Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ali78787y0989

Is my business halal

Rate this topic

I wanted to know whether my business is halal. I import goods from China to Bangladesh. Upon arrival in Bangladesh I have to hire a clearing agent to minimize the duty. So for example I import a thing that originally costs 100 per kg and after official duty it comes to 200 per kg. However my clearing agent claims by giving bribes to the local authorities he can reduce the duty so that it would cost me 140 per kg after all costs. Virtually every company which imports these goods gives bribes to reduce the duty. Therefore these goods sell for 150 per kg. Only if I give bribes will I be able to make a profit. Is it halal to give bribes to the local authorities and will the money I earn be halal ?

What is your ruling on getting one's work done through bribery?

Answer: Bribery is haram in Islam. If someone's duty is to do a job without getting money but he does not do it without receiving it, giving money to get something done is permissible but it is haram for the recipient to use the money.

2 hours ago, Hassu93 said:

Answer: Bribery is haram in Islam. If someone's duty is to do a job without getting money but he does not do it without receiving it, giving money to get something done is permissible but it is haram for the recipient to use the money.

That sounds to me like paying a bribe is not haram, but accepting one is. Am I understanding this correctly? 

3 hours ago, Hassu93 said:

Salam,

He is not giving money to have the job done. He is giving money for paying less what is the normal fees.

1 hour ago, notme said:

That sounds to me like paying a bribe is not haram, but accepting one is. Am I understanding this correctly? 

:salam:

Another gem of non understandable fatwa from our dear maraji` offices !

After several reads I managed to interpret it and translate it in common language though : if you come accross a clerk whose job is to serve you without getting a bribe, but you know he will not do it without being bribed, then it becomes permissible for you to bribe him, but it will be forbidden for him to use the money. 

5 hours ago, notme said:

Yes, but this ruling is more exclusive than your statement would imply. Giving a bribe is only allowed when you need something important done and you can't get it done without bribing the person responsible - if you're from developing countries, then you'll know most governmental work, visas and so on requires you to grease the palms of whatever officer is in change, otherwise your file will simply sit on their desk forever. In these situations, when the person in charge is basically holding you hostage and preventing you from doing something you need to do because they are corrupt, you can give a bribe.

However, the question posed by the OP is different. He's giving bribes to reduce the cost of an item for himself. That would not be allowed according to the above fatwa, since the customs officers would still allow him to import his goods even if he didn't bribe them. They'd just also charge him the legally applicable import duties, which he is trying to circumvent.

9 hours ago, notme said:

Salam if both side have intention of giving & receiving bribe ,this is Haram for both side but if you pay it as ransom paying it will not be haram but still problematic  ,it's better to avoid paying it except in few occasions that is vital to pay ransom as bribe

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

I want to mention that I am sure every single importer is using exactly this method and if I don't bribe then I will not be able to compete with my competitors. So how is this fair shouldn't the blame be entirely on those who take the bribe and refuse to decrease the duty unless they are bribed. Also what about the money I have made so far should I give it to charity so that my wealth is halal . Also what about the money which was earned by supposedly haram means ie by bribing what will happen if I make a further profit on it by halal means. So for example I earn 50000 by importing goods (haram) and I do another business on it which is halal and the total profit is 75000 would the extra profit ie 25000 be halal

7 hours ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

Yes, but this ruling is more exclusive than your statement would imply. Giving a bribe is only allowed when you need something important done and you can't get it done without bribing the person responsible - if you're from developing countries, then you'll know most governmental work, visas and so on requires you to grease the palms of whatever officer is in change, otherwise your file will simply sit on their desk forever. In these situations, when the person in charge is basically holding you hostage and preventing you from doing something you need to do because they are corrupt, you can give a bribe.

However, the question posed by the OP is different. He's giving bribes to reduce the cost of an item for himself. That would not be allowed according to the above fatwa, since the customs officers would still allow him to import his goods even if he didn't bribe them. They'd just also charge him the legally applicable import duties, which he is trying to circumvent.

:salam:

True, OP is a different issue.

Comes under riba and reshwe no doubt.

I think you should contact your marja directly with all details. 

The fact that you have doubt speaks volumes in favor of your character. Many people would just conclude "this is the way business is done" and not worry about it.