Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Christmas is so commercial there's nothing really left of it. Families are so removed they don't get together and when they do the holidays are often an excuse to drink together. Actually, it's the #1 reason most of our relatives won't party at our house. Growing up, every part of Christmas had a meaning, it was all about the birth of Jesus, the giving, the sharing, the bonding, and you come out feeling closer to family and God. Now I don't even want to look at it.

Christmas and other Christian holidays were often set over the pagan holidays to redirect the festivities. In Christian logic, bringing pagans to a new holiday is an opportunity to convert them. If you hold a bigger parade, most forget the small ones. They had to come up with a date because everyone has a birthday...kinda thing.

The pine tree. Best reason to put a pine tree in your house is alpha-pinene. It's a compound found in evergreen trees known to clear respiratory tracts. I guess the pagans figured it out first, no idea. Decorating has gone through many changes. LEDs replace candles, etc. but have gone more secular santa and corporate logo. Whatever Christian meaning it had is pretty much lost.

The experience of Christmas in the proper form, with meaning and pure hearts could be compared to a true believer during Ramadan, but you're not likely to find it outside the homes of very few people anymore. 

If you want to do Christmas as it is, you must also accept santa claus and put an elf on your shelf. 

I see it like this: even if the date is absurd, if you're having a celebration of the birth of a prophet and you treat it as such, that's a good thing, right?

I like Christmas because I like to give gifts to my family and friends. This year I am making all of those gifts myself because to me, that allows me to put my love into the gift and thus make it more meaningful while subverting the awful consumerist and materialistic celebration that America is pushing on us to make us spend money.

Remember that Christmas traditions are radically different between cultures and families, too. My family doesn't drink because most of us are on prescriptions (which the deleterious effects of alcohol almost never, ever mix well with... That and we find eggnog disgusting). Mistletoe has never been in our home because to quote my mother "I'm not kissing people--" (I was forced to kiss neighbors by my dad's parents as a kid, and it felt dreadful and sickening, so I am similarly "cold" toward others. Oh well).

Christmas is an excuse for us to eat sweets and gather. We are also Greek catholics before we were disgusted by the scandals of the Catholic Church & we are still quite "ethnic" for first and second generation Americans, so a lot of Ukrainian ethnic traditions are shoehorned onto the holiday lest we forget how Josef Stalin tried to erase us from the earth in 1932-33 for remembering who we were and wear we came from.

It's actually a fairly private holiday for us.

Imam khomeini's gift to his christian neighbors 

Visit to christian martyr family on Christmas 2016 by Ayt(Imam) Khamenei

That sweet evening (Ayatollah [Imam] khamenei meeting a Christian family)

My family and my husband's family are all Christian, and none of them (at least no close family) drink alcohol at all. They decorate with lights and a tree and stuff, and buy things, especially for the kids, but it's mostly about family, and of course they go to Church. 

We don't do Christmas at home - but we do get to visit and exchange gifts with our family members. I guess it's a fun loophole for us. 

2 hours ago, notme said:

My family and my husband's family are all Christian, and none of them (at least no close family) drink alcohol at all. They decorate with lights and a tree and stuff, and buy things, especially for the kids, but it's mostly about family, and of course they go to Church. 

We don't do Christmas at home - but we do get to visit and exchange gifts with our family members. I guess it's a fun loophole for us. 

I was invited to an Iftar(?) once. I felt very honored not being a Muslim and the food was absolutely incredible but I don't know what it was (doesn't matter, because it's halal and thus I trust it as healthy and safe to eat compared to McVomit or the poison processed trash most Americans live off of & I also know that the meat was slaughtered humanely by this factor). 

I'm probably incorrect, but didn't The Prophet (pbuh) say that "Every people have an Eid and this is theirs" When someone wanted to stop a celebration that a culture was having?

My family usually celebrates Christmas according to the Julian calendar because we are Ukrainian Americans, so our holiday is usually in the month of January.

[We used to go to church until the church ruled in favor of my father for an annulment (after he gave his diocese a massive donation) and by extension, tries to argue that my sister and I are now "illegitimate" (which is a lie because I have the marriage certificate from the Roman rite church where my parents were married as well as the civil marriage license from the state of New Jersey dated to 1983 which was a full two years before my mother became pregnant with me, as this sort of thing was very important to her parents & I was born in April of 1986 in Perth Amboy, NJ according to my birth certificate). <--- to chase that rabbit, I think that this is why I am very upset with and feel betrayed by Catholicism.]

Now we just eat food, exchange gifts, and enjoy each other's company, maybe read the Bible's "Christmas story" together, but there is no church attendance to speak of particularly since I am on poor terms with area churches for my refusal to believe that 1. Jesus is God  2. That the crucifixion is "necessary" as a blood sacrifice as a precondition for God to forgive sins because God doesn't require or need anything in order to do whatever he wants to do, including forgive sins. 3. Don't believe that the Bible is the "literal word of God" and most certainly not the parts that were written by Saul of Tarsus decades after Jesus walked through Palestine.

Also, people don't like my pointing out that "Santa Claus" was just a Christian Bishop (in what is now Turkey) and say that it makes me a "Scrooge"

Really, it's more about being with my mother, sister, and grandmother (who is rapidly deteriorating with dementia, sadly) for me now than anything else and it has been so commercialized in America that I could honestly leave it if my family decided that they didn't want to do it anymore; but since my mother does, I respect her wishes and authority. 

