Aabiss_Shakari

1st Palestinian woman in Congress calls for impeaching "Trump"

Rate this topic

There's a time and place for something like that to be brought up by a freshman Congresswoman. To bring that up on her first day in Congress is amateurish. She needs to build a coalition or join one that has the same agenda.

A clever person would've waited or done it behind the scenes.

7 minutes ago, Akbar673 said:

There's a time and place for something like that to be brought up by a freshman Congresswoman. To bring that up on her first day in Congress is amateurish. She needs to build a coalition or join one that has the same agenda.

A clever person would've waited or done it behind the scenes.

Poor choice of words too. Not impressed.

17 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

Poor choice of words too. Not impressed.

It also shows that she has no idea how the impeachment process works. There's no way the Senate would approve an impeachment.

To be honest, for her to say that set the Muslim political presence back a few steps. Hopefully, this gets brushed under the rug and we can best remember her for her political success instead of this.

26 minutes ago, Akbar673 said:

It also shows that she has no idea how the impeachment process works. There's no way the Senate would approve an impeachment.

To be honest, for her to say that set the Muslim political presence back a few steps. Hopefully, this gets brushed under the rug and we can best remember her for her political success instead of this.

I disagree. Republicans use all kinds of horrible rhetoric, what did Trump say about women? What did he say about muslims? Immigrants? Africans remember the whole "S****hole countries" garbage? And the democrats just rollover every single time, and try being civil, and commend people like John McCain for civility, despite his policies advancing republican bills most of the time. So why is it such a big deal to fire back? Impeachment won't work you're right, but American politicians are far too concerned about politeness, even the media cannot even interview Trump campaign officials properly, they need someone like Mehdi Hasan to show them how to do it. Politeness does not work I'm afraid, we need more people who have more of an uncompromising attitude to fight for the people. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

The right wing press is having a field day. ”See, we told you they’re crazy...”

Of course many politicians give “red meat” to their base. Her opponents do it all the time for their own supporters, but we live in a system where she’s not “allowed” the same privilege without consequence.

To be a Muslim with any political influence, you have to be squeaky clean to the max. No slack or benefit of the doubt given. Even if you’re perfect, they’ll find a way to smear you, but at least your conscious will be clear. 

1 hour ago, Mohamed1993 said:

I disagree. Republicans use all kinds of horrible rhetoric, what did Trump say about women? What did he say about muslims? Immigrants? Africans remember the whole "S****hole countries" garbage? And the democrats just rollover every single time, and try being civil, and commend people like John McCain for civility, despite his policies advancing republican bills most of the time. So why is it such a big deal to fire back? Impeachment won't work you're right, but American politicians are far too concerned about politeness, even the media cannot even interview Trump campaign officials properly, they need someone like Mehdi Hasan to show them how to do it. Politeness does not work I'm afraid, we need more people who have more of an uncompromising attitude to fight for the people. 

We all know that there are muddy ditches on the sides of roads where some people prefer to eat, bathe, sleep and travel.  That doesn't mean we jump in with them and fling the mud.  

Also, someone who feels s/he needs to be recognized and "heard" by being aggressive and obscene is usually very short on substance but long on insecurity, self promotion, and attention seeking - none of which are good qualities for anyone, especially someone elected to represent you.  Akhlaq is important for a reason. Respectful behaviour ensures a more just atmosphere where problems are reflected upon and solved versus temporarily "won" with loud, crude and rude.  

Edited by Maryaam

8 minutes ago, Reza said:

Of course many politicians give “red meat” to their base. Her opponents do it all the time for their own supporters, but we live in a system where she’s not “allowed” the same privilege without consequence.

To be a Muslim with any political influence, you have to be squeaky clean to the max. No slack or benefit of the doubt given. Even if you’re perfect, they’ll find a way to smear you, but at least your conscious will be clear. 

Squeaky clean is one thing.  Having yourself filmed celebrating by spouting obscenities in a bar is another. 

Edited by Maryaam

1 minute ago, Maryaam said:

We all know that there are muddy ditches on the sides of roads where some people prefer to eat, bathe, sleep and travel in them.  That doesn't mean we jump in with them and fling the mud.  

Also, someone who feels s/he needs to be recognized and "heard" by being aggressive and obscene is usually very short on substance and long on insecurity, self promotion, and attention seeking - none of which are good qualities for anyone, especially someone elected to represent you.  Akhlaq is important for a reason. Respectful behaviour ensures a more just atmosphere where problems are reflected upon and solved versus temporarily "won" with loud, crude and rude.  

Sister no offence but a lot of politicians are polite and then do terrible things behind people’s backs. I haven’t seen enough of Rashida to know where she’s headed and what her stance is on issues, so I’ll hold off on commenting on her just yet but it’s  important to bear in mind context, for one she’s Palestinian, I bet that carries some emotional burden, and also the district she represents are largely people the elites in the US don’t care about. Maybe she’s just passionate who knows? Let’s not write her off so easily. 

2 minutes ago, Maryaam said:

Squeaky clean is one thing.  Having yourself filmed celebrating in a bar is another. 

Is that what she did? Didn’t know that.

I wasn’t referring to her specifically, but Muslims generally. 

At this stage, it’s less about the implications of actual practicing Muslims entering politics, rather it’s the political climate acclaimating to a brown name and face existing in an unfamiliar role.

1 minute ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Sister no offence but a lot of politicians are polite and then do terrible things behind people’s backs. I haven’t seen enough of Rashida to know where she’s headed and what her stance is on issues, so I’ll hold off on commenting on her just yet but it’s  important to bear in mind context, for one she’s Palestinian, I bet that carries some emotional burden, and also the district she represents are largely people the elites in the US don’t care about. Maybe she’s just passionate who knows? Let’s not write her off so easily. 

