Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Breaking a promise

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

As salamu aleikoum,

In the past, during an exam, I forgot to bring a pen. I asked another person (a muslim I think, if that makes a difference) whether I could borrow him one. He agreed and I said I would give it back after the exam if I saw him. He said I could keep it. Still, I insisted that I would give it back -- yeah, I'm awkward :rolleyes:

Anyway, I still have his pen with me and I used it many times. I was planning to give him another pen (same model). 

But giving it back would weird, especially since he is only an acquaintance and I don't know him that well. Just imagine seeing the other guy after several weeks and saying "Hey, how is it going? Here, the pen I promised to return!".

So, my question is: is it permissible to not fulfill the promise? I did not promise using the name of Allah swt nor is the pen an expensive object.

Edited by kashif.h
  • Advanced Member
13 hours ago, kashif.h said:

As salamu aleikoum,

In the past, during an exam, I forgot to bring a pen. I asked another person (a muslim I think, if that makes a difference) whether I could borrow him one. He agreed and I said I would give it back after the exam if I saw him. He said I could keep it. Still, I insisted that I would give it back -- yeah, I'm awkward :rolleyes:

Anyway, I still have his pen with me and I used it many times. I was planning to give him another pen (same model). 

But giving it back would weird, especially since he is only an acquaintance and I don't know him that well. Just imagine seeing the other guy after several weeks and saying "Hey, how is it going? Here, the pen I promised to return!".

So, my question is: is it permissible to not fulfill the promise? I did not promise using the name of Allah swt nor is the pen an expensive object.

وَعَلَيْكُمْ السَّلاَمُ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ 

Respected brother @kashif.h

Hope you are fine إِنْ شَاء َ اللَّه 

When you truly want to follow the Islamic teachings then do not think what is weird and what is not.

Moreover, You should stand on your words and give it back to him and if you keep it then also there is no problem in it as the owner gave you open options, so not a big deal.

Edited by Asghar Ali Karbalai