Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Sumerian

Discipline

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

Is there such thing as "overemphasis on discipline"? Can somebody be "too disciplined"?

Like too much pressure? Most discipline involves a lot of mental pressure. If that gets to be too much it may surface in other ways that are self detrimental and could possibly negatively impact mental health as a side effect. That’s why moderation is so key especially in parenting

I definitely think then especially in certain communities there is overemphasis in disciple and not healthy moderation and human bonding which involves compromise and swallowing of ones pride. Lots of parents I find struggle with this. It’s like there is no in between lol they are either at a 100 or at a 0 

In my opinion

Edited by Ralvi

yes there is, espeically when it comes to raising children as what @Murtaza1 has mentioned

Strict parenting can cause the child to have negative thoughts as to why he's so restricted from everything, there needs to be like a balance with disciplining children and giving them some space so they won't feel so trapped 

i feel like most parents nowadays struggle with this kind of thing, and to be honest its not their fault, the fact that this society/ generation has increased so much in violence, death, and fasaad, they feel a need to be a little more strict or  overprotective, so at the same time we can't really blame them since they are trying to look out for us even though we may not like it as much sometimes.

4 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Is there such thing as "overemphasis on discipline"? Can somebody be "too disciplined"?

With regard self discipline? Probably not. 

But there is danger of self-righteousness, and of missing opportunities because they aren't part of the plan. Those aren't really a result excess discipline though; those result from discipline that isn't balanced with wisdom. 

And there's never too much wisdom. 

I think too much of anything can be bad. In the case of self-discipline, I think being too self-disciplined makes no room for spontaneity. Spontaneity is fun. We don't need to have boring lives in order to be religious. 

In terms of discipline from parents, yes again, too much discipline creates a very mechanical lifestyle, which may result in more issues. Also, more discipline from parents may not necessarily teach children valuable life lessons they will need in the real world.

Too much of discipline being fed to a child from his very early childhood can be a very likely cause to a mental disorder known as OCD being developed in the child. (Involves excessive cleanliness).

Discipline along with flexibility is good. Without flexibility, it is bad.

Edited by Asghar Ali Karbalai