Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Soldiers and Saffron

Marzieh Hashemi imprisoned unlawfully

notme

Moderator note: I have hidden more than a dozen off topic, argumentative posts. The moderation team will discuss whether further penalties are necessary. 

Please stay on topic and treat each other the way you would like to be treated. 

Message added by notme

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

They strike me as the kind of people who play the “oppression” card. Similarly to a sister on this site who got fired and later said the place that hired her, “conspired against her because she was a Muslim” and that she quit and not because of her skills. 

You could try and assume the better instead of the worse when its about your own sister in faith.

Just because they "strike you" as someone ells, that does not mean you can slander them by calling them liars.

1 minute ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Iran has to focus on its own improvement of issues, such as people stealing and paying judges to side with you before trial. 

Sure! I don’t disagree with you. But if you’re American, it makes no sense to be critical of Iran, I don’t pay taxes to the Iranian government, I pay taxes to the US government and that gives me a right to demand accountability. So if I do that and I am held for a similar reason, would you say well they had a reason to hold me anyway? I’m a threat to the US? I don’t particularly care about the person’s views but I am against this idea that we should use this idea that they’re uncritical of other governments to then say well they are a threat. Tomorrow the US could say this about journalists that work for RT in the US, calling them Russian propagandists, because their views can’t be heard on US mainstream media. So what if they can’t be critical of Russia on RT, they don’t live there to begin with? It’s a very slippery slope that strengthens authoritarian control. Americans are critical of big govt anyway and I think this would be a case of overreach that we should demand answers to. Remember the quote first they came for x and I didn’t speak coz I wasn’t y,.... then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.

1 minute ago, IbnSina said:

You could try and assume the better instead of the worse when its about your own sister in faith.

Just because they "strike you" as someone ells, that does not mean you can slander them by calling them lairs.

I like to see through the BS. I will not tolerate anyone trying the pull the “oppression” card “race” card, “gay” card and any other [insert card]. 

When you speak out against a country so publically and hatefully, you can’t expect them to not be worried you are a terrorist. 

24 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I met Marziyeh. And I have nothing good to say about her since she has turned her back into her own country and tried to indoctrinate in us with her own lies and crap about the US. Anyone who supports wholeheartedly a regime without critical thinking deserves no empathy from me. 

America is my home. My country. And no one can change my mind. I’m a PROUD American, bread and buttered, and I won’t stand for nonsense against my country. If she hates America so much, she should get the hell out, and never come back. 

Good Riddance. 

It’s very hypocritical of her to spend an entire career bashing the US when she chooses to visit. 

Wow. You are actually very foolish. MARZIEH IS A HERO. SHE WISHES THE BEST FOR AMERICA. FOOLS THINK SHE HATES IT.

31 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I like to see through the BS. I will not tolerate anyone trying the pull the “oppression” card “race” card, “gay” card and any other [insert card]. 

When you speak out against a country so publically and hatefully, you can’t expect them to not be worried you are a terrorist. 

What?

Speaking out against the government (Trump as a president) of a country makes you a suspect terrorist? You literally need to log out of ShiaChat and take a couple of minutes to calm down.

You insist on calling her and her family liars based on nothing more than them "striking you" like someone ells. Do you not see that it is a very disgraceful behavior? 

Do you wish us all to slander and insult you as well just because you strike us as someone ells too? Because right now you strike me like the kind of over the top overcompensating fanatic patriot person who calls anyone who is speaking out against their government terrorist suspects and tells them to get the hell out if they are not happy.

I don’t know if your having a bad day or something but I feel like you are showing the worst sides of you right now and I would like to ask you to calm down and take a break.

1 hour ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I am not “supporting” anyone. All I’m saying is that the US never arrests anyone unless there is a reason. 

Read history. Study it, learn from it.

You have a country and you like it, OK you are one in 7 billion.

But go study the history of your country. Analyze the current situation of your country. Reflect on it.

Saying that nobody is arrested in your country without reason; I mean this is inherently absurd. There are wrongful arrests in every country, even the best of countries. So you cannot legitimately believe such a thing unless you are deluded.

Even if they had the right to keep her as a witness, or she made a mistake by not filling a certain paper or something. This does mean that you rip the womans hijab off and offer her only PORK for days? And keep her in jail for this long time? And so much more? Remind you this woman is 59 years old.

