Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2019

Rate this topic

Guest question
5 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

ItK6voM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Very handsome. A lot of humans will be over this cat even though he's a cat. That's another fascinating area of biology. 

8 hours ago, Guest question said:

Very handsome. A lot of humans will be over this cat even though he's a cat. That's another fascinating area of biology. 

Cats are more like us than you'd think. A 2007 study found that about 90 per cent of the genes in the Abyssinian domestic cat are similar to humans.

https://www.independent.co.United Kingdom/news/science/human-dna-share-cats-cattle-mice-same-genetics-code-a8292111.html

Guest question
On 5/11/2019 at 2:35 AM, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Maybe a study needs to be done on masculine features indicating high testosterone and this cat, and why certain populations of human beings, tend to oggle over animals as they do with a select top bracket in their own species. Would be a great study. Behind the 'awwws' and the 'handsome' and the 'beautiful' is a pretty primitive urge.

48 minutes ago, Guest question said:

Maybe a study needs to be done on masculine features indicating high testosterone and this cat, and why certain populations of human beings, tend to oggle over animals as they do with a select top bracket in their own species. Would be a great study. Behind the 'awwws' and the 'handsome' and the 'beautiful' is a pretty primitive urge.

Loyalty is a quality found in dogs, so if you are a loyal person, you are compared to dogs. But if you are over confident, entitled and always looking for something better (not loyal), you are like a cat. I can only love few people and I am extremely loyal to them and that's why I often get my heart broken. Many people have compared me to a dog because of these qualities. I have now decided that loyalty is a good quality and I will embrace it. I won't change it just because this quality is found in dogs and people compare me to dog because of this quality. 

Edited by rkazmi33

Guest question
20 minutes ago, rkazmi33 said:

Loyalty is a quality found in dogs, so if you are a loyal person, you are compared to dogs. But if you are over confident, entitled and always looking for something better (not loyal), you are like a cat. I can only love few people and I am extremely loyal to them and that's why I often get my heart broken. Many people have compared me to a dog because of these qualities. I have now decided that loyalty is a good quality and I will embrace it. I won't change it just because this quality is found in dogs and people compare me to dog because of this quality. 

Overbearing mother-in-laws who turn good women into those who suffer from PTSD on account of abuse will have Allah to answer to. 

1 hour ago, Guest question said:

I disagree. I believe we are just admiring the creation. 

Humans have been keeping domesticated animals longer than they've been farming - appreciation for a handsome creature is not unlikely genetic. A healthy animal will do better hunting, produce better eggs or milk, or taste better, plus it's likely to be more easily handled, reducing risk to your clan. 

Edited by notme
Typo

Guest Question
4 minutes ago, notme said:

I disagree. I believe we after just admiring the creation. 

Humans have been keeping domesticated animals longer than they've been farming - appreciation for a handsome creature is not unlikely genetic. A healthy animal will do better hunting, produce better eggs or milk, or taste better, plus it's likely to be more easily handled, reducing risk to your clan. 

I don't disagree with you. I think there's maybe a deeper reverence for beauty in general, and symmetry , and we know that nature is actually predicated on that. However, when it comes to calling a face beautiful, sometimes human beings might be admiring things similar in feature to what they are programmed to admire in the opposite sex. It would be silly for me to say admiring animals is wrong, but there's a possibility.

This really is the elephant in the room with easily predictable behaviours if one reads the literature on this (or the Qur'an and the story of the women of Yusuf, and how they lost all morals when a genetically upper-bracket male was presented to them which is the reality if we go to the roots).

I have always maintained that while social factors are important in why women tend to be more modest then men, many studies have in my view, convincingly proven and are backed by theoretical science that women tend to go after the top bracket of men genetically. The Surah of Yusuf is a demonstration of that, where many men may have been tempted by her, women tend to be hyper responsive to the top bracket. She was so confident she introduced him to her friends, and they were biologically programmed to respond to certain features like she was. Allah is laying this all out in the open as a lesson to both men and women, not just men.

I wish I could unlearn some of this. That's one of the curses of studying too much biology, because our baseless nature is just so apparent, which is why Islam is so beautiful in bringing balance and directing us to what is higher. Without Allah and the beautiful religion of Islam, I wouldn't mind armageddon on the lot of existence to be frank with you.

@Guest Question: 

I think maybe you define the word beautiful differently from me! It's pretty universally accepted that sunsets are beautiful - are you implying that sunsets set off some sort of sexual trigger? I'm really hoping a language difference is occurring here. 

Perhaps you've read and internalized too much Freud. Beauty is about perfection and awe, not finding a mate. 

Guest Question
12 minutes ago, notme said:

@Guest Question: 

I think maybe you define the word beautiful differently from me! It's pretty universally accepted that sunsets are beautiful - are you implying that sunsets set off some sort of sexual trigger? I'm really hoping a language difference is occurring here. 

Perhaps you've read and internalized too much Freud. Beauty is about perfection and awe, not finding a mate. 

I think everything is on a continuum, and nature itself, even from very basic building blocks, does seem entertained in number and symmetry. These have perhaps been indicators of a functioning system, and asymmetry seen to be an aberration from that. Beauty itself is both objective and subjective, and this discussion also relies on context.

Admiring an animals facial features may be loosely linked to very similar sets of instincts which also make us admire certain features in human beings, including members of the opposite sex. Sometimes, when someone calls an animal 'handsome' , often that animal has masculine features, which are not too dissimilar to those coveted by males and chased by females in the human population. 

A lot of this may be false, but I feel despite that, theres is some core truth here.

Even when it comes to the debate surrounding whether men or women are more modest, the answer is, one is not more modest than the other, one is just pickier. Men will do with most women and studies have shown a man would tend to be content with most women, whereas women who have more to lose rate many and or most men as unattractive, and go after the top bracket in terms of predictable features coded for by genetics. 

Allah dedicates an entire Surah where he feels it necessary to mention how one women chased a man he himself programmed to chase such a man with such features, and how there is such concordance that other women programmed to also covet such features had a hyper response to that same man. People tend to think the story of Yusuf (عليه السلام) is a lesson just for men and chastity, but it is also a warning women and exposing their nature too, which is why both men and women are commanded to lower their gaze. Yes, women will tend not to find most men attractive generally, but the minority they do I feel , like Nabi Yusuf (عليه السلام) is an example of what can go wrong if that doesn't happen.

Men and women can't be friends, because most men will develop feelings biologically, or women may if the man is sufficiently desirable (not just genetically, but socially too).

@Guest Question, In your opinion what would an appropriate 'optimum testosterone level' response of a male on seeing a feline?

Guest Question
8 minutes ago, starlight said:

@Guest Question, In your opinion what would an appropriate 'optimum testosterone level' response of a male on seeing a feline?

If anyone has or notices such feelings, they should lower their gaze. This applies to women with women, men with men, or one species with another.  When Allah is asking us to lower our gaze, that is the most effective and pragmatic action possible and I preach to myself first. He himself has programmed us to have certain responses.

I ask you: how was it that Nabi Yusuf (عليه السلام) with little wealth at the time was trying to be seduced by a woman who was so confident her friends would also have a similar biological response to him? It is the physical exterior, and deeply rooted instincts in those women and women today, which gives rise to very powerful biological instincts also found in the animal kingdom as a whole. Almost everything is linked to reproduction , survival and the passing of our genes. 

When the look happens, so does that chain reaction whether one wants to or not. That is why those who are gifted genetically often command automatic respect and go further and higher, and not just in mating or marriage. 

Obviously nobody on here has any response worth noting to animals, but the typical features we find beautiful in them may also exist similarly in human beings, and at times, what we covet in the opposite gender.

12 minutes ago, Guest Question said:

If anyone has or notices such feelings, they should lower their gaze. This applies to women with women, men with men, or one species with another

What feelings?? Oh come on!

Are you saying if my sister and friend(I am a female) are dressed up one day and looking especially beautiful I should lower my gaze? Or if I find myself 'awwing' at newly hatched chicks it could be that there is some deep underlying attraction of sexual nature towards them and because pedophilia is a real thing so I shouldn't find babies cute? Should I lower my gaze with my children too because you know incest....

One has to be sick to think such things..

Guest Question
2 minutes ago, starlight said:

What feelings?? Oh come on!

Are you saying if my sister and friend(I am a female) are dressed up one day and looking especially beautiful I should lower my gaze? Or if I find myself 'awwing' at newly hatched chicks it could be that there is some deep underlying attraction of sexual nature towards them and because pedophilia is a real thing so I shouldn't find babies cute? Should I lower my gaze with my children too because you know incest....

One has to be sick to think such things..

Of course not.

However we have to acknowledge some men are attracted to men, some women with women, do we not? For such people, they need to lower their gaze. Some human beings also have a depraved fascination with animals. This is why I said I don't believe anyone on here has any problems of that kind. However if a human being felt attracted in that way - as has been documented - towards the same sex or animal, why should they not lower their gaze?

1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

What are the rulings regarding the recitation of the holy Qur'an or the touching of it for a woman who is menstruating?

She can recite all except the verses which require sajda, but she may not touch the text. 

https://www.Sistani.org/english/qa/01296/

The Shia Muslim scholars and speakers attended the annual gathering at the Islamic Centre of England.

The respected attendees came from across the country including Scotland, Wales, Ireland and various cities in England. 

They gather to discuss the topics which touch the lives of the community most. This year Education and particularity the introduction of the subject of RSE was seen to be the most concerning for the community.

IMG_0526.JPG

Just now I realised that almost everyday I fall asleep reading ShiaChat in bed.

Some of the old ShiaChat threads make such grown up good bedtime stories. :D 

3 hours ago, Nevsevug said:

Are you allowed to say Shiachat names in Salat ul Layl? Lol

Why not. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and His angels knows who is starlight, just saying.:rolleyes:

19 hours ago, notme said:

She can recite all except the verses which require sajda, but she may not touch the text. 

https://www.Sistani.org/english/qa/01296/

Isnt there a limitation to the amount of ayahs she can recite while on period? I have heard something like that before.

15 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

Isnt there a limitation to the amount of ayahs she can recite while on period? I have heard something like that before.

I've heard that too, but couldn't find reference to it online. When I get home I'll look at my books, inshallah, and if someone knows where to find that reference if it exists, hopefully they will post it.