10 minutes ago, GD41586 said:

since my mother does, I respect her wishes and authority. 

My mother also loves Christmas. All her children and grandchildren come together, I think that's her favorite thing. But also she grew up poor, and she loves lavishing gifts upon her grandchildren. 

She's still Roman Catholic, and invites me to join her at Mass usually, but I always decline. If she invited me to accompany her to the children's service, I might, but the midnight mass is just long and boring and crowded and stuffy and miserable to me. 

3 minutes ago, notme said:

My mother also loves Christmas. All her children and grandchildren come together, I think that's her favorite thing. But also she grew up poor, and she loves lavishing gifts upon her grandchildren. 

She's still Roman Catholic, and invites me to join her at Mass usually, but I always decline. If she invited me to accompany her to the children's service, I might, but the midnight mass is just long and boring and crowded and stuffy and miserable to me. 

I'll admit that the "smells and bells" are really the only thing about Christianity that still even appeal to me, because the moral guidance is pretty much non-existent at this point in American history, and to me, that's really a key part of having a religion at all: so that you know how to live and that how your lifestyle affects your neighbors and community at large.

The whole annulment thing that happened earlier this year has kept me from stepping foot inside a Catholic church since then, as I feel insulted and betrayed that they would rule my parents' marriage as "never having happened" based on a large check to the bishop from one of the parties involved who went before God and took that oath. If they would just admit that they are not infallible and that yes, divorces DO happen, I think the outcome would have been very different for me.

My mother also grew up rather poor. They lived out in a rural community in upstate NY and her father was usually working long hours fighting fires and enforcing hunting/fishing/pollution laws as a NYS Forest Ranger, and he was a child of the great depression AND an immigrant/refugee from Soviet Ukraine who narrowly escaped the genocide/famine that Josef Stalin and his atheist totalitarian regime imposed on Ukrainian people for attempting to maintain their religion and dignity after the Russian revolution, so I think that Christmas probably tends to be a bigger deal to people if they grew up with less money or were from a particularly ethnic family background.

6 hours ago, GD41586 said:

I was invited to an Iftar(?) once. I felt very honored not being a Muslim and the food was absolutely incredible but I don't know what it was (doesn't matter, because it's halal and thus I trust it as healthy and safe to eat compared to McVomit or the poison processed trash most Americans live off of & I also know that the meat was slaughtered humanely by this factor). 

I'm probably incorrect, but didn't The Prophet (pbuh) say that "Every people have an Eid and this is theirs" When someone wanted to stop a celebration that a culture was having?

My family usually celebrates Christmas according to the Julian calendar because we are Ukrainian Americans, so our holiday is usually in the month of January.

[We used to go to church until the church ruled in favor of my father for an annulment (after he gave his diocese a massive donation) and by extension, tries to argue that my sister and I are now "illegitimate" (which is a lie because I have the marriage certificate from the Roman rite church where my parents were married as well as the civil marriage license from the state of New Jersey dated to 1983 which was a full two years before my mother became pregnant with me, as this sort of thing was very important to her parents & I was born in April of 1986 in Perth Amboy, NJ according to my birth certificate). <--- to chase that rabbit, I think that this is why I am very upset with and feel betrayed by Catholicism.]

Now we just eat food, exchange gifts, and enjoy each other's company, maybe read the Bible's "Christmas story" together, but there is no church attendance to speak of particularly since I am on poor terms with area churches for my refusal to believe that 1. Jesus is God  2. That the crucifixion is "necessary" as a blood sacrifice as a precondition for God to forgive sins because God doesn't require or need anything in order to do whatever he wants to do, including forgive sins. 3. Don't believe that the Bible is the "literal word of God" and most certainly not the parts that were written by Saul of Tarsus decades after Jesus walked through Palestine.

Also, people don't like my pointing out that "Santa Claus" was just a Christian Bishop (in what is now Turkey) and say that it makes me a "Scrooge"

Really, it's more about being with my mother, sister, and grandmother (who is rapidly deteriorating with dementia, sadly) for me now than anything else and it has been so commercialized in America that I could honestly leave it if my family decided that they didn't want to do it anymore; but since my mother does, I respect her wishes and authority. 

:salam:

May you and your family be blessed. 

I believe if Christmas or any occasion is important to one's parents and relatives, one should be present at any cost, as long as it does not compromise one's ideas.

Salaam alaykom

I know some can not get YouTube, I was just given permission to upload on shiatv.net do please check it out if you couldnt from YouTube.

https://www.shiatv.net/video/1973783562

On 12/14/2018 at 7:54 PM, GD41586 said:

that "Every people have an Eid and this is theirs" When someone wanted to stop a celebration that a culture was having?

Hi Imam Ali (as) said : every day that you don’t commit sin ,that day is Eid & said :make every day Eid for us (Ahlulbayt as)

also visiting relatives highly advised in Islam & highly advised to not cut your ties with them .

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Christmas is about being together with family, not really Christianity per se.  most of the people in my family do drink, but don’t get hammered. My wife is culturally Christian, and the traditional symbols are important to her. I spend the Eids alone, so western holidays are my family time.  Also, eggnog is awesome. 

Edited by Paul Wick

Salaam alaykum

On this note will it be considered sinful to hang lightings in your house. Or can we do it with intention of New Years and not promoting Christianity. Or can we do it with intention of celebrating Prophet Jesus’s birthday?