Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Abu Nur

Reading Qur'an in Seven days

Rate this topic

Salaam Aleikum,

Ahmad and Abu Dawud narrated from Aws b. Hudhayfa, who said: ‘We came to the Messenger of Allah [saws], as part of the delegation of Thaqif.’

He said: ‘The Messenger of Allah [saws] would come to us every night after ‘isha and speak to us.’

He said: ‘One night he was late from (coming to see us at) the time he would come to us.’

We said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, you have come to us late tonight.’

He said: ‘I had my portion of the Qur’an to read and I did not want to come until I had finished it.’

Aws said: ‘I asked the companions of the Messsenger of Allah [saws] about how he divided up his reading of the Qur’an.’

They said: ‘Three, five, seven, nine, eleven, thirteen and the Mufassal.’

Thus, the Prophet [saws] would complete the Qur’an weekly. His reading would be as follows:

Day 1: Fatiha to Al-‘Imran (three suras)

Day 2: Al-Nisa to Al-Anfal (five suras)

Day 3: Al-Tawba to Al-Hijr (seven suras)

Day 4: Al-Nahl to Al-Nur (nine suras)

Day 5: Al-Furqan to Al-Fatir (eleven suras)

Day 6: Ya Sin to Al-Fath (thirteen suras)

Day 7: Al-Hujurat to Al-Nas (Mufassal)

Jazakallah, interesting fact and amazing idea for the division of the qur'an!

Once I master the arabic language of the qur'an and start the understand each word of the qur'an. This will be my goal insha'Allah.

Edited by aaljibar

7 minutes ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Sorry for asking but is it not the order of the Qur'an according to the Uthmanian version ? How could this be a sunnah from the Prophet (sawas) ?

Well in that narration it does not even mention any chapter names but surah numbers divided in 7 days.

السَّلآمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ الله وبَرَكآتُه 

Respected brother @Abu Nur

Hope you are fine إِنْ شَاء َ اللَّه 

Rasool Allah(saww) reading Quran in 7 days can be understood because he knew in and outs of Quran.

We reading Quran without understanding it in 7 days is a question mark?

Though recitation of Quran is a heavenly thing but what is the gain if Quran is recited and just recited without being understood?

Moreover there is an ayah which states that we should read quran with patience (so that we understand).

Also Rasool(saww) said that this is how he does it yet he did not say others to follow the same thing, I mean to ask did he recommend others also to do so?

But then whatever Aaqa(saww) did we do it as sunnah because either this way or that way it is beneficial for us.

@Salsabeel @Ashvazdanghe @Ralvi @realizm @AStruggler @3wliya_maryam @Ruqaya101 @ShiaMan14 @realizm @shia farm girl @Lion of Shia 

Request you to kindly share your understandings on this concern.

Reading Quran with patience so to understand it or finishing Quran in 7 days by just reciting it, both are beneficial for human like us, isn't it?

Edited by Asghar Ali Karbalai

18 minutes ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

Rasool Allah(saww) reading Quran in 7 days can be understood because he knew in and outs of Quran.

Though recitation of Quran is a heavenly thing but what is the gain if Quran is recited and just recited without being understood?

Moreover there is an ayah which states that we should read quran with patience (so that we understand).

Also Rasool(saww) said that this is how he does it yet he did not say others to follow the same thing, I mean to ask did he recommend others also to do so?

But then whatever Aaqa(saww) we do it as sunnah because this way or that way it is beneficial for us.

@Salsabeel @Ashvazdanghe @Ralvi @realizm @AStruggler @3wliya_maryam @Ruqaya101 @ShiaMan14 @realizm @shia farm girl @Lion of Shia 

Reading Quran with patience so to understand it or finishing Quran in 7 days by just reciting it, both are beneficial for human like us, isn't it?

