Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Soldiers and Saffron

Marzieh Hashemi imprisoned unlawfully

notme

Moderator note: I have hidden more than a dozen off topic, argumentative posts. The moderation team will discuss whether further penalties are necessary. 

Please stay on topic and treat each other the way you would like to be treated. 

Message added by notme

Rate this topic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_witness

A material witness (in American law) is a person with information alleged to be material concerning a criminal proceeding. The authority to detain material witnesses dates to the First Judiciary Act of 1789, but the Bail Reform Act of 1984 most recently amended the text of the statute, and it is now codified at 18 you.S.C. § 3144. The most recent version allows material witnesses to be held to ensure the giving of their testimony in criminal proceedings or to a grand jury.

Since September 11, 2001, the you.S. has used the material witness statute to detain suspects without charge for indefinite periods of time, often under the rubric of securing grand-jury testimony. This use of the statute is controversial and is currently under judicial review. In Ashcroft v. al-Kidd (2011), the detainee was never charged or called as a witness, and sued then-you.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft. The you.S. Supreme Court overturned a ruling by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and held that Ashcroft qualified for immunity because of his official position.

Detentions of material witnesses after September 11[edit]

After the attacks of September 11, 2001, the United States government announced a campaign of aggressive detention, by whatever means possible, of those potentially involved in attacks on the United States.[1] The means included using the material witness statute to detain even suspects (as opposed to witnesses). Many of those detained as material witnesses were detained as witnesses to grand juryproceedings,[2] which only investigate and are not criminal trials.[citation needed]

This caused controversy for several reasons. Primarily, critics believed that the government's use of the material witness statute to detain suspects was an evasion of the Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution, which provides some protections to criminal suspects that were apparently ignored in the arrests of the material witness detainees post-September 11. Secondarily, legal critics took issue with the application of the material witness statute to grand jury proceedings.

Please recite salawat 

From the Washington Post

Iranian journalist Marzieh Hashemi released from U.S. custody, completes testimony to grand jury

An Iranian television journalist with dual you.S.-Iranian citizenship completed her testimony before a federal grand jury in Washington and was released Wednesday from you.S. government custody, three people familiar with the case said.

No further details were immediately available regarding the whereabouts of Marzieh Hashemi, 59, a veteran producer and on-air presenter for Iran’s English-language Press TV, whose arrest Jan. 13 by the FBI on a “material witness” warrant drew protests from Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Hashemi’s family said she was arrested when she arrived at Lambert International Airport in St. Louis, where she had been working on a documentary about Black Lives Matter, before boarding a flight to Denver to visit her adult children in Colorado.

Related: [U.S. government confirms it is holding jailed journalist from Iran as witness ]

The U.S. government confirmed Friday in an unsealed court order that it was holding Hashemi, who also was referred to by her birth name of Melanie Franklin, pending her testimony, and that she has not been accused of any crime.

Material witness warrants are rare and can be used to arrrest witnesses if they have information important to a criminal investigation and are deemed likely to flee. Hashemi’s case is the first such filed in federal court in Washington this year.

Grand jury proceedings are closed and the nature of the investigation in which Hashemi’s testimony has not been made public.

Hashemi was seen entering the federal courthouse in Washington, D.C., Wednesday morning in street clothes with one of her sons, where her testimony was expected. The people familiar with her case said she was released after her testimony concluded Wednesday afternoon, as a small crowd of demonstrators rallied in her behalf outside the courthouse for the you.S. District Court of the District.

Press TV, a Tehran-based network overseen by the Iranian government, and Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting objected to Hashemi’s detention, and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif last week called her arrest a “violation of freedom of speech.”

Her son Hossein Hashemi, a research fellow at the University of Colorado, told The Washington Post on Friday that he, his mother and two of his siblings had been subpoenaed to appear at court in Washington but said he did not know the subject matter.

It was not clear by early Wednesday evening if Hashemi’s children had completed their testimony. Efforts to contact an attorney for one of them was unsuccessful.

Preston Burton, an American attorney representing Hashemi, said the matter was under seal.

One of the people familiar with the case said she and her children were together at a hotel.

Emails to Iran’s permanent mission at the United Nations and de fact consular interests section at the Pakistan Embassy in Washington requesting comment were not returned.

A U.S. Justice Department spokesman referred questions to the unsealed order by U.S. District Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell, which stated the U.S. government expected to release Hashemi “immediately following the completion of her testimony before a grand jury investigating violations of U.S. criminal law.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/iranian-tv-journalist-marzieh-hashemi-released-from-us-custody-after-testifying/2019/01/23/9f6d7ca4-1f59-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html?utm_term=.679020c02270

Edited by Hameedeh
Removed a textual formatting problem.

