Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Childhood Memories

Rate this topic

Urwatul Wuthqa

• Advanced Member

I only remember weird events from my childhood like very strange ones.

For example, when I was two years old I picked up a dead lizard and ran around the house trying to touch my siblings.

I agree we tend to remeber events which would probs trigger our emotions, even if it's a happy moment like the example I gave.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Salsabeel said:

Can you recall memories of events in detail when you were 4 or 5 years old?

I can recall everything from when I was 4. The layout of the house we lived in, my friends' names, the Auntie who lived down the road and had a dog named Lucy, my father teaching my brother to skate, the pine trees behind our house, mountain treks.....

I remember being tbe only Pakistani origin in my school while growing up in Europe. I remember my first day at primary school at around 4 years old and drawing a flower as my I.D for my cloak stand.

I also remember my first girlfriend called Kelly at age 4. I think that was my first experience with an opposite sex. She is still there in the school group photograph but now runs her own salon in Belgium lol 

I think we tend to remember memories more clearly if it leads to a deeper and sudden sensory effect through one of our five senses. So for example when we fall and bleed in the playground it causes us pain and we see blood, these triggers the touch and visual receptors in our brain. 

Edited by Murtaza1

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

Then how would you know that the happy ones are the happy ones?

If it makes you smile or laugh when you remember, it’s a happy one. 

I remember a lot of good/happy/funny moments but also the sad ones that I wish I could forget. 

Ma-sha Allah!!! So all of you have the ability to recall your childhood memories. 

May Almighty Lord increases your abilities and toufeeqat.

I can also recall my childhood memories. Both good & bad ones. I often share some of those memories with my kids to let them know how the world is changing and what was our activities as well as our problems in childhood.

@starlight, Sister do you remember your first پٹائی :D?

• Moderators

I can remember a few things. 

I remember when our family got a cat and my sister and I sat under the kitchen table with her deciding a name. 

I remember reading the book Mouse Soup to my mother. She didn't know I could read. I had been reading to myself before then. I came across the word "weasel" and didn't know what it was so I asked my mom. She was surprised, then asked me to read the entire book aloud. 

I remember falling from a merry-go-round and bruising my head. 

I remember when we got our first house. My sister and I ran through the empty rooms. She did cartwheels. I just ran. 

I have other very early memories, but they are vague. 

• Advanced Member
12 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Ma-sha Allah!!! So all of you have the ability to recall your childhood memories. 

May Almighty Lord increases your abilities and toufeeqat.

I can also recall my childhood memories. Both good & bad ones. I often share some of those memories with my kids to let them know how the world is changing and what was our activities as well as our problems in childhood.

@starlight, Sister do you remember your first پٹائی :D?

I don't remember :worried: so I didn't get emotional??

• Advanced Member

My favorite and most beautiful memory!!

When I first saw the gate of shrine of Shah-e-Khurasan Imam Reza (عليه السلام)..

That was a bright day.. The gate was silver, silver that enlighten everything more than the sun and I can't ever stop starring that!!

I was 6-7 may be.. But its my most highlighted memory!! Allhumdulilah..

3 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

I was around 7 and being a born cricketer I smashed one at our bedroom window while playing box cricket inside the house. Next moment, there was no window. 

That reminds me of my other childhood memory when a school bully smashed a window in the school playground by kicking a ball through it lol 

• Veteran Member

I have memories from the time I was around 2. Once I was in a glasshouse with my father and my uncle. Then I saw a broken window. I became curious and approached it. Then I injured my forearm and cried. Then we got in my father's car. I can remember his car and its colour. My uncle went and bought some red and orange candies. But I didnt stop crying and then we went to my aunt's house and gave the rest of candies to other kids.

When I was at this age, sometimes I emptied my father's bookshelves and lay there.

I can remember the house where we lived when I was about 2 or 2.5. Our landlord lived downstairs and I used to play with their daughter. They had a bird which they kept in a cage.

Then we moved to another flat which was more beautiful and we lived there until I was 4. I have some memories from there. For example the toys my uncle bought for us and my orange trike.

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

I can't quite figure out if some memories are real or not. Or how much is real/unreal. So I'm just waiting for my life to flash before my eyes when I die so I can confirm what really happened.

Reminds me one of my favourite lines from Marcel Proust.

"Reality takes shape in the memory alone."

It really does not matter what actually happened in the past. The only thing that is real and meaningful is that which you remember and the effect, good or bad, it had on you. That is how you will the past into existence, even if those memories were no more than a figment of your imagination - a nightmare etched into the mind which feels real, an exaggerated version of a banal incident, or a remembrance of having met someone or done a thing etc. 

PS: I'm not saying be delusional and pretend it's real lol

• Advanced Member

I’m still quite connected to that kid from small age years. It’s like being aware and experiencing the past present and future at the same time, it’s like haven’t I been here before?and like yeah we have been here and we know it... It’s hard to express properly 

its definitely a weird yet otherworldly feeling. I feel like that’s one of the reasons I’m so done with this limited and small world, it just gets on my nerves and makes me hate and get bored with the world 

most of my young childhood memories, thought, feelings and awareness were of religion and I guess bad stuff lol my younger years were objectively very tough but it’s my story I guess 

I remember because I had a promise I made to never forget. But as you grow older you become less disenchanted and you realize you may not be such a good person afterall...

im a pessimist at heart yet I still have hope lol 

I need to start connected with my ‘self’ that’s always existed 

Edited by Ralvi

• Advanced Member
22 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

.... I’m so done with this limited and small world, it just gets on my nerves and makes me hate and get bored with the

...and you realize you may not be such a good person afterall...

As salaamun aleikum brother,

I can TOTALLY relate to what you said here..may Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) help us all, in sha Allah...

W/s

37 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

I’m still quite connected to that kid from small age years. It’s like being aware and experiencing the past present and future at the same time, it’s like haven’t I been here before?and like yeah we have been here and we know it... It’s hard to express properly 

its definitely a weird yet otherworldly feeling. I feel like that’s one of the reasons I’m so done with this limited and small world, it just gets on my nerves and makes me hate and get bored with the world 

most of my young childhood memories, thought, feelings and awareness were of religion and I guess bad stuff lol my younger years were objectively very tough but it’s my story I guess 

I remember because I had a promise I made to never forget. But as you grow older you become less disenchanted and you realize you may not be such a good person afterall...

Good thing about being a pessimist is that you probably don't take things for granted and don’t expect too much good from anything but when good things happen they are probably just a pleasant surprise for you. Some people just suffer by being over optimistic about things. 

Edited by Murtaza1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

Good thing about being a pessimist is that you probably don't take things for granted and don’t expect too much good from anything but when good things happen they are probably just a pleasant surprise for you. Some people just suffer by being over optimistic about things. 

Nah man. Pessimists spend all their time unhappy because they're expecting the worst, then if the worst happens they remain unhappy and if better happens they wasted all that time being miserable for nothing. An optimist, on the other hand, is generally content, though, like everyone, experiences disappointment from time to time. Ideally, one should expect the best, and be prepared for the worst.

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

As salaamun aleikum brother,

I can TOTALLY relate to what you said here..may Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) help us all, in sha Allah...

W/s

Wasalam sister,

Isn’t it weird, our souls go through some things and we don’t even know all of it’s experiences and it’s nightime and out of body journeys. 

It cultivates in a very weird way, various ‘stasises’ and very surreal. Existing in a way that surpasses time in some weird way...again hard to express yet very real... how lucky are we that Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) made us smart creatures able to achieve such beautiful and deep feelings...

I wonder what we experienced in our original forms before coming to Earth. It’s obvious we love some people because we knew them during that time and liked them because they also loved Muhammed and Ahl Muhammed (SAAWS)

Edited by Ralvi