KnowledgeSeeker36

What do you think about the government shutdown? (United States)

Rate this topic

It's been proven time and again that the United States government should not be relied upon. Federal workers really got the short end of the stick, as usual.

The only way out is going to be to get the 2/3 majority vote to override the presidential veto. I've been encouraging people to contact their republican congressmen to get them on board, but nobody listens to me. 

In any event, Mr. Trump has already (uncharacteristically) accepted all the blame for the shutdown. There's no sense debating blame when it's already been claimed. All of Congress voted and passed a budget. The president used his veto to reject it. Even if he hadn't accepted the blame loudly and publicly, it's pretty obvious. 

35 minutes ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

What do you guys think about the government shutdown?

It happens almost every year. Its gone from being an avertable mess to a political weapon. 

36 minutes ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

What’s your stance on these current issues between Some Democrats and Republicans?

Its all about the wall and dirty politics. The Republicans have some idiot demands and the Democrats are being equally stupid. Its a reflection of the sad and pathetic state of American politics right now and how Congress has moved away from being servants of the Public, elected by the Public, working for the Public to a horrible corrupted govt. full of unqualified hicks and hacks that have no business being in office.

37 minutes ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

What about the furloughed federal workers? 

My heart goes out to them. Not only are they not getting paid but many are being forced to work for free by being called back to work. I was reading how many are unable to pay their bills. Terrible situation.

@notme Whether one agrees with her ideologies or not, in the evening yesterday  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez started a líve vídeo on Instagram also explaining that the House has passed 6 different bills into the senate for a government re-opening, but the senate isn’t doing anything. Apparently, Mitch McConnell does not want to reopen the government, and some headlines and news outlets states it’s because his seat is up for re-election in 2020 and he doesn’t want to lose it. 

I’m extremely sad for the thousands for Americans that have lost a paycheck. And for the others that are wondering whether or not they should look for other jobs, as well as those with bills to pay. 

I really don’t want a wall, but I’m scared if this continues for a while, and many people continue to be worried about their paychecks. 

6 hours ago, notme said:

I've been encouraging people to contact their republican congressmen to get them on board, but nobody listens to me. 

I've tried contacting congressmen, they won't listen if you're not their constituent. I heard they ask for your zipcode and based on that they decide whether to pass on your message to the senator or house rep. When I contacted my state senator, I was asked for my zipcode and I got a letter in the mail regarding my query too. I suppose you could remain ambiguous. The most effective to do it would be to build coalitions across states and district boundaries and then work collectively and this is easily doable with social media and the internet these days. These things are way more effective when done collectively anyway. 

My house rep. is an anti-Trump democrat, so are both my state senators. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

I think both the Democratic and Republican parties are acting like spoiled school children. The money Trump is asking for, for 'The Wall' is 5 billion dollars out of a 4.4 trillion dollar budget. That's around 1% of the budget. They agree on 99%. So for that 1%, they are making the men and women who work for the federal government, most of whom are not rich, go without pay while they pay themselves (and most of them are rich already). Also, there is nothing new about a border wall. There is already many walls on the border between the US and Mexico. 

This is all for the 2020 election. They are thinking about their own campaigns, and not the people, as they claim. Trump wants to be able to brag at his rallies that he fulfilled his campaign promise and built 'the wall' (whatever that means) even though the democrats fought him (so he can seem like a big, tough guy) and the democrats want to block him from being able to say he 'built the wall'. That's all it is. Both parties are completely delusional and apart from reality. 

1. There is already a wall on the US / Mexican border. It is being added to as we speak, with or without the 5 billion. This started way before Trump. Even with the 5 billion, the wall will still not extend along all 1800 miles of the US / Mexican border. So what is Trump trying to do exactly ? 

2. You knuckleheads already agree on 99% of the budget. 

3. It is the average federal worker, that had nothing to do with the shutdown, that is suffering and the ones who caused the shutdown are not suffering, because they already voted to pay themselves. That is called, 'Injustice', and it has consequences. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

57 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

I think both the Democratic and Republican parties are acting like spoiled school children. The money Trump is asking for, for 'The Wall' is 5 billion dollars out of a 4.4 trillion dollar budget. That's around 1% of the budget. They agree on 99%. So for that 1%, they are making the men and women who work for the federal government, most of whom are not rich, go without pay while they pay themselves (and most of them are rich already). Also, there is nothing new about a border wall. There is already many walls on the border between the US and Mexico. 

This is all for the 2020 election. They are thinking about their own campaigns, and not the people, as they claim. Trump wants to be able to brag at his rallies that he fulfilled his campaign promise and built 'the wall' (whatever that means) even though the democrats fought him (so he can seem like a big, tough guy) and the democrats want to block him from being able to say he 'built the wall'. That's all it is. Both parties are completely delusional and apart from reality. 

1. There is already a wall on the US / Mexican border. It is being added to as we speak, with or without the 5 billion. This started way before Trump. Even with the 5 billion, the wall will still not extend along all 1800 miles of the US / Mexican border. So what is Trump trying to do exactly ? 

3. It is the average federal worker, that had nothing to do with the shutdown, that is suffering and the ones who caused the shutdown are not suffering, because they already voted to pay themselves. That is called, 'Injustice', and it has consequences. 

Hit the nail on the head

2 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

The wall Trump wants to build is not easy to build, for one you will need to have a comprehensive study done to resolve many of the challenges it faces. One challenge is that the terrain covering the entire US/Mexico border is not the same, so how the wall will be built across different patches of terrain is a challenge. Secondly, the wall will need to be built in such a way that it it does not hinder economic activity like agriculture as well as ranching. There are also environmental challenges at play here. Also, I don't believe there is much of an illegal immigration crisis, the numbers have fallen recently, and also a lot of people that are illegally present in the US just overstay visas. This makes up a major chunk of the illegal immigrants. Not to mention the wall after the study is done will be a lot more expensive than it is actually quoted at this point. Maintaining it will be a challenge too, you will need homeland security to monitor the entire thing, and have the money to pay all of them as well. There is every likelihood that they won't be able to effectively control each and every person entering the country, in which case there is no real purpose in building the wall. 

I can confirm, I used to work in land development, $5 billion wouldn't even be 1/4 the cost of a wall along remaining unprotected border sections, and it would be an environmental disaster. 

US President invokes Israeli wall to justify border barrier

http://en.abna24.com/news//us-president-invokes-israeli-wall-to-justify-border-barrier_926434.html

January 26, 2019 - 5:51 PM News Code : 926434 Source : PressTVLink: 
US President invokes Israeli wall to justify border barrier

US President Donald Trump has invoked an Israeli-made separation wall in the occupied Palestinian territories to defend his proposed security barrier on the US-Mexico border. 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:51 PM, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

Asalamu Alaikum, 

What do you guys think about the government shutdown? What’s your stance on these current issues between Some Democrats and Republicans? What about the furloughed federal workers? 

It is all about dirty politics... poly + tics ( so many blood sucking creatures).  Interest interest interest.  Not about solving issues. Just create issues that can make you publically hot.

When two elephants involve in dirty political fights, those small creatures will be trampled. For politicians, people are not important, only votes count.

In politics, you can lie, be hypocrite,  cry, morph into anything as long as your interest is served.  All will behave like sweet talkers or tough person.