Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Alifba

I did not perform prayers regularly for years, how can I make up with Him?

Rate this topic

From the time I reached bulugh/baligh, I did not pray regularly for approximately 5 years. I didn't totally leave it; but sometimes I just skipped it and ignored. I don't know how many exactly. 

But then when I realized that prayer/shalat is obligatory and is very very important, then I have been never ever left obligatory prayer again even if it us just a single time.

I really want to make up the prayers that I left; but I don't know exactly how many prayers should I perform. Should I just do 5 years prayers? Also if there were that many of rakaahs I would feel that performing the qadhas is a big burden to me; while I am still struggling in always performing current obligatory prayers and trying to never leave them ever again.

There is always a fight in myself, I know that death can just come without any warning; but I still haven't done my qadha prayers. If I really fear God; does it implicate that I just do my 5 years prayers in all time I have and leave all other things? That is, just do those 5-years qadha prayers all day long everyday? I mean, there are so many other obligations in daily life, though it is not ritual, e.g. being mother/father, being a student, etc. 

From other traditions, it was said that I we make up our relationship with God then He will do the rest for us. Can I just leave worldly affairs and let God take care of them; and I just do my qadha prayers?

Please help and guide me. Thank you in advance, beloved brothers and sisters

Salam I think you should try to do 2 prayer per day. Now I always think that it is a blessing for a person do their obligatory acts of worship from the time of bulgugh/baligh  and do all the obligatory religious duties like hijab etc and not do the haram like music etc because most people regret later in life for missing Salat and fasting etc. 

Edited by learn

5 hours ago, Alifba said:

From the time I reached bulugh/baligh, I did not pray regularly for approximately 5 years. I didn't totally leave it; but sometimes I just skipped it and ignored. I don't know how many exactly. 

But then when I realized that prayer/shalat is obligatory and is very very important, then I have been never ever left obligatory prayer again even if it us just a single time.

I really want to make up the prayers that I left; but I don't know exactly how many prayers should I perform. Should I just do 5 years prayers? Also if there were that many of rakaahs I would feel that performing the qadhas is a big burden to me; while I am still struggling in always performing current obligatory prayers and trying to never leave them ever again.

There is always a fight in myself, I know that death can just come without any warning; but I still haven't done my qadha prayers. If I really fear God; does it implicate that I just do my 5 years prayers in all time I have and leave all other things? That is, just do those 5-years qadha prayers all day long everyday? I mean, there are so many other obligations in daily life, though it is not ritual, e.g. being mother/father, being a student, etc. 

From other traditions, it was said that I we make up our relationship with God then He will do the rest for us. Can I just leave worldly affairs and let God take care of them; and I just do my qadha prayers?

Please help and guide me. Thank you in advance, beloved brothers and sisters

If it is roughly 5 years then do the 5 year of Qadha. It takes 10min to do 1 day of Qadha if you follow the instruction to not do mustahab parts. 

@Alifba i am redoing 30 years of qadr prayers. Last ten years were because i did not do my wudu and salam properly in my prayers.

I perform each qadr prayer usually at the same time during the day. I find it most easily done early morning after fajr otherwise in the afternoon after or before zuhr and asr.

If i am busy with work i may divide each qadr prayer with each obligatory prayer. This works well especially if i finish work late at night and am tired. 

On 1/12/2019 at 11:01 AM, Abu Nur said:

If it is roughly 5 years then do the 5 year of Qadha. It takes 10min to do 1 day of Qadha if you follow the instruction to not do mustahab parts. 

I think i need to learn this way of qadr as it currently takes me about 20 mins to do all five qadr prayers 

34 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

I think i need to learn this way of qadr as it currently takes me about 20 mins to do all five qadr prayers 

Sorry for my ignorance what does Qadr prayer mean?

2 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

@Alifba i am redoing 30 years of qadr prayers. Last ten years were because i did not do my wudu and salam properly in my prayers.

I perform each qadr prayer usually at the same time during the day. I find it most easily done early morning after fajr otherwise in the afternoon after or before zuhr and asr.

If i am busy with work i may divide each qadr prayer with each obligatory prayer. This works well especially if i finish work late at night and am tired. 

Ummm i don’t think you have to repeat your prayers if you didn’t know that your wudoo and salam was wrong,as per my knowledge you just have to stop doing them wrong once you know

8 hours ago, learn said:

Sorry for my ignorance what does Qadr prayer mean?

Qadr prayers are the obligatory prayers that a person did not perform. 

