Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Not ok to think about God?

Rate this topic

53 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

Aren't we supposed to get to know God? Can someone clarify this?

"Man a'arafa nafsah faqad a'arafah rabbah" 

We have been told to know God through ourselves & through His creation. 

• Advanced Member

السَّلآمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ الله وبَرَكآتُه 

Respected brother/sister @Carlzone

Hope you are fine إِنْ شَاء َ اللَّه 

Understanding Allah to our limited mind is fine there is no problem in it but you see our minds are prone to the waswaas of Shaytan.

By understanding our nafs and by understanding bits of Prophet Mohammad(saww) O Aal(asws) e Prophet Mohammad(saww) we can gain 'maarfah' of Allah but to get to know our LORD completely is impossible as because we are limited and Allah is unlimited.

I would highly advice you to read Quran and see the narrations by Moula Ali(asws) in understanding Allah.

See below two breath taking videos. Imam Ali(asws) describing Allah's attributes.

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Salam aleykom, 

I imagine that I have heard that one should not think too much about God because that can leaf to kufr for some reason. Is that true? Aren't we supposed to get to know God? Can someone clarify this?

https://www.al-islam.org/forty-hadith-an-exposition-second-edition-imam-khomeini/twelfth-hadith-contemplation-tafakkur#desirable-and-forbidden-contemplation-divine-essence

• Advanced Member

Getting to know God through introspection i know. 

Also through his creatures or outer signs.

But sometimes you come across texts that describe God. And that can make you curious to read more about God. Is that ok or not ok? Or is it a risk and dangerous? 

1 hour ago, Carlzone said:

Getting to know God through introspection i know. 

Also through his creatures or outer signs.

But sometimes you come across texts that describe God. And that can make you curious to read more about God. Is that ok or not ok? Or is it a risk and dangerous? 

Here’s a video that goes deeper with God’d Nature by imam Ali a.s 

• Advanced Member

Thinking of things that may fall in HOW and WHEN of God make people fall in confusion and too much of it, may be into bewilderment because as is said in Ayat ul Kursi, it’s beyond our capability of understanding.

There is a whole sub-chapter in the Book of Tawheed on the questions that are futile because they go nowhere.

• Advanced Member
13 minutes ago, AMR5 said:

Thinking of things that may fall in HOW and WHEN of God make people fall in confusion and too much of it, may be into bewilderment because as is said in Ayat ul Kursi, it’s beyond our capability of understanding.

There is a whole sub-chapter in the Book of Tawheed on the questions that are futile because they go nowhere.

I don't have "when" questions. But I do want to know more about God. 

I imagine I have read a hadith that states something along the lines of God being a treasure waiting to be discovered? 

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Salam aleykom, 

I imagine that I have heard that one should not think too much about God because that can leaf to kufr for some reason. Is that true? Aren't we supposed to get to know God? Can someone clarify this?

Salam...

To think about the Essence of God...NO.  God is beyond comprehension of the mind.

To reflect on Attributes of God..Yes

We suppose to know God through understanding of His Attributes / Names.

To speed up the understanding of Attributes of God is to be closed to Prophet and Ahlulbayt. 

Edited by layman
  • Unregistered

Aren't we supposed to get to know God? 

بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ {1}

[Pickthal 1:1] In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ {2}

[Pickthal 1:2] Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,

الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ {3}

[Pickthal 1:3] The Beneficent, the Merciful.

مَالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ {4}

[Pickthal 1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment,

• Advanced Member
On 1/8/2019 at 9:05 AM, Carlzone said:

I don't have "when" questions. But I do want to know more about God. 

I imagine I have read a hadith that states something along the lines of God being a treasure waiting to be discovered? 

I found the section on the “Oneness of God” in the Usool al Kafi to be sufficiently superb for all questions regarding God. Read through Chapters 1-34.

Like you are doing, we all need to question Why  God? and Who God? on our own. Then for What God? we need to go to our Prophet (sawaw) and Imams (as). 

Here’s the link to the Usool al Kafi which answers What God? portion of this inquisition exercise.

https://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Al-Kafi.pdf

Obviously How God? and When God? are futile questions for which we are told to do it at the expense of our sanity (or basically don’t do it).

JazakAllah Kher.

• Advanced Member
40 minutes ago, AMR5 said:

I found the section on the “Oneness of God” in the Usool al Kafi to be sufficiently superb for all questions regarding God. Read through Chapters 1-34.

Like you are doing, we all need to question Why  God? and Who God? on our own. Then for What God? we need to go to our Prophet (sawaw) and Imams (as). 

Here’s the link to the Usool al Kafi which answers What God? portion of this inquisition exercise.

https://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Al-Kafi.pdf

Obviously How God? and When God? are futile questions for which we are told to do it at the expense of our sanity (or basically don’t do it).

JazakAllah Kher.

Oh thank you very much! That's super!   :clap: