Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ejaz

The Threat of Social Media

Stop using social media, yes. The tech companies are agents of this Dajall you speak of. Social media was designed to deliver dopamine hits when people like your content, much like the pharmacological action of crack cocaine: a short term high that quickly fades and gets you hooked quickly, so that you spend as much time on social media as possible where the technocrats mine data on you and create a very detailed profile of who you are and then use this to feed content back to you that they know you will like so that you are never exposed to new ideas or opposing views. They do this so that the can sell advertising space for lots of money to the highest bidder and trigger you into materialism and consumerist desires. It's also posited that social media has made people more withdrawn from one another as well as much less civil/far nastier and this is evident when seeing the types of comments that flood YouTube about religion from bitter and hate filled atheists as well as people threatening one another and slandering other's families over politics on Facebook. Furthermore, children and teens commit suicide frequently as a response to bullying on social media.

I don't use Facebook at all. I still use Instagram, but it's less bad because people don't really comment the way they do on YouTube and Facebook.

9 minutes ago, GD41586 said:

I don't use Facebook at all. I still use Instagram, but it's less bad because people don't really comment the way they do on YouTube and Facebook.

Not a so long time ago I was insulted in PM in Instagram by a woman because I said I was in favor of mandatory hijab and I was forced to block her because she didn't stop to insult me. 

17 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

Not a so long time ago I was insulted in PM in Instagram by a woman because I said I was in favor of mandatory hijab and I was forced to block her because she didn't stop to insult me. 

Hmm... Very few people ever comment on my pictures :confused:

But yes, that is why these apps have a block feature: because people believe that their opinions absolutely *must* be heard and agreed with by others, which just so happens to be another major negative of social media: narcissism and an unwarranted sense of self importance.

2 hours ago, GD41586 said:

Stop using social media, yes. The tech companies are agents of this Dajall you speak of. Social media was designed to deliver dopamine hits when people like your content, much like the pharmacological action of crack cocaine: a short term high that quickly fades and gets you hooked quickly, so that you spend as much time on social media as possible where the technocrats mine data on you and create a very detailed profile of who you are and then use this to feed content back to you that they know you will like so that you are never exposed to new ideas or opposing views. They do this so that the can sell advertising space for lots of money to the highest bidder and trigger you into materialism and consumerist desires. It's also posited that social media has made people more withdrawn from one another as well as much less civil/far nastier and this is evident when seeing the types of comments that flood YouTube about religion from bitter and hate filled atheists as well as people threatening one another and slandering other's families over politics on Facebook. Furthermore, children and teens commit suicide frequently as a response to bullying on social media.

Be moderate in using social media. Its the battlefield of soft war and Facebook is a big player in it. Just limit yourself to seeking and spreading knowledge. No need to argue with ignorant people. I use facebook and have learnt quite a lot. It also keeps me updated with what is going on in the Muslim world especially using trusted sources. 

I am also connected with brothers from different parts of the world. Many of my good friendships happened on facebook that turned in to a real time strong friendships. You just need to limit yourself. Build a wall and don't let anything nasty or ignorant seep it. Use their tool for good. The tool in itself is neutral. The way you use it makes it Satanic or Sacred.

Edited by Waseem162

There is also this controversy in Iran, that banning Facebook and Twitter has given a shot in the arm to the royalists and CIA-MI6 stooges to spread misinformation by making it impossible to post a counter narrative on these platforms.

Honestly, it is an individual choice, according to me. If you feel that social media is interfering with your peace of mind, then quit at once.

I like SC much better than Facebook. Part of the reason is that I am an introvert/socially awkward, and I like the relative anonymity and Islamic environment that SC offers. Secondly, brothers and sisters here are vastly superior in terms of their online behavior here. Moreover, the content quality on Facebook is no match for that on SC. I have personally benefitted much from this site.

4 minutes ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

There is also this controversy in Iran, that banning Facebook and Twitter has given a shot in the arm to the royalists and CIA-MI6 stooges to spread misinformation by making it impossible to post a counter narrative on these platforms.

Honestly, it is an individual choice, according to me. If you feel that social media is interfering with your peace of mind, then quit at once.

