SoRoUsH

Weren't Adam and Eve Naked in The Garden?

Rate this topic

Salam, 

يَا بَنِي آدَمَ لَا يَفْتِنَنَّكُمُ الشَّيْطَانُ كَمَا أَخْرَجَ أَبَوَيْكُم مِّنَ الْجَنَّةِ يَنزِعُ عَنْهُمَا لِبَاسَهُمَا لِيُرِيَهُمَا سَوْآتِهِمَا ۗ إِنَّهُ يَرَاكُمْ هُوَ وَقَبِيلُهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا تَرَوْنَهُمْ ۗ إِنَّا جَعَلْنَا الشَّيَاطِينَ أَوْلِيَاءَ لِلَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ

Here's the order of events: 

• Adam and Eve were naked. 
  • Adam and Eve ate from the free, 
  • Adam and Eve covered themselves. 

Something if not right here. 

1. How did Iblis "strip them of their clothing", if they were already naked? 
  2. How did Iblis do so by persuading them to eat food? (Eating food doesn't cause your clothes to come off.)
  3. If Iblis didn't take off their clothes, then why did they cover themselves? 

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

Adam and Eve were naked.

They were not naked (Quran 20:118) 

"Here you have the privilege that you will not be hungry nor will you be unclad"

12 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

How did Iblis do so by persuading them to eat food? (Eating food doesn't cause your clothes to come off.)

Once they succumbed to the temptation they were deprived of the privileges of Jannah, namely food and clothing.

1 minute ago, starlight said:

They were not naked (Quran 20:118) 

"Here you have the privilege that you will not be hungry nor will you be unclad"

Once they succumbed to the temptation they were deprived of the privileges of Jannah, namely food and clothing.

If they were not naked, why did they grab leaves to cover themselves? After eating from the tree.

33 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

If they were not naked, why did they grab leaves to cover themselves? After eating from the tree.

They went naked after they ate from the tree.

56 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

Salam, 

يَا بَنِي آدَمَ لَا يَفْتِنَنَّكُمُ الشَّيْطَانُ كَمَا أَخْرَجَ أَبَوَيْكُم مِّنَ الْجَنَّةِ يَنزِعُ عَنْهُمَا لِبَاسَهُمَا لِيُرِيَهُمَا سَوْآتِهِمَا ۗ إِنَّهُ يَرَاكُمْ هُوَ وَقَبِيلُهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا تَرَوْنَهُمْ ۗ إِنَّا جَعَلْنَا الشَّيَاطِينَ أَوْلِيَاءَ لِلَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ

2. How did Iblis do so by persuading them to eat food? (Eating food doesn't cause your clothes to come off.)

Thanks!

26. O Children of Adam... We have indeed disclosed to you clothing 
(knowledge of the reality) to cover your corporeality and as adornment (treats 
from His bounty)... The clothing for protection is surely the best... This is 
from the signs of Allah, perhaps they will think and take a lesson.
27. O Children of Adam! Do not let Satan tempt you into 
provocation like he removed your parents from Paradise by showing them 
their corporeality and thus stripping them of their clothes (knowledge of the reality)!
For, he and his helpers (all satanic forces that serve the same function) see you 
from a place where you do not see them... We have made the devils 
(corruptive forces – conditioned beliefs based on the five senses) befriend the 
unbelievers.

9 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

Salam, 

Thanks!

Adam and Eve were not naked. They were clothed. When they disobeyed their Lord succumbing to the temptation of Satan, Allah snatched away from them their clothing. After being naked, they started to cover themselves with the leaves of trees of that Garden. When Satan succeeded to tempt both of them to disobey their Lord, as a consequence their garments were stripped off by God. This phenomenon is described as 'Satan stripped them of their clothing' as a figure of speech. Similar types of figure of speech has been used several times in the Quran.

Salam

Tabrisi in Majma' albayan mentions one opinion that their لباس (clothes) was نور (light).  I've not looked into why some have said this, but it suggests something more spiritual that they lost when they disobeyed God.

Here is another (related) possibility.   When we look at others often we miss certain features that are right infront of us, e.g. someone might have brown hair but when we saw them we just didnt register that, or they may have glasses but we see past them.  This is because our attention is focused on a certain aspect of their being but not on others.  Perhaps (and this is my speculation which I give as a logical possibility only) Adam and Hawa were truly naked in the physical sense, but given their proximity to God they didnt register that about each other, because it just didnt matter to them.  Clothes conceal, much like darkness does ( God describes night as لباس) and in this case their taqwa was the concealer - the لباس.  The spiritual outcome of eating from the tree was to become more focused on the material and physical, and so all of a sudden they became naked to each other.

Edited by .InshAllah.

Salaam.

I am not sure if this is from the Christian school of thought or Islam but there is a theory that they were naked but only became aware of their nakedness after eating from there tree.

This may be a bad analogy but think about it this way: an ignorant person doesn't truly realize his ignorance until he gains knowledge to realize how ignorant he was before.

19 hours ago, Raheel Yunus said:

26. O Children of Adam... We have indeed disclosed to you clothing 
(knowledge of the reality) to cover your corporeality and as adornment (treats 
from His bounty)... The clothing for protection is surely the best... This is 
from the signs of Allah, perhaps they will think and take a lesson.
27. O Children of Adam! Do not let Satan tempt you into 
provocation like he removed your parents from Paradise by showing them 
their corporeality and thus stripping them of their clothes (knowledge of the reality)!
For, he and his helpers (all satanic forces that serve the same function) see you 
from a place where you do not see them... We have made the devils 
(corruptive forces – conditioned beliefs based on the five senses) befriend the 
unbelievers.

