Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Questioner

Etiquettes of drinking n eating

Rate this topic

So what are the teachings in terms of drinking? Standing to drink is more preferable or sitting? Or both ok?

Sunnis quote Imam Ali a.s. quote that in bukhari he drank water from left over water of Wuzu n he drank that standing saying that people in kufa seem to not know that standing to drink water is sunnah n that's how rasul saw did it n he showed them how.

How about eating?

Some had said must drink water sitting

Some say can stand n drink

Some say dont breath into the water.

Some say totally hold your breath n drink the cup of water in 3 parts.

Thoughts?

On 12/6/2018 at 3:17 PM, Questioner said:

So what are the teachings in terms of drinking? Standing to drink is more preferable or sitting? Or both ok?

Sunnis quote Imam Ali a.s. quote that in bukhari he drank water from left over water of Wuzu n he drank that standing saying that people in kufa seem to not know that standing to drink water is sunnah n that's how rasul saw did it n he showed them how.

How about eating?

Some had said must drink water sitting

Some say can stand n drink

Some say dont breath into the water.

Some say totally hold your breath n drink the cup of water in 3 parts.

Thoughts?

السَّلآمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ الله وبَرَكآتُه 

Respected brother @Questioner

Hope you are fine إِنْ شَاء َ اللَّه 

First and foremost is to recite Bismillah completely.

In regards to drinking water, one should sit and drink a glass of water in at least 3 breaths. (Sunnah) and scientifically proven as well to sit and drink is beneficial for human kidneys.

Remember onething whatever is sunnah is beneficial for us.

In regards to eating, @Salsabeel can share something perhaps.

I keep bread to my right side as my father taught me.

Recite bismillah completely before in a voice that others could also hear preferably so if they have forgotten to recite they may recite it too and after eating to say 'Alhamdulilah'.

Chewing of food thoroughly is recommended so to ease/help the churning process of the food inside the stomach.

And since you have brought this topic, I request you and everyone to stay away from cold drinks. Pepsi Coca Cola etc...

You would be surprised to hear by the (Jews) as to how terrible it is.

Why am I mentioning Jews is because it is owned by them only.

Thank you all for your replies it helped!

I want to ask about the following hadith 

Narrated An-Nazzal: Ali came to the gate of the courtyard (of the Mosque) and drank (water) while he was standing and said, "Some people dislike to drink while standing, but I saw the Prophet doing (drinking water) as you have seen me doing now."  

Narrated An-Nazzal bin Sabra: 'Ali offered the Zuhr prayer and then sat down in the wide courtyard (of the Mosque) of Kufa in order to deal with the affairs of the people till the 'Asr prayer became due. Then water was brought to him and he drank of it, washed his face, hands, head and feet. Then he stood up and drank the remaining water while he was standing. and said, "Some people dislike to drink water while standing thought the Prophet did as I have just done."  

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet drank Zam-Zam (water) while standing.  

Bukhari 

Do v find something along these lines in Shia traditions or accept this as true also?