Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2019

Rate this topic

On 8/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, 2Timeless said:

I don’t want to have to go through the effort of actually quoting the person and selecting that emoji. You know how we have the "agree" reaction? I want the eye-roll equivalent 

SEE:  emojis.wiki/face-with-rolling-eyes/

There is a confusion of meanings. The ones listed plus I used mine as a pretense-of-innocence.

So I invested a lot of time in preparing the meat mix, marinara sauce, etc. to prepare some decent spagueti meatballs to finally realize I don't have spagueti... From all the ingredients I could possibly run out of, I had to ran out of the most necessary one lol.

Edited by Bakir

On July 20, 2019 at 8:12 AM, Soldiers and Saffron said:

@LeftCoastMom

@Son of Placid

Do you guys know why the Christian monks have their haircut that way? Whats the reason?

Hi. I'm back for a bit.

The tonsure ( that haircut) is currently only used for a few monastic orders. That fellow looks like a Franciscan,but even most Franciscans don't use it anymore. It used to be much more widely used in centuries past for both monks and clergy, Depending upon who you talk to, it is a sign of humility or in imitation of a couple of the  Apostles, who supposedly shaved their heads. It has largely fallen out of practice except for a few snips of hair done during some ordination rites. This is for the Western Church ( Latin). The Eastern Churches and , of course, other religions, have their own rules.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

4 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

:yahoo:"I sold my first book."

Awww, MashaAllah. Wish you lots of success. So happy for you! 

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

:yahoo:"I sold my first book."

:thankyou:

:helpsos:"H-a-s-a-n---I-s---g-o-I-n-g---o-v-e-r---t-h-e---e-d-g-e"

:gossip:"There will be no dealing with him now."

:book:"He actually wrote this?  Naahh, he must have used a ghost writer."

Congratulations! If you don’t mind me asking, what genre? How long have you been working on it? 

8 hours ago, hasanhh said:

SciFi writ in 'hard science' (no fantasy stuff). 

Oh I read a lot of that! Is it on Amazon? Want to share the title publicly or via pm?

(If you prefer to keep your anonymity, I understand, no problem.)

2 minutes ago, notme said:

Please everyone, if you can, make some duas for my mother-in-law. The doctors have never figured out what has been making her ill for months, but she wants to have the machines removed, and without them, the doctors give her only days to live. We'd all like to see her prove the doctors wrong and make a full recovery, God willing.

Making duas for your mother-in-law's recovery. 

20 hours ago, hasanhh said:

SciFi writ in 'hard science' (no fantasy stuff). 

Four months, then edited it. Wrote it straight through, then went back and double check the 'accounting' -names and numbers consistent kind of work. Then added in words or sentences -which came to 500 more words.

In the end, it came out ~99% the way l wanted it because some of the editing didn't get published.

Name?

3 hours ago, notme said:

Please everyone, if you can, make some duas for my mother-in-law. The doctors have never figured out what has been making her ill for months, but she wants to have the machines removed, and without them, the doctors give her only days to live. We'd all like to see her prove the doctors wrong and make a full recovery, God willing.

Very sorry to hear... Wish her and the rest of the family all the strength and blessings possible.

15 hours ago, notme said:

God be with your family during this difficult time. They have no idea what is causing her condition? That must be maddening.

^ Ouch. That would be painful and dangerous, I suspect.

I think the person meant that women should wear " proper" maternity gear?

Not that that makes you any less noticeable. I had a favorite white smock I wore for all of mine.

Whenever I left the house wearing it in my third trimester, my ( ever so helpful and loving) husband would boldly announce  " the schooner is sailing out!"

Edited by LeftCoastMom

@hasanhhI am hanging out here today to keep my mind off of other things temporarily.  I was going to start a " stupid things rural /farm people hear", but  it would probably just be you and me talking. However, I did want to share these "gems of wisdom":

You can't breed dairy and beef cattle together.

Hens won't lay eggs without a rooster.

I'm afraid to keep my domestic rabbit outside because I worry that a cottontail will get into my pen and breed with her.

( In regards to my own carefully planned out  breedings ) "If you're not careful, all of your baby rabbits will be related". ( What part of " herd buck" did they not understand?)

Edited by LeftCoastMom

3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

What are these women supposed to do? Wear a corset?

Lol.I forgot to say I meant in pictures. As soon as a girl announces her pregnancy she posts back to back pictures of clothing and poses that show off the belly. 

6 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Hens won't lay eggs without a rooster.

I don't know if it is observed in chickens, but l remember when it was confirmed that turkeys are parthenogenetic in the 70s. 

Other than believing that domesticated = pet  l haven't heard dumb stuff about animals. Mostly these were about equipment, farm practices and that erosion is caused by farms.