Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2019

Rate this topic

On 9/21/2019 at 6:46 PM, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

About time! Need to get rid of this Inzamam-esque attitude towards fitness. 

I remember reading Virat Kohli saying he hadn't eaten butter chicken or something like that in 4 years. That's the level of fitness they should be competing with.

21 minutes ago, Son of Placid said:

He never made palliative care. 

Sorry for your loss. Inna lilahi wa Inna ilayhi raji'un (Indeed, to Allah we belong and to Him we shall return.)

48 minutes ago, Son of Placid said:

He never made palliative care. 

Condolences to you and your family. So sorry for the loss of your son. You are in our thoughts and prayers. 

I decided to walk the 1.8 miles to the library and then back. Unfortunately, the route was along a local divided highway with no sidewalk. On the way there, it wasn't so bad. I dropped off the movie and book I had borrowed, read some recipes in a magazine, and set out to go home. The traffic had increased dramatically, and it would be going the same direction as I needed to walk. (Or I could cross the highway, but I knew the shoulder was worse on that side.) But I saw a footpath into a neighborhood, that apperared to be going the direction I needed to go. I don't mind a little extra distance for a nicer walk, so I decided to try it.

As it turns out, this neighborhood was exactly the kind I used to design when I worked in land development, you know, the awful kind with all the loop roads and dead ends. I had to open a Google map to navigate myself out of there, and the total distance home ended up being 2.6 miles instead of 1.8. But it was a nice neighborhood with big close together houses that all looked pretty much the same, and lots of people out and about, and a lovely multi-use path, just like the kind I used to design. I wouldn't want to live there, but the path was nice.

I'm contemplating getting a topographic map for the highway that I walked along, and a map showing right of way, and sketching up a plan and petitioning the county for a pedestrian and bicycle path beside the road. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would use it.

Well, that's my thoughts right now anyway.

5 hours ago, notme said:

this neighborhood was exactly the kind I used to design when I worked in land development, you know, the awful kind with all the loop roads and dead ends.

:ranting: "____! So YOU are one of the people responsible for the absence of blocks. Like the kind you can drive around. Go around the block, like in the good old days. This week l wanted to come down from behind a house l was looking at by the road l just past to view the back of the place. After about ten minutes of cul-de-sacs, weaves, half circles, l finally came to the road to turn onto.

Is Lost and Confused the new normal?

Are trying to reduce the population numbers of old people, one stroke at a time?

"Google map to navigate"? What about us old folks that do not have cell phones?

"Google map to navigate." :furious:"You realize you deserved that, don't you?" 

:yahoo:"This tirade made me feel good."

:bye:"Salam, Uhty"

Edited by hasanhh

22 hours ago, hasanhh said:

So YOU are one of the people responsible for the absence of blocks.

Regretfully, yes. In my defense, I think they're horrible, but all the paying clients want them. Narrow roads in straight lines with sidewalks are so much nicer and easier to navigate, and the neighborhoods in the old style are usually friendlier and safer.

I haven't worked in land development in almost five years. I don't really want to go back to it, but I don't know what else I can or should do once my youngest is in school full time.

I liked and am good at the problem solving aspect of it, but subdivisions that are all the same and all for rich people don't make me happy, and neither do malls, and most of what I did was design shopping centers and upper middle class subdivisions.

My favorite projects were:

A stream restoration project in a city park, which was turned into a nice urban nature preserve with a walking trail and informative signage.

And:

Redeveloping an abandoned drive-in theater into multi-family housing with neighborhood recreation areas.

So it seems that instead of putting stuff in, I'd be happier taking stuff out. I wonder if there is a demand for "undevelopment" engineers.

Imagine how different the world would be if Lovelace and Babbage had lived during the age of clockwork automations.

Hmm. Sounds like the premise to a steampunk alternative timeline sci-fi. I'm not a writer, so anyone feel free to use that idea if it inspires you.

Serial killers of females is one thing but this is perhaps the first ever terrorist attack inspired by misogyny and sexual frustration.

The man accused of killing 10 people by ploughing his van onto a crowded Toronto sidewalk has admitted that he was a violent misogynist who was radicalized online, in a video that was made public on Friday.

Alek Minassian is accused of driving a rental van into a crowd on one of Toronto’s busiest streets, killing 10 pedestrians and injuring 16, in the deadliest act of mass murder in the city’s history.

The attack traumatized Canada’s largest city, and cast a spotlight on the so-called “incel” online subculture of men united by sexual frustration and a hatred of women.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/27/alek-minassian-toronto-van-attack-interview-incels

On 9/27/2019 at 5:49 AM, notme said:

Regretfully, yes. In my defense, I think they're horrible, but all the paying clients want them. Narrow roads in straight lines with sidewalks are so much nicer and easier to navigate, and the neighborhoods in the old style are usually friendlier and safer.

I haven't worked in land development in almost five years. I don't really want to go back to it, but I don't know what else I can or should do once my youngest is in school full time.

