Rate this topic

Does Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) forgive a hypocrite...?

I read a hadith of Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام). that Prophet Dawood (عليه السلام). did not pray the funeral for a person among Bani Israel because it was revealed to him by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) that the person was a hypocrite...yet when forty people  who didn't know about his hypocrysy gave testimony that the person was a believer... Allah accepted that testimony...and forgave the person

How can it be that a hypocrite who was one all his life and at death....be forgiven by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) when the Qur'an states clearly that the hypocrite will reside in hell..? I read that hadith in ayatullah dastghaib shirazi's book ma'ad....the hereafter

Please clear my confusion

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

Please post the hadith so we can read it and understand the context.

Thank you

M3 Salamah, Fe Amin Allah 

Alaikum Salaam

The hadith is as follows

Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام). is also reported to have said that there was a worshipper among Bani Israel about what God revealed to Dawood (عليه السلام). that he ( said worshipper) was a hypocrite. When he died, Dawood (عليه السلام). did not offer prayer on his body.

Others went and forty persons prayed for the salvation of the dead,saying:O! Lord we know nothing about this man except that he was doing good deeds and You know better. So kindly forgive him. When that body was given a wash another group of forty persons arrived and also uttered the same words,as they did not know about the hidden matters of the deceased.

Then it was asked through revelation to Dawood (عليه السلام). , "why did you not pray for him?" Dawood (عليه السلام). replied, "O Lord! I did not pray, as You had informed me that he was a hypocrite". A voice came from heaven, "Though it is true, a group of people had testified that he was a good man so I also confirmed it, accepted their testimony and forgave him".

27 minutes ago, Marzii said:

Ohhhh ok...it's fine..

But can you please help me with my confusion here?

The Hadith,,what’s the chain of narrators? Where did you find this? Was it off a book? 

59 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

The Hadith,,what’s the chain of narrators? Where did you find this? Was it off a book? 

2 hours ago, Ralvi said:

Yes I read it in ayatullah dastghaib shirazi's book the hereafter ( ma'ad)

Just now, Marzii said:

But isn't it against justice to forgive a hypocrite who didn't even repent, in relation to people who repent for their sins

Fair question, but we don't know all the facts behind the story, and we don't even have the Arabic text as english translations can cause some meaning to be lost.

So are we really in a place to judge whether or not it was just to forgive that person?

Or perhaps it's a completely fabricated hadith? Who knows.

I do know though intercession (by the permission of Allah) can go a very long way, though admittedly I have no proof that it extends to hypocrisy, perhaps someone else can address this.

3 minutes ago, dragonxx said:

Fair question, but we don't know all the facts behind the story, and we don't even have the Arabic text as english translations can cause some meaning to be lost.

So are we really in a place to judge whether or not it was just to forgive that person?

Or perhaps it's a completely fabricated hadith? Who knows.

I do know though intercession (by the permission of Allah) can go a very long way, though admittedly I have no proof that it extends to hypocrisy, perhaps someone else can address this.

Yes exactly....the authenticity of the hadith is not known....so we can't comment on it really...but still I am curious...

As to whether the mercy and justice of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) contradict each other?

Just now, Marzii said:

Yes exactly....the authenticity of the hadith is not known....so we can't comment on it really...but still I am curious...

As to whether the mercy and justice of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) contradict each other?

Certainly not.

Another thing to note is, we don't know the level of hypocrisy the person is guilty of. Is it professing belief in God but inside disbelieving? Or is it another, lesser form of hypocrisy? The former definitely would not be forgiven, but the latter has a chance for forgiveness leading me to believe its the latter form; should the person repent, or if his good deeds outdid some of his bad deeds, or if there was intercession from others, or a combination, etc. then there is no reason why that would be unjust.

Imagine a person who wasn't entirely hypocritical but also didn't really perform much good deeds in relation to helping other people, and he/she ends up with no intercessors; this person would still have to answer for the bad deeds which another person can be forgiven for due to intercession.

Just some thoughts to consider, hope it helps.