Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ali-F

What is your New Year's resolution(s)?

Rate this topic

Here is mine, and inshallah I will stick to it.

(1) Work on my fitness and become more lean. 

(2) Reciting Quran consistently. I really will set days for Quran and will inshallah stick to it.

(3) Being more respectful to parents. I will seriously try my best to make sure they are happy with me. I will try to strengthen my relationship with them.

(4) Will try to be more positive and will smile a lot. There is so much negativity in this world, sometimes having banter and laughing it off can make a massive difference.

(5) Be more organized. Recently at my vacation work, I've learnt the importance of being organized and how it works to your advantage. It's about these little changes which actually make your life easy.

(6) Not getting into pointless debates. I need to realize that people have their own opinions snd sometimes aren't just open to change. I need to value my time and not argue if it's pointless.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

2 hours ago, Ali-F said:

Need to live a healthy lifestyle

Of course this ^ is probably the most popular New Year's resolution.

I moved about a month ago so I would like to sort my books in the bookcase. I need to organize my paper (receipts, letters, documents, etc.). 

13 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Figure out how to be a mom inshaAllah. 

@Hameedeh Sis as well as praying for her, could you please PM @ireallywannaknow with the basics about the birds and the bees.

38 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

@Hameedeh Sis as well as praying for her, could you please PM @ireallywannaknow with the basics about the birds and the bees.

:grin: haha good one :p I have to figure out how to BE a mom, not how to BECOME one lol. 

I need to reuse least year's. I didn't fully accomplish any of them. I did make progress, just not completed, so I'm ok. Progress is the point. 

I have to go check what they were. It's written in the back of my calendar. I know there was one about my cottage remodel and clean up the property, and one about being more sociable. I had several. Perhaps I will be able to check them off if I have fewer. 

This may sound a bit awkward but it is an honest statement.

My new year does not start with this calendar, I follow Islamic Calendar in realising new year and that new year starts with the month of Muharram in which the incident of Karbala took place. 

1 hour ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

My new year does not start with this calendar, I follow Islamic Calendar in realising new year and that new year starts with the month of Muharram in which the incident of Karbala took place

The month of Muharram is not the time to be thinking about yourself. 

"New Year's Resolutions" are just self improvement goals and can (and should) be made at any time. It's just a fun tradition to make them along with others at this time of the solar year. Setting goals publicly and along with others helps many people to stick to them. 

8 hours ago, notme said:

The month of Muharram is not the time to be thinking about yourself. 

"New Year's Resolutions" are just self improvement goals and can (and should) be made at any time. It's just a fun tradition to make them along with others at this time of the solar year. Setting goals publicly and along with others helps many people to stick to them. 

Are you okay?

When did I say month of muharram is the time of setting goals and that is when I set my goals?

Read properly before you comment and don't just assume from your own.

I purposely mentioned karbala with muharram so that people can know I dont set any goals OBVIOUSLY as a shia muslim when the new year starts for me as per my religious calendar and after muharram only things get started.

As for self improvement goals there is no need for 'new year's resolution' as Moula Ali(asws) states that for momin everyday that he does not commit a sin is a day of EID. So self improvement and goals are set everyday and we try to improve everyday. This is my understanding of setting goals, you are free to disagree but don't talk like I am setting goals in muharram, no true shia would do it and it is quite obvious.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:00 AM, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

When did I say month of Muharram is the time of setting goals and that is when I set my goals?

Read properly before you comment and don't just assume from your own.

Could you please point out where I said that you said that? Why so defensive? We're just having a conversation here. I made no accusations or assumptions, just an explanation. 

As I read it, you and I are in agreement:

On 12/30/2018 at 7:15 PM, notme said:

just self improvement goals and can (and should) be made at any time.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:00 AM, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

self improvement and goals are set everyday and we try to improve everyday.

11 hours ago, notme said:

The month of Muharram is not the time to be thinking about yourself

^^^^^ This is where you are quoting my words mentioning my new year starting with muharram.

You should not have mentioned it at all because neither me nor anybody else here was 'thinking about themselves' in muharram.

I am defensive because what you said was offensive.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:06 AM, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

I am defensive because what you said was offensive.

My sincere apologies.

It was not my intention to imply that you or anyone else was thinking of themselves during Muharram, but to point out that although the Islamic calendar starts differently from the Gregorian calendar, there is some value to some people to set goals publicly and at an appointed and shared time, which for many people is traditionally January 1. 

I used to not make new year's resolutions because I was too busy surviving to bother with improvement goals. It's useful to me to organize thoughts and come up with a plan. I'm not accustomed to having that luxury and I don't think of it unless I'm reminded. When one spends many years in survival mode, one forgets how to see a future. Goals are a future. It doesn't have to be January 1, but at January 1 I'm reminded by the society around me.

You may say I am extreme @notme but on a true note we are muslims alhamdulilah and for those who want to make new year resolutions should think about it after the month of muharram and safar has passed away.

We cannot skip the fact by saying that it is just fun tradition, we should not follow christianity rules in terms of starting new year and deciding resolutions when their new year starts.

We follow the shariah of our Prophet Muhammad(saww) not of Nabi Issa(asws).

Just now, notme said:

My sincere apologies.

It was not my intention to imply that you or anyone else was thinking of themselves during Muharram, but to point out that although the Islamic calendar starts differently from the Gregorian calendar, there is some value to some people to set goals publicly and at an appointed and shared time, which for many people is traditionally January 1. 

I used to not make new year's resolutions because I was too busy surviving to bother with improvement goals. It's useful to me to organize thoughts and come up with a plan. I'm not accustomed to having that luxury and I don't think of it unless I'm reminded. When one spends many years in survival mode, one forgets how to see a future. Goals are a future. It doesn't have to be January 1, but at January 1 I'm reminded by the society around me.

No problem, you apologised, So your respect in my heart has increased by this kind act of yours dear brother/sister.

I am sorry too if you mind anything from my side.

jazakALLAH khair.

With love from your brother, Asghar.