No offence taken. :)  I am not naive and am aware that many things happen behind the scenes. However, that does not mean you need to join the fray either in front or behind the scenes.  Loud aggressive people are usually just that and very little else.  Reminds me of a poem that says "Avoid loud and aggressive people as they are vexations to the spirit"... or something like that.  Why do you think akhlaq is so highly valued and promoted?

Case in point - Trumps low life rhetoric defines him.  There is nothing more.  Just an empty shell and he is recognized for being just that.  An empty vile shell. 

1 hour ago, Reza said:

Even if we’re squeaky clean, they will find a way to drag you down because they don’t like you not because of what you do but because of who you are. Let me ask you when black people in the US fought for their rights, were they polite? Were they civil? People like Malcolm X hated civility, he in fact explicitly opposed it, saying we must push back.

Ofc muslims in the US don’t face the same situation blacks did back in the day, but honestly appeasement hasn’t worked with the Republican Party under Trump, who has used vile rhetoric against pretty much any minority group you can think of and the democrats have been completely ineffective at stopping him. Federal workers aren’t getting paid because of his stupid insistence to build a wall. What will their families eat? If that doesn’t outrage you but explicit language does, maybe the problem isn’t us, the problem is ignorant people who can be manipulated so easily.

Republicans like to portray how they’re so polite, yet where are they when children are dying at the border or when people are banned from seeing their sick infant because of a ban that’s been imposed on people simply because they hail from a certain country, one that we’re actively helping to starve into submission? 

My point is in politics far too much is made of how people express themselves and far too little of what they do in terms of action. It’s the latter we should be focusing on, the fact that society cares about the former is more indicative of society rather than the people who use foul language. 

24 minutes ago, Reza said:

They also said Obama was not an American and had a foreign birth certificate. See what I mean? It doesn’t matter what you do. 

19 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

It’s  important to bear in mind context, for one she’s Palestinian, I bet that carries some emotional burden, and also the district she represents are largely people the elites in the US don’t care about. Maybe she’s just passionate who knows? Let’s not write her off so easily. 

I don't buy this, she knew very well what she was doing, it has nothing to do with her background and I am almost certain it was calculated.  This was a classic attempt to rally the crowd and possibly take over mainstream headlines.  Fine, some politicians like to employ such tactics, maybe Muslims should too, personally I think it is stupid and detracts from the message.

Edited by King

There’s a fine line between tactful aggressiveness and just being raunchy.

It’s a slippery slope to justify cursing, bad manners, profanity, etc because of the actions of others or the pressing nature of world circumstances. This becomes “ends justify the means”.

The theological forums deal with a similar issue on “cursing” as well, along the same lines of justification.

26 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Even if we’re squeaky clean, they will find a way to drag you down because they don’t like you not because of what you do but because of who you are. Let me ask you when black people in the US fought for their rights, were they polite? Were they civil? People like Malcolm X hated civility, he in fact explicitly opposed it, saying we must push back. Ofc muslims in the US don’t face the same situation blacks did back in the day, but honestly appeasement hasn’t worked and the Republican Party under Trump, who has used vile rhetoric against pretty much any minority group you can think of and the democrats have been completely ineffective at stopping him. Federal workers aren’t getting paid because of his stupid insistence to build a wall. What will their families eat? If that doesn’t outrage you but explicit language does, maybe the problem isn’t us, the problem is ignorant people who can be manipulated so easily. Republicans like to portray how they’re so polite, yet where are they when children are dying at the border or when people are banned from seeing their sick infant because of a ban that’s been imposed on people simply because they hail from a certain country, one that we’re actively helping to starve into submission? 

Don't think equating/monitoring/scoring a person's level of outrage about social injustices with their willingness to be obscene has any real meaning.

Fake smiling to your face while plunging a knife in your back is not "politeness" - Republican or otherwise.  

Maybe I am just old fashioned and stuck in akhlaq-ville and the current way of the day is to emulate your enemy's most vile behaviours with the idea that you will to try and reach a "level" playing/fighting field(?)  

The more extreme your behaviour, the more the focus is on your behaviour and not your content. It is important to recognize when you are being enticed into this trap..... 

Edited by Maryaam

41 minutes ago, Maryaam said:

Akhlaq is important for a reason.

Can not be understated enough, especially in this situation.

30 minutes ago, Maryaam said:

Reminds me of a poem that says "Avoid loud and aggressive people as they are vexations to the spirit"... or something like that.  Why do you think akhlaq is so highly valued and promoted?

If Rashida had taken this tact then she would be in a much more respected and stronger position today. She would've maintained an air or respect, dignity and perhaps the moral high ground. Just because she is a Muslim doesn't mean she's got the right skills for the job.

17 minutes ago, Reza said:

There’s a fine line between tactful aggressiveness and just being raunchy.

Yup, I agree with you 100% on this.

She is just being stupid, which tells that she is not a ‘seasoned’ politician which is a good thing in a way.

I hope she learns fast though, she should represent our basic etiquettes, and not try to be like ‘them’. 

Edited by AMR5

156005c5baf40ff51a327f1c34f2975b_666.jpg

Rashideh Talib puts Palestine name over Israel name on her map in her office & give oath with traditional Palestinian costume 

f3ccdd27d2000e3f9255a7e3e2c48800_683.jpg

On 1/4/2019 at 4:29 PM, shiasoldier786 said:

If not for the neo cons and zionist lobby around him, Trump would be a great President (for the rest of the world at least)

And the war mongering generals too 

We need Rand Paul for president!