PRESS RELEASE

All Praise Is Due To Allah

Marzieh Hashemi has been released from her detention without charge and is with her family in Washington DC.

Marzieh and her family will not allow this to be swept under the carpet. They still have serious grievances and want answers as to how this was allowed to happen.

They want assurances that this won’t happen to any Muslim – or any other person – ever again.

Just as America is aware of the harassment of the Black community by the police, America needs to start talking about the harassment of the Muslim community by the FBI.

Marzieh Hashemi will be remaining in Washington DC for the protest on Friday and calls for all cities across the world to keep their protest.

This was never just about Marzieh Hashemi. 

Marzieh will be making comment in due course. 

Media contact marziehenquiries@gmail.com

Unfortunately, she was heavily involved in politics against the US. She probably spoke out heavily against the West, and you are all wondering why the US arrested her as a presumed target/threat? 

On 1/22/2019 at 4:12 AM, Laayla said:

Sister Marzieh has a court appearance tomorrow, January 23, along with her son.  What right do they have to put her in solitary confinement?  

A woman I knew in Iran was put into solitary confinement in the US, because both she and her husband were trying to import illegal spy goggles. 

The US doesn’t put just anyone into solitary confinement. There’s always a reason. 

Are you going to tell me that this woman I’ve mentioned is innocent as well? 

^^^

Sister, America is not immune to criticism.  What is the purpose of the first Amendment if an American born and raised naturalized citizen, can't speak about her country?

Why is she a threat for voicing her opinion against oppression?

2 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Unfortunately, she was heavily involved in politics against the US. She probably spoke out heavily against the West, and you are all wondering why the US arrested her as a presumed target/threat? 

48 minutes ago, Laayla said:

^^^

Sister, America is not immune to criticism.  What is the purpose of the first Amendment if an American born and raised naturalized citizen, can't speak about her country?

Why is she a threat for voicing her opinion against oppression?

It’s not oppression that she was speaking out against that is the problem. People like her can become a danger to America and do the unspeakable. Besides, why have you ignored my other post about that criminal Iranian woman who imported spy goggles? There’s always a reason for solitary confinement.

45 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

It’s not oppression that she was speaking out against that is the problem. People like her can become a danger to America and do the unspeakable. Besides, why have you ignored my other post about that criminal Iranian woman who imported spy goggles? There’s always a reason for solitary confinement.

Why is she a danger sister and what are you afraid of?

If they had something against her the MSM would have a field day to report it.  Yet, they have nothing on her.

3 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

There is something called due process, you can’t hold someone for that long and not charge them with anything. She was held as a material witness and yet there’s no public declaration about what she was a witness to. She’s a US citizen, which means she’s entitled  to her 4th amendment rights, which prevents the govt from holding you without trial. Unfortunately with unconstitutional laws like the patriot act passed, politicians have used the threat of terrorism to trample on the constitution. But rest assured you should always question authority and what motivates them rather than give them the benefit of doubt. 

17 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Surprisingly sister I&M doesn't speak against how they forcibly removed her hijab, gave her pork meals and left her in short sleeves T-shirt.

Sub7an'Allah 

They can’t “force” anything like that. That’s absolutely BS. People like Marziyeh who go around on a US-Bashing spree can become one of those crazies on TV, the ones that go shoot and kill people in the name of hate of all things Western. 

Again, I’m not surprised. I met Marziyeh, who visited the international school I was in back in Iran, and all she talked about was how horrible America was and how amazing Iran is. As if Iran is not an oppressive country and how the people in power lie and steal from the people, Day in, day out. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

9 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Surprisingly sister I&M doesn't speak against how they forcibly removed her hijab, gave her pork meals and left her in short sleeves T-shirt.

Sub7an'Allah 

Its a woman’s jail. Everyone has to dress in prison clothes. No exceptions. 

she has been released al hamdellah...

8 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

They can “force” anything like that. That’s absolutely BS. People like Marziyeh who go around on a US-Bashing spree can become one of those crazies on TV, the ones that go shoot and kill people in the name of hate of all things Western. 

Again, I’m not surprised. I met Marziyeh, who visited the international school I was in back in Iran, and all she talked about was how horrible America was and how amazing Iran is. As if Iran is not an oppressive country and how the people in power lie and steal from the people, Day in, day out.

you can see but you have no vision

4 minutes ago, abuhaydar said:

wow.

