Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2019

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Absolutely, how beneficial is it for a society to diminish a genocide that they partook in? 

This only proves my original point earlier, which was in response to someone posting on a now closed thread complaining about lack of freedom of speech on this site.

There is no absolute freedom of speech. Unless of course one includes those notorious message board websites where anything goes, literally.

9 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

There is no absolute freedom of speech. Unless of course one includes those notorious message board websites where anything goes, literally.

I agree, the freedom is an illusion at best but I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were upset about the freedom of speech not applying everywhere.

4 hours ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Thank you to all for your duas, my cousin passed away after a long illness. 

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un!

Sorry for your loss.

Sicknesses in dunya purifies us from sins we have commited, maybe Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wanted your cousin to return to Him purified and clean of sins.

1 hour ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Thank you to all for your duas, my cousin passed away after a long illness. 

Condolences, may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) grant him jannah

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raj'ioon

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

3 hours ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

JazakAllah for your kind words brother. He had a brain tumour and had been undergoing treatment this past year, eventually he started going downhill pretty fast and today he’s gone. He was in his mid twenties and like a younger brother to me. :cry:

Innaa lillahi Wa Innaa Ilayhi Raaji'oon. "Indeed to Allah we belong, and to Him we return." [Holy Qur'an 2:156] 

(fatiha) So sorry for your loss, Sister. My condolences to you and your family. :cry:

In the last public act before his death, Benjamin Franklin parodied a proslavery speech in Congress by comparing it to a fictitious proslavery address “anno 1687” by a North African Muslim, a pirate named Sidi Mehemet Ibrahim. Like proslavery southerners, the Algerian argued that he could not countenance the end of Christian slavery because it would hurt the interests of the Algerian state, there would be no way to compensate the Muslim slave masters, and nothing could safely be done with the freed slaves. Franklin's salvo against slavery was published in 1790 in major northern newspapers. His use of Muslims and Islamic images is one of the most famous in eighteenth-century America, but not unique. Islamic references pepper the public documents of early America, demonstrating that many were not only aware of the religion but also ready to use it as a rhetorical tool of argument. A close look at the uses of Islam in Anglo-American writing before 1800 shows that Franklin's use of the proslavery argument was another version of a well-established tradition: citing the similarities between an opponent's views and the “beliefs” of Islam as a means to discredit one's adversaries. Over the course of the eighteenth century, rhetorical uses of Islam became increasingly secularized. Early in the century, Islam was typically used for religious purposes in religious debates while later commentators often took knowledge “derived” from observations of despotic Islamic states to support political points. Although one should hesitate to describe early Americans as conversant with Islam, they certainly conversed about Islam regularly.

Kidd, T. (2003). “Is It Worse to Follow Mahomet than the Devil?” Early American Uses of Islam. Church History,72(4), 766-790. doi:10.1017/S0009640700097377

If you search for 'the light verse' in Google's 'all results' it's mainly our famous one from Surah al Noor that comes up. But if you restrict the search to 'images' it's only Christian results.

:confused:

Edited by Haji 2003

On 8/28/2019 at 6:56 AM, Haji 2003 said:

This is where, in Kashan, he was assassinated btw. We passed through on the way from Qom to Isfahan a couple of years ago.

IMG_0623.thumb.jpg.9aa5cf562e3245715daeda72060480c1.jpg

The crosses would make many Muslims uncomfortable.. and some non Shias particularly gleeful (see? Proof they are kafirs. Doing sujood on a stone to a cross). Smh.

22 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

The crosses would make many Muslims uncomfortable.. and some non Shias particularly gleeful (see? Proof they are kafirs. Doing sujood on a stone to a cross). Smh.

It's a hammam, not a place for prayer.

51 minutes ago, starlight said:

I am now starting to think that Pakistan and India might be headed for a war very soon. 

For the sake of our Pakistani and Indian brothers and sisters especially, but all humans generally, I hope not.

@starlight this might be of interest to you.

So for the past couple of years, I had a persistent and highly localized itch on the right side of my back. Went to the doctor's, and it was decided that it wasn't fungal or a rash but nerve damage, so she prescribed a diabetic nerve pain relief in the form of these pills. I voiced some concerns that it wasn't appropriate for me, because I'm not diabetic. The doctor reassured me that if wasn't appropriate, I would be taken off after a week, so ok, fair enough.

Well, Mom decided to do some further research and found out that wasn't  even for nerve damage but an anti-convulsant for epilepsy and seizures.

The irony? One of the side effects of this anti-convulsant, along with depression and suicidal thoughts is causing seizures.

We decided to not to get the prescription because it seems extremely dangerous and not worth the risk.

8 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

The irony? One of the side effects of this anti-convulsant, along with depression and suicidal thoughts is causing seizures.

Your post made me remember two quotes by one of my favourite physicians Sir William Osler.

1431212493_images(45).jpeg.a635d7bba0099968ec984bc28cdfe24e.jpeg

745423833_images(43).jpeg.bf73b0f226abdbb8c363bd729a3504c3.jpeg

Ask your doctor to prescribe some supplements if he thinks it's neuropathy. Vitamin B6 (50-100mg/day) and B12 might prove beneficial.