Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2019

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Murtaza1 said:

How about giving a soft cuddly teddy bear with a prophetic quote of comfort regarding loss of a child. Here are some of my favourite quotes:

This is a great idea, thank you!

57 minutes ago, Nevsevug said:

Is it wise to create a cover letter with resume? How do you write one/what do you include?

Interesting question. I was just exploring that today as well. I am redeveloping my covering letter and CV too. Here is where I am learning about it. It has all the information you will need about covering letters:

On 1/18/2019 at 1:02 PM, notme said:

Life would be easier if we all just closed our eyes and our ears. Life would be easier if we just didn't care about humanity. 

Question: if someone you love and respect says something really stupid and harmful, should you correct them, knowing they won't listen? 

IMHO yes. I can relate to your quandary. My teacher used to refer to something called 'the drip-drip effect' which nowadays is more commonly associated with the impact that mass media has on the general public. The idea is that if you repeat s'thing enough times, you reinforce the message and eventually the penny drops. 

Edited by Aflower

18 hours ago, Nevsevug said:

Would anyone be able to suggest gifts that I can include in a care package for a friend who miscarried? Thank you 

How thoughtful of you. Here are a few ideas:

• A book with inspirational quotes
  • Some skincare products - possibly a nice smelling bath oil
  • A sapling to be planted in her garden
  • A home made cake/biscuits
  • A collection of different herbal tea

Hope this helps. x 

Edited by Aflower

13 minutes ago, Aflower said:

How thoughtful of you. Here are a few ideas:

• A book with inspirational quotes
  • Some skincare products - possibly a nice smelling bath oil
  • A sapling to be planted in her garden
  • A home made cake/biscuits
  • A collection of different herbal tea

Hope this helps. x 

Thank you very much, those are all great suggestions! 

Would it be okay for me to attend a wedding 10 days from now I,e 25/26 Jamadi ul Awal?? It's close friend who is getting married, I foolishly promised her I would attend weeks ago not realizing it would be in the days of Martydom of Lady Fatima(عليه السلام). 

Saw this elsewhere and I thought it could be of use here as well:

Before sending an angry text/post, re-read it 3 times. Once for spelling/grammar, twice to make sure your point is clear, and a third time to make sure you still want to send it. 

7 hours ago, Laayla said:

^^^

Can you dine and dash? :eat:

You can show your presence, drop a wedding gift/card, congratulate her and leave when the music starts.

It's in another city and I would be staying in their home so I don't know. But that was a good suggestion,leaving early hadn't been in my mind. I will try and think of ways where I can attend but still not be a part of celebration.  

15 hours ago, starlight said:

Would it be okay for me to attend a wedding 10 days from now I,e 25/26 Jamadi ul Awal?? It's close friend who is getting married, I foolishly promised her I would attend weeks ago not realizing it would be in the days of Martydom of Lady Fatima(عليه السلام). 

My criteria in such situations is to judge if the social and personal costs of not attending exceed the bounds of social acceptability. I justify my participation by the fact that they are Sunnis and don't observe the days of martyrdom of the masoomeen, so I do not hold it against them. 

This does not apply to weddings that take place during the height of Muharram commemorations (1st to 10th or 1st to 12th if pushed), but  then a heavy majority of Sunnis do not hold weddings during those days anyway. Only a few hardcore Wahhabis who don't care do. We've had invitations in the past for weddings that took place on any dates from 1st to 6th Muharram. We excused.

PS: This is my personal view of whether or not to attend a wedding that falls in the days of mourning. Other fellow Shias, including those in my immediate family, have a much stricter and longer abstention criteria. There was a wedding that took place on the 13th of Muharram and which I knew I needed to attend for various personal and professional reasons. So I did.

Edit: As long as you are not attending the Mehndi, you don't have to worry about the music. The receptions on wedding day proper don't have the dance and loud music of the event that comes before it, even if many people play background music in wedding recpetions, which is getting more common and can't really be avoided.

