Islandsandmirrors

Psychiatrist low-key fat shamed me—I want to lose weight

1 hour ago, Qa'im said:

I've told myself that I'm not going to stop dieting until I hit 170, even if it takes me the whole year, and I really want this more than anything right now, so the ends will justify the means.

@Islandsandmirrors

12 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I’ve been trying to lose weight, and while I’ve lost inches and fit into smaller pants than I did a while ago, my weight hasn’t budged. So obviously I’m going somewhere wrong.

Now, I visit my psychiatrist every 2 months, and I get weighed every time and my vitals checked. 

As of last year, I am up 20 pounds. So of course, my psychiatrist would have to monitor and bring up my weight if there are major fluctuations. 

I’ve mostly been skinny up until I got married and I now have a BMI of 23. My psychiatrist has been telling me for the last two visits indirectly that I should be losing weight. Before I left, she said, “Hope you lose some weight the next time I see you.”

I’m not new to counting calories or measuring my food or myfitnesspal. I know how to lose weight, however, every time I cut back my intake by even 500, I feel the urge to binge and feel like I’m starving. I’ve tried explaining this and she said that my urge to binge was psychological rather than physical, which I do agree with. But I would like to lose 5 pounds by my next appointment (which would be in two months) just to get her off my case.

I’ve never been this weight before, so finding the appropriate calories has been a challenge for me. (For both maintaining and losing weight.)  I want to lose the weight slowly. (Less than a pound a week.) What would be an appropriate deficit? 

@Qa'im

I think you can treat yourself to a little bit of a binge eating as a treat but not too much, so measure and plan your favourite treat in advance. Whenever you get closer to achieving a goal, depending on your results each time, you should treat yourself. This would act as your mental energy booster, make you feel good and push you more towards achieving your goal inshallah 

Edited by Murtaza1

18 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

I tjink you shoukd have a bit of binge eating as treat. Whenever you get closer to achieving a goal, depending on ykur results each time, you shoukd treat yourself. Tbmhis would act as your mental energy booster, make you feel good and pusj you morw towards achieving your goal inshallah 

I would advise against that. If your diet-exercise regime is working and your are getting closer to your goal, then you want to keep doing that until you get to where you want to be. The whole idea about cheat meals and cheat days is a sorry way of breaking your momentum, delaying your progress, and throwing you off the rails.

Personal experience. You never feel good after binge eating or cheat meals, and cheat meals easily become cheat days and cheat weeks and cheat months until you're back at square one.

Edit: On my birthday this year I went out with family. I asked my mum to bake a carb-free almond cheesecake for me. At the restaurant I ordered a beef steak with sugar-free sauce and sauteed veggies. We had a great time and I kept up with my diet program. I could have easily gorged on the delicious riot of carbs and sugars on the table but...no excuses for cheating. 

Edited by Marbles

10 minutes ago, Marbles said:

I would advise against that. If your diet-exercise regime is working and your are getting closer to your goal, then you want to keep doing that until you get to where you want to be. The whole idea about cheat meals and cheat days is a sorry way of breaking your momentum, delaying your progress, and throwing your off the rails.

Personal experience. You never feel good after binge eating or cheat meals, and cheat meals easily become cheat days and cheat weeks and cheat months until you're back at square one.

Edit: On my birthday this year I went out with family. I asked my mum to bake a carb-free almond cheesecake for me. At the restaurant I ordered a beef steak with sugar-free sauce and sauteed veggies. We had a great time and I kept up with my diet program. I could have easily gorged on the delicious riot of carbs and sugars on the table but...no excuses for cheating. 

Well if you can find ways to understand and find healthy foods then thats great but not everybody is in that position. Selecting, mixing and matching food is like an art form but gets confusing with so much information out there but we all have to eat to stay alive 

Edited by Murtaza1

"Imam Ali (عليه السلام) gave the best advice in this regard, if not mistaken. I don't remember the hadith but can try to find it later or someone else post it.

Just do this:  Only eat when you are hungry and stop eating while you are still hungry.

You have to make sure that you are actually hungry and not craving or whatever. Furthermore, you really have to stop eating early to make sure to stick with this "rule".

Humans actually really don't need a lot of food.. 
Anyway, do this and make sure it is healthy foods and proper water intake and enough movement.

For example dates and yogurt are great foods.

Lift heavy weights. It's great way to build muscle and burn fat. You may gain weight as muscle is dense but you will see the health and mental benefits.

If you have never lifted weight get a trainer as it can be dangerous.

6 hours ago, Warilla said:

Lift heavy weights. It's great way to build muscle and burn fat. You may gain weight as muscle is dense but you will see the health and mental benefits.

If you have never lifted weight get a trainer as it can be dangerous.

Yes very true. Lifting too much weight or using the wrong posture can negatively effect muscles, bones or even the circulatory system

On 1/19/2019 at 1:10 PM, Murtaza1 said:

I think you can treat yourself to a little bit of a binge eating as a treat but not too much, so measure and plan your favourite treat in advance. Whenever you get closer to achieving a goal, depending on your results each time, you should treat yourself. This would act as your mental energy booster, make you feel good and push you more towards achieving your goal inshallah 

With all due respect, binge-eating is extremely dangerous.  Have a having a snack or eating more/ bigger proportions is not the same as binge-eating because the former is a lack of control and a eating disorder that leads to low self-esteem, depression, fertility issues in women and obesity. You couldn't use it as a mental energy booster, it will backfire and just ruin your health. Don't give out advice on binge-eating if you don't know what it is.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

13 hours ago, Warilla said:

No. If the purpose is to lose fat then you want to do a combination of high intensity cardio and light weight training. That way you'd lose fat and gain moderate muscle. Lifting heavy weights with all that fat on would only lead to dense muscle mass but you'd still have all the work ahead of you to get rid of the fat through intense cardio.

Edited by Marbles

6 minutes ago, Marbles said:

No. If the purpose is to lose fat then you want to do a combination of high intensity cardio and light weight training. That way you'd lose fat and gain moderate muscle. Lifting heavy weights with all that fat on would only lead to dense muscle mass but you'd still have all the work ahead of you to get rid of the fat through intense cardio.

Doing intense cardio takes a lot of time and discipline. But doing short sessions of heavy weights builds muscle. That muscle you build requires more energy on a daily basis. As long as you don't increase calorie intake you will loose fat over time. The original poster is seeing a psychiatrist and is overweight I'm assuming motivation is a problem. But yeah studies show a combination of light weights and cardio is best for burning fat.

7 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

With all due respect, binge-eating is extremely dangerous.  Have a having a snack or eating more/ bigger proportions is not the same as binge-eating because the former is a lack of control and a eating disorder that leads to low self-esteem, depression, fertility issues in women and obesity. You couldn't use it as a mental energy booster, it will backfire and just ruin your health. Don't give out advice on binge-eating if you don't know what it is.

I agree with you. Sorry I just realised I used the wrong word. I shouldn't have said binge eating but eating a piece of their favourite food as a reward for successfully getting a step closer to reaching an aim for losing weight