Thank Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) she is free. A lot of cases like this I am afraid do not get free after such times but perhaps with the pressure, they had to. 

US releases American journalist working for Iranian state TV after uproar

Marzieh Hashemi was held for 10 days as witness in unspecified criminal case, sparking anger in US and Iran

Jamiles Lartey in New Orleans

Thu 24 Jan 2019 01.06 GMTLast modified on Thu 24 Jan 2019 01.24 GMT

Marzieh Hashemi was arrested in St Louis on 13 January.

An American newscaster for the Iranian government’s Press TV was released late Wednesday after her 10-day long detention in federal custody provoked outrage in the US and Iran.

FBI agents arrested Marzieh Hashemi, a US citizen, at St Louis airport on 13 January. She was held as a material witness in an unspecified criminal proceeding, according to documents unsealed by the Department of Justice on Friday. Her detention prompted concerns about the potential first amendment issues of detaining a journalist, as well as religious liberty issues as Hashemi, a practicing Muslim, was reportedly denied Halal food and had her hijab forcibly removed.

“Marzieh and her family will not allow this to be swept under the carpet,” the woman’s family said in a statement shortly after her release. They “still have serious grievances [and] they want assurances that this won’t happen to any Muslim – or any other person – ever again”.

Iranian state television anchor arrested after flying into the US

Read more

Hashemi has not been charged with any crime and appeared before a federal grand jury at least three times. US law allows the government to arrest and hold so-called “material witnesses” if a judge agrees that the individual has information that is important to a criminal proceeding and may flee if simply subpoenaed to appear in court.

The justice department did not return a Guardian query about the nature of the criminal proceeding or why it took the step of detaining Hashemi to secure her testimony. It may have been due to the fact that she frequently travels to and lives part-time in Iran.

Her release follows intense outrage in Tehran, where journalists gathered earlier on Wednesday to call the detention “illegal” and a “violation of human rights”.

“This shows, for sure, to be a flagrant violation of human rights, a violation of domestic rights, a violation of freedom of speech and the freedom of the press. There is no doubt about that,” said Seyed Mostafa Khoshcheshm, a political analyst in Tehran, according to the Tasnim news agency. The comments came alongside a joint statement from three major Iranian journalist associations condemning the detention.

Supporters of Marzieh Hashemi demonstrate in Washington.  Supporters of Marzieh Hashemi demonstrate in Washington. Photograph: Cliff Owen/AP

Hashemi’s arrest added fuel to an increasingly tumultuous diplomatic relationship between the US and Iran, which has been unsettled by the Trump administration’s decision to back out of the nuclear deal negotiated by the Obama administration and to reinstitute harsh sanctions.

“The US govt needs to explain how Marzieh Hashemi – a journalist and grandmother – is such a flight risk that she must be incarcerated until she finishes her testimony to a grand jury,” said the Iranian foreign minister, Mohammed Javad Zarif, in a tweet on Monday, which was observed as Martin Luther King Jr Day in the US. “50 years after MLK assassination, US still violates the civil rights of black men and women,” he continued.

Hashemi was born Melanie Franklin in Louisiana and changed her name when she converted to Islam after the Iranian revolution. According to Press TV, she has primarily lived in Iran for over a decade and was in the US to visit a sick family member. Hashemi was also working on a documentary about the Black Lives Matter movement while in the US.

The statement from Hashemi’s family said she was expected to make comment “in due course” and that she was planning to attend one of over two dozen events around the world that organizers had already planned for Friday to protest for her freedom.

“Just as America is aware of the harassment of the Black community by the police, America needs to start talking about the harassment of the Muslim community by the FBI,” read the statement.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/23/marzieh-hashemi-Iran-us-arrest-journalist

46 minutes ago, baradar_jackson said:

Read history. Study it, learn from it.

You have a country and you like it, OK you are one in 7 billion.

But go study the history of your country. Analyze the current situation of your country. Reflect on it.

Saying that nobody is arrested in your country without reason; I mean this is inherently absurd. There are wrongful arrests in every country, even the best of countries. So you cannot legitimately believe such a thing unless you are deluded.

