Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2019

Rate this topic

If anyone can spare some duas for this family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/RayEwing

May is brain cancer awareness month. If you've got some spare time, educate yourselves. If you donate to cancer organizations such as The American Cancer Society, those funds will be used for cancers that have good cure rates, not for brain cancer. 

Edited by notme

Guest Foodie
On 5/14/2019 at 7:03 AM, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:
The Shia Muslim scholars and speakers attended the annual gathering at the Islamic Centre of England.

The respected attendees came from across the country including Scotland, Wales, Ireland and various cities in England. 

They gather to discuss the topics which touch the lives of the community most. This year Education and particularity the introduction of the subject of RSE was seen to be the most concerning for the community.

IMG_0526.JPG

Seems like all 313 are there. One seems to be getting a call from Najaf too!! -:) .. 

Joke apart, I’m glad they gathered, talked about similar agendas, and some strategies for the future, I hope. Respects!! 

What is RSE? 

2 hours ago, Guest Foodie said:

Seems like all 313 are there. One seems to be getting a call from Najaf too!! -:) .. 

Joke apart, I’m glad they gathered, talked about similar agendas, and some strategies for the future, I hope. Respects!! 

What is RSE? 

Relationships and Sex Education, you know where they now can teach preteens it is ok to question their sexual identifaction and genders etc. Guess it is the equivalent of the watered down PSE (Personal Social Ed) as it was known in my days.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:59 PM, Laayla said:

@notme

Assalam Alikum sister 

You can call corporate and verify.  This is what I read about it.

What's in a Fry?

But they didn’t change their recipe one bit. Their website still lists the ingredientsfor all to see.

As a representative explained: “With regard to our French fries, any customer in the you.S. who contacts McDonald's United States to ask if they contain beef flavoring is told 'yes.'"

The way it works is, McDonald's French fry suppliers add a very small amount of beef flavor to the oil in the par-frying process at the potato processing plant before shipping the spuds to individual outlets. Once at the restaurant, the fries are cooked in vegetable oil. That same representative went on to say that, "In addition, we have no plans to change the way we prepare our French fries in the you.S. However, it is important to know that our French fries are prepared differently in other countries.”

https://www.thoughtco.com/mcdonalds-french-fries-still-not-vegetarian-3970283

20190516_142412.jpg

Edited by Ali~J

Anyone familiar with the newer m.2 ssd? I want to order one and I'm unsure if I should get the 120gb or the 240gb version, considering I already have a 1tb sshd.

I found the western digital green 120gb for 27$ and 42$ for the 240gb. 

I'm guessing the better option is the bigger one?

Edited by laithAlIRAQI

10 minutes ago, laithAlIRAQI said:

Anyone familiar with the newer m.2 ssd? I want to order one and I'm unsure if I should get the 120gb or the 240gb version, considering I already have a 1tb sshd.

I found the western digital green 120gb for 27$ and 42$ for the 240gb. 

I'm guessing the better option is the bigger one?

I used older version of Ssd  from WDfor my pc & it was good with high speed  but for new version I don't have information that bigger one is always better option if you caneed afford it but you muse check ppole that buyed it before you tI check their expirence from new version of ssd

On 5/14/2019 at 6:20 PM, notme said:

I've heard that too, but couldn't find reference to it online. When I get home I'll look at my books, inshallah, and if someone knows where to find that reference if it exists, hopefully they will post it. 

Did you find out something about this?

1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

Did you find out something about this?

Oh... I'm sorry I forgot to get back to you on it. I couldn't find anything limiting the number of verses, though I have heard people mention that too. I guess either it's a cultural tradition, or it's a ruling of another marja. Or possibly I just couldn't find it. 

On 5/14/2019 at 11:03 AM, IbnSina said:

Isnt there a limitation to the amount of ayahs she can recite while on period? I have heard something like that before.

There is a limited amount of ayahs (7 verses of the Holy Qur'an) for anyone who needs to take ghusl: if someone (male or female) is in the state of impurity and they find out that someone has passed away, they can read Surah Fatiha (7 ayahs) for that deceased person even though they are impure (no ghusl or wudhu). 

I referred to someone as "puerile" at the dinner table, and my family accused me of using big words to make myself look smart. I really didn't even think about it - if was the right word to express the meaning that I needed. 

(Puerile means "like little boys", and I was describing how the men at someone's workplace act, with their constant pranks and crude jokes.)

What words or phrases do you use, that cause other people to look at you funny? 

Or is it just me?

On 5/18/2019 at 4:29 AM, Hameedeh said:

There is a limited amount of ayahs (7 verses of the Holy Qur'an) for anyone who needs to take ghusl: if someone (male or female) is in the state of impurity and they find out that someone has passed away, they can read Surah Fatiha (7 ayahs) for that deceased person even though they are impure (no ghusl or wudhu). 

Yes, thats what I remember hearing as well, do you have the source for this rule?

Jokha Alharthi, the first female Omani novelist to be translated into English, has won the Man Booker International prize for her novel Celestial Bodies.

Alharthi, the £50,000 award’s first winner to write in Arabic, shares the prize equally with her translator, American academic Marilyn Booth. Celestial Bodies is set in the Omani village of al-Awafi and follows the stories of three sisters: Mayya, who marries into a rich family after a heartbreak; Asma, who marries for duty; and Khawla, waiting for a man who has emigrated to Canada.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/may/21/man-booker-international-prize-jokha-alharthi-wins-celestial-bodies-oman

On 4/24/2019 at 6:06 AM, Don'tMakeA١٠١س said:

I remember reading somewhere that the majority of soldiers on either side in the Second World War covertly shot to miss, without even realizing it; it's not in the human nature to kill. 

