Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Yahyayu

New to the forum

Rate this topic

As-salamu alaykum,

New to this forum and wanted to ask a few questions. I'm unsure whether this is the right place. A little about myself before I begin. Alhamdullilah I converted to Islam a while back, with most of my friends/peers/colleagues etc being followers of Ahlus sunnah. So all I've known up until now is Sunni based information on Islam. 

I was recently speaking to another friend from my past who I did not realise was a follower of the Shia school of thought. He was not aware of my coming to Islam as we had not spoken for a long time. I had only heard about Shia Islam here and there & majority of the time it was negative so I mentioned this to my friend and wanted someone who was actually Shia to tell me about themselves and their following.

I was very surprised in how little I actually knew about such major events that happened i.e Karbala, the appointment of successor after the prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h & his family & how it all unfolded. We spoke of more but these are a couple of topics that stuck out. I was so shocked when briefly hearing about the tragic incidents of Karbala but I knew nothing of it. I blamed myself a little but it was just never spoke of previously.

I'm now left very confused as I now have conflicted views & due to only ever learning about Islam through a Sunni perspective I've conducted myself in said way. Although it's been an up and down journey, with highs & lows.

Would anyone recommend anywhere for me to start? Book wise, in terms of gaining some knowledge on basic things first but through a Shia perspective.

I also have other questions that further explain my confusions/conflictions & would be happy to endulge in conversation with an open mind/heart.

Jazakallah khair

8 hours ago, Yahyayu said:

As-salamu alaykum,

New to this forum and wanted to ask a few questions. I'm unsure whether this is the right place. A little about myself before I begin. Alhamdullilah I converted to Islam a while back, with most of my friends/peers/colleagues etc being followers of Ahlus sunnah. So all I've known up until now is Sunni based information on Islam. 

I was recently speaking to another friend from my past who I did not realise was a follower of the Shia school of thought. He was not aware of my coming to Islam as we had not spoken for a long time. I had only heard about Shia Islam here and there & majority of the time it was negative so I mentioned this to my friend and wanted someone who was actually Shia to tell me about themselves and their following.

I was very surprised in how little I actually knew about such major events that happened i.e Karbala, the appointment of successor after the prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h & his family & how it all unfolded. We spoke of more but these are a couple of topics that stuck out. I was so shocked when briefly hearing about the tragic incidents of Karbala but I knew nothing of it. I blamed myself a little but it was just never spoke of previously.

I'm now left very confused as I now have conflicted views & due to only ever learning about Islam through a Sunni perspective I've conducted myself in said way. Although it's been an up and down journey, with highs & lows.

Would anyone recommend anywhere for me to start? Book wise, in terms of gaining some knowledge on basic things first but through a Shia perspective.

I also have other questions that further explain my confusions/conflictions & would be happy to endulge in conversation with an open mind/heart.

Jazakallah khair

Wa Salam,wellcome brother.

Many brothers from Ahlu-l-Sunnah dont know about Jamal,about Siffin,about Karbala,it is not uncomon.

If you wanna learn basic of scool of Ahlu-l-Bayt i recommend to start here,at first post 

Brother that open topic,is done amazing job

You have also few nice advices at post bellow.

Wellcome again&WaSalam

4 hours ago, Yahyayu said:

Salam welcome to Islam & our forum :clap:

you can start it with 

10 curious facts about Shia Islam | BISKIT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ6f2aclY9zzLV11sWe7jhA

then 

Who are the Shia? - Sayed Moustafa Al-Qazwini

http://allaboutshias.com

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Salam brother, if there is something you want to know about, don't mind asking us here. I do believe that the brothers above me gave some good ways to start, but if there's something you stumble across and find a certain belief about Shiism a bit odd, don't mind telling us.

Salaam Brother

welcome to islam

I recommend Islamic Pulse and Ammar Nakshawani lectures on YouTube.

Also Then I Was Guided by Muhammad Tijani is a good book available for free here: 

https://www.al-islam.org/then-i-was-guided-muhammad-al-tijani-al-samawi

May Allah Reward you for your struggle and may He guide us all.

Wsalam