I know that must come as a huge shock to you. But in America, male prisoners are only in men’s jails, and women in women-only jails and the jails in America are gender-segregated due to the obvious. 

I know that must come as a huge shock to you. But in America, male prisoners are only in men’s jails, and women in women-only jails and the jails in America are gender-segregated due to the obvious. 

my shock is at an actual "Shia" siding with america in illegally arresting and abusing a Muslim sister of yours... and you are defending the oppressors... 

Edited by abuhaydar

5 minutes ago, abuhaydar said:

she has been released al hamdellah...

you can see but you have no vision

You are the one who is blind. May Allah guide you.

10 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

They can “force” anything like that. That’s absolutely BS. People like Marziyeh who go around on a US-Bashing spree can become one of those crazies on TV, the ones that go shoot and kill people in the name of hate of all things Western. 

Seriously? Really? 

You advocate empathy to some, but for a momina like sister Marzieh she gets the end of the stick. 

5 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Its a woman’s jail. Everyone has to dress in prison clothes. No exceptions. 

Men don't work in the facility, sister?  

You make baffling statements.

Anyways, goodnight sister you already made up your mind about her.  Going back and forth about this is pointless.

Alhamd'Allah she is freed from the oppressive jail cell and she will now have a bigger larger platform to speak against oppression more than you and I.

I'm thankful.

1 minute ago, abuhaydar said:

my shock is at an actual "Shia" siding with america in illegally arresting and abusing a Muslims sister of yours... and you defending the oppressors... 

I am not “supporting” anyone. All I’m saying is that the US never arrests anyone unless there is a reason. 

1 minute ago, Laayla said:

Seriously? Really? 

You advocate empathy to some, but for a momina like sister Marzieh she gets the end of the stick. 

Men don't work in the facility, sister?  

You make baffling statements.

Anyways, goodnight sister you already made up your mind about her.  Going back and forth about this is pointless.

Alhamd'Allah she is freed from the oppressive jail cell and she will now have a bigger larger platform to speak against oppression more than you and I.

I'm thankful.

I met Marziyeh. And I have nothing good to say about her since she has turned her back into her own country and tried to indoctrinate in us with her own lies and crap about the US. Anyone who supports wholeheartedly a regime without critical thinking deserves no empathy from me. 

America is my home. My country. And no one can change my mind. I’m a PROUD American, bread and buttered, and I won’t stand for nonsense against my country. If she hates America so much, she should get the hell out, and never come back. 

Good Riddance. 

It’s very hypocritical of her to spend an entire career bashing the US when she chooses to visit. 

2 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I am not “supporting” anyone. All I’m saying is that the US never arrests anyone unless there is a reason. 

Of course there is a "reason." That reason may be fear and intimidation, trying to make an example out of her, trying to silence her, etc. It's ridiculously naive of you to think the US only arrests someone for just reasons. They admitted themselves there is no charge against her. 

45 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Many of us here who have been the beneficiary of American culture of meritocracy and fair reward for hard work often times forget to see the bad side of our culture, the overt, covert, underlying, overlying, hidden, open, supposed racial, material, and technological superiority with borderline sickness among some people of  color (any color). I’ve seen it among many, among many people of various colors, also often seeing those who have been at the receiving end of it for a couple of centuries to be extra negative, seeing everything that’s done here from the lens of this past victimhood. And I don’t blame them for this. I do oppose though the overly aggressive negativity, just Ike any other culture, American culture has its goods and bads.

I oppose anybody who only see good here, just like anybody who only see bad here. Hope you see, you are not in one of the above two categories. 

1 minute ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Of course there is a "reason." That reason may be fear and intimidation, trying to make an example out of her, trying to silence her, etc. It's ridiculously naive of you to think the US only arrests someone for just reasons. They admitted themselves there is no charge against her. 

I don’t think you understand that anyone who has ties like this to the Middle East is viewed as a threat. 

2 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I met Marziyeh. And I have nothing good to say about her since she has turned her back into her own country and tried to indoctrinate in us with her own lies and crap about the US. Anyone who supports wholeheartedly a regime without critical thinking deserves no empathy from me. 

America is my home. My country. And no one can change my mind. I’m a PROUD American, bread and buttered, and I won’t stand for nonsense against my country. If she hates America so much, she should get the hell out, and never come back. 

Good Riddance. 

It’s very hypocritical of her to spend an entire career bashing the US when she chooses to visit. 

Calm down sister. Is your green card stuck in the process somewhere? -:) You sound like coming from some pale skin town of Oklahoma. 

Bring the balance back, I’m sure you realize the extremism of any side is bad. 

30 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Again, I’m not surprised. I met Marziyeh, who visited the international school I was in back in Iran, and all she talked about was how horrible America was and how amazing Iran is. 

America != American government and the power structures. This is very simple-minded thinking, where you defend authority figures because someone threatens their power. It is the work of great activists like MLK, Malcolm X, Ida B. Wells that ensured black folks had rights in this country. Judging by your logic the government had every reason to be suspicious of  those people since they bashed white supremacy in much the same way Marziyeh bashes US foreign policy. I can’t comment on her stance on Iran, but that’s besides the point, because given this logic, all the US govt has to do is call someone else an enemy agent and they can get away with it just because they are critical of their own country, which they should be if they pay taxes to that government. You should look into how the FBI did this repeatedly with MLK during the civil rights movement or how they tried to discredit the work of Ellsberg the guy who leaked the Pentagon papers, which showed the American people that the Vietnam war was futile and that the govt didn’t want them to know this. Were these folks American bashers too? 

I can’t say much about Marzieh herself but this is more about the principle of people’s rights as opposed to the person themselves. If she’s uncritical of Iran, that’s her fault, but that doesn’t change my point anyway. If a white supremacist, Trump supporter tried to spread misinformation, I wouldn’t want them held without trial or due process either. The moment we start denying people their rights based on their views, regardless of how vehemently we disagree with them, then don’t be surprised when the government paints you with the same brush in the future. By definition, governments are structures that you should never trust, this includes every govt on Earth with no exception, including of course, Iran.

Your patriotism seems to be a defense of the US govt. regardless of what it does. Your idea that someone should leave the country because they bash it to me seems like you think people shouldn’t be honest about issues that need improvement and they should just shut up and obey authority? Well if that would’ve happened, the US of A would’ve never been a country to begin with. That’s not patriotism whatsoever, it’s just being a blind nationalist. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

Anyone who supports wholeheartedly a regime without critical thinking deserves no empathy from me

America is my home. My country. And no one can change my mind. I’m a PROUD American, bread and buttered, and I won’t stand for nonsense against my country.

Please reflect on the irony of this statement... Firstly you're supporting the US wholeheartedly without criticism. Secondly, if she considers Iran her country, she is defending her country against the bashing that the US is obsessed with against Iran. Maybe the one you hate is yourself... 

2 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Please reflect on the irony of this statement... Firstly you're supporting the US wholeheartedly without criticism. Secondly, if she considers Iran her country, she is defending her country against the bashing that the US is obsessed with against Iran. Maybe the one you hate is yourself... 

I’m fed up with all the posts about US hate and if I choose to speak out against it, I’m the bad one? 

4 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

about issues that need improvement and they should just shut up and obey authority? Well if that would’ve

Iran has to focus on its own improvement of issues, such as people stealing and paying judges to side with you before trial. 

34 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

They can’t “force” anything like that. That’s absolutely BS. People like Marziyeh who go around on a US-Bashing spree can become one of those crazies on TV, the ones that go shoot and kill people in the name of hate of all things Western. 

You have no right to say that is BS. You are in no position to make that judgement least you are calling her and her entire family of which she told this to liars. Please be careful of how you speak about others, this is not the first time I see you talk this way about others.

Think a little bit and retain your cool and calm.

Edited by IbnSina

27 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

6 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Good Riddance. 

22 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

What eventually was in your heart came out.  

God guides who He wills.   

Alhamd'Allah for the release of Sister Marzieh. God bless her and protect her from all harm.

35 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

You have no right to say that is BS. You are in no position to make that judgement least you are calling her and her entire family of which she told this to liars. Please be careful of how you speak about others, this is not the first time I see you talk this way about others.

Think a little bit and retain your cool and calm.

They strike me as the kind of people who play the “oppression” card. Similarly to a sister on this site who got fired and later said the place that hired her, “conspired against her because she was a Muslim” and that she quit and not because of her skills. 

9 minutes ago, Laayla said:

What eventually was in your heart came out.  

God guides who He wills.   

Alhamd'Allah for the release of Sister Marzieh. God bless her and protect her from all harm.

What was in my heart? Really, I’d like to know. Alhamdulilah Allah has guided me to be a practicing Muslim, unlike some hypocrites. 

EDIT: instead of laughing at my post immaturely, perhaps you should be focusing on yourself and ask Allah to guide you. Ameen. Since Allah guides who He wills. 

And Allah doesn’t like the arrogant ones.