Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
rjmcq93

Twelver view of Zaidis

Rate this topic

Salam alaykum. I was Sunni until a few months ago when I started to research Shia Islam. Convinced of the imamate of Ali, Hassan and Hussein, I then had to decide between Twelver, Zaidi and Ismaili. To cut a long story short, now I am Twelver. However I would like to know what is the Twelver perspective on the Zaidis? Specifically 1) why is Muhammad al-Baqir the Imam and not his brother Zayd ibn Ali? The Zaidi view is related to the challenge for caliphate because Zayd led a rebellion whereas al-Baqir did not so what is the response to that? 2) Why is their madhab different to the Jafari madhab? 3) Are they viewed in the same way a one of the four Sunni madhabs would view each other, as in there is some differences but ultimately they are very close, or is it seen that there is a bigger separation between Twelver and Zaidi than this?

Any additional comments related to Twelver-Zaidi dialogue is welcome even if it is not about these three questions.

Also I'll post about Twelver-Ismaili differences separately so that both threads can be more focused.