Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Carlzone

Punishment in donya?

Rate this topic

Salam aleykom, 

I've noticed a pattern. If I commit a sin, almost immediately bad things start happening to me/in my life. It is so obvious that it's a clear signal. At least that is how I perceive it.

I want to know if others have noticed this  pattern as well? And why is this? No delay - punishment immediately. Don't we have a hadith that states that if one does istighfar/tawba before a certain time frame that the angels won't write down the sin? So if you have done istighfar/tawba - then why would you get punished anyway? 

2 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Salam aleykom, 

I've noticed a pattern. If I commit a sin, almost immediately bad things start happening to me/in my life. It is so obvious that it's a clear signal. At least that is how I perceive it.

I want to know if others have noticed this  pattern as well? And why is this? No delay - punishment immediately. Don't we have a hadith that states that if one does istighfar/tawba before a certain time frame that the angels won't write down the sin? So if you have done istighfar/tawba - then why would you get punished anyway? 

I don't think Allah is trying to punish us, He is just making us to get back to Him which is why He chooses to put difficult obstacles in our lives

the bad things are just tests

3 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

But sister our sins are soo much, I don't think anyone can be confident enough to think tha all our sins are all forgiven in this world.

Oh, you misunderstood me. That's not what I meant. 

I'm talking about when you know you messed up in a particular way and then immediately afterwards bad things start happening even though you did istighfar and tawba. 

I'm not talking about all sins. Of course there are sins we aren't even aware of. May Allah SWT forgive us for them InshaAllah. 

Edited by Carlzone

2 hours ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

I don't think Allah is trying to punish us, He is just making us to get back to Him which is why He chooses to put difficult obstacles in our lives

the bad things are just tests

Yes, we have tests too of course that happen whether we sin or not. But it's not them that I am addressing here.

I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. Let's say your life is going smoothly and you're happy. Then you fall into a sin and you do istighfar and tawba straight away. Yet bad things start happening immediately. 

After this period you carry on as usual and life goes smoothly again. Once again you fall into a sin and immediately bad things start happening. 

And the same pattern repeats itself over and over again until you become pretty confident about the correlation between "sin - various bad things start happening ". 

This is what I'm talking about. 

Isn’t it said that a calamity, if brings you closer to your God is a test and a calamity takes you away from God is a punishment.

I guess if you are having a bad day due to some bad action of yours, and you realize your mistake through it and have remorse, won’t it be a blessing actually? You got cleansed right away. Lucky you!! 

As salaamun alaikum,

What i believe is this world operates according to an algorithm and cause and effect.

For example, mustahab acts in and of themselves are good, but they also attract and bring more blessings and positive results in the world to us and in our Direction. The same can be said when we commit sins or do other bad actions, it brings negative things into our lives and attracts negativity to us. 

Our actions in this world don't just affect this physical dunya, they have an effect in the ghayb realm as well, the algorithm im speaking of is how things work and manifest here. The ghayb/unseen is what this world is all about, more so than the physical world itself, suprisingly, but we just get so drown in the physical manifestations around us, that we forget and become heedless to the fact that there is another unseen realm. We can not see the ghayb and we dont fully understand the algorithm, but Allah has pointed to this in many places of the Quran. Allah has made believing in the Unseen the first thing He mentions in Surah

Al Baqarah  : Verse (2 : 2)

ذَٰلِكَ ٱلْكِتَٰبُ لَا رَيْبَ فِيهِ هُدًى لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ 

This is the Book, there is no doubt in it, a guidance to the Godwary,

Surah Al Baqarah  : Verse (2 : 3)

ٱلَّذِينَ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِٱلْغَيْبِ وَيُقِيمُونَ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ وَمِمَّا رَزَقْنَٰهُمْ يُنفِقُونَ

who believe in the Unseen, maintain the prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them;

This is how prayer, dua, and other good actions work, but the same is true for bad actions, its just that in my life, it doesnt always translate to immediate results, although quite often it does. 

Allah says in the Quran: 

Surah Al-Lail, Verse 5:
فَأَمَّا مَنْ أَعْطَىٰ وَاتَّقَىٰ

Then as for him who gives away and guards (against evil),

Surah Al-Lail, Verse 6:
وَصَدَّقَ بِالْحُسْنَىٰ

And accepts the best,

Surah Al-Lail, Verse 7:
فَسَنُيَسِّرُهُ لِلْيُسْرَىٰ

We will ease him towards ease

Surah Al-Lail, Verse 8:
وَأَمَّا مَن بَخِلَ وَاسْتَغْنَىٰ

And as for him who is niggardly and considers himself free from need (of Allah),

Surah Al-Lail, Verse 9:
وَكَذَّبَ بِالْحُسْنَىٰ

And rejects the best,

Surah Al-Lail, Verse 10:
فَسَنُيَسِّرُهُ لِلْعُسْرَىٰ

We will facilitate for him the difficult end.

