Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
2Timeless

Freedom of opinion

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, 2Timeless said:

We are already a minority.

Behaviours like the ones seen yesterday makes me wonder about the value of this statement. I really feel more connection with people with education and critical thinking than with people who share my religious beliefs. So can't care less about the numbers of the second group, especially when they target people of the first group unjustly.

[Note from Mod: This topic has been moved to the Off-topic forum. Please remember to post topics in the appropriate forums] [Auto]

3 hours ago, Bakir said:

Behaviours like the ones seen yesterday makes me wonder about the value of this statement. I really feel more connection with people with education and critical thinking than with people who share my religious beliefs. So can't care less about the numbers of the second group, especially when they target people of the first group unjustly.

It's sad that the bad apples have ruined our name. In fact, this is how extremists begin. With this poisonous hatred that fills their hearts. It's frankly disgusting how proud people are in their hatred. You're right, now, many people have associated the 'religious' ones with hypocrisy and hatred. Its just very disappointing to see the degradation of the name of our Prophet and his progeny being supported by the likes of such hateful individuals. 

11 hours ago, Marbles said:

Details please.

*grabs popcorn*

For individuals following a standard ketogenic diet, one cup of air-popped or oil-popped popcorn is fine as long as your daily intake of carbs is under anywhere from 20 to 50 grams of carbohydrates. 

https://perfectketo.com/is-popcorn-keto-friendly/

5 minutes ago, 2Timeless said:

I guess the reward is satisfaction and power they'd feel after hurting and disrespecting people.

But that's not rewarding at all! It's more likely self-punishment along with hurting others. :(

I don't understand it either. I hope I never do. 

10 minutes ago, King said:

I feel this site needs to get more moderators to catch up with the times.  At least someone who has elementary level knowledge of mental health issues and online abuse/bullying.  It is easy enough to warn and ban people for uttering the wrong word or breaking some rudimentary site rule.  People shouldn't be able to get away with extremely cruel personal remarks cloaked in Islamic slogans.  The same goes for a lot of racially insensitive remarks about Whites or Jews. 

This is an interesting suggestion, but given that all moderators are volunteer members in good standing, do you have any ideas how this might be accomplished? Do we even have any active members with a background in dealing with mental health issues? 

12 minutes ago, King said:

People shouldn't be able to get away with extremely cruel personal remarks cloaked in Islamic slogans

This is frequently seen in this community.

Once you are tagged as a liberal, feminist, LGBT in my case (and some may even dare to blame me for being open about it), know that you will constantly face prejudices, or suspicious (offensive) wording. The wrong behaviour will even be justified as Islamic, in order to bypass any type of moderation or opposition.

There are no secret liberal agendas here, nor there is need for any "Muslim sentinel" behaving like a disrespectful bigot. There is also no need for any type of censorship. There is need for maturity. Black point period.

Moderators don't have to ideologically shape the forum and its content, just make sure respect and freedom of opinion are a reality here. Seriously, stop defending bigots.

3 hours ago, Bakir said:

Moderators don't have to ideologically shape the forum and its content, just make sure respect and freedom of opinion are a reality here. Seriously, stop defending bigots.

Well said. Only time will do justice. Open mindedness and free thinking should be embraced on these forums. I have had experiences where the moderators play favorites here. It is truly disgusting. If you cannot govern fairly then take yourself out of that position.

12 minutes ago, Bakir said:

Obviously some behaviors are just wrong and absolutely indefensible, but moderators are bound by the rules - if there are toxic comments which do not, strictly speaking, violate any rules, it would border on censorship to remove them. I propose that members - especially members who agree ideologically with the poster of toxic comments - politely call them out. Ask for clarification, ask if they really meant to say what they appear to have said, give them a chance to take it back and apologize if necessary. That will lead to improved forum communication. Stricter moderation will not. 

