Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaChat Mod

Thoughts 2019

Rate this topic

On 1/5/2019 at 1:32 AM, Hameedeh said:

We heard on the news about Muslims who were newly elected and were being sworn in while putting their hand on the Holy Qur'an owned by Thomas Jefferson (instead of the Bible as most have done).

What book do atheists use?

1 hour ago, baqar said:

What book do atheists use?

38 minutes ago, baqar said:

No, brother, I am sure they don't use it for the oath-taking ceremony.

In the US, when a newly elected official is taking the oath of office, if they have a Holy Book, they are free to bring it, but it's optional, not required. 

How many times in the past has a Muslim asked at ShiaChat if something is haram because the label has an ambiguous word (like glycerin) in it and they thought it is animal in origin? With the increase of people around the world choosing to be vegetarian or vegan, companies have started to use the term "vegetable glycerin" in their ingredient label. Times are changing. 

14 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Times are changing.

It is not only that but many food products are now  increasingly carrying the 'Vegetarian' and 'Vegan' logos on packaging. I find this useful living in the west because I don’t think well known brands or supermarkets would take the risk of being sued in court. 

Edited by Murtaza1

5 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

My grandson is learning three languages, but seems to want to create his own. Today he came over to help walk the " wow-wow" and feed the " bok-boks".

That's universal communication. Maybe even the wow-wow and bok-boks can understand. 

My daughter's first word was "meow". (She's seven now.)

@Hameedeh @notme So I just got back from the store. One lady whom I know only by sight at the market (not really an acquaintance) came up to me to tell me she had seen DD and SG strolling the baby and how refreshing it was that DD had married " such a good Catholic boy". 

???????????

So I'm thinking....why did she think he was Catholic?

Because DD is?

Because they already have a child?

Because he's brown?

Was still figuring out how to ask, but then  she explained....

It's  because he always has his " rosary". 

Mystery solved.

#things-that-look-like-other-things-but-aren't 

3 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Just left.

Beautiful reciters mashAllah.

No food offered, just snacks that you have to pay for.

Also I miss being around fellow Shia. You really notice how "mute" Sunni events are in comparison. No salawats :(

I had to stay awakwardly seated while everyone got up for maghrib. When I eventually did, I realised I had a few people praying behind me as a jamah....after salams I had to turn my head to the sides for their sakes...couldn't leave em hanging lol

2 things guaranteed in our gatherings:

Free food and salawat 

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

12 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

I had to stay awakwardly seated while everyone got up for maghrib. When I eventually did, I realised I had a few people praying behind me as a jamah....after salams I had to turn my head to the sides for their sakes...couldn't leave em hanging lol

I know the feeling but I wouldn't turn my head although I may seek an alternative to using a turba in case some misguided ones seem aggressive and observant to me while praying together 

3 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

@Hameedeh @notme

Because he's brown?

Was still figuring out how to ask, but then  she explained....

It's  because he always has his " rosary".

A similar thing happened to me two days ago. I was in a restaurant and a man at the counter had raw clay beads wrapped on his wrist and I thought wow, that looks like the Shia tasbih. I looked at his face and he was blonde and white. I looked at his wrist again then looked at him again and thought maybe he was Catholic. I certainly would never ask anyone in the US if he was a Muslim! 

7 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

I know the feeling but I wouldn't turn my head although I may seek an alternative to using a turba in case some misguided ones seem aggressive and observant to me while praying together 

I say alternative to turba but I don't know what the alternative would be apart from using a natural earthly object such as a leaf. Recently I heard we cannot use our palm (hand) but I previously thought we are allowed. Can somebody correct me?

Edited by Murtaza1

6 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

A similar thing happened to me two days ago. I was in a restaurant and a man at the counter had raw clay beads wrapped on his wrist and I thought wow, that looks like the Shia tasbih. I looked at his face and he was blonde and white. I looked at his wrist again then looked at him again and thought maybe he was Catholic. I certainly would never ask anyone in the US if he was a Muslim! 

There are other faiths that use various forms of "prayer beads", so it's hard to say. I didn't " out" SG either.  He and his family can do that themselves if they want. Tangent to this: As I've said before, I do have one friend who is Albanian-American. Platinum blonde, ice-blue eyes. Her family has been Muslim for centuries. Seems a lot of other Muslims always think she's a convert. Apparently she isn't amused  by this any more. Seems a woman from India found out she was Muslim , made that assumption, and came up to tell her that her family from India had been Muslim for " over a hundred years" and , if she needed any help, just to ask her. My friend gently retorted " only 100 years? Well, if YOUR  family needs any help, MY  family has been Muslim for MUCH LONGER and we'd be happy to give YOU some help if you need it!" 

Religious life in America...it's a quandry sometimes.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

Just a thought and I was airing this to my mother: What is up with the obsession with "free" things. Doesn't anybody think nowadays? Nothing is ever truly free, there is always a catch, effort or a consequence involved. Especially with "free"  Islamic education. I know some brothers and sisters, especially like to download PDF files of Islamic  books because it's free and Islamic knowledge should be free (In theory).

However, I think that parents rein in their children and remind them that there is no such thing as free and to be careful downloading off the Internet. You do not know what's truly out there. Please, I'm begging you as a warner. We just went through a thing where my brother  had two friends downloading some kind of illegal files  to play computer games and it latched on to our internet. If it can happen there, the potential is there in PDFs and other "free" materials

Tell your youth that it is perfectly ok and sometimes better to pay for Islamic material, courses and lessons. Much more constructive than illegally playing Grand Theft Auto and Skidrow and having files mess with a stranger's internet and no, you do not need a great, big library of Islamic books. Just one or two, so you can digest the material.

1 hour ago, Murtaza1 said:

I say alternative to turba but I don't know what the alternative would be apart from using a natural earthly object such as a leaf. Recently I heard we cannot use our palm (hand) but I previously thought we are allowed. Can somebody correct me?

I often use a clay tasbih if I don’t have my turbah. 

2 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

You can use a sheet of paper.

Also other than praying directly onto Earth, the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) would prostrate on a palm leaf mat that is just big enough for the hands and face, called a khumra. 100% natural material.

I have seen some Sunni narrations that also mention praying on a haseer, which is a small prayer mat made of palm leaves too. At home in addition to a regular prayer rug, I have a small tatami prayer mat. Similar to those beach/picnic mats you find.

I have one of these and brought it to the local Sunni masjid before. You are following a Sunnah so no one can say "bidah!"

51TuJhISUOL.jpg

As for praying on hands I have heard it is not allowed also. Though I am almost certain Sistani said it can be a last resort.

@Murtaza1 @Propaganda_of_the_Deed

I often notice with some Sunni (perhaps more wahabi) females that they stand incredibly close to the next female whilst praying (I am talking invading personal space close!) I was at a conference a few weeks ago and I went to pray, a lady came in after me and stood so very close. I was quite uncomfortable and her elbow was touching my arm, I then accidentally shoved her arm whilst going into sujood. : ( 

Have you ever noticed brothers standing so very close to you guys? 

9 minutes ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

I often notice with some Sunni (perhaps more wahabi) females that they stand incredibly close to the next female whilst praying (I am talking invading personal space close!) I was at a conference a few weeks ago and I went to pray, a lady came in after me and stood so very close. I was quite uncomfortable and her elbow was touching my arm, I then accidentally shoved her arm whilst going into sujood. : ( 

Yes happens a lot, "feet to feet, shoulder to shoulder, fill the gaps, don't let shaytaan in" etc. :rolleyes:

It was funny though last night, as I was praying by myself, and I noticed someone place their jacket next to me and stand behind...I was thinking, of all this space why pray here?, until it dawned on me I was inadertedly leading a jamaa'. Can you imagine what they must have been thinking when I raised my hands in qunut lol

2 hours ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Yes I remember years ago at eid prayers at mosque I almost hurt myself as I was praying too close to the person near me. The mosque was very crowded with people. 

Edited by Murtaza1

5 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

You can use a sheet of paper.

Also other than praying directly onto Earth, the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) would prostrate on a palm leaf mat that is just big enough for the hands and face, called a khumra. 100% natural material.

I have seen some Sunni narrations that also mention praying on a haseer, which is a small prayer mat made of palm leaves too. 

Yes but finding 100% genuine items is difficult in our society these days. 

3 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

Do you know when and who invented the concept of the tasbeeh? It's interesting because many different religions use it. 

As in the rosary beads themselves? Yes, many world religions do use it. Well, internet sources say different things, care to share what you know?

1 hour ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

As in the rosary beads themselves? Yes, many world religions do use it. Well, internet sources say different things, care to share what you know?

In Christianity, particularly in Orthodoxy/Eastern churches, the beads are a part of the Heychasm prayer and amount to 33,symbolizing the age Isa (عليه السلام) was when he was crucified.

I find it rather similar to the Tasbih of Fatima uz Zahra (sa)

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar
Forgot "the"

5 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Crucifed but never died like Christians claim. ^

And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

4:157

14 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

4:157

Ah, thanks.