shia_100

Is it haram to go to a mixed gym according to ayatollah sistani?

Rate this topic

Brother @Sumerian posted this on one of the threads.

Question: Is it haram for me to go to to a gym ( a training center for body builders) where women and men both can sign up for training there? It is nearly impossible to find a gym that is only restricted for men, here in Scandinavia (Denmark). How should I act?

Answer: It is not allowed.

2 hours ago, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Brother @Sumerian posted this on one of the threads.

Question: Is it haram for me to go to to a gym ( a training center for body builders) where women and men both can sign up for training there? It is nearly impossible to find a gym that is only restricted for men, here in Scandinavia (Denmark). How should I act?

Answer: It is not allowed.

Salam brother, could we say that it would be ok if one goes to a mixed swimming pool just in a casual occasion as the ruling says not permissible if it results in a sin however it should not be made a routine as the ruling also says it must be avoided even if it does not result in a sin?

18 minutes ago, shia_100 said:

Salam brother, could we say that it would be ok if one goes to a mixed swimming pool just in a casual occasion as the ruling says not permissible if it results in a sin however it should not be made a routine as the ruling also says it must be avoided even if it does not result in a sin?

I personally don't go to mixed gym or mixed swimming pool (its really inappropriate). If Amiralmuminin was in your situation, what would he do? Do the same thing.

Edited by AmirAlmuminin Lover

2 hours ago, shia_100 said:

I don't know WHERE you got that ruling from brother but this is what Sayyid Sistani says on his website all you had to google was "sistani swimming pool" and it's the first link. Please don't spread false fatwas as it is dangerous for the entire Ummah and especially for you in THIS life and the NEXT.

Question: Is it permissible for a Muslim man to go to a mixed swimming pool with the knowledge that the women there swimming suits form and would not listen to any admonishing?

Answer: Although looking without bad thoughts or lustful intentions at the women who are indecently dressed (and who would not listen to you if you wish to admonish them) is allowed, yet based on obligatory precaution, going to such places is absolutely forbidden.

Edited by aaljibar

2 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I asked two sheikhs about this mixed gym ruling of Sayed Sistani, they said that it is okay to go during times when no woman will be present in the gym.

That’s nice! That’s what I thought too. 

Edited by AStruggler

I have noticed that numerous Muslim women attend the gym where i exercise. It is also a YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) lol! 

But they are modestly dressed.

Here in the US it is difficult to find a male-only gym.

One recommendation would be to find a boxing gym. Such a place is typically very inexpensive and almost entirely populated by men (very rare to see women in such places, and even if they are there, they won't be dressed provocatively). 

10 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I asked two sheikhs about this mixed gym ruling of Sayed Sistani, they said that it is okay to go during times when no woman will be present in the gym.

True, I'd personally buy my own bench, squat rack, dumbbells and barbell and pull up bar with 109 tonnes of weight and work out at home. Since you can at least get your money back after you're done with the equipment rather than renting out the gym as you do with a membership (and also avoid unnecessary chit chat and waiting for machines/dumbells ;) )

Edited by aaljibar

22 minutes ago, aaljibar said:

True, I'd personally buy my own bench, squat rack, dumbbells and barbell and pull up bar with 109 tonnes of weight and work out at home. Since you can at least get your money back after you're done with the equipment rather than renting out the gym as you do with a membership (and also avoid unnecessary chit chat and waiting for machines/dumbells ;) )

Yeah sounds nice man! But my house isn't that spacious, like all my gym equipment will have to be placed at the backyard or something.

4 hours ago, aaljibar said:

I thought of this, and yeah a lot of us only really need the equipment you listed. Do you have an idea of how much it would all cost?

Close to $1000.

It's the amount you spend for a lifetime and you could get most of it back if you decide to stop, compared to spending that amount on a gym membership for after 3 years

10 minutes ago, aaljibar said:

Close to $1000.

It's the amount you spend for a lifetime and you could get most of it back if you decide to stop, compared to spending that amount on a gym membership for after 3 years

Oh that’s actually not even that bad. It would def be a great investment. Space would just kinda be an issue though for me.

Edited by AStruggler

Will all my respect to the scholars behind Sayed Sistani, this fatwa appears really flawed.

By this logic, one shouldn't go out of their house in the West unless they need food, water, or they are going to work in order to earn a living. This is because people in public dress even less appropriately than the gym often times! If people don't "need" to go to the gym to maintain their health, then why should people "need" to go to a shopping mall for extra stuff, or go out to buy chocolates, or visit a friend, etc.

Some people need the gym in order to maintain their health - Islam highly encourages maintaining a healthy body through physical activity. Many other types of gyms, including boxing gyms, are actually quite expensive often times. Running outside can only help so much, and there are times when it is not feasible and downright repulsive. What does one do during 5 months of winter? Sloth at home? Or run outside and catch pneumonias repeatedly?

I'd love if anyone knows the logic behind the fatwa just out of curiosity, because as far as my experience goes, it's doable to avoid even glancing at women while at a mixed gym. Yes it takes a lot of awareness to do that, but it is very doable.

I'm glad my taqleed is different.

20 minutes ago, dragonxx said:

Will all my respect to the scholars behind Sayed Sistani, this fatwa appears really flawed.