I like SC much better than Facebook. Part of the reason is that I am an introvert/socially awkward, and I like the relative anonymity and Islamic environment that SC offers. Secondly, brothers and sisters here are vastly superior in terms of their online behavior here. Moreover, the content quality on Facebook is no match for that on SC. I have personally benefitted much from this site.

But Islam asks you to be "Social". Isn't?

16 hours ago, Waseem162 said:

But Islam asks you to be "Social". Isn't?

Actually, SC is my kind of social space!!:grin:

Eventually, social media will be as ubiquitous as email, running water, and electricity. It will be one of those “must haves” to function in many life settings. Complete avoidance will be less of a realistic option.

A more nuanced discussion should be about regulation of it, and how to extract its benefits.

34 minutes ago, Reza said:

A more nuanced discussion should be about regulation of it, and how to extract its benefits.

Agreed, but what needs regulated? how is it to be regulated? and who is going to regulate it?

A real benefit will be better search engines for the lnternet.

Edited by hasanhh

On 12/16/2018 at 1:19 PM, Waseem162 said:

Be moderate in using social media. Its the battlefield of soft war and Facebook is a big player in it. Just limit yourself to seeking and spreading knowledge. No need to argue with ignorant people. I use facebook and have learnt quite a lot. It also keeps me updated with what is going on in the Muslim world especially using trusted sources. 

I am also connected with brothers from different parts of the world. Many of my good friendships happened on facebook that turned in to a real time strong friendships. You just need to limit yourself. Build a wall and don't let anything nasty or ignorant seep it. Use their tool for good. The tool in itself is neutral. The way you use it makes it Satanic or Sacred.

Bro Waseem,

Allow me to clarify and explain my reaction to your post, because your goals in using social media are of course admirable. Seeking and spreading knowledge seem like a given and the proper motivation for someone to use social media (Facebook in this case); but Facebook has a huge underlying flaw (or a perfectly engineered danger depending on how we view it).

Since the way that FB makes money is to deliver targeted advertising by showing you products and services that it believes you will like based off of the profile it builds from the data it collects from you, the flaw/danger I speak of is how the algorithm gets you trapped in the "filter bubble" where you are only exposed to information that will keep you engaged with the platform and keep you clicking. The truth about Facebook is that we can think that we are disseminating and receiving knowledge, but because of this very filter bubble we may (and most times, are) only being exposed to the stories and information that we want to read and therefore could be missing out on truth that the algorithm reads as being something we disagree with, thus it won't be shown to us. This also happens with content we share with others: people don't like what you have to say so they don't unfriend you, but mark that they "don't like this content" or "show me less like this" which works as a means to effectively turn off the voice or filter out similar opinions or stories. Facebook claims that it is very concerned about "fake news" (which means opinions that run counter to the leftist political opinions of it's owners and those of the other silicon valley technocrats) but this is largely in reaction to the platform being used to rally support for Donald Trump in 2016 and of course, doesn't seem to matter at all when the fake news happens to be misrepresented statistics or "reporting" that skews heavily to the left.

FB does function as a utility to make long lasting friendships as Myspace did before it-- I have a friend I talk to almost daily that I've never met in person but had first encountered on Myspace back in 2008 from Anchorage, Alaska; so I agree with that. I'm not saying that people who use FB are "bad" either, quite the opposite-- many of the people who try to use FB as a means to spread and seek knowledge have nothing but the best of intentions. I'm simply saying that I don't trust FB's ability to be impartial in the nature of the content it delivers because only showing me what I like or agree with could be keeping me from being exposed to valuable information that would provoke critical thought or even change my mind about a situation or topic that I am ignorant to or misinformed about in reality. As someone who is particularly sensitive to the effect of living in a "post truth society" where there are "multiple truths", this is why I am very suspect of getting important information (or sharing important information I may have a critical opinion of) on the platform.

If FB were to take steps to mitigate the problem of the filter bubble & feedback loop, I'd be much more apt to make an account again because it certainly is a convenient way to stay in touch with friends and family who are separated by long distance. :)