Edited by Marbles

Just complaining about first world problems. Feel free to skip this post if you don't have time for that nonsense. 

A heat pump is a great way to keep a house comfortable most of the time, but not today. It's above freezing in here - would be considered mild if it were outside - 60°F/14°C. Why are my toes numb? 

2 hours ago, notme said:

Just complaining about first world problems. Feel free to skip this post if you don't have time for that nonsense. 

A heat pump is a great way to keep a house comfortable most of the time, but not today. It's above freezing in here - would be considered mild if it were outside - 60°F/14°C. Why are my toes numb? 

I don’t know where you are but in Hertfordshire its very cold as well. It was snowing here earlier brrr

Edited by Murtaza1

A Taiwanese woman who described herself as the “Bikini Hiker” has died from suspected hypothermia, after a fall in Nantou County.

Gigi Wu had 14,000 social media followers and was known for scaling mountains while wearing bikinis. 

https://www.independent.co.United Kingdom/news/world/Asia/bikini-hiker-gigi-wu-dead-taiwan-yushan-national-park-nantou-county-a8739081.html

1 hour ago, notme said:

Crazy weather. All weekend it never went above freezing. Today it's predicted to reach 60°F/16°C. It's already warming quickly. 

There was some ice outside here this morning in Hertfordshire United Kingdom. Which country are you in? 

27 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

There was some ice outside here this morning in Hertfordshire United Kingdom. Which country are you in? 

United States. East side. 

7 hours ago, notme said:

Crazy weather. All weekend it never went above freezing. Today it's predicted to reach 60°F/16°C. It's already warming quickly. 

Today the conversation in Kansas City is if the temperature outside goes below 15°F/ -9.4°C you should let the water drip (the size of a pencil lead) in the sink, to keep the pipes from freezing. 

1 hour ago, Hameedeh said:

Today the conversation in Kansas City is if the temperature outside goes below 15°F/ -9.4°C you should let the water drip (the size of a pencil lead) in the sink, to keep the pipes from freezing. 

We had some pipes freeze during a cold snap last winter. It's no fun. 

But it feels wrong waste water. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

I have heard the price of the water running is 20 to 50 cents a day depending how much you are dripping. That does seem wasteful, but it is less than the possible hundreds of dollars in repair costs and damage to property. They also said not to lower your thermostat below 65°F/18°C to save money. My relatives previously advised me to set mine at 62°F when I am not at home, but I think I will set it a little higher just to be on the safe side. I also open the cabinet doors under the sink when I am gone, to let warm air circulate there. 

6 hours ago, notme said:

If the pipe freezes, can’t you mix hot water with salt and pour it down the drain? Shouldnt that help?

7 hours ago, IbnSina said:

If the pipe freezes, can’t you mix hot water with salt and pour it down the drain? Shouldnt that help?

I've never heard of that, but it should work for a sewer pipe. The pipes that usually freeze are the ones with water coming into the house. 

5 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Thoughts:

Why do women become wrecks after two babies...?

All women? And what's meant by "wrecks"? Physical? Emotional? Choose your words carefully you don't want to bring down the wrath of smiley. :brucelee:

21 minutes ago, notme said:

All women?

So many...

Physical? Emotional?

Both.

Choose your words carefully you don't want to bring down the wrath of smiley. :brucelee:

:helpsos:

@Marbles I'm going to call nonsense on this assertion. As I've seen, women are empowered by having children. They go from frail, immature girls to terrifyingly powerful mama bears. 

As for looks, I'm sure it's a personal preference. Maybe that's why some males always want to swap for a new model - they prefer girls to adult women. (Maybe because the power of adult women is emasculating to weak males?) If the husband is worried about his wife "letting herself go" physically, he needs to pick up the slack and quit making her carry the whole burden of raising a family. All that stress causes damage to a body.

Edited by notme
Added parenthetical thought.