Simple age old solutions-  

1. Treat others the way you want yourself to be treated. 

2. Respect is a mutual contract in any interaction between any number of people, strangers or otherwise. 

3. Anythig said and done without the civility and class is not worth doing, even amr bil maroof & nahi anil munkar.

4. Agree to disagree.

5. In conflicts, see things from other person’s point of view and get to a win-win conclusion.  

6. Don’t give in to bullies, distractors, verbal abusers, or physical assaulters. Take a stand, for yourself and for others. It will ruffle some feathers but don’t back off. Only hypocrites are loved by everybody.

1 minute ago, Irfani313 said:

6. Don’t give in to bullies, distractors, verbal abusers, or physical assaulters. Take a stand, for yourself and for others. It will ruffle some feathers but don’t back off. Only hypocrites are loved by everybody.

I agree with most of what you've said here, but this one suggestion is problematic. There are times to take a stand for what is right, and there are times to wait and see what develops. In any event, the first five suggestions are excellent advice.

4 minutes ago, notme said:

it would border on censorship to remove them

I agree, and we don't have to censor people for their ideas. However, this should not apply to the case of intolerance.

Tolerance towards intolerance is what sociology points out as one of the sources of a global increase of intolerance.

Moreover, in my experience, the intolerant bigots I had the "pleasure" to meet here are never sorry. They try to harm as much as they can, and when the mods' eye are on them, thet try to successfully fool them with their Islamic cloaks.

58 minutes ago, notme said:

But that's not rewarding at all! It's more likely self-punishment along with hurting others. :(

I don't understand it either. I hope I never do. 

I don't understand either. But what else can we expect from people who spend their time coming up with genius plans to hurt others? Maybe, in their own skewed perception of the world, they view hurting others as a reward. Sadists. 

14 hours ago, Bakir said:

Moderators don't have to ideologically shape the forum and its content..

Some years ago this was a great bone of contention among the site management and between them and some veteran members. Some mods/admins, especially those who have been on ShiaChat since its inception, argued for a purge of non-conformist Shias who were known to ask tough questions and start controversial debates. The fact that some behaved impolitely provided a justification that they were nothing but trolls. That period was also the worst time to be on this forum because there were so many ugly fights every day and a juggernaut of slander and ad hominem in every other thread that gave ShiaChat a bad image. All parties were guilty to some extent for taking things far, but it was easy for those who excused hate, slander, and misuse of power by invoking Islam and ideology to escape accountability.

The issue is far from settled.

Edited by Marbles

In reference to 90 Day Fiancé—the Queen is back. 

I’m appalled at how certain individuals can be so shameless and so negative and pathetic to resort to cyber bullying. Do they really have nothing going on in their lives besides staying at home all day? 

Remember: hurting people hurt other people. People who hurt others like what I’ve experienced and seen first-hand are probably miserable in real life. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

On 1/28/2019 at 1:56 PM, 2Timeless said:

I don't understand either. But what else can we expect from people who spend their time coming up with genius plans to hurt others? Maybe, in their own skewed perception of the world, they view hurting others as a reward. Sadists. 

You don't have to understand to accept that these people exist. The reasons may be as individual as the person.

Often times the only way to build themselves up is to abase someone else. To some there's just a level of pleasure in others pain. Some don't see characters on a screen as real people. Let's not forget all the isms as well. The internet becomes the platform to lash out. Many bring their anger issues to the internet because they don't have a cat to kick.

Narcissism is becoming popular, it's not hard to spot, it is hard to deal with. Bipolar can leave you wondering what just happened as well.

I grew up on a site too early to realize they needed moderators. Whatever happened happened. Then they decided to add moderators until the site was controlled by the "mod gods". ShiaChat has a good group of moderators. Neither feeble nor overbearing. It's also okay for them to allow some to grow an extra layer of skin. People are becoming too easily offended and it makes no sense.

If someone offers you a gift and you choose not accept it, to whom does the gift belong?  If someone offers you an insult and you choose not accept it, to whom does the insult belong? 

If someone online can insult you, it's because you believe their opinion has value. At the same time it should be obvious their opinion is skewed and therefore worthless. If someone insults you, it's not your reputation that is on the line, although the wrong response could change that.