6 hours ago, Natsu said:

Ummm i don’t think you have to repeat your prayers if you didn’t know that your wudoo and salam was wrong,as per my knowledge you just have to stop doing them wrong once you know

That is good to know but according to Ayatollah Sistani I have to do them again. I wrote to his office. Here are screenshots of my question and their answer

_20190114_021855.thumb.JPG.fada24a0b299b76224327385d079db90.JPG 

_20190114_021826.JPG

Edited by Murtaza1

9 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

The First Rak'a:

1. Start the Qad'ah witht the intention and then say Allahu A'kbar
2. Then recite the 2 suras, Fatiha and Ikhlas (or shorter one like kauther)
4. In the Ruku say either once: "Subhana Rabbiyal Adhimi wa bi hamdih" or three times "Subhanallah"
5. Then In Sajdah say once “Subhana Rabbiyal 'A'la wa bi hamdhi”  or “Subahanallah” three times
(That is the first Raka)

In Second Rak'a:

1. Recite the 2 suras, Fatiha and Ikhlas (or shorter one like kauther)
2. Now the Qunut (where you raise your hands up and do dua) is mustahab and you don't need to do it. Also it is sufficient if you just say Subhanallah once.
3. In the Ruku say either once: "Subhana Rabbiyal Adhimi wa bi hamdih" or three times "Subhanallah"
4 Then In Sajdah say once “Subhana Rabbiyal 'A'la wa bi hamdhi”  or “Subahanallah” three times

If the salat is fajar, you just end it with Tashahhud “Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lahu wahdahu la sharika lah, wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan 'Abduhu wa Rasuluh, Alla humma salli 'ala Muhammadin wa Ali Muhammad” and after it just say "Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh". Thats done.

But if the salat is not fajar, you need to do the third or fourth rakat's

In Third Rak'a:
1. After Tashahhud, Do once Tasbeeh “Subhanallahi wal hamdu lillahi wa la ilaha illal lahu wallahu Akbar"
2. In the Ruku say either once: "Subhana Rabbiyal Adhimi wa bi hamdih" or three times "Subhanallah"
3. Then In Sajdah say once “Subhana Rabbiyal 'A'la wa bi hamdhi”  or “Subahanallah” three times
4. If the salat is Magrib, then end it Tashahhud and Salam, else:

In Fourth Rak'a:
1. Go up and Do once Tasbeeh “Subhanallahi wal hamdu lillahi wa la ilaha illal lahu wallahu Akbar"
2. In the Ruku say either once: "Subhana Rabbiyal Adhimi wa bi hamdih" or three times "Subhanallah"
3. Then In Sajdah say once “Subhana Rabbiyal 'A'la wa bi hamdhi”  or “Subahanallah” three times
4. Finish it with Tashahhud and Salam.

Edited by Abu Nur

5 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

I think 10 minutes is a bit underestimated

It is just the amount of time (around 10 min or bit more) if you want to leave mustahabs parts. The intention and doing it is more important.

Edited by Abu Nur

7 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

It is not. It is just the amount of time (or around 10 min) if you want to leave mustahabs parts. The intention and doing it is more important.

Jazakalah I perform my qadr prayers exactly as you describe it Alhamdullilah. So which parts are mustahab which we can leave out? 

Just now, Murtaza1 said:

Jazakalah I perform my qadr prayers exactly as you describe it Alhamdullilah. So which parts are mustahab which we can leave out? 

Then that is the shorted version brother. You can see it here:

The normal prayer with some Mustahabat is: 
1- Athan
2- Iqamah
3- Intention
4- Takbiratul Ehram 
5- Qiraat + Mustahabat + Qunut
6- Tasbeeh + Mustahabat (In the third and fourth Rak'ats)
7- Ruku + Mustahabat
8- Sujood + Mustahabat
9- Tashahhud + Mustahabat
10- Salaam + Mustahabat

While The simple prayer without Mustahabat is: 
1- Intention
2- Takbiratul Ehram “Allahu Akbar” once
3- Qiraat “sorat Al-Fatiha + short Sura such as Al-Kawthar”
4- Qunut “Subhanallah” is sufficient
5- Tasbeeh (In the third and fourth Rak'ats) “Subhanallahi wal hamdu lillahi wa la ilaha illal lahu wallahu Akbar” once is sufficient
6- Ruku “Subhana Rabbiyal Adhimi wa bi hamdih” once or “Subhanallah” three times 
7- Sujood “Subhana Rabbiyal 'A'la wa bi hamdhi” once or “Subahanallah” three times
8- Tashahhud “Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lahu wahdahu la sharika lah, wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan 'Abduhu wa Rasuluh, Alla humma salli 'ala Muhammadin wa Ali Muhammad”
9- Salaam “Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh” is sufficient

Reciting Takbir before going to Sajdah and after having stood up from Ruku ..etc is recommended and not obligatory. Therefore if you perform the prayer in that way then it is sufficient