Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anon111

Bowing to "master" during jiu jitsu classes - haram?

Rate this topic

Guest Anon111

Salaam,

This might seem like a very weird or pointless question to some of you, but I was very interested in doing jiu jitsu. The only problem is they require you to bow to a picture of a jiu jitsu ' grand master' as they call them which is on the wall of the dojo. There's many other times you have to bow, such as entering and leaving the dojo to noone in particular, to your opponent before grappling and I believe to the teacher possibly. I understand its a sign of respect more than anything deeper to nearly everyone, but is this haram to do?

thank you

My niece Sakina does not bow, she had her Tang Soo Do grading yesterday, so they seem to be ok with it. 

[EDIT]

Just spoke with Sakina's mum, it's not for any fiqhi reason that she does not bow, it's a refusal to acknowledge authority thing. 

Edited by Haji 2003

It's not like prostration. It's just a gesture of respect for the school and the system. If you respect the training and trainers, and they expect you to do it, you should do it. 

It's comparable to a military salute, not sajda. 

Alaikum El Salaam

If someone knows what the Jurists say; they can share it here, and if not one could send an E-mail to the office of the Jurist they follow.

If you don't know about this then you should get your self acquainted with Taqleed;
https://www.Sistani.org/english/book/49/2394/

My "2 cents" about your question;
Perhaps it is about your intention and conviction and/or conclusion.
If such/this act is even possible to be/is in order,
then in regards of respect, and being well mannered and polite; these traits are very recommended and good for that person.

But as long as I don't know I would be cautious about this specific act.

Guest Kelly

My son is doing jiu jitsu, and bows before and after he gets on and of the mat, and to the teacher and some pictures. 

I was concerned a bit, but it was like a handshake and a sign of respect.

Just today, he has been told, he will be learning to bow in prostrate form with his head in his diamond shaped hands .

Now that I don’t like.

What do I do??

You're learning a tradition that is not a lslamic, 

Yet you refuse to follow its rules?

It would be wise to observe the traditions that you are learning from the master in its entirety.

When you become a master of this Tradition open up your own school and Institute a new rule of no bowing but shaking hands Maybe. don’t take my advice.  

This is different from standing for the national anthem. Or saluting a flag cuz I believe that this is false God. 

I put it Shirk catalogue. 

But then I would be condemning many Muslims if I would. 

This is why I say it's almost Shirk.

Did not the Yusuf’s family prostrate to him?

Of course it was not out of worship, although nowadays it would be seen as such by Muslims. So I suppose it depends on a) Your intention and b) what people may construe the act to be I.e. merely an act of respect for the sensei or glorification; I would lean on the side of the former.

Anything that is good is from Allah and anything that evil / wrong is from my self

Wsalam

On 2/19/2020 at 5:59 AM, Guest Kelly said:

Just today, he has been told, he will be learning to bow in prostrate form with his head in his diamond shaped hands .

Now that I don’t like.

What do I do??

I guess you can tell the instructors that he won't be doing that because he only prostrates to/for God... Actually, it would be best, if possible, for your son to tell them that he himself is not willing to prostrate for that reason. Or he could just say 'for religious purposes' and preferably inform them in advanced. Edit: What I mean is that it would probably be best if it was your son who refused to do this, stating 'for religious reasons'.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy