Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2019

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, notme said:

:rolleyes:

Men and their obsession with looking young! 

Honestly speaking, I think some men and women are as bad as each other these days. So much pressure from social media and societal expectations to look and behave in a certain way. 

1 minute ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Honestly speaking, I think some men and women are as bad as each other these days. So much pressure from social media and societal expectations to look and behave in a certain way. 

I agree, but really I was just kind of joking. The reversal from the usual amused me. 

@notme According to Ayatollah Sistani, only intentional vomiting invalidates fast; however even if you feel vomit coming involuntarily, you should try to hold it as best as you can. 

22 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

@notme According to Ayatollah Sistani, only intentional vomiting invalidates fast; however even if you feel vomit coming involuntarily, you should try to hold it as best as you can. 

I didn't know that. Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, starlight said:

@Propaganda_of_the_Deed  Any other animal lovers!

:titanic: SOS!  

A cat left her new born kitten outside our kitchen this morning. We kept it in a cardboard box all morning hoping she would return to feed it but apparently she has abandoned it. What should we feed him? We don't get special liquid baby cat food/milk where we live. Shall I give it diluted cow milk through a syringe?

Help, If it dies my kids will start Muharram in Ramadan. 

I’m a total animal lover and I really hope the kitten is ok. :love:

Hopefully the brother can give you advice as he’s a cat owner.

Do keep us updated, I think regardless of the heat in Pakistan, he may need something warm around him as they usually snuggle up to the mum (my colleague just told me!).

1 hour ago, starlight said:

@Propaganda_of_the_Deed  Any other animal lovers!

:titanic: SOS!  

A cat left her new born kitten outside our kitchen this morning. We kept it in a cardboard box all morning hoping she would return to feed it but apparently she has abandoned it. What should we feed him? We don't get special liquid baby cat food/milk where we live. Shall I give it diluted cow milk through a syringe?

Help, If it dies my kids will start Muharram in Ramadan. 

Pleeeeease do not give them milk, it is a common misconception. They will drink it but it gives cats diarrhea.

Water and kitten cat food from a store should do.

You can also buy milk specfically for kittens as a replacement. If not try your local vet, even better if they can be checked up on.

89566011_0_1280x1280.jpg?identifier=1544

Yes and updates please, preferabbly with pics!

Insha'Allah they will be fine

This link should be helpful:

https://www.wikihow.pet/Care-for-an-Abandoned-Kitten

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

@starlight oh my, how is the kitten now?

Not cow milk, but perhaps goat milk, I'm not sure. First try giving it really soft cooked chicken or other meat. How old/big is it? 

Edit: I found this page. https://kittenrescue.org/2017/03/recipes-emergency-kitten-formula/

Edited by notme

Firstly I want to apologize to everyone for my weirdly random posts lol

so, I was thinking, why is it such a bad thing in the West for cousins to marry? Recent research has suggested there isn’t that much of an impact on children from cousin marriages than we thought. :

In the general population, the risk that a child will be born with a serious problem like spina bifida or cystic fibrosis is 3 percent to 4 percent; to that background risk, first cousins must add another 1.7 to 2.8 percentage points, the report said.

Although the increase represents a near doubling of the risk, the result is still not considered large enough to discourage cousins from having children, said Dr.. Arno Motulsky, a professor emeritus of medicine and genome sciences at the University of Washington, and the senior author of the report.

''In terms of general risks in life it's not very high,'' Dr.. Motulsky said. Even at its worst, 7 percent, he said, ''93 percent of the time, nothing is going to happen.''

Dr.. Motulsky said medical geneticists had known for a long time that there was little or no harm in cousins marrying and having children. ''Somehow, this hasn't become general knowledge,'' even among doctors, he said.”

25 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

It looks like there's an eye on the side of her head :shock:

Dajjali kitty? :grin:

That's her rolled up ear, but yes,it very much looks like a huge eye.

1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

You want to visit Bradford mate.

It is an issue if perpetuated over generations.

Actually I’ve seen a documentary on that, it’s really sad. Those people definitely should stop. I know families who have been intermarrying for generations and are perfectly fine, while one other family I know who does the same isn’t. Perhaps when there are already certain diseases present then intermarrying gives the children a higher risk of them? I’m not saying we should all do it (I would never myself) but the West makes it look as if it is the most disgusting and backward thing. Just a couple generations ago they all did the same.

@Nevsevug if you look at the family trees of European royalty and the genetic problems they had, it becomes clear why The West considers cousin marriage almost incest. But you're absolutely right that it's only harmful after repeated generations. Everyone should marry the person who is best suited for them, whether it is a cousin, or someone from halfway around the world. 

2 hours ago, Nevsevug said:

Firstly I want to apologize to everyone for my weirdly random posts lol

so, I was thinking, why is it such a bad thing in the West for cousins to marry? Recent research has suggested there isn’t that much of an impact on children from cousin marriages than we thought. :

In the general population, the risk that a child will be born with a serious problem like spina bifida or cystic fibrosis is 3 percent to 4 percent; to that background risk, first cousins must add another 1.7 to 2.8 percentage points, the report said.

Although the increase represents a near doubling of the risk, the result is still not considered large enough to discourage cousins from having children, said Dr... Arno Motulsky, a professor emeritus of medicine and genome sciences at the University of Washington, and the senior author of the report.

''In terms of general risks in life it's not very high,'' Dr... Motulsky said. Even at its worst, 7 percent, he said, ''93 percent of the time, nothing is going to happen.''

Dr... Motulsky said medical geneticists had known for a long time that there was little or no harm in cousins marrying and having children. ''Somehow, this hasn't become general knowledge,'' even among doctors, he said.”

Because of diseases like Tay Sachs:

TAY SACH’S DISEASE

There are a number of recessive alleles present in every human being but they are not in homozygous condition. But when siblings or cousins choose to mate with one another then the chance of accumulation of the same recessive alleles is increased to a great extent. but If a person chooses to mate with someone random in a population then the chances of that individual to be heterozygous is greatly reduced. Tay sach’s disease is a condition in which there is a deffective gene at chromosome 15. Normally this gene produces an enzyme which breaks down gangliosin which otherwise gets accumulated in the brain and causes death of the patient at an early age of 4 or 5.

Symptoms
  • Rapidly declining development
  • Weakening of muscles
  • Loss of motor skills
  • Blindness
  • Deafness
  • Inability to swallow or chew
  • Mental retardation
  • Paralysis
  • Dementia

There is still no cure to be found for this disease.

^ If there is no cure, then people should find ways to prevent it. (e.g. Marrying outside the family)

1 hour ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

@starlight

:salam:

How is the kitty doing today? Have you given him a name? :) 

Billy, obviously.

I had a Muslim colleague at work who was called Billy, he was one of those conscientious people who like to make life easier for non-Muslims' pronunciation. Apparently, he was born with light coloured eyes and his mum called him 'billai' (because it reminded her of a cat's eyes), which was anglicised when he went to school.

Anyway, Billy's name used to really wind-up the head of a partner Arab organisation we used to deal with. That Arab colleague (whose own name was not too far removed from Muawiya), used to tell Billy, "look at Haji, he keeps his proper Muslim name and you are a sell-out ... (even though you are a good Sunni and he's a rafidhi Shia)". He didn't say the bit in brackets, but it was always an undercurrent in our discussions.

Edited by Haji 2003

2 hours ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

@starlight

:salam:

How is the kitty doing today? Have you given him a name? :) 

Wasalam, it's Mother came for it late last night and took him away. Kids are sad, I am relieved. It was too tiny and needed constant care.

We are all missing 'Murphy' (daughter chose it,said it's a very cat-appropriate name) :D

We have left the cardboard box out in the hopes that her mum keeps bringing the little guy back for visits and sleepovers.

31 minutes ago, starlight said:

Wasalam, it's Mother came for it late last night and took him away. Kids are sad, I am relieved. It was too tiny and needed constant care.

We are all missing 'Murphy' (daughter chose it,said it's a very cat-appropriate name) :D

We have left the cardboard box out in the hopes that her mum keeps bringing the little guy back for visits and sleepovers.

That’s really lovely, may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you. I love hearing about when animals have been helped, it really warms my heart.

1 minute ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

The little guy is soooooo scared :(

Awww..  he will be okay. Post a picture if possible. We all want to see him.

1 hour ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Look at those gorgeous eyes! Shooooo cute!! :love::love::love:

Does he have a name?

the lady I bought him from name him Rowan but I might change it. he’s out and about and chewing through my wires. Rascal 

Edited by Ibn Al-Shahid