Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Help me choose a new smartphone

notme

• Moderators

Salam

I really like my four year old Droid turbo, but it's starting to show its age. (They build it in to fail, you know.) Which phone should I replace it with?

Here's what I look for in a phone:

Durability - I drop my phone multiple times per day. Obviously I have a case, but it still can't be fragile.

Good camera - I'm a mom. I require excellent photos of my beautiful and brilliant children doing extraordinary things. 

Lots of storage - mostly for photos and videos, because I don't remove things to backup nearly often enough. 

Super long battery life - because who has time to charge gadgets!

And I'm a cheapskate, so nothing expensive - that includes no Apple products, obviously. 

Most of what I do in my phone is use the Google maps, web browsing, Twitter, email, talk, and text. I don't play games or watch videos much. I do have a few apps that I like but rarely use. I don't need super processor power. 

Anyone got a favorite or a suggestion? Please provide reasons. :)

-----

Alternately, does anyone know how to restore my phone's failing battery life? I've overslept several times due to my alarm not going off because the battery was totally dead in the morning, in spite of being 80% the evening before and only on standby at night. Keeping my same phone would actually be my preference.

• Advanced Member

Alaikas Salaam, 

27 minutes ago, notme said:

Alternately, does anyone know how to restore my phone's failing battery life? I've overslept several times due to my alarm not going off because the battery was totally dead in the morning, in spite of being 80% the evening before and only on standby at night. Keeping my same phone would actually be my preference.

1. You can try replacing the battery if it's available. Although, I'm sure it won't keep up for long like before due to phone's ageing effect.
  2. Another thing you can try is calibrating your battery using an app from playstore and following the calibrating process as mentioned in the app.
  3. I would also recommend you to look for battery hogging apps that continously runs in background and take out all the battery juice. You can get that from settings or using any 3rd party app.
29 minutes ago, notme said:

Anyone got a favorite or a suggestion? Please provide reasons. :)

Pixel 3XL would be the best phone. It has got the best camera and specs.

If you want something light on your pocket but still good in all departments, go for Oneplus 6T.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

What's your budget? You don't want something expensive, but you do still have to give a dollar amount in order for us to make suggestions because phones range from $50 to $1500 these days.

If I were buying it for myself, I'd limit my options to $200 or less if I expect it to last about 4 years. But the last phone my husband bought for me was just under $600. He's the one who mentioned getting a new phone, so I guess he's offering me one if I want it. He's much less a cheapskate than I am but I didn't discuss a budget with him yet. I'm going to research prolonging the life of my current phone first, but it would be nice to have some suggestions of replacement phones too, for comparison. 

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, notme said:

Would you want options from Androids only or iPhones too?

Few points for iPhone:-

1. I am an iPhone User and onething I can guarantee you on is its battery even after years of usage also it will not be bad. Very decent battery timing.

2. Charginf jacks never break.

3. No worries of it getting stuck also.

4. Good detailed cameras.

This point is positive and negative too. hehe.

5. Once you get used to an iPhone you will get stuck with it and you will not purchase an android as your primary phone irrespective of it being even Samsung Galaxy's latest device.

And trust me the only revolutionary iPhone device is iPhone 6, till date it is a better option and is very cheap also now.

In regards to your battery issue, try changing your battery.

1. Close 'sync' option from drop down menu.

3. Screen brightness set to automatic.

3. Don't let google automatically collect data and send it to themselves.

4. Stop location services.

And very importantly keep your 'data' either 3g or 4g to off while you are not using it.

Edited by Hameedeh
Long quote removed.

• Moderators
On 1/8/2019 at 12:06 PM, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

Once you get used to an iPhone you will get stuck with it and you will not purchase an android as your primary phone irrespective of it being even Samsung Galaxy's latest device.

Android only. I used to have an iPhone. There's nothing terrible about them, but nothing about them is worth the outrageous cost. Besides, I'd prefer to continue using the apps I'm already used to having. 

But thanks for the rest of your suggestions. I appreciate them. 

• Advanced Member
On 1/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, notme said:

Android only. I used to have an iPhone. There's nothing terrible about them, but nothing about them is worth the outrageous cost. Besides, I'd prefer to continue using the apps I'm already used to having. 