By this logic, one shouldn't go out of their house in the West unless they need food, water, or they are going to work in order to earn a living. This is because people in public dress even less appropriately than the gym often times! If people don't "need" to go to the gym to maintain their health, then why should people "need" to go to a shopping mall for extra stuff, or go out to buy chocolates, or visit a friend, etc.

Some people need the gym in order to maintain their health - Islam highly encourages maintaining a healthy body through physical activity. Many other types of gyms, including boxing gyms, are actually quite expensive often times. Running outside can only help so much, and there are times when it is not feasible and downright repulsive. What does one do during 5 months of winter? Sloth at home? Or run outside and catch pneumonias repeatedly?

I'd love if anyone knows the logic behind the fatwa just out of curiosity, because as far as my experience goes, it's doable to avoid even glancing at women while at a mixed gym. Yes it takes a lot of awareness to do that, but it is very doable.

I'm glad my taqleed is different.

As much as I didn’t enjoy reading that QnA on their site, it does definitely still has a lot of logic behind it! Yes, outside in the open people do dress inappropriately, however at places like the gym and swimming pools the chances of seeing inappropriately dressed people are most of the time greater than out in the open. I believe that the essence of this fatwa is to avoid going to places where the chance of sinning with the eyes (or not just with the eyes) is a lot higher and this makes complete sense. I believe this is what was trying to be expressed in in this QnA. I guess it would’ve been nice if they provided more details and clarity in their answer. If you’re going to a gym where this sort of accessibility to sin is not a threat to you then I guess it should be fine.

Edited by AStruggler

2 hours ago, dragonxx said:

By this logic, one shouldn't go out of their house in the West unless they need food, water, or they are going to work in order to earn a living. This is because people in public dress even less appropriately than the gym often times!

Salam people in gym don't wear like as what they wear outside because they need to move their body freely & beside that people are in more contact with each other in gym than outside house ,we most follow public dress code at outside of house &even  most of people in streets follow somehow more modest dress code than gym except in some occasions like as public celebrations & we have more chance in outside of house to avoid contacting with more than in gym.

19 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Oh that’s actually not even that bad. It would def be a great investment. Space would just kinda be an issue though for me.

Chuck it all in your mum's room. If she asks what was that for, say "this is a little gift I bought for you" 

19 hours ago, AStruggler said:

however at places like the gym and swimming pools the chances of seeing inappropriately dressed people are most of the time greater than out in the open

swimming pool aside, totally false where I'm living when in the summer.

women at the gym at least wear long pants and high top shirts, whereas when they go out in public they often cross by me in the street or wherever in mini skirts and low cut shirts =/

17 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam people in gym don't wear like as what they wear outside because they need to move their body freely & beside that people are in more contact with each other in gym than outside house ,we most follow public dress code at outside of house &even  most of people in streets follow somehow more modest dress code than gym except in some occasions like as public celebrations & we have more chance in outside of house to avoid contacting with more than in gym.

Salam. Again disagree here as well, the gym i go to there are indeed a handful of women but i have yet to see any interactions at all. I myself have yet to be forced into interaction with them despite going there for a while now. And again, the public 'dress code' in the West is non-existent.

I'm sorry but this fatwa imo is poorly written. Perhaps it was referring to mixed gym classes, where men and women participate in the same class (yoga, stretching, plyo, cycling, etc.), there would definitely be an issue here because repeatedly catching vision of the women is unavoidable.

Merely going to a gym for the weight room or to jump on the treadmill where you are doing your own thing shouldn't be an issue.

Bottom line, the chances of seeing an inappropriately dressed women in the West is just as high or even higher chances in public than it is at the gym (except during winter), that's just my experience which is why this fatwa makes no sense in the context it has placed itself. 

7 hours ago, dragonxx said:

I'm sorry but this fatwa imo is poorly written. Perhaps it was referring to mixed gym classes, where men and women participate in the same class (yoga, stretching, plyo, cycling, etc.), there would definitely be an issue here because repeatedly catching vision of the women is unavoidable.

Merely going to a gym for the weight room or to jump on the treadmill where you are doing your own thing shouldn't be an issue.

Bottom line, the chances of seeing an inappropriately dressed women in the West is just as high or even higher chances in public than it is at the gym (except during winter), that's just my experience which is why this fatwa makes no sense in the context it has placed itself. 

Salam ,it's not just about seeing but also in gyms Men can see prominent part of women during work out even it covered with long pants and high top shirts that is not acceptable 

,we can't break Fatwa rule but we must adopt our live to it ,the gyms als exist in Iraq & Iran so a Marja can understand situation also uses an advisor but Men & Women can't mix at this places based what Quran & Ahlulbayt (as) teachings 

IMHO i think for fixing this problem as said muslims in a group  west can barrow a gym or stuff for a specific time or make a gym like as mosque for themselves & set specific times for men & Women.

I swim quite regularly. You really don't see that much when you are swimming, maybe just the slightest glimpse for a split second as you pass by. Your field of vision is quite restricted when you are swimming in the pool, at least if you go at times where the pool is dedicated to lane swimming. It's the filth of the water I worry about.