ShiaMan14

What Did You Buy - 2018

Rate this topic

I bought paint, cleaning supplies, window screening, and new carpet for my guest cottage. I haven't finished the work, but I expect it'll be worth it in the end. 

It rains every time I plan to paint the porch, and I have to paint before I can replace the screen. I've got some plastic sheets - maybe I'll set up a makeshift rain shield so I can get on with the work. 

I was going to buy a new Apple desktop because the existing one was dying. The idea of a 4k screen was really appealing to me and my wife. But Maryam wasn't at all keen on spending so much money. So I searched around, worked out that the hard-drive was failing and that a new one would be 1/8 the price of a new Mac.

So now I still have the old Mac, but with a new hard-drive.

Still trying to convince Maryam that she could extend her money management sense if she made sandwiches for school at home, rather than buying in the school canteen.

Bought tickets to Najaf. Definitely worth it. 

I am pretty happy with myself for not spending much on worldly stuff this year.With the passage of time it's getting more and more clear how worthless material things really are. 

Okay, don't want to be a party pooper. Please carry on. :)

9 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Still trying to convince Maryam that she could extend her money management sense if she made sandwiches for school at home, rather than buying in the school canteen.

Hehehe. Or do as I tell my wife -  the bracelet means I will have to skip a meal a day to pay for it. She said I need to miss a couple of meals anyway. :hahaha:

4 minutes ago, starlight said:

Bought tickets to Najaf. Definitely worth it. 

I am pretty happy with myself for not spending much on worldly stuff this year.With the passage of time it's getting more and more clear how worthless material things really are. 

Okay, don't want to be a party pooper. Please carry on. :)

Not party pooping here. What better gift than Ziarat.

1 hour ago, realizm said:

:salam:

A car.

I guess I will know in a couple of years if it was worth the money, but so far it is doing well.

Nice. What did you get...if I may ask?

Assalamu alaikum,

A new beard trimmer. Still learning to use it correctly.

Edited by AbdusSibtayn

5 hours ago, realizm said:

With family growing I had to go for a 7 seater so I chose the Nissan X-trail. A suv, I think its equivalent on the US market is named 'Rogue'.

Mashallah and mashallah.

Rogue is a best seller in the US - great SUV.

Well, I'm not much of a spender. I have everything I need and I take really good care of everything I have so it lasts for much longer than for other people. Also, material stuff don't mean much to me anyway.  

I only buy stuff when I need it. So the most expensive things for me this year were my Iraq visits, a regular ziyara and an Arbaeen ziyara. Plus furniture to my home. 

I bought a super cute pink electric mixer the other day! I'm gonna be making waffles with style now! :clap:  :hahaha: 

8 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

College books? That is such a scam...its a racket.

I heard a case where the professor was also an author and had his students buy his book. More than racket, organized crime lol.

7 hours ago, realizm said:

I heard a case where the professor was also an author and had his students buy his book. More than racket, organized crime lol.

This is very normal.

And every year they make students buy a new version when all that changes is the Chapter name or number - organized crime for sure.