wolverine

#53 Would you Like to Know the Exact Date/Time of Your Death?

Poll #53  

93 members have voted

1. 1. If you could be told the exact date and time of your death, would you like to know?

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, wolverine said:

If you could be told the exact date and time of your death, would you like to know?

That is a good question! Thank you for creating this new poll. :)

I would not like it, but it would discipline me and make me more aware of death.

I think a lot of people tend to forget that they're not immortal (especially youth), which gives them a false sense of safety and independence from God. Hence the question "why should I believe in God, what does it bring me?''.

Now I don't ask that question, but I'd surely be better of with knowing the reality that I WILL die.

Would love to know the date - that way I could plan my life better.  How many people put off doing important things or put off seeing loved ones because we are "too busy" right now and tomorrow and next week, etc.   We would make time for the important things if we knew the limits of our time available.

3 hours ago, Maryaam said:

Would love to know the date - that way I could plan my life better.  How many people put off doing important things or put off seeing loved ones because we are "too busy" right now and tomorrow and next week, etc.   We would make time for the important things if we knew the limits of our time available.

But what if your date is farther in the future than you expected? Would that encourage procrastination and "killing time"? 

I think it's best to know that today we might die, and then if we don't, alhamdulilla we get another day to live. 

As SC's Hameedehstani wrote, "Good Question."

The economics of knowing, secularly, leads to better financial planning. All my grandparents, two of whom were born in the 1800s, all died their 90s. So there is a real chance l could be a centenarian. lnflation is a war on the elderly. So l do not know if l'II make it through.

Yet in a more important way, we'd have everything out of the way and have a chance of reciting when the Malik comes, inshallah.

21 hours ago, wolverine said:

If you could be told the exact date and time of your death, would you like to know?

I want to know how to get away from it rather knowing the death latitude and longitude and time. If a sadqa works for it fine but if it is to come it will come any way.

I will be more appalled if I did get happiness from the Prophet SAW and his holy progny.

Iltimaas dua

19 hours ago, notme said:

But what if your date is farther in the future than you expected? Would that encourage procrastination and "killing time"? 

I think it's best to know that today we might die, and then if we don't, alhamdulilla we get another day to live. 

I could get another day, but could just take it for granted. if I knew it was my last, I would not waste it. 

I could plan my life according to its longevity.  Probably if I knew I was going to live to 95,  I would engage in less risky behaviours than I would if I was not going to make it to 30.  I would plan for long term outcomes in terms of education, family planning etc.  I would take care of my body so I would be able to maintain maximum mobility and vision and hearing, etc.  I would be more careful about my diet and exercise... so as to keep my body functioning well over the long term - with less pain and frustration.  Being alive at 95 is one thing; being functional at 95 is another!

If I don't have long - I would push my body to the max, experience everything with abandon - and not worry about long term outcome!  Probably, it would be a more selfish lifestyle as I would not make significant commitments to others knowing that they should not depend on me for long.

On 12/18/2018 at 1:32 PM, Reza said:

If you know, then can one consciously act to hasten or delay the death? Or can absolutely nothing be done to alter this?

Its a complete negation of free will.

Interesting point.