But thanks for the rest of your suggestions. I appreciate them. 

Which apps like the internal apps?

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Pixel 3XL would be the best phone. It has got the best camera and specs.

Wow, this is a nice phone! But it costs almost as much as my first car did! 

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

https://www.oneplus.com/oneplus-6t

I can't recommend a better phone for the price. It's available in US from this iteration. 

That really is nice, and the price is feasible. Bonus that it has a night photography mode: every time I've attempted to take pictures at night, I've been disappointed. My moon photos are some of the worst that I've ever seen. 

• Veteran Member

• Advanced Member

۱۰ گ�ش� برتر �ا� بر اساس ب���ارک AnTuTu اع�ا� شد +تصا��ر /////

in following link it mentions OnePlus 6T my mother has a Zenfone that works fine

https://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/best-cheap-smartphones-payg-mobiles-compared-1314718

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

• Veteran Member
15 hours ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

Huawei and Xiaomi phones are pretty good, but they'll be hard for notme to get since she's in the US and both companies don't have a big presence there.

According to Americans and their friends Xi would listen to all her convos if she bought a Huawei phone. So beware @notme

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Marbles said:

According to Americans and their friends Xi would listen to all her convos if she bought a Huawei phone. So beware @notme

The NSA is listening anyway. I suppose I have nothing to hide from China either. Probably I have more to fear from the US than from others. If they start up another Red Scare, I'm finished no matter which phone I choose. 

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, haideriam said:

Had to scroll a bit to find the brand name. I'd not heard of it.

81295378_Screenshot2019-01-13at16_51_40.png.3a8e5f32cc8f0709a6fa7d4164e1398c.png

Edited by Haji 2003

• 3 months later...
  • Forum Administrators
21 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

already considered ancient

There are two types of ancient.

The first is when something no longer does what you need it to, the second is when it no longer does what other people think it should.

I replaced my iphone 4 last year and bought a used iphone 6. I paid £269 (U$350) for a 128gb model. Still working fine. I replaced it because the iphone4 was no longer updating the OS and apps like whatsapp were no longer working.

To be honest I probably delayed the upgrade longer than I should have done. Replying to work-related outlook messages is so much easier and I can make better use of dead time in the barber's etc.

But the overall point remains, which is to upgrade when you need to and not when the phone company's product replacement cycle suggests you should.

• Veteran Member
13 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

But the overall point remains, which is to upgrade when you need to and not when the phone company's product replacement cycle suggests you should.

True. I had a Samsung Note 4, for the longest time. I since upgraded (well my old man gave me his old phone) to a Samsung S7 Edge.

Never had an iPhone nor do I intend to. Hate the user interface of their phones and laptops. Not a fan. Yeah I said it.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

• Moderators

Typing this from Samsung note 3 that I bought used four years ago!

I hate changing phones.Not only getting a new phone just because they introduced a new version in the market a total waste a money I feel getting the new phone running(downloading all the apps,transferring the books and documents and other data saved on the phone)a total headache.I bought a S7 a couple of years ago as a second phone and it took me quite some time to 'warm up' to it.lolZ

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

I tend to upgrade when my old phone is dead or dying. I don't use my phone for work, just for leisure, so I don't need much, but I appreciate a good camera. 

My favorite phone of all that I've ever owned was more camera than phone. By modern standards it would be terrible, but it took incredible photos back in it's day. I only eventually upgraded because it wouldn't charge. 

Come to think of it, most of my upgrades have been related to inability to charge or inability to hold a charge. Maybe I'm doing something to cause that....

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
On 1/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, notme said:

I've overslept several times due to my alarm not going off because the battery was totally dead in the morning, in spite of being 80% the evening before and only on standby at night. 

Salam. After using my phone all day long, it gets down to 5 or 10% battery and I plug in the charger while sleeping to make sure my phone is not dead and the wake up alarm is working.  

• Moderators
7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l have trouble with my push-button phone. The rotary dial is the one l Iike.

yeah, I love how slow paced life in those days, just like the rotary phone. Current times unnerve me.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

@notme , @starlight et alia

l did some reading on old phones. 0ne thing l read said that there are still rotary phones being used.

Thank you, but I don't use landline anymore and I don't think they would work as mobile phones. :cry: