Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ali-F

Ayatollah al-Khoei: The greatest scholar of the Imami school?

Rate this topic

I have heard this - if you may call it - claim that Sayed al-Khoei is the greatest scholar of the Imami school. Personally, I think he is in the top 5. Can anyone explain why some might argue for this? 

:salam:

Same reason why I could not comprehend how the less knowledgeable can determine who is the most, I do not think we can discuss this at our level of knowledge.

I tend to appreciate scholars according to their level of courage, be it against enemies of Islam or against corrupt elites amongst politicians or institutions.

Amongst contemporaries of Sayid Al Khoei, I would prefer Sayid al Khomeini, Sayid Fadlallah, Sayid Mohamad Sadiq  al Sadr. Allah bless them, all.

26 minutes ago, realizm said:

Same reason why I could not comprehend how the less knowledgeable can determine who is the most, I do not think we can discuss this at our level of knowledge.

I tend to appreciate scholars according to their level of courage, be it against enemies of Islam or against corrupt elites amongst politicians or institutions.

Amongst contemporaries of Sayid Al Khoei, I would prefer Sayid al Khomeini, Sayid Fadlallah, Sayid Mohamad Sadiq  al Sadr. Allah bless them, all.

Sayed Fadlallah - from what I know - is not considered a mârja by some big scholars.

Edited by Ali-F

Yet he was one ^

He was himself a stronghold for the Shia Islamic Arab resistance.

He escaped assassination attemps, most notably from Zionists KSA USA UK devils altogether.

He helped his community and played an active role in his society.

Thus, I do not care what those big scholars have to say regarding his noble station.

He is still my marja up to this present day - yes I have the right.

3 hours ago, Ali-F said:

I have heard this - if you may call it - claim that Sayed al-Khoei is the greatest scholar of the Imami school. Personally, I think he is in the top 5. Can anyone explain why some might argue for this? 

Yeah I heard similar stuff, like from our time he was definitely one of the greatests.  

14 hours ago, realizm said:

12 hours ago, realizm said:

Yet he was one ^

He was himself a stronghold for the Shia Islamic Arab resistance.

He escaped assassination attemps, most notably from Zionists KSA USA UK devils altogether.

He helped his community and played an active role in his society.

Thus, I do not care what those big scholars have to say regarding his noble station.

He is still my marja up to this present day - yes I have the right.

Brother, with all due respect, from my limited knowledge a marja is a marja due to his extremely great amount of knowledge about the religious laws, fiqh, and the halal and the haram etc. From your messages, it seems like you're prioritizing a marja's sociopolitical activities in determining his position and level...

20 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Brother, with all due respect, from my limited knowledge a marja is a marja due to his extremely great amount of knowledge about the religious laws, fiqh, and the halal and the haram etc. From your messages, it seems like you're prioritizing a marja's sociopolitical activities in determining his position and level...

Dear brother, I hope you are in good health. 

This is true in a way, I am sometimes doubting the use of so much maraji when they are basically all the same in their fatwas, fiqh or whatever. Same foods have been halal and haram for centuries, same rules for wajibats etc...

At least Sayid Fadlallah had lift the complete prohibition on seafood, deemed money liable to zakat, and other courageous fatwas when you consider the pressure of Najaf or Qum.

Maybe when they bring us different perspectives on the Qur'an, or at least differ in their approaches to fiqh, but so far, knowing to wash two or three times a carpet does not change anything to us.

Is there not a hadith that says something along the lines of...If the ignorant keep silent then there would be no disagreement amongst the learned? 

Thus it is not strange that most maraje3 have reached the same conclusions. They are supposed to. 

Edited by Carlzone

1 hour ago, realizm said:

Dear brother, I hope you are in good health. 

This is true in a way, I am sometimes doubting the use of so much maraji when they are basically all the same in their fatwas, fiqh or whatever. Same foods have been halal and haram for centuries, same rules for wajibats etc...

At least Sayid Fadlallah had lift the complete prohibition on seafood, deemed money liable to zakat, and other courageous fatwas when you consider the pressure of Najaf or Qum.

Maybe when they bring us different perspectives on the Qur'an, or at least differ in their approaches to fiqh, but so far, knowing to wash two or three times a carpet does not change anything to us.

I can understand if you subscribe to Sayyid Fadlallah's camp and believe in his views, you'd consider him a marja and defend his views against objections from other marjas. However, the latter part of your argument seems to prioritise constant change as somehow being a requirement for the merit of a scholar or system of scholarship. If the way of doing salah has already been derived correctly, why should there be a new perspective or a new approach to fiqh? Simply being different or 'courageous' is not an indicator of merit. They are good qualities; the courage to go against the majority if they are wrong is good. However, I feel like you are prioritising change and innovation over accuracy and truth. The laws of Islam are not the world of tech; constant change and innovation are not always necessary or fruitful.

8 hours ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

I can understand if you subscribe to Sayyid Fadlallah's camp and believe in his views, you'd consider him a marja and defend his views against objections from other marjas. However, the latter part of your argument seems to prioritise constant change as somehow being a requirement for the merit of a scholar or system of scholarship. If the way of doing salah has already been derived correctly, why should there be a new perspective or a new approach to fiqh? Simply being different or 'courageous' is not an indicator of merit. They are good qualities; the courage to go against the majority if they are wrong is good. However, I feel like you are prioritising change and innovation over accuracy and truth. The laws of Islam are not the world of tech; constant change and innovation are not always necessary or fruitful.

That is what I have wondered too. Why not go akhbari then ?

Well change is a constant thing, hence the need of adapting fiqh. See the example of zakah still bound to grains and coins when the stock exchange today is based on paper, crypto made its way etc. 

Also you talked about innovation, well that is one point I took into consideration. How many innovations were made into shii Islam ? There is IMO a perpetual need for reform, and one has to admit that Lebanon's Jabal Amil has had that tradition for reformism for decades.