You can't just write stuff in brackets and assume this is what Allah must have meant. You need to justify your position. Why do you think "clothing" entails "knoiwledge of reality"? Have the Ahlul Bayt (as) given this interpretation? 

God specifically states, in these verses that He has given us clothing to cover our private parts,our physical body parts. Knowledge isn't a physical thing to cover physical private parts. 

18 hours ago, Ralvi said:

They lost Allahs proptection and mercy...

Again, you can't just say stuff and believe it to be true. 

Is there any narration from the Ahlul Bayt (as) that supports this view? If not, then this is a mere conjecture on your part, made up hastily to by-pass an important issue. 

Edited by SoRoUsH

11 hours ago, Follower of Truth said:

Adam and Eve were not naked. They were clothed. When they disobeyed their Lord succumbing to the temptation of Satan, Allah snatched away from them their clothing. After being naked, they started to cover themselves with the leaves of trees of that Garden. When Satan succeeded to tempt both of them to disobey their Lord, as a consequence their garments were stripped off by God. This phenomenon is described as 'Satan stripped them of their clothing' as a figure of speech. Similar types of figure of speech has been used several times in the Quran.

This doesn't make sense.

What is the connection between eating food and losing one's physical clothes? 

We can't just make random assumptions. We need to justify our views through the narrations of Ahlul Bayt (as). 

Understanding the Quran isn't a guessing game. 

5 hours ago, .InshAllah. said:

Salam

Tabrisi in Majma' albayan mentions one opinion that their لباس (clothes) was نور (light).  I've not looked into why some have said this, but it suggests something more spiritual that they lost when they disobeyed God.

Here is another (related) possibility.   When we look at others often we miss certain features that are right infront of us, e.g. someone might have brown hair but when we saw them we just didnt register that, or they may have glasses but we see past them.  This is because our attention is focused on a certain aspect of their being but not on others.  Perhaps (and this is my speculation which I give as a logical possibility only) Adam and Hawa were truly naked in the physical sense, but given their proximity to God they didnt register that about each other, because it just didnt matter to them.  Clothes conceal, much like darkness does ( God describes night as لباس) and in this case their taqwa was the concealer - the لباس.  The spiritual outcome of eating from the tree was to become more focused on the material and physical, and so all of a sudden they became naked to each other.

It's can't be light, because they proceeded to cover their physical private parts. One could say that perhaps they were creatures of light, and their physical body parts were not viewable under the light, and once they are the food, the light disappeared. This implies that their physical bodies, beanth the lights, emanated an immense amount of light to hide their physical bodies underneath. This is an interesting theory, but it needs to be justified through narrations and textual evidence. 

Your second theory is interesting, too. However, Adam and Eve weren't the only creatures in the Garden. Angels and Iblis (if not an other Jinn) were there, too. Walking around completely nude in front of angels and Iblis may not be cnsidered immodest. We can turn your position n a dfferent way and state that modesty wasn't a concern in the Garden. We can assume that Adam and Eve were unaware of their own nudity, but were the angels and Iblis unaware of their nudity, too, or did they simply not care? 

2 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Salaam.

I am not sure if this is from the Christian school of thought or Islam but there is a theory that they were naked but only became aware of their nakedness after eating from there tree.

This may be a bad analogy but think about it this way: an ignorant person doesn't truly realize his ignorance until he gains knowledge to realize how ignorant he was before.

I've heard of  this view. They gained full cnosciousness upon eating from the tree. However, this view entails that prior to eating from the tree, they were not complete conscious human beings, which may bring to question their self-control and free will.

3 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

I've heard of  this view. They gained full cnosciousness upon eating from the tree. However, this view entails that prior to eating from the tree, they were not complete conscious human beings, which may bring to question their self-control and free will.

Consciousness and awareness are different. 

13 hours ago, .InshAllah. said:

This makes the most sense.

It's also consistent with my understanding (see previous threads) from references in the Qur'an to perception and its relationship to sin and taqwa.

8 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

Again, you can't just say stuff and believe it to be true. 

Is there any narration from the Ahlul Bayt (as) that supports this view? If not, then this is a mere conjecture on your part, made up hastily to by-pass an important issue. 

But I’m not just saying stuff though? Its implied in the Quran. I think you’re the one not getting it. Probably a gap in your understanding, which is fine but please don’t imply I’m saying conjecture, it’s not

Anyway, I don’t understand where your concern is coming from? How is it not clear for you? 

Edited by Ralvi

2 hours ago, Ralvi said:

But I’m not just saying stuff though? Its implied in the Quran. I think you’re the one not getting it. Probably a gap in your understanding, which is fine but please don’t imply I’m saying conjecture, it’s not

Anyway, I don’t understand where your concern is coming from? How is it not clear for you? 

It's certainly not implied as different interpretations and opinions exists, yours being a conjecture among many. 

7 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Consciousness and awareness are different. 

Not really, but even if that was so, the same problem remains. Before eating from the tree, they were not complete humans as they did not have full awareness. 

1 hour ago, SoRoUsH said:

It's certainly not implied as different interpretations and opinions exists, yours being a conjecture among many. 

Exactly what’s the conjecture here? Technically what I stated applies to everything. Please explain?

6 minutes ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

@Salsabeel

Perhaps a bit unfortunate dear that people are discussing over Nabi Adam's(asws) and Mother Hawa's(asws) abilities and not pondering on that tree that they ate from?. What was it, why was it prohibited etc etc. What do you say?

I have an interesting theory regarding that ‘apple’(technically fruit)~

Edited by Ralvi