Remind them of Guantanamo Bay, where countless men such as El-IBRAHIMI were arrested and detained at that facility just on suspicion of being terrorists or having connections to terror. in the end, this man like countless men were completely innocent. Its called "extraordinary rendition", where the CIA can snatch you anywhere in the world just on the suspicion of having ties to any FBI listed terror groups. mind you these terror groups always benefit from American aid. anyway you get snatched, are denied complete legal representation and kept in solitary confinement for as long as they wish. Some people spend years in solitary confinement and when they are eventually released their minds are so damaged they can hardly be able to speak especially since they get "waterboarded" among other things at the Bay as well as at various CIA black sites around the world. and their US SUPREME COURT, has actually legalised these cruel methods of detention. Being arrested without due process of law is a fine American tradition just as their police killing unarmed black men is one of their finest traditions. even when Barack Obama was President, black man as President made no difference. Torture is a fine American tradition.

What America upholds in their own country and around the world is just words, but their actions against the "other" has always been consistent. pulling off a womans hijab and denying her halal food forcing her to NOT EAT is torture under international human rights law.

2 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

That is true, lol. There are too many weirdos on here. And thanks, sister. :) 

Dear sister - as soon as Marzieh was released, this was what she said (see the video above), no hate talk, no bitterness, just plain facts and a call to oppose the gaps in our legal system. Any decent human being would do this.

Contrast it with yours, as soon as you were released back on this temporarily locked thread.^ 

I pray, inshAllah over time you would get more wisdom and a deeper view of things and may strive to act better. My prayers..

It's not against the law for them to ask you to take off your hijab for ID purposes. This is common for passports as well as mugshots. 

It varies. My passport photo is with hijab. 

Just now, notme said:

It varies. My passport photo is with hijab. 

My mother has always taken her passport photo without hijab as this is very common. They always tell her it's for ID purposes and that she can put it back on. Maybe some states have more leniency regarding this issue. 

3 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Maybe some states have more leniency regarding this issue. 

I think so. I carefully read the guidelines and made sure I complied with them, and I didn't have any problem, but I've heard of many women being required to remove hijab for passport or even driver license photos. 

What's wrong in speaking out against the US? We should never feel afraid to speak out against a country which has ruined nations, killed innocent people and initiated mess in the Middle East. Imam Khomeini even says 'death to America' and that is totally justifiable, so whats wrong with this journalist speaking against the US (well I don't know if she did).

In Iran, you are given clothes and hijab.

In God's wrath upon America MB you are strip searched, molested, put under suicide watch, given pork meals, your record sealed and disappeared and no one knows your fate.

Wa Allahi if you are an animal in America MB you are treated better and  have more rights than human beings.

3 minutes ago, Laayla said:

In God's wrath upon America MB you are strip searched, molested, put under suicide watch, given pork meals, your record sealed and disappeared and no one knows your fate.

Wa Allahi if you are an animal in America MB you are treated better and  have more rights than human beings.

Normal prison inmates are given the meals that they require. If this claim that she was only given pork is true, it was nothing but an attempt to terrorize and manipulate the witness. 

This whole thread is just speculation and immature insults being thrown around. Honestly, many people need to grow up. Embarrassing, truly. People are throwing around insults to not only one individual (bullying) but also send their wrath on a whole nation. You think Allah will listen to such hateful individuals? Where do you get with all these anti-American curses? What do you gain? Pray that Allah punishes the evil and rewards the good. It's honestly shameful as a Shia to see how people scurry to gang up on one individual. Regardless of how much you disagree with someone's opinion, as a civilised human being you maintain respect for others, or at least for yourself. 

May Allah forgive us all and ease and reward all those being oppressed. 

Edited by 2Timeless

On 1/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, Laayla said:

Surprisingly sister I&M doesn't speak against how they forcibly removed her hijab, gave her pork meals and left her in short sleeves T-shirt.

Sub7an'Allah 

Hmm how do you know that happened were you in the cell next to her while they did that ?

My condolences to our Imam (ajf) for the sorry state of his so called followers and supporters.

A Muslim women, the age of our mothers, was unlawfully put in imprisonment, no charges were made. She has said to her daughter over the phone that they forcefully removed her hijab and did not provide her with any food according to the laws of Islam while being forced to stay there physically against her will.

