yusuf44a

how to choose an islamic name for a revert

Rate this topic

My legal first name is un-islamic. when i have the money im going to change it legally. do you have any advise about how to choose a new name. Also i know it's not required but i want to change my sir name and middle name witch aren't un-islamic because just wan't to. i'm also trying to decide on weather to use the anglocized (english pronunciation) or arabic version of names to reduce discrimination, like choosing Joseph over Yusuf or Jacob over Yukob or Moses over Musa

14 minutes ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Salaam.

You should choose a name you like and also something that your extended family wouldn't have a problem pronouncing.

Adam

Ibrahim

Daniyal

salam how do i choose a sir name maybe one of the 99 names of god?

33 minutes ago, yusuf44a said:

salam how do i choose a sir name maybe one of the 99 names of god?

Surnames are generally descriptive of your origin or career or lifestyle. For example, Baker is a family name that indicates that a founding ancestor ran a bakery. A last name of Scott would be descended from Scotsmen. Keeping with that, you could choose a descriptor, maybe one you are proud of, and use that. 

I recommend keeping your surname, as it is an indication of your lineage and family, which is good to acknowledge. 

You can choose whichever first name you want, so long that the meaning is good. The best names are Muhammad, the Abd names, the names of the prophets, and the names of the Ahlulbayt. I personally think the names Zakaria, Ayyub, Yusuf, Yunus, Musa, Idris, Sulayman, Abdullah, Ali, Zayd, and Hamza work pretty well in English.

If I have a son, I’d like to name him Muhammad Ali.

13 hours ago, BowTie said:

Many Muslims hold neutral or non-Muslim names. I dont understand why converts or reverts change their names when they become Muslim.

Your name identifies who you are not your faith. And because of who you are, you became a Muslim. 

my legal first name is a specifically christian name that is considered un-islamic, my understanding is that it's necessary to change it in my circumstance. 

18 hours ago, BowTie said:

Many Muslims hold neutral or non-Muslim names. I dont understand why converts or reverts change their names when they become Muslim.

Your name identifies who you are not your faith. And because of who you are, you became a Muslim. 

I agree, as a convert myself. If someone feels they are called to change their name like that, then all the best to them but I see no use, well legally. Of course, I do use pseudonyms on the internet and with my art but it's sort of a different area of 'name' though. 

4 hours ago, yusuf44a said:

my legal first name is a specifically christian name that is considered un-islamic, my understanding is that it's necessary to change it in my circumstance. 

Interesting. So your name is a "new testament" name right? (which would probably be Greek, if I remember correctly)

Any adult Muslim can change their name if they want to, but it's only required if your name has a bad meaning. For example, a convert named Dionysus (the Greek god of wine) should probably change his name. One named Peter (meaning rock, stability) doesn't have to.

Changing surname is probably discouraged because it might be seen as denial of or even breaking ties with your family, which is haram. I assume the same rules apply though - as long as your intention isn't to use a name change to separate from your family, it's allowed but not required. 

5 hours ago, yusuf44a said:

Salam as i kknow most of coverts change their first name based on events that happened to them & compare it with islamic stories but majority of them choose popular Sunni  names & rarely choose names of Ahlulbayt (as) like as MAhdi or Ali or Hussain only a few change their names from popular Sunni Names to popular Shia names IMHO i recommend you to choose name of one of Ahlulbay (as) btw at the end it's your choice

12 hours ago, yusuf44a said:

I dont suppose your name is Trinity.

You’re only changing your faith, not your identity.

Listen changing your name will make future clashes within yourself and people around you.

First, within yourself, a new name will make you feel unconciously that its new identity, new character, new person. With time, you will clash with yourself if you felt doing something your old self did, or you would feel you might your old self.

Second, for peopld around you - friends and family, will see this as if you are changing your identity not your faith. They will connect your new religion with identity, and no one will be interested with learning more about Islam. And theyre right, who is interested in changing their identity?

Salam:

Even if it’s a very Christian name, as long as it’s not something related to paganism, it should be fine. For the last name, you get it from your father and no change in religion could change it.

I believe you are fine.

The question I’ve always wondered about the male reverts is regarding circumcision? Do you have to have it or is it optional according to the Shi’a fiqh? 

12 hours ago, notme said:

Any adult Muslim can change their name if they want to, but it's only required if your name has a bad meaning. For example, a convert named Dionysus (the Greek god of wine) should probably change his name. One named Peter (meaning rock, stability) doesn't have to.

Changing surname is probably discouraged because it might be seen as denial of or even breaking ties with your family, which is haram. I assume the same rules apply though - as long as your intention isn't to use a name change to separate from your family, it's allowed but not required. 

And I will continue this part by saying that if you are keeping your surname as it is then ensure that if you put a name of Allah's attribute then add 'Abdul' before it. 

Like for example

If your current name is

John Smith

and you change it to

Basit(Allah's attribute) Smith

then it will be wrong because your name will be meaningless and instead you should make it to be

AbdulBasit Smith

meaning

Slave of Basit Smith.

Remember before taking Allah's attribute as your name you should add 'Abdul' with it which means 'slave'.

Like Abdullah (Slave of Allah).

Abdus Samad (Slave or Samad).

In short your name must have a meaning, name matters a lot and name makes a good part of your personality.

When Islam was being spread and once those who were disbelievers were becoming Muslims, Prophet(saww) was suggesting them to change their names to good names especially those who had bad names.

Like for example, a man's name was Abdus Shams (Slave of Sun) which is a haraam name as we are all slaves of Allah and he was probably worshipping sun so when he converted to Islam and became a muslim, Prophet(saww) suggested him to change his name from Abdus Shams to Abdullah.

So ensure your name has a proper meaning, If you are going to keep name based on the names of Aal(asws) e Mohammad(saww) that is Ahlul Bayt(asws) then be very careful, their(asws) every name has a personality order attached to it and name has a very important role in making up your personality.

Edited by Asghar Ali Karbalai

1 hour ago, Irfani313 said:

The question I’ve always wondered about the male reverts is regarding circumcision? Do you have to have it or is it optional according to the Shi’a fiqh

Replies to this question were split into a new topic here: 

Thanks for your participation.

15 hours ago, BowTie said:

I dont suppose your name is Trinity.

You’re only changing your faith, not your identity.

Listen changing your name will make future clashes within yourself and people around you.

First, within yourself, a new name will make you feel unconciously that its new identity, new character, new person. With time, you will clash with yourself if you felt doing something your old self did, or you would feel you might your old self.

Second, for peopld around you - friends and family, will see this as if you are changing your identity not your faith. They will connect your new religion with identity, and no one will be interested with learning more about Islam. And theyre right, who is interested in changing their identity?

a part of my identity is that i'm a muslim revert, this part of my identity is large and new. I would like name to indicate who i am better than my current one. but i do understand what your getting at when you say it will cause clashes. My family is understanding when comes to changing my name clashes with my self are more likely. I feel that your identity changes at least a little when you accept a new faith even when just changing denominations. I'd like my name to indicate that change.