..."

Source: al-Khisal by Sheikh al-Saduq, Vol , Pg 511, H 3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, Aquib Rizvi said:

Assalaamualeykum, Here is one of the reason why men have beard according to Imams, quoting excerpts from long hadeeth:

Abul Abbas Muhammad ibn Ibrahim ibn Ishaq al-Taleqani - may God be pleased with him - narrated that Abu Sa’id al-Hassan ibn Ali al- Ado’we quoted Ebad ibn Saheeb, on the authority of his father, on the authority of his grandfather, on the authority of Al-Rabi’a - the companion of al-Mansoor, from Ja’far Ibn Muhammad as-Sadiq (as):

"..The Imam (MGB) asked (to an Indian doctor), ‘Why do men have beards?’ He said, ‘I do not know.’ Imam replied, 'Men have beards so that they may be distinguished from women'..."

Source: al-Khisal by Sheikh al-Saduq, Vol , Pg 511, H 3.

That’s a good reason but I wonder why in Islam men have to have a beard in order to be distinguished from women as it is so easy to know if someone’s a man without the need of a beard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
27 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Well I know so many ugly guys who look good when they grow a beard.

When these same men shave, they look like featherless chickens.

Shaving makes you look younger tho and healthy

Edited by shia_100
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, shia_100 said:

Shaving makes you look younger tho and healthy

to be honest it's suits me more rn because my beard is patchy.

I agree it does make you look clean, but a nice beard  (properly done) even makes you look clean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

I like to share the page of " Beard and its rules "  from Book " Tahzeeb ul Islam By Allama Majlisi " 

There is a quoted hadith from Imam Jafar Sadiq (عليه السلام) ... Any beard longer then one fist is part of hell fire. 

Second quoted from same Imam (عليه السلام) ... Make your beard one fist long and cut whatever after it.

Authentic Hadith ( Mo'atbar Hadees ) :- Quoted Imam Muhammad Baqir (عليه السلام) He was making his beard slim. 

Quoted in same page Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said .. in old days there was a group of people who shaved there beard and make there Mustaches toned ( mooncho ko tau dena ) .. the result was Allah sent azaab on them and they got killed. 

On same chapter there is one more incident quoted from Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) .. When Allah accepted Tauba ( repentance ) of Hazrat Adam (عليه السلام) and he prostrate for thanks ( sajda e shukr ) and raise back his head and saw over sky and asked ' Oh Allah increase my Handsomeness ' .. within few minute his face got a dense beard over it. Before this incident Adam (عليه السلام) was having no beard. Adam (عليه السلام) asked Oh Allah what is this ? Allah said upto Qayamat this is you generation Handsomeness. 

 

With the hope it is beneficial for reader. ( Sorry for bad english translation , I tried with whatever english I know )

Edited by alirex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
13 hours ago, shia_100 said:

Hahahaha, I’m not a woman to be able to rate this guy hahaha

Lol, in my opinion, he looks like a boy and needs a beard to even come close to looking like a man. My youngest brother is not a Muslim, he's a Christian, and he has hair longer than the guy in this picture, and whenever he grows a beard, he looks amazing! His beard is a color that none of the rest of our family even have, it's a dark reddish color, and I have no idea where it comes from in our genetics, LOL, but when he shaves it, he just looks weird to me.. Not that there's anything wrong with his facial structure or anything that would make him look like a "shaved chicken", lol...maybe it's just because I'm a Muslim now and look at things differently. I don't know..

W/s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

Lol, in my opinion, he looks like a boy and needs a beard to even come close to looking like a man. My youngest brother is not a Muslim, he's a Christian, and he has hair longer than the guy in this picture, and whenever he grows a beard, he looks amazing! His beard is a color that none of the rest of our family even have, it's a dark reddish color, and I have no idea where it comes from in our genetics, LOL, but when he shaves it, he just looks weird to me.. Not that there's anything wrong with his facial structure or anything that would make him look like a "shaved chicken", lol...maybe it's just because I'm a Muslim now and look at things differently. I don't know..

W/s

I don’t think he looks weird, I think whether a beard looks good on man or not depends a lot on culture, in my culture (Hispanic) the beard is seen as dirty and shaving the beard is part of being “clean”, even our grandmothers, mothers, sisters and wives tell us to shave always

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, shia_100 said:

I don’t think he looks weird, I think whether a beard looks good on man or not depends a lot on culture, in my culture (Hispanic) the beard is seen as dirty and shaving the beard is part of being “clean”, even our grandmothers, mothers, sisters and wives tell us to shave always

I personally don't think there will be much left of a man's masculinity if the women in his life will chose everything for him.

The culture changes with time, once upon a time in Europe beards were only reserved for royalty and peasants and foot soldiers were forced to shave, nowadays people do hair transplant just to be able to have a beard since its in fashion, but beauty in the eyes of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) never changes and he has said through Rasulullah (S) that the men should keep beards as far as I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

What is the definition of love ? is Prophet Mohammed infallible? (this video talks about beauty & love & golden ratio or sacred geometry for beauty & love) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Is it allowed for a man whose beard won't grow in fully to shave? A patchy beard does look unkempt. For especially some young men, it might look better to shave than to grow a partial randomly scattered beard, so if it's about looking manly, it ought to be permissible for men with incomplete beards to shave. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

It's no about logic it's a mans default. What's the logic behind removing your hair from your face ? That's the action taken that needs to be explained. In fiqh class nobody asks what's the logic of arm pit hair grow. They explain the logic of cutting it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Warilla said:

It's no about logic it's a mans default. What's the logic behind removing your hair from your face ? That's the action taken that needs to be explained. In fiqh class nobody asks what's the logic of arm pit hair grow. They explain the logic of cutting it.

Ye then it’s logical to shave one’s beard since it’s cleaner just like having to shave armpit hair to look cleaner 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Ok so we know the default is hair growth. To shave bodily hair is required and one of the needs is hygiene. As for facial hair you have stated that's also cleaner to shave. Do you have any proif if that ? Or are you saying all the same rules of body hair apply to facial hair ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
18 minutes ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

First of all, who told you that shaving that shaving armpits is about looking cleaner?

And even that was true, or one of the reasons that we should shave armpit hair, it doesn't mean it is the same for the beard necessarily. 

Lol then why do u shave ur armpits then, and yes it means it’s the same in this context as if u want to make your armpits look clean then U’d rather make ur face  look clean as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
22 hours ago, notme said:

Is it allowed for a man whose beard won't grow in fully to shave? A patchy beard does look unkempt. For especially some young men, it might look better to shave than to grow a partial randomly scattered beard, so if it's about looking manly, it ought to be permissible for men with incomplete beards to shave. 

As far as I understand you are allowed to shave in such cases.

7 hours ago, shia_100 said:

Ye then it’s logical to shave one’s beard since it’s cleaner just like having to shave armpit hair to look cleaner 

Islamically we are told to trim the armpit hair, theres hadiths about this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Warilla said:

Ok so we know the default is hair growth. To shave bodily hair is required and one of the needs is hygiene. As for facial hair you have stated that's also cleaner to shave. Do you have any proif if that ? Or are you saying all the same rules of body hair apply to facial hair ?

Lol what proof, are you telling me that having a beard is cleaner than a shaved face?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Administrators
On 1/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, shia_100 said:

What’s the logic behind having a beard?

I am not a scholar. 

But my personal understanding of the whole debate on beard is as follows: 

In terms of physical presentation, Islam recommends that we, as Muslims, should present ourselves as neat, clean, well-groomed and historically speaking, 'tough' in the battlefields.

However, an ideal physical representation may be subject to the norms of a society in different eras. 

I understand that once upon a time Arabs, as well as many other men around the globe, considered their beards as a sign of nobility and a symbol of physical/intellectual maturity. It also allowed men to look tough in the battlefields. 

But things have changed over time. Unfortunately, for Muslims, the debate regarding beard continues to revolve around certain narrations. And for good reasons. If memory serves me right, some of those narrations expressly require men to keep beards as if its more than a recommendation. Since I have not done thorough research on such narrations, it is hard to tell whether their authority was confined to their context/time or whether their authority and scope extends to the day of Qayamah. 

@Ibn al-Hussain what are your thoughts on this subject? Done any research that we can benefit from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

The first part of your comment makes me question whether you did understand what I said or not. 

As for the rest; I want to say that the idea doesn't make sense because first of all is about opinion. You think that what you said, while I think long armpit hair is very nasty and a (appropriate) beard is important for a man, in regards to looks as well.

They are not the same; location and type as well.

Also from a health perspective; the beard is good while long times not shaving your armpits is unhealthy for different reasons.

All this is if we want to think about it ourselves. But if a  Muslim,  believes Islam says that we should shave our armpits every 15 days and never shaving the beard completely then he should realize that there is much wisdom and more in that regard. Watch your attitudes towards these matters. Ask and learn, great, but make sure to be humble and honest and sincere as well. We don't want to be of those arrogant ones who are wrong as well. I say this because a lot of times I see certain people have such attitudes.

Well you have your opinion and I have mine nobody is being arrogant here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, shia_100 said:

Lol what proof, are you telling me that having a beard is cleaner than a shaved face?

Any proof/ evidence you want. I don't need a reason. As the beard is the default. The action is shaving. So burden of proof lies with you. It's like a society who's norm it is to chop off one leg asking someone the logic behinde keeping 2 legs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...