Sign in to follow this  
ali78787y0989

Is it a good idea to go to the West for university

Rate this topic

Currently I live in Bangladesh. I am a US citizen. I wanted to know whether it is a good idea to go to the USA for higher education alone. I will be 18 when I go. Is it very difficult for people in the West to stay on the right path and not get influenced by Western ideas. Would it be a better idea to get married and then go ? Also Is a Western education truly worth it ? I know that if there is a possibility of getting deviated then it is haram to go. Would it still be haram if there is no possibility of going astray but also a small chance of improving my religion. Since the past several year my beliefs/faith has increased. However if I feel I ill not be able to further improve my faith once I go to the West would it still be haram ?

Salaam Alaykum brother

As a student in a Western University I will recommend you to come if you believe your faith will not be compromised. You can always join Muslim clubs and circles that you feel comfortable in, so it is not necessary that you will be influenced by western culture. No one will force you to go to partying or clubbing but I will avoid those environments if a non Muslim friend invites you. 

I think the western education is worth it if you remain on the deen. It is easier to make a difference to the world with a western education. Also there is a quote by Imam Ali that says completion of faith lies in seeking knowledge and practicing it. 

When it comes to marriage I think it is good to marry early but this should not be at the expense of not finding your match. You should also take into consideration that there will be lots of responsibilities when you get married, which will be especially hard whilst balancing university workload.

Wallahu A’lam

-Layman’s opinion