These kinds of remorseless killers in 'elite' military units have their purpose, but they're largely abnormal human beings.

@notme

Just heard about this from Kyle Kulinski.

Over $300,000 defense fund raised on his behalf.  

Donald Trump may pardon him.

"Stabbing a defenseless teenage captive to death. Picking off a school-age girl and an old man from a sniper’s roost. Indiscriminately spraying neighborhoods with rockets and machine-gun fire. Navy SEAL commandos from Team 7’s Alpha Platoon said they had seen their highly decorated platoon chief commit shocking acts in Iraq. And they had spoken up, repeatedly. But their frustration grew as months passed and they saw no sign of official action."

@Laayla that's disgusting. I can't imagine what kind of people have empathy for this psychopath. Probably other psychopaths.

@Propaganda_of_the_Deed I read today of a woman being attacked by a fox in her garden recently. It's beautiful, but remember to always give wild animals respect and distance. 

13 hours ago, Laayla said:

Donald Trump may pardon him.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-pentagon-oppose-Trump-pardon-murder-warcrimes-20190522-story.html

Even the military leaders don't agree with pardoning war criminals. 

Many of the countries on the list of most obese countries are Sunni and Arab countries. Due to this, I believe that Shias are focusing a lot on discouraging eating too much. I feel that over weight people are especially considered as less pious among Shias, they are considered people who have no control over their desires.

But that's not neccesarily true, because then that means models and actresses are most pious since they are capable of starving themselves. People who eat less, are cranky and mean, and they take their frustrations out on others. Also, people who care more about getting popular or getting attention from opposite gender, are more likely to give up food to look good. People may eat more because of the reason that they are modest, stuck in unhappy relationships and they are not able to find happiness elsewhere, that's why they find comfort in food.

I remember the only time I started eating less was the time when I was very happy and my emotional needs were fullfilled.

I am just saying that it's very wrong to generalize that people, who eat more, are in lower spiritual state and they are unable to control their desires. Shias do that because Sunnis tend to be more obese and we just want to do everything opposite to Sunnis but we conveniently forget that Sunnis are more modest.

Every person is struggling, it's wrong to put so much focus on people who eat more. Women, who get more complements from men, find it easier to starve themselves and lose more and more weight. 

Edited by rkazmi33

8 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I was wondering what the difference was. Now I know...thanks to my opposite number, the other grandma...SG's mom.

oh, there is some music in this, if that's an issue.

hi, he is making fun about it because Israelis are changing every Palestinian tradition & stuff  to Israeli  to make a false history for themselves in Palestine to relate everything there to legislation of Israel & people forgot Palestine ,also we are not zealot about music & we are ok with such musics in backgrounds of videos the only objection about music is about musics that are for dancing or just entertainment like as   MTV clips & musics also K-Pop clips are very popular between new Muslim generation between both of Shias & Sunnis but I don't any difference between K-POP & MTV anyway the people that know every type of music problematic are  Salafis or Waahbis 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Yes, I know. I thought it was a scream. The Arab woman who is the "other grandma " has a great sense of humor. This was just one of the videos she sent I thought I would enjoy sharing. I was just advised to warn folks about music first. I didn't think traditional would be too much of an issue, though. :)

@Darth Vader

Anyone who can help me with figuring out how to install windows on new m.2 ssd?

Basically I got the crucial m.2 ssd 250gb. installed it on my laptop and installed windows. I expected the PC to boot normally, but to my surprise, I was welcomed with a windows error 0xc00000e

I did do not get that error on the original hard drive, which is confusing. I reinstalled windows on both drives and  still got the error on ssd. I then removed the hard drive and tried fresh reinstalling windows again, but the moment the installation is finished, I end up with the same freaking windows error after the laptop automatically restarts.

I think im going to destroy another mouse soon lol, help.

Edited by laithAlIRAQI

On 5/23/2019 at 11:13 AM, rkazmi33 said:

Many of the countries on the list of most obese countries are Sunni and Arab countries

The Arabs in the oil producing countries have a very lazy and unhealthy lifestyle in general. 

I believe that Shias are focusing a lot on discouraging eating too much. I feel that over weight people are especially considered as less pious among Shias, they are considered people who have no control over their desires.

Absolutely correct and Alhumdollilah for this. 

But that's not neccesarily true, because then that means models and actresses are most pious since they are capable of starving themselves.

1. It's the intention,whether you eat less with the intention of not getting lazy for ibadah or to turn into an anorexic size zero person who can strut half naked on the red carpet and runway.

2.It's not just eating less it's also sleeping less,talking less and so on. The key thing here is exercising self control.

Sunnis but we conveniently forget that Sunnis are more modest.

How so? And isn't this a generalisation by itself?

Bottom line, every person should strive to be healthy for his own sake and not for people's opinions.  

3 hours ago, laithAlIRAQI said:

I think im going to destroy another mouse soon lol, help.

Salam if your pc main hdd was not SSD you must change configuration from bios ,but it’s different on any pc you can find general help in this link 

https://windowsreport.com/pc-error-0xc00000e/

7 minutes ago, starlight said:

Absolutely correct and Alhumdollilah for this. 

Salam it’s a general belief between Shias but unfortunately we see obesity problem in countries like as Iran between Shia Muslim society due to infection of western life style that is affecting whole world on people but mostly religious people have healthier life .

Edited by Ashvazdanghe