Safe to say, her political views most possibly had a role to play in how they treated her during the unlawful imprisonment and why she even got taken to begin with.

Yet some Muslims here give themselves the right to accuse her of lying, do they not understand the severity of their accusation? And based on what do they accuse her of lying? Is it right to assume that a Muslim is lying without evidence or history of such behavior? Please reconsider the way you think about other Muslims because it reflects on yourself more than anything ells.

Others want to talk about Iran and how journalists get into jail there, what does that have to do with this? An old Muslim women had her hijab forced off and put into prison unlawfully and without any charges, and you wish to talk about other countries? I don’t care about what country this happens in, or if she was a journalist or not, if a Muslim women is harassed and disrespected, we should all raise our voices regardless of differences in political views. 

I ask that whoever wishes to do back talking and slander about the Muslim sister Marzieh, to call her a lair and a munafiq while she is not here to defend herself, to please leave my thread.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) not ever put you or your family in a situation like this and then watch as the Muslims speak ill of you while you are hoping for their support and help. WaAllahi I feel so sorry for our Imam(ajf) and I feel so sorry for the brothers and sisters who can’t see beyond themselves in these situations.

As I understand it, she was not charged with any crime. She was held as a witness. Is that even legal? Anyone know federal law well enough to answer? Also, as a witness it seems to me she should have been provided with whatever food and appropriate clothing changes she required. A witness should not be given prison food or prison uniform or treated as a suspect. 

This is not a good approach at all, to compare different cases, when someone is clearly being treated unfairly and not according to the law. I have read the thread and it is offensive to make such comments about Marzeih, especially when she committing no crime and was mysteriously taken into custody. Most statements against her in this thread were speculative and vague in nature, such as 'I met her', 'she makes a career by talking bad about America'. This is not an excuse to not stand up against oppression and injustice. 

America has always created mess in this world. Why do we stick up to America as if they rule this entire world. Do you think America will respect a journalist who was filming a 'black lives matter documentary' once this country brought slaves from Africa and treated them like animals. No one enjoys bashing America randomly, there is a wisdom behind it. Imam Khomeini could of been passive and let America play their political games. However he knew that we have to fear God not these tyrants in administration. If we see injustice, we need to speak out, even if our words come across as slightly harsh. Do we realize how much mess America created in Iran? All they care about is power and money. 

It honestly hurts me how undivided we Shias can be. This thread was simply there for us to pray for Marzeih and wish her all the best, but apparently that was very difficult. I really do pray for the hastening of the reappearance of our beloved Imam Mahid (عليه السلام).

4 hours ago, Laayla said:

In Iran jail you tourtered into confessing into a crime you didn’t do

in Iran you don’t have a toilet you are to go in a hole 

you don’t have fresh running water 

you are in a cell with 50 people

gods wrath upon Iran jails 

2 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

That's only for Al-Qaeda/Taliban scum. I don't feel sorry for them in the slightest either.

And you believe the accuracy of people they put in there is 100%?

They have all been given a fair trial before being judged to a life time of torture and imprisonment? Should I share the stories, pictures and videos or will you google them yourself?

1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

And you believe the accuracy of people they put in there is 100%?

They have all been given a fair trial before being judged to a life time of torture and imprisonment? Should I share the stories, pictures and videos or will you google them yourself?

^ Too bad they didn't show any mercy or fairness while or before killing their own brethren for not following their skewed version of Islam. Are you really going to argue with me about this, when others who share their views kill Shias daily in Pakistan and Iraq.

30 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

^ Too bad they didn't show any mercy or fairness while or before killing their own brethren for not following their skewed version of Islam. Are you really going to argue with me about this, when others who share their views kill Shias daily in Pakistan and Iraq.

I don’t think you understand what I am saying, I am saying that since non of them received a trial, most likely some of them are not guilty of all that which you are mentioning.

58 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

I am saying that since non of them received a trial, most likely some of them are not guilty of all that which you are mentioning.

They don't deserve mercy or a trial, Sina.  I'll say it again, they are merciless to the "kufar" even if he believes in the same God as they do. It is easy to say this online  but you cannot look at me and tell me with a straight face that some Al-Qaeda/Taliban/Daesh worm deserves the same rights to trial as I do when he didn't respect others' Islamic rights and killed them.