Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How to take summarised notes

• Advanced Member
Asalamu alaykum,

I have wrote this while I was studying as I was initially confused on what the differences are between a textbook and summarised notes.

Notes are summarised portions of each section of a chapter. They explain the fundamental information from each section. Be careful however, it takes first knowing the syllabus/learning outcomes in order to take relevant notes.

A first time learner will have a harder time learning from summarised notes since they will lack the detailed explanations and meticulously thought out examples of the author, leading them to the point of lacking a high level of understanding. Hence, a reader who consumes summarised notes will have to input his own detailed explanations and examples to achieve the high level of understanding of the material found in a textbook. 

A textbook contains these two commodities of examples and detailed explanations. Students they will only have to actively learn it and memorise the sections. Where as a reader reading summarised notes will have to input his own detailed explanations and examples and further actively learn it and memorise. PLUS, there is no guarantee that the students input of his explanations and examples will be correct, and hence, this is another difficulty a reader of summarised notes will endure.

Summarised notes also therefore will also be a small fraction (1/5 or 1/4) of the size from the original source but will still allow you to gain a a good grade, if not higher grade, compared if you merely read the chapter repeatedly. The reason for this is because your study time will decrease, allowing you to relax more often so you can be more pumped for your study sessions and will give your more time to go over material that you do not have a high level of understanding yet.

TLTR: Your summery should not be long and detailed as is with the sections of the chapters of textbooks. The sections of the chapters of the textbook are long and detailed and are therefore designed for the first time reader to gain a a high level of understanding. Creating a summery of the sections of the textbook will ultimately decrease your study time and increase your grade.
  • Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, aaljibar said:
Asalamu alaykum,

I have wrote this while I was studying as I was initially confused on what the differences are between a textbook and summarised notes.

Notes are summarised portions of each section of a chapter. They explain the fundamental information from each section. Be careful however, it takes first knowing the syllabus/learning outcomes in order to take relevant notes.

A first time learner will have a harder time learning from summarised notes since they will lack the detailed explanations and meticulously thought out examples of the author, leading them to the point of lacking a high level of understanding. Hence, a reader who consumes summarised notes will have to input his own detailed explanations and examples to achieve the high level of understanding of the material found in a textbook. 

A textbook contains these two commodities of examples and detailed explanations. Students they will only have to actively learn it and memorise the sections. Where as a reader reading summarised notes will have to input his own detailed explanations and examples and further actively learn it and memorise. PLUS, there is no guarantee that the students input of his explanations and examples will be correct, and hence, this is another difficulty a reader of summarised notes will endure.

Summarised notes also therefore will also be a small fraction (1/5 or 1/4) of the size from the original source but will still allow you to gain a a good grade, if not higher grade, compared if you merely read the chapter repeatedly. The reason for this is because your study time will decrease, allowing you to relax more often so you can be more pumped for your study sessions and will give your more time to go over material that you do not have a high level of understanding yet.

TLTR: Your summery should not be long and detailed as is with the sections of the chapters of textbooks. The sections of the chapters of the textbook are long and detailed and are therefore designed for the first time reader to gain a a high level of understanding. Creating a summery of the sections of the textbook will ultimately decrease your study time and increase your grade.

I struggle with this a lot. And my habits have gotten worse I don’t review as much anymore t-t

and I can write forever lol then I quickly forget 

• Advanced Member

Assalamu alaykum,

What works for me is, I read the text carefully, divide the material into subtopics, and then jot down points under each subtopic. It just looks like a bare skeleton/minimal summary of the text and I keep the writing to the bare minimum. Our focus should be on understanding the text, and the notes are just ready-reckoners for  revision before exams. also, we should try to write things in our own words as far as possible.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

Assalamu alaykum,

What works for me is, I read the text carefully, divide the material into subtopics, and then jot down points under each subtopic. It just looks like a bare skeleton/minimal summary of the text and I keep the writing to the bare minimum. Our focus should be on understanding the text, and the notes are just ready-reckoners for  revision before exams. also, we should try to write things in our own words as far as possible.

I agree with this. But if you’re lucky enough to have the learning outcomes available at the start of each chapter. You can build your skeleton from that. The sub topics will go under each learning outcome as well. 

5 hours ago, Ralvi said:

I struggle with this a lot. And my habits have gotten worse I don’t review as much anymore t-t

and I can write forever lol then I quickly forget 

True, Questions at the end of the chapters are really important though. They really make you think rather than just consuming information mindlessly.

Applying what you learnt by answering questions is a higher level of understanding according to blooms taxonomy.

Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى help us all with our studies. ;)

• Advanced Member
55 minutes ago, aaljibar said:

I agree with this. But if you’re lucky enough to have the learning outcomes available at the start of each chapter. You can build your skeleton from that. The sub topics will go under each learning outcome as well. 

True, Questions at the end of the chapters are really important though. They really make you think rather than just consuming information mindlessly.

Applying what you learnt by answering questions is a higher level of understanding according to blooms taxonomy.

Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى help us all with our studies. ;)

Yeah I agree. I find myself stripped of time and getting less time to learn. It’s totally not working for me. I like to have solutions manual for that extra confidence boost but the test comes and then....it’s like I never studied 

:cuddle:

kill me please 

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

Yeah I agree. I find myself stripped of time and getting less time to learn. It’s totally not working for me. I like to have solutions manual for that extra confidence boost but the test comes and then....it’s like I never studied 

:cuddle:

kill me please 

I'll pray to Allah that you do well in these finals insha'Allah ;)