I liked and am good at the problem solving aspect of it, but subdivisions that are all the same and all for rich people don't make me happy, and neither do malls, and most of what I did was design shopping centers and upper middle class subdivisions.

My favorite projects were:

A stream restoration project in a city park, which was turned into a nice urban nature preserve with a walking trail and informative signage.

And:

Redeveloping an abandoned drive-in theater into multi-family housing with neighborhood recreation areas.

So it seems that instead of putting stuff in, I'd be happier taking stuff out. I wonder if there is a demand for "undevelopment" engineers.

Salaam sister, you might try looking in the direction of either sustainable developments,green buildings, or ecosystem rehabilitation. My major in school was environmental science with an  emphasis on ecosystem restoration. I love to be outdoors and in nature working to restore the damage humans have caused in the environment, however, the positions I wanted were the litetally "boots on the ground/hands on" positions, and as I got older, my body became less and less tolerant of the physical demand as well as the more I began to observe Islam, the less I was able to justify and continue working in such a male dominated environment that had me swingin picks, shovels and moving in other "not so islamically appropriate" manners, but YOUR background is in design, I take it, so it could possibly work for you.

W/s

On 9/27/2019 at 5:58 AM, notme said:

Imagine how different the world would be if Lovelace and Babbage had lived during the age of clockwork automations.

Hmm. Sounds like the premise to a steampunk alternative timeline sci-fi. I'm not a writer, so anyone feel free to use that idea if it inspires you.

Hmmmm, a scifi -my genre writ- with Augusta Ada King (aka Countess of Lovelace, one of Lord Byron's brats) in a time warp.

Any off-hand recollections for context? Yes, The Majestic Clockwork in Jacob Bronowski's Ascent of Man. Yet "clockwork" here, and in this Newtonian Age refers to "the clockwork of the heavens", the astronomicals of 'heavenly motion'. With a little Einstein modification for the motion of Mercury and such.

Resource Limitation: the alleged algorythm Byron's brat 'wrote' never seems to exist anywhere. Where is the paper or letter? l'd like to read it.

Combining these two observables, SciFi is not the correct genre. But it is "Science Fantasy", of the feminist hallucination kind.

:D

3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

But it is "Science Fantasy", of the feminist hallucination kind.

Ok. I'll accept "Science Fantasy". But why feminist hallucination? If it writes similar to Ursula Leguin it'll be a win.

Ursula K. Le Guin: a Hainish Universe of evolutionary speculation.

I guess that is similar/same as the "land whales" on that idiotic episode of Nova.

OPINE: l like my SciFi adventure concepts much better. At least they are fundamentally real.

Edit To answer your question: Hallucination is the word l used because in authoring novels, my opinion is women-don't-think-right . . . if you chose to call it thinking.

Challenge: pick a story line and l'II explain why l think as such.

Edited by hasanhh

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

Edit To answer your question: Hallucination is the word l used because in authoring novels, my opinion is women-don't-think-right . . . if you chose to call it thinking.

Challenge: pick a story line and l'II explain why l think as such.

Classic sci-fi tends to have few female characters, and the ones that exist are usually more a plot device than a actual character. Female writers have more character diversity, but do tend more toward science fantasy. I can't think of a realistic sci-fi which has a noteworthy female character. (Unless The Expanse series is realistic? I think it's not.)

Male sci-fi writers are usually weak at dialogue too, but you get used to it if you read enough. 

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

OPINE: l like my SciFi adventure concepts much better. At least they are fundamentally real.

I like more feasible sci-fi too, but also read the more fantastical type. 

On 9/27/2019 at 3:49 PM, Marbles said:

Serial killers of females is one thing but this is perhaps the first ever terrorist attack inspired by misogyny and sexual frustration.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/27/alek-minassian-toronto-van-attack-interview-incels

When I saw this, I thought you had posted an old story. I didn't realize it had been done again.

20 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

Salaam sister, you might try looking in the direction of either sustainable developments,green buildings, or ecosystem rehabilitation. My major in school was environmental science with an  emphasis on ecosystem restoration. I love to be outdoors and in nature working to restore the damage humans have caused in the environment, however, the positions I wanted were the litetally "boots on the ground/hands on" positions, and as I got older, my body became less and less tolerant of the physical demand as well as the more I began to observe Islam, the less I was able to justify and continue working in such a male dominated environment that had me swingin picks, shovels and moving in other "not so islamically appropriate" manners, but YOUR background is in design, I take it, so it could possibly work for you.

W/s

Thank you. That's some great ideas. My main problem with shifting specialization is that I feel like I'd be better suited for entry level, but nobody wants to hire someone my age for entry level positions. I've had supervisors younger than me before, but never half my age.

2 hours ago, notme said:

Thank you. That's some great ideas. My main problem with shifting specialization is that I feel like I'd be better suited for entry level, but nobody wants to hire someone my age for entry level positions. I've had supervisors younger than me before, but never half my age.