Salaam Aleikum,

If people can use their time for about 3-4 hour everyday for reciting the Qur'an, they will surely swim in guidance and their taqwa and remembrance of God will increase dramatically if it is done for purpose to seek proximity to God. You can easily dived in two parts, one part is use time for recitation the Qur'an and the other part is for study and understand the Quran by reading translation and it's Tafasir's. For both parts you will receive proximity and rewards.

Edited by Abu Nur

@Asghar Ali Karbalai

thank you brother, I feel we all have different capacities and different journeys. But ultimetaly Allah sent the Quran for understanding for all humans whilst only the believers well..will be well-versed in it. Reading and understanding are whole worlds of their own. Ultimately understanding the Quran is understanding our Rasool and our Mawla, so they go hand in hand. 7 days might have been viable in the past but in this bustling and fast paced modern world even taking a year to read the Quran slowly is a blessing. If you can 7 days and still understand-wow subhanallah mashallah!! Allah has truly blessed you! You must have heart, clarity, piety, and a fearing mind! 

For me my first round it took me approx 6 months, and I didn’t fully grasp it, let alone memorize haha. We all have our own learning language. And Allah knows that-that’s why we have a silent and visual source and a speaking and spiritual source-the Rope of Allah- the Quran and ahulbayt. With these two we can fully maximize not only memorization(if that’s what you want to focus on first then understanding) but grasping of the Quran and the holy personalities. Becuase they’re is an endgame and we have a part to play. The Quran was sent to help us understand the message and the ahlulbayt and the ahlulbayt was sent to help us understand the Quran. They’re  like universe unto themselves...

so take your time, don’t rush. Momin also need heart and love to understand the Quran and ahulbayt 

i personally value taking the Quran for what it’s saying first at face value and distancing any bias I have due to my environment and truly understand the essence and guidance it entails. In my second round now the message is 150% better to understand! And no doubt it’s because my mind has been more aware towards ahulbayt and becuase I’ve been doing all Namaz diligently! You have to ask and you’ll receive!

It actually pained me a lot before (not only because embarrassingly I had never read the Quran Astaghfirullah:( )that voices interfered while I was trying to read the Quran, it’s like when you’re in a classroom and you’re trying to read and listen to the professor but all you hear are the noisy people, the skeptics, the naysayers and the mockers bit in your heart you know the message is better and more sane.

my personality is the type who listens to everyone, is observant of other peoples, and tries to understand other POV, but sometimes that drowns out my own inner voice, so I have to listen to my heart and what I know without a doubt because it’s from my masters. Because you know when we are young we’re pretty innocent and pure so without a doubt we have; if we seeked it; had a connection with them. I thought it was Allah (I was young and dumb ok, I talked to Allah a lot and always told him my worries and my plans to be a hero lol and he was helping me in dreams..lol) but now I realize it was his wali becuase I felt that same presence recently...oh my heart 

:love:

Edited by Ralvi

1 hour ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

But then whatever Aaqa(saww) did we do it as sunnah because either this way or that way it is beneficial for us.

We can follow in the appropriate way, without crossing the boundaries. This means we don't have to follow it in the exact same way but according to our capabilities. What do you think about this idea?

1 hour ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

but what is the gain if Quran is recited and just recited without being understood?

I remember hearing a story which I'll paraphrase for you:

So basically there was an old man and his grandson. The grandson asks his grandfather a similar question to what you have asked, about what's the point in reading if one doesn't even understand the meaning. The grandfather gives his grandson a bucket and asks him to go to the river and fill it up with the water and bring it back. The grandson does as instructed but by the time he gets back to his grandfather, the buckets is empty as all the water escapes from the bucket as there is a hole in the bucket. The grandfather asks the boy to repeat the same thing over and over again. The boy repeats the action and every time on the way back to his grandfather the water would be all drained out by the time he reaches his grandfather. Eventually, the boy gets tired and frustrated as he sees no point in this. With a lot of frustration he questions his grandfather about the purpose of this activity. The grandfather then explains to him that when he first gave him the bucket the bucket was really dark with soot or some residue of coal or some dirt. But now, after repeatedly filling the water up with the bucket despite the bucket failing to carry the water as the water kept slowly draining out, the bucket is shining and spotless. The bucket is all nice and clean now. The grandfather then explains how the same effect happens with our hearts and souls when we continuously recite the holy quran even if we don't understand...

So that was the story. I don't remember it exactly so I may have added my own details to it.

Apart from what the OP has mentioned, Prophet (S) has taught us the shortcut too. He has made for us possible that everyone of us can finish the whole quran in 5-10 minutes :). I remember a famous tradition where Prophet (S) asked that who among you sleep after finish reciting the whole Quran? Perhaps it was Ammar bin Yasir (r.a) who raised his hands and said I do it. 

People thought that he was joking, but then it was explained to them that reciting Al-Ikhlas three times equals to finishing the whole Quran. It was amazing, Surah-e-Ikhlas alone has so much depth and meanings hidden in it.  

The best thing one can advise to his brother or his friend is to advise him reciting the Holy Quran. It is the best companion and a best guide in all situations. 

May the Almighty Lord count us among those who recite the Holy Quran with the Haqq of its tilawat.  

DEDICATION OF THE NAMES OF THE HOLY PROPHET AND IMAMS TO THE DAYS OF THE WEEK AND THEIR ZIYARAHS ON EACH DAY

Sayyid Ibn Tawus, in his book, Jamal al-Usbu’, states that it has been narrated on the authority of Ibn Baabwayh that al-Saqr ibn Abi-Dalaf said:

When al-Mutawakkil, the ‘Abbasid ruler, ordered our master Ali ibn Muhammad al-Naqi (Imam al-Hadi, peace be upon him) to be present in Samarra’, the capital, I went there investigating his news. He was imprisoned at al-Zariqi, al-Mutawakkil’s chamberlain. When I was permitted to visit this chamberlain, he asked me, “O Saqr! What for are you here?”

I thus praised and thanked Almighty Allah and said, “O my master! There is a Hadith reported from the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) whose meaning is not known by me.”

“What is that Hadith?” asked the Imam.

I mentioned the Hadith that reads, “Do not provoke the hostility of the Days otherwise they will be your enemies.”

Explaining to me, the holy Imam (a.s.) said, “Verily, we are the Days so long as the heavens and the earth endure. Saturday is the name of the Messenger of Allah, Sunday the name of Ameer al-Momineen Imam Ali, Monday the name of the Imams al-Hasan and al-Husayn, Tuesday the names of Ali ibn al-Husayn (Imam Zayn al-’Abidin), Muhammad ibn Ali (Imam al-Baqir) and Ja’far ibn Muhammad (Imam al-Sadiq), Wednesday the names of Musa ibn Ja’far (Imam al-Kazim), Ali ibn Musa (Imam al-Rida), Muhammad ibn Ali (Imam al-Jawad) and me, Thursday the name of my son al-Hasan ibn Ali, and Friday the name of my grandson (Imam al-Mahdi). On Friday will the group of the Truth join him. This is the meaning of the Days. You thus should not provoke their hostility in this world; otherwise, they will be your enemies in the Next World.”

The Imam (a.s.) then asked me to bid farewell and leave.

http://alhassanain.org/english/?com=book&id=928

9 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Sorry for asking but is it not the order of the Qur'an according to the Uthmanian version ? How could this be a sunnah from the Prophet (sawas) ?

My thoughts exactly...if we believe the Sunni theory of Caliph Uthman compiling the Quran.

9 hours ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

There are benefits to reading the Quran even if you don't understand it however it is obviously better to read with understanding.

The other thing is that as Muslims, a lot us treat ibadah (worship) as a chore or a checklist. We give priority to completing an act quickly rather than devoutly. 

You have to look at how people rush through tawaf or on Ziarat even though best practice (recommended) is to move slowly and gracefully.