So basically, if we act according to what Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى wants from us, he "eases us towards ease", which is like setting the gears in motion for good things that make life easier to come to us, and eventually, Jannah, but in regards to our immediate lives, it may be something as simple as pulling into an extremely crowded parking lot, and Bam! A parking spot opens up right in front of you. Or maybe you end up just missing an accident on the freeway. Or maybe it happens to be youre tight on cash, and you "just happened" to go to the right store and they have a major sale going on  for something you absolutely need to get.

The same is also true when we act counter to what Allah wants, all of a sudden our life becomes  harder. We're stuck in traffic for extreme lengths of time, we drive around and around and around in a parking lot only to end up having to park down the street on a side road because no spaces were available, maybe we get ripped off and short-changed at the grocery store and don't realize it till we come home and look at our receipt... I know these are very minor things, but cause and effect is very real, and depending on what we put in, we can expect to get back in some way shape or form.

I  look at it more as the direct cause and effect of my actions as opposed to a punishment for sins . It doesnt necessarily require that I have committed a specific sin, it could just be that I'm in a very negative space in my mind and being angry about something,  ungratefull for the blessings i have, etc so therefore I'm generating this negative energy around me and attracting negativity towards me which COULD  be considered a spiritual sin and pollution as opposed to a fiqi/jurisprudential sin. Once we enter the realm of spiritual sins, we realize we got alot more "wrong" with us than we thought, things like holding on to anger, jealousy, greed, things that are not "sins", but are still spirituall pollutions for our hearts and souls.

Regarding your question about istigfar and tawbah, when we do those, we are seeking Allahsسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى forgiveness for the sins that we have committed, but since we have still put the gears in motion in the algorithm, I think we still have some element of cause and effect that we need to go through. Kind of like the natural consequences of our actions as opposed to the spiritual consequence of having earned a sin, maybe..This is part of why i dont look at what happens to me based on a "punishment only" view, but of one of cause and effect mostly.

One little thing I'd like to add in here is, it's quite often we hear people use the term "coincidence" or "chance" or "luck", but there is no such thing as those in Allahsسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى creation and the algorithym. Many times those are words people use when refering to a situation or event  they don't know all the details,aspects or variables of what occured to  bring that thing into existence.  

Years ago, i had a friend that gambled, and I always thought it was ignorant when they would start losing hands and turn and say, "luck just isn't with me", or they would blame the dealer for a bad hand, saying, "if this new dealer hadnt come, i would be winning-she brought me bad luck".  I'm thinking, luck has nothing to do with it, it depends on how the cards are arranged, the order that they are handed out in, etc. As if luck has some magical ability all its own to float around and land on people,lol.. 

@AMR5 i just now saw your post above mine and noticed you mentioned "luck" in it, so i just wanted you to know what i just wrote about luck has nothing to do with your post,lol.What a "coincidence" that i happened to read your post and still have enough time to add this to my post so as not to give you the wrong impression:)

W/s

Edited by shia farm girl

Thank you all for your replies and sharing of thoughts! Please comment further if you have more thoughts on the subject or your own experience.  :)

@shia farm girl Wooow! What an interesting post!!! Thank you sooo much! :) I always have "coincidences" happen to me all the time. And I too see connections when I'm in different states of mind. If I'm really angry electrical devices can stop working around me. For real. I'm not kidding. Everything goes wrong then. At that point I realise that I need to call down and then everything starts working again.  

Don't we have a hadith that states that if one does istighfar/tawba before a certain time frame that the angels won't write down the sin? So if you have done istighfar/tawba - then why would you get punished anyway?

Yes we have. This is why it is very important every day to reflect on the actions you have made in day and seek sincerely forgiveness and thankfulness and try to change the state of your heart (purify) that usually allows yourself to draw to the sin.

Repenting always require to go back to Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى and to purify the heart so it can't go back to sinning.

Edited by Abu Nur

On 12/14/2018 at 9:46 PM, Carlzone said:

Salam aleykom, 

Wa3alykom al Salam wa ra7matullah , when we commit a sin and we repent immediately and ask Allah for forgiveness immediately after it sometimes bad things happen to you ... for example you fall over hit your hand , you get hurt in away , that is Allah purifying you from that sin. It does not count in your book of sins inshallah .

we have to remember that everything bad that happens to us is the cause from our own hands , we get sick , we lose our jobs , we hurt ourselves, everything bad comes from our own selves. 

6 hours ago, YasahibalZaman(ajs) said:

Wa3alykom al Salam wa ra7matullah , when we commit a sin and we repent immediately and ask Allah for forgiveness immediately after it sometimes bad things happen to you ... for example you fall over hit your hand , you get hurt in away , that is Allah purifying you from that sin. It does not count in your book of sins inshallah .

we have to remember that everything bad that happens to us is the cause from our own hands , we get sick , we lose our jobs , we hurt ourselves, everything bad comes from our own selves. 

Thank you for your reply! 

Do you know where one can read more about this?