Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ali-F

Why does a child not become sâyid if his mother is a sâyeda but not father?

Rate this topic

Salam alâykum wa rahmatallahi wa barkatu. Inshallah khâyr.

If a non-sâyid woman marries a sâyid man their children become sâyed/sâyeda. 

However, if a non-sâyed man marries a sâyeda their children don't become sâyed/sâyeda. 

What is the reason for this? 

And I ask Allah to protect you all. 

3 hours ago, Ali-F said:

However, if a non-sâyed man marries a sâyeda their children don't become sâyed/sâyeda. 

I think they are called Fatimi Syed.

I don't know who has set this rule and what is it origin but it is not understandable.

From logic point of view biological view could be sperm is of a non syed so that is why the children are not syeds but then mother's portion is also involved in child's growth while inside her body so half syeds maybe or full syed which ever way, I cannot say much but I personally think those who have syed mothers and non syed fathers are syeds as because on the day of judgement people will be raised by their mother's name.

@Salsabeel @skyweb1987 

السَّلآمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ الله وبَرَكآتُه 

Dear brothers,

Hope you are fine إِنْ شَاء َ اللَّه

Would you like to add/share something on this topic?.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:29 AM, ShiaMan14 said:

I think they are called Fatimi Syed.

Salam they are called "Mir" that is shortened of " Amir " the word A drops because their father not Sayed.

7 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam they are called "Mir" that is shortened of " Amir " the word A drops because their father not Sayed.

Mir are Syed.

People with only a Syed mother are called Mirza

On 12/31/2018 at 4:41 AM, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

Would you like to add/share something on this topic?.

Salamun Alaikum Brother! 

Thank you for tagging me, unfortunately I am very busy now a days so unable to participate regularly here on Shiachat. 

In the case where Mother & Father both are Syed, the child is called Najeeb-ut-Tarfayn Syed means Syed from both Mother & Father sides. 
In case where Father is Syed while mother is not, the child is still called Syed. 
In case where Mother is Syed while father is not, the child is not a Syed. The reason for this perhaps is a verse of Quran where Allah (s.w.t) has commanded us to call the adopted children by the names of their fathers:

ادْعُوهُمْ لِآبَائِهِمْ هُوَ أَقْسَطُ عِندَ اللَّهِ فَإِن لَّمْ تَعْلَمُوا آبَاءهُمْ فَإِخْوَانُكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ
33:5

If you see this matter biologically, you will see that the female ovum being captured/occupied by male sperm(s), who cause the fertilization of that ovum. The female ovum here is like a castle and male sperms like foreign soldiers who launch attack on that castle to capture it. Out of millions of sperms, very few are able to fertilize the ovum. Most of the time their attack got failed as males inject sperms multiple times to fertilize the ovum/egg. In very rare cases the ovum get fertilized in a single intercourse. So here we observe the domination of male sperm in process of fertilization of female ovum. Perhaps this is the reason why 33:5 commands us to call the children from the names of their father. 

Wallaho A'alam.  

9 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

In the case where Mother & Father both are Syed, the child is called Najeeb-ut-Tarfayn Syed means Syed from both Mother & Father sides. 
In case where Father is Syed while mother is not, the child is still called Syed. 
In case where Mother is Syed while father is not, the child is not a Syed. The reason for this perhaps is a verse of Quran where Allah (s.w.t) has commanded us to call the adopted children by the names of their fathers:

Very truly quoted words

26 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Salamun Alaikum Brother! 

Thank you for tagging me, unfortunately I am very busy now a days so unable to participate regularly here on Shiachat. 

ادْعُوهُمْ لِآبَائِهِمْ هُوَ أَقْسَطُ عِندَ اللَّهِ فَإِن لَّمْ تَعْلَمُوا آبَاءهُمْ فَإِخْوَانُكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ
33:5

If you see this matter biologically, you will see that the female ovum being captured/occupied by male sperm(s), who cause the fertilization of that ovum. The female ovum here is like a castle and male sperms like foreign soldiers who launch attack on that castle to capture it. Out of millions of sperms, very few are able to fertilize the ovum. Most of the time their attack got failed as males inject sperms multiple times to fertilize the ovum/egg. In very rare cases the ovum get fertilized in a single intercourse. So here we observe the domination of male sperm in process of fertilization of female ovum. Perhaps this is the reason why 33:5 commands us to call the children from the names of their father. 

Wallaho A'alam.  

Well that analogy works for multiple different partners...

anyway, half of the dna from each parent contributes to the child. Both are rather equal when it comes to that(dna,phenotype) In fact the only thing the Sperm mainly does is determine sex. The ovum pretty much does everything else. So here the Y is very important. But equally all the work is in the X(one of which is the woman’s x)

sorry I turned this into biology talk lol rather than the op subject. 

Still with that Ayat I’m still a bit confused? Specially with the science? Because here it’s about blood rather than familial bond? Doesn’t a drop of Syed blood make you a Syed? I would also like clarification! :-)

Edited by Ralvi

2 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

Well that analogy works for multiple partners...

anyway, half of the dna from each parent contributes to the child. Both are ratheir equal when it comes to that(dna,phenotype) In fact the only thing the Sperm mainly does in determine sex. The ovum pretty much does everything else. So here the Y is very imprntany. But equally all the work is in the X(one of which is the woman’s x)

sorry I turned this into biology talk lol rather than the op subject. 

No it is good, we should be talking logically as well.

So if contribution is equal then why is the person non-syed.

I will ask somebody on higher level islamically and get back to you guys.

4 minutes ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

No it is good, we should be talking logically as well.

So if contribution is equal then why is the person non-syed.

I will ask somebody on higher level islamically and get back to you guys.

Looking forward to it! Thanks brother!

18 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

Well that analogy works for multiple partners...

What do you mean by multiple partners? The verse is specifically talking about adopted children.

18 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

anyway, half of the dna from each parent contributes to the child. Both are ratheir equal when it comes to that(dna,phenotype) In fact the only thing the Sperm mainly does in determine sex. The ovum pretty much does everything else. So here the Y is very imprntany. But equally all the work is in the X(one of which is the woman’s x)

I am not talking about DNA. I am talking about the nature of two things a) Ovum b) Sperms and my whole post was based on the observation that it is the sperms who struggle to reach to the ovum and then fertilize it. Ovum itself doesn't do any effort. 

So in that sense, ovum is a loser while sperm is a conqueror.

Edited by Salsabeel
typo

On 12/30/2018 at 1:52 AM, Ali-F said:

Wa aleykumsalaam, 

It is because lineage is only from men not from women, women become part of another lineage after she marry non-sayyed, except in the case of Isa bin Maryam (as) and Holy Prophet's household (as).

Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad and Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from his father all from ibn Mahbub from Hisham ibn Salim from Burayd al-‘Ijliy who has said the following:  

“I once asked abu Ja‘far, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about the words of Allah, most Majestic, most Glorious, ‘He is the one who has created human beings from water, then made him into lineage and in-law relationship.’ (25:54) He (the Imam) said, ‘Allah, most High, created Adam from sweet water and He created his spouse of his kind and carved her from his lower ribs, because of that rib, in-law and lineage relationship came into being. Lineage, O brother of banu ‘Ijl, is when the means are men; and in-laws are when the means are women.’ (Kafi) (Authentic)

A number of our people have narrated from Sahl ibn Ziy ad from Ali ibn al-Hakam from Aban al- Ahmar who has said that I do not know it except from Muy assir Bay y a’ al-Zuttiy who has narrated the following:

“ I once asked abu ‘ Abd Allah, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about the case of women and their share of inheritance. He (the Imam) said, ‘ They can have their share from the value of bricks, building, wood and reeds, but they cannot inherit land and real property.’ I asked about clothes. He (the Imam) said, ‘ They can inherit from clothes.’ I then asked, ‘How is it that for this is the value and for this is the defined land?’ He (the Imam) said, ‘ It is because women do not have their lineage whereby they can inherit. She is an addition on them. It is also because when she gets married and brings her husband or children from another people, it can cause trouble for the heirs.’” (Kafi)

4 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

What do you mean by multiple partners? The verse is specifically talking about adopted children.

I am not talking about DNA. I am talking about the nature of two things a) Ovum b) Sperms and my whole post was based on the observation that it is the sperms who struggle to reach to the ovum and then fertilize it. Ovum itself doesn't do any effort. 

lol salsabeel

Conqueror, soldiers, losers

nice easy way to make people understand.

9 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

I’m sorry I don’t think that really makes any sense. About conquerer or loser. Because that holds true if the woman had multiple partners. If you have one partner, well you will get pregnant from his sperm. Wether you do or not is up to Allah

Without the ovum, there would be no child either. For example if she isn’t ovulating then there would be nothing for the sperm to interact with. Both play a role.

i don’t see how your examples equate to being Sayyid or non sayed...

21 hours ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

lol salsabeel

Conqueror, soldiers, losers

nice easy way to make people understand.

I think you will find the following video helpful in understanding why I have used these non-technical terminologies