Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Maintaining spirituality at work

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
1 hour ago, aaljibar said:

Jazakallah, we cannot shake hands of women true. but if you are in a situation where it would cause you great difficulty if you didn't, then you can.

Interesting! But I believe once you get the job nothing would put you in difficulty if you refuse to shake hands of the opposite gender.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans
  • Advanced Member
5 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

4) Don't waste time at work, take your job seriously given you're being paid. 

From Sayed Sistani's website:

Question: A Muslim works in a non-Muslim country, in a private office, or in a government office, or on contract for a specific project where he is paid by the hour. Is it permissible for him to waste some hours or work negligently or intentionally delay the job? Does he deserve the full wages?

Answer: This is not allowed; and if one does it, he is not entitled to full wages

Lol maybe sometimes it’s better not to dig so deep.

2 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Lol maybe sometimes it’s better not to dig so deep.

Looks like someone's guilty :confused:, it's alright I was also very guilty of this when working at a fast food restaurant.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Looks like someone's guilty :confused:, it's alright I was also very guilty of this when working at a fast food restaurant.

Lol I’m not, I’ve never done paid work yet. But I did work as a co-operative education student at a place, and at times lol I may have tried dodging the annoying tasks. 

Edited by AStruggler
  • Advanced Member

Assalam alaikum,

I am in general agreement with the rest of your post, brother, but I think that the talking with non-mahrams point requires a bit more qualification.

I feel that informal conversation with colleagues of the opposite gender is not wrong in itself. In the corporate and the academic spheres, the boundaries between personal and the professional might not be that clearly drawn at times. It might very well be the case that informal connections beyond work might get you a good business deal or a good peer review. Moreover, excellence of personality may also act as an instrument of dawah, and conversations provide a window to showcase that excellence and refinement.

I feel what it ultimately boils down to is the contents of the informal conversations one is having. An instance is the Prophet(S) 's joke with the old lady who came to ask him if she would go to heaven, and he replied that old people won't enter heaven, and just as she was about to leave disheartened, he said that the old would be made young again and then enter heaven.

Are you discussing spirituality, politics, hobbies, offering life-advices  etc to the opposite gender colleagues? I don't see any un-Islamic stuff there. But, if your conversations are about frivolous things, gossip etc then it is problematic.

• Advanced Member

Also, parties are a strict no no.

I always make it a point to be away from such gatherings. While on field trips, I have many a times insisted that the group should lunch at an alcohol free venue, and made sure that it happens. Not that big a deal if you have considerate colleagues.And it is haram to attend gatherings where alcohol is served.

Edited by AbdusSibtayn
  • Moderators
46 minutes ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

I feel that informal conversation with colleagues of the opposite gender is not wrong in itself. In the corporate and the academic spheres, the boundaries between personal and the professional might not be that clearly drawn at times. It might very well be the case that informal connections beyond work might get you a good business deal or a good peer review. Moreover, excellence of personality may also act as an instrument of dawah, and conversations provide a window to showcase that excellence and refinement

This^^ 

I could be wrong here but what we a usually do is we chat and make light hearted comments(nothing indecent or crude of course) when we are in a group but in a one to one setting everyone is strictly business. This is something we have developed over the years and everyone seems to be comfortable with it. 

Edited by starlight
  • Advanced Member
11 minutes ago, starlight said:

This^^ 

I could be wrong here but what we a usually do is we chat and make light hearted comments(nothing indecent or crude of course) when we are in a group but in a one to one setting everyone is strictly business. This is something we have developed over the years and everyone seems to be comfortable with it. 

Exactly!!:grin:

4 hours ago, Irfani313 said:

b3b667f7-7c76-4d07-a554-91e9baf154bd.jpg

this is what you do when a non-mahram extends her hand 

Lol I wish I had that much time to think. 

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, starlight said:

This^^ 

:salam:

The "over the years" part is essential here indeed.

I mean, when you sign for a job -not meaning student job but a full time, family feeding one- you think long term. Hard to imagine sticking to plain job conversations all the time for several years.

Edit : hence the need to get things settled at first when it comes to salah or religious issues too. Better be frank from the beginning.

Edited by realizm
11 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Lol I’m not, I’ve never done paid work yet. But I did work as a co-operative education student at a place, and at times lol I may have tried dodging the annoying tasks. 

Lol kinda reminds me of how I would just make fries instead of burgers when I would work at a fast food restaurant. Not proud of it but yeah eventually got called out for it.