Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
shia_100

Why is it haram to go to the beach

Rate this topic

I isn't haram to go to the beach. 

It is haram for males to intentionally go where there are nearly naked women or for females to go where there are nearly naked men. A private beach or a beach where people have clothes on is fine, or men can go to an all male beach and women can go to an all female beach. 

I grew up on European beaches and saw topless women regularly, but I never thought of it as a lustful thing. It was just a summer beach etiquette. I think it depends on people's perception. A person from a country where the burka is common will more than likely have haram thoughts. So I think it is a good precaution to prevent going to such a beach but not for somebody like me,

35 minutes ago, notme said:

I isn't haram to go to the beach. 

It is haram for males to intentionally go where there are nearly naked women or for females to go where there are nearly naked men. A private beach or a beach where people have clothes on is fine, or men can go to an all male beach and women can go to an all female beach. 

Yes but tell me where do you find a beach where Women don’t dress inappropriately during the day in the West 

6 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

A person from a country where the burka is common will more than likely have haram thoughts. So I think it is a good precaution to prevent going to such a beach but not for somebody like me,

Salam what is haram is haram for everyone & what is Halal is Halal for everyone but because you grow up in this environment , it doesn't make Halal for you but you are like a person that receives vaccine but it doesn't mean that you can go  to a polluted area if men & women can be separated so that they can't see each other it has no problem or all people in beach came for family gathering without removing Hijab for women & men don't become naked that they be there to join from nature it's allowed but there isn't any rulling about going to beach but from my exprience in Iran that observes Islamic ruling there i say it.

3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam what is haram is haram for everyone & what is Halal is Halal for everyone but because you grow up in this environment , it doesn't make Halal for you but you are like a person that receives vaccine but it doesn't mean that you can go  to a polluted area if men & women can be separated so that they can't see each other it has no problem or all people in beach came for family gathering without removing Hijab for women & men don't become naked that they be there to join from nature it's allowed but there isn't any rulling about going to beach but from my exprience in Iran that observes Islamic ruling there i say it.

Thats right there is no ruling and is not mentioned directly in tbe Qur'an so its not a major sin to avoid definetly, i see it like makrooh. There is a good reason why its not allowed in Iran and i respect that but its also understandable why its allowed in Europe because they don't think that way because its not a shock. 

17 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

I grew up on European beaches and saw topless women regularly, but I never thought of it as a lustful thing. It was just a summer beach etiquette. I think it depends on people's perception. A person from a country where the burka is common will more than likely have haram thoughts. So I think it is a good precaution to prevent going to such a beach but not for somebody like me,

Please consult the doctor 

19 hours ago, shia_100 said:

Yes but tell me where do you find a beach where Women don’t dress inappropriately during the day in the West 

Nowhere. That means don't go. Why put yourself in a situation you know will make you think of haram? It's not only about lowering your gaze, it's also about keeping yourself away from haram. It's not the end of the world if people don't go to the beach.

19 hours ago, shia_100 said:

Maybe go to a beach that isn't crowded?

I have a habit of finding places where or when nobody else is there. I really like the beach at Chincoteague Island. Myrtle Beach State Park was really nice that one time I went with friends while a hurricane passed safely far offshore. I found a local freshwater (or maybe brackish?) beach that nobody ever uses. It's got signage, it's open to the public, but there is never anyone there. 

19 minutes ago, notme said:

Maybe go to a beach that isn't crowded?

I have a habit of finding places where or when nobody else is there. I really like the beach at Chincoteague Island. Myrtle Beach State Park was really nice that one time I went with friends while a hurricane passed safely far offshore. I found a local freshwater (or maybe brackish?) beach that nobody ever uses. It's got signage, it's open to the public, but there is never anyone there. 

Another option is to go to beaches during winter when it is deserted

1 hour ago, 2Timeless said:

Nowhere. That means don't go. Why put yourself in a situation you know will make you think of haram? It's not only about lowering your gaze, it's also about keeping yourself away from haram. It's not the end of the world if people don't go to the beach.

I don’t know how going to the beach would make me think of haram. 

8 minutes ago, 2Timeless said:

You would be seeing women wearing tiny scraps of clothing. How would that not make a man think of haram? 

I’m used to that as i’ve Lived in the west all my life, a woman could walk by half naked and I wouldn’t even look

1 minute ago, shia_100 said:

I’m used to that as i’ve Lived in the west all my life, a woman could walk by half naked and I wouldn’t even look

Well, I guess whatever floats your boat. I was born and raised in the west too. I've been to beaches a couple of times and hated it. The number of naked people just made me uncomfortable and it's always so boiling. Others have made good suggestions about going at night or when it's windy or cold. I think that's the better option, and it isn't much fun boiling in the sun.

Yes, we won’t look. But the environment that we place ourselves does have some importance. There are so many nice places that we can spend time with our family and have a nice time without the environment that a beach would have on a scorching day in the summer. 

13 hours ago, shia_100 said:

I’m used to that as I’ve Lived in the west all my life, a woman could walk by half naked and I wouldn’t even look

Same here. It depends on people's percepruon. I grew up on European beaches too. Its part of who I am, my psychology and my personality are made of my childhoid memories on the beach. Even if they were topless women haram thoughts did not enter me because it was a normal every thing, a summer dress etiquette. 

13 hours ago, 2Timeless said:

Well, I guess whatever floats your boat. I was born and raised in the west too. I've been to beaches a couple of times and hated it. The number of naked people just made me uncomfortable and it's always so boiling. 

Just living in the west does not make a difference. Many people live in the west for avery long time and cannot even lose their original accent. Just look at south Asian Muslim communities in the west they stick to their old traditions and do not inregrate well. In the United Kingdom for example I cannot tell the difference between a Pakistani or a Bangladeshi person in the United Kingdom and Bangladesh or Pakistan. 

The issue of beaches anf half naked women reminds me of a hadith that mentions the time when the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) held or shook the hand of a woman because it was part of a business deal or something. In the same light my opinion is that it depends on your intentions. I  think of it as makrooh. 

It's really fascinating how sure we are of ourselves, when we say things like "we don't have haram thoughts when perceiving undressed women", "I can control my thoughts", etc.

While that may be true, that's just what you're conscious of. Have you ever thought how your subconscious and psyche might be affected? Do humans not have animalistic instincts, and such behaviours feed those instincts although we should be discarding such instincts? Why is it we give no consideration to the subconscious or deep conscious, as if only our conscious affects our state of mind, state of purity, and actions that we take (or are more likely/less likely to take)?

We shouldn't be so arrogant to come to the conclusion "If I simply don't think or react in a certain way, I'm not affected, therefore it is not haram for me". That's totally foolish and we should understand our limitations, and that there is much we are unaware of, and that certainly Allah knows best the human being.

There is a reason (or many reasons rather) why the Prophet (pbuhf) said "Lower your gaze and you will see wonders". I don't fully understand many of those reasons, but I have begun to understand a bit relatively recently.

On Tue Jan 15 2019 at 10:52 PM, shia_100 said:

Why would it be haram to go to the beach with your family? According to the general rule it is haram.

Islam does not prohibit you. You can go beach, mountains, grass land, jungles etc what ever terrain you want to the bottom of the ocean or the surface of the moon. Who ever told you it's haram is misleading you.

22 hours ago, Warilla said:

Islam does not prohibit you. You can go beach, mountains, grass land, jungles etc what ever terrain you want to the bottom of the ocean or the surface of the moon. Who ever told you it's haram is misleading you.

You are right but I believe what is meant is about / has to do with the following:

Question: What’s the ruling for men attending mixed places such as swimming pools and gyms, where women are usually indecently dressed?
Also what’s the ruling supposing that there is no lustful indecent look from the man.

Answer: Attending mixed swimming pools is not permissible, and also places that men and women are indecently dressed (semi nude) if it results in a sin (Haram), also in accordance to obligatory precaution they should be avoided even if does not result in a sin (Haram).

An for example:

(And even:
 Question: Is it permissible to go to sea beaches and public parks during sunny days for walking while one might come across scenes which are against the norm of decency?
Answer: Without a guarantee that one will not commit a forbidden act, it is not permissible.
  https://www.Sistani.org/english/book/46/2057/ )

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

So it can be Haram to go to beaches etc. in the West and elsewhere.

On 1/29/2019 at 6:55 PM, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

If one really wants to know why they should follow the right "way"/... the jurists "followed" before they got this conclusion.

I have to say; I said this as if the question was why is it haram to go to western beaches or something similar.

In general, it would not be problematic, even good perhaps. But see the previous answer with Fatwas regarding going to mixed pools, gyms, etc. 

18 minutes ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

I have to say; I said this as if the question was why is it haram to go to western beaches or something similar.

In general, it would not be problematic, even good perhaps. But see the previous answer with Fatwas regarding going to mixed pools, gyms, etc. 

Yes as I was saying all along it depends on each persons personality, culture and upbringing but as a general consensus it is a accurate ruling by Sistani 

Edited by Murtaza1