aaljibar

How do you balance career/fun/family/religious knowledge?

Rate this topic

Asalamu alaykum,

I wish to ideally make my week, and hence life: 80% career, 10% family/fun and 10% religious knowledge.

I know that having a respectful career is worship and it would also provide income for my family.

How do you do it?

Extra: Do you think it's wrong to only spend 10% of my time on religious knowledge and 10% on my family?

Edited by aaljibar

I'm being very honest about mine, I do the bare minimum when it comes to career, ideally I should do a bit more like you. I do put quite a bit of time to gain religious knowledge if I think about it (I have no regrets).

Career - 45%

Fun/family - 25%

Religious knowledge - 30%

I think you may wanna bump up your family/fun - it would really help create a happy marriage life.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

Salam

There are ways to seek knowledge without impacting much on career or family time, e.g.  listening to lectures during your commute, or when shopping and doing usual errands, or reading if you get public transport.  I spend about 8hrs a week on average commuting to/from work - thats potentially 8hrs of lectures.  Add in time grocery shopping or driving to other places and its potentially over 10hrs.  I used to listen a lot to tafsir by sh bahmanpour from SICM until they changed their website and removed the lectures.  Now I mostly listen to sh Shomali on philosophy and akhlaq from the Hawza England website.  

Edited by .InshAllah.

Fun is not a category. If you aren't having fun with your family, career, community, or education, you are doing something wrong. 

In theory, you should spend 1/3 of your waking hours in work to earn a living, 1/3 on prayer, seeking knowledge, and charitable works, and 1/3 on family, community, and self care. However, each person will have their own precise balance and there is overlap between these general categories. 

2 hours ago, Asgharabbasali said:

But the career means this temporary life goals? Like Job,money, power? I want to know does these things really matter in Qayamat? Like If someone has a family and he is learning deen. Is this not enough? Elaborate me about What is the Career according to Islam.

Career is worship as you are providing value to the world and this is what Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى wants. So it does matter in qayamat. But of course, if you're life is structured in a way is about family and learning deen. Then you are rewarded for that. It is not wajib to have a career.

1 hour ago, .InshAllah. said:

Salam

There are ways to seek knowledge without impacting much on career or family time, e.g.  listening to lectures during your commute, or when shopping and doing usual errands, or reading if you get public transport.  I spend about 8hrs a week on average commuting to/from work - thats potentially 8hrs of lectures.  Add in time grocery shopping or driving to other places and its potentially over 10hrs.  I used to listen a lot to tafsir by sh bahmanpour from SICM until they changed their website and removed the lectures.  Now I mostly listen to sh Shomali on philosophy and akhlaq from the Hawza England website.  

Great suggestion masha'Allah.

49 minutes ago, notme said:

Fun is not a category. If you aren't having fun with your family, career, community, or education, you are doing something wrong. 

In theory, you should spend 1/3 of your waking hours in work to earn a living, 1/3 on prayer, seeking knowledge, and charitable works, and 1/3 on family, community, and self care. However, each person will have their own precise balance and there is overlap between these general categories. 

True that, I agree. You should have fun in all aspects of life. I more meant like care free do what ever you want to do fun like just sit down and relax while reading a nice personal  book, watching entertaining videos or just playing sport/exercise.

14 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I'm being very honest about mine, I do the bare minimum when it comes to career, ideally I should do a bit more like you. I do put quite a bit of time to gain religious knowledge if I think about it (I have no regrets).

Career - 45%

Fun/family - 25%

Religious knowledge - 30%

I think you may wanna bump up your family/fun - it would really help create a happy marriage life.

Yes I should, but I have been doing that a lot lately so I'm going to bring it down for a while or just keep it as low as it as. Gotta have balance. ;)