Ah, I think I can understand. Its similar to sometging im experiencing. That, and Its getting to the point where its awkward when I go to the drs and theyre half my age!

W/s

2 hours ago, notme said:

When I saw this, I thought you had posted an old story. I didn't realize it had been done again.

It is the same crime story from 2018, that was updated with new information, including the release of four hours of video, the police interview with the murder suspect (10 people died).

The video, and transcripts of the interview, were made public on Friday after an Ontario judge lifted a publication ban. Families of the victims were shown the video before it was released to the public.

The original thread is here:

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235057065-toronto-van-attack/

Some time ago Iran asked its athlete to lose a judo match so he would not have to compete against an Israeli athlete. The news was given much coverage in the media. 

https://www.dw.com/en/Iran-suspended-from-world-judo-federation-after-athlete-threw-match/a-50483587

Israeli PM made a short video and posted it on his Youtube channel as part of his propaganda war against Iran.

But that's not why I posted these shots.

Just look at the comments for proof that love is truly blind... :love:

Screenshot-20190930-005959-You-Tube.jpgScreenshot-20190930-010035-You-Tube.jpg

Edited by Marbles
I love editing my posts.

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Some time ago Iran asked its athlete to lose a judo match so he would not have to compete against an Israeli athlete. The news was given much coverage in the media. 

https://www.dw.com/en/Iran-suspended-from-world-judo-federation-after-athlete-threw-match/a-50483587

Israeli PM made a short video and posted it on his Youtube channel as part of his propaganda war against Iran.

Echoes of the rally that Narendra Modi recently held with Trump in the United States attending by throngs of right-wing Hindu nationalists who support them both.

Unfortunately, this really does seem to be the norm -- my university had a similarly interesting dynamic where, although most black and brown students were very sympathetic to the Palestinian cause, pro-Modi Indian students were the visible exception. The India-Israel link is a logical conclusion of the Islamophobia that they're unfortunately born into.

Edited by Don'tMakeAس

10 hours ago, Don'tMakeAس said:

Echoes of the rally that Narendra Modi recently held with Trump in the United States attending by throngs of right-wing Hindu nationalists who support them both.

Unfortunately, this really does seem to be the norm -- my university had a similarly interesting dynamic where, although most black and brown students were very sympathetic to the Palestinian cause, pro-Modi Indian students were the visible exception. The India-Israel link is a logical conclusion of the Islamophobia that they're unfortunately born into.

Nationalist-racist governments in both Israel and India see themselves as historical victims of Islamic conquest, which interrupted their history and civilisation and now it's time to 'restore' their 'homelands' back to their respective imagined pasts. Hatred of Muslims unites them. Both get away with crying "Islamic terrorism" when people react against state oppression.

One can excuse Israel for what it is but Indian surrender to the US-Israel worldview has been one of the most stunning U-turns in the intellectual and political history of a country. Their pretense of supporting the Palestinian cause, even diplomatically, which they kept up until the 1990s has been done away with. India and Israel love each other and Gulf Arabs are all too eager to join them...

The India of old that maintained its independence against foreign pressures and stood against Western injustices, even if only diplomatically, is gone for good. 

20 hours ago, Marbles said:

Indian right wing has marketed itself well. The old British policy of divide and rule where they legitimately ignited hatred towards minorities and got to win elections. You see Modi is winning comfortably despite economy being [Edited Out] and unemployment being all time high because he made Hindus believe they are in threatened by existence of Muslims and Christians. 

But I am glad live in a state in South India where we live in peace and harmony without such problems from the right wing and we have more freedom compared to people in the North.

Mydogynme Alert !

2Timeless started this fun-fight thread today, "Mini-Rant" about how  . . . whatever . . . men are.

In the thread, someone mentioned me being in Jena with dozens of 'wives'. Which l of course refuted.

So l got to thinking, men and women in Jena. How will that be arranged?

Maybe, Hopefully, Jena will be like a Masjid.

Separation of men and women.

And soundproofed.

We all know why -->:discussion:

8 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Mydogynme Alert !

2Timeless started this fun-fight thread today, "Mini-Rant" about how  . . . whatever . . . men are.

In the thread, someone mentioned me being in Jena with dozens of 'wives'. Which l of course refuted.

So l got to thinking, men and women in Jena. How will that be arranged?

Maybe, Hopefully, Jena will be like a Masjid.

Separation of men and women.

And soundproofed.

We all know why -->:discussion:

Will gender exist in heaven as we understand it? Women will be allowed to wear beautiful dress in public and what not... I am not a scholar but I often feel like sex is just a characteristic of being human. Everything in dunya comes in pairs so that they can reproduce (and a lot of other things come in pairs in general like left and right hands, night and day, black and white, etc). The nature of this dunya is 2 opposites coming together to make a complete unit. However, I don't think our rooh is only half a rooh... I feel like our souls are whole and in the next life we don't have a use or need for 2 sexes... Not like we'll be popping out babies in Jannah