Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Qa'im

The Rise of the Qaim - paperback and ebook

Rate this topic

On 2/4/2019 at 6:23 PM, Fink said:

I ordered your book Qaim.  I'm skeptical on this issue, and see the twelver Imam an invention of man, nothing more. 

However, Id like to see what you have compiled and will respond in more detail once I finish the book.

The great thing is that you are reading...may Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) be your helper. 

Personally for me the darood e Ibrahimi(عليه السلام) is sufficient to confirm the residence of the 12, the succession and the on going present tense of the darood. 

On 12/4/2018 at 12:24 AM, Qa'im said:
On 12/4/2018 at 12:24 AM, Qa'im said:

Salaam alaykum,

I am very proud to present the culmination of nearly ten years of research on the Twelfth Imam, al-Hujja b. a-Hasan, al-Mahdi, al-Qa'im, the Patron of Time, peace be upon him.

This is by far the most comprehensive English work on the subject

Wa alaikum as salam

Great to know that you had compiled and translated the most comprehensive work on Imam Qaim (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف).

Heartiest Congratulations....

Just visited the link and price is apprx 17USD for paper back. It is true that people from western world can buy books in this price range quite easily but waht about third world countries where majority of human race is living. 

I think you should try to revise the price of book for third world countries for larger audience.

W/Salam

7 hours ago, haidermpr said:

Just visited the link and price is apprx 17USD for paper back. It is true that people from western world can buy books in this price range quite easily but waht about third world countries where majority of human race is living.  

I think you should try to revise the price of book for third world countries for larger audience.

Unfortunately Amazon does not allow me to set different prices for different countries.

In terms of bringing it lower than $17: As you may know, there are printing costs, royalties, and taxes, so I probably make about $5 per book sale or less. I understand that $5 may be a lot in certain countries, but where I live, it is not enough to buy anything. I still have not "broken even" with this book.

Maybe you could split the costs with someone, or maybe you can tell a local mosque or library to order the book.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:26 PM, Qa'im said:

where I live, it is not enough to buy anything. I still have not "broken even" with this book

Brother Salam,

It is not problem for me as I can afford to buy even in this price range but majority of people wont be able to buy..There are large percentage of people in Asia and Africa who have to earn that much amount of money to feed their families. I hope you understand. 

29 minutes ago, haidermpr said:

Brother Salam,

It is not problem for me as I can afford to buy even in this price range but majority of people wont be able to buy..There are large percentage of people in Asia and Africa who have to earn that much amount of money to feed their families. I hope you understand. 

The book needs to be ordered on Amazon either as a paperback or as an online book. Anyone who has a device to connect to the internet will certainly be able to afford it. 

Wallahu a'lam 

سلام،

We need to think of creative ways to buy and distribute this book to people, who may not be able to afford it. 

Perhaps, different individuals, who can afford it, can consider it their monthly charity and send one copy per month to someone who can't afford it. 

This is just one idea, and may not be the best one. 

Let's think of other ideas to buy and distribute this book. In the next month or two, we'll choose one of the ideas and will proceed to implement it.

What do you guys think?

Congrats and I like that there is a reminder pinned on top that mentions the current Imam. In sha Allah I will buy this book next time I go to Europe. My only suggestion would be to make it an open source once you break even, or give 100 % of the money as charity, starting with your closest family members. This is to make sure that you don't commercialize the thing and await your reward from Allah. But maybe I'm wrong, make salatul istekhara about it once and if you break even inshallah. 

5 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

Congrats and I like that there is a reminder pinned on top that mentions the current Imam. In sha Allah I will buy this book next time I go to Europe. My only suggestion would be to make it an open source once you break even, or give 100 % of the money as charity, starting with your closest family members. This is to make sure that you don't commercialize the thing and await your reward from Allah. But maybe I'm wrong, make salatul istekhara about it once and if you break even inshallah.  

I am considering giving the proceeds to a charitable cause once I break even. I think I will break even if I sell 50 more copies.

1 hour ago, Qa'im said:

I am considering giving the proceeds to a charitable cause once I break even. I think I will break even if I sell 50 more copies.

Allah bless you, Brother. I pray that you succeed and that Allah strengthens you in all your Islamic endeavors. 

On 4/8/2019 at 7:56 AM, Qa'im said:

The book is on sale for the birth month of Imam al-Mahdi (عليه السلام). For this month only you can have it for $10 inshallah.

Brother Qa'im has generously reduced the price of the book during the month of Rajab. Read this topic for details on ordering. 

On 4/8/2019 at 5:56 PM, Qa'im said:

The book is on sale for the birth month of Imam al-Mahdi (عليه السلام). For this month only you can have it for $10 inshallah.

YESSSSSS! Ordering it finally. :party::yahoo:

lolz.. everyone..please don't take me wrong. I am not cheap,especially not when it comes to books. Its just that the shipping costs for my country are too high. 

On 4/10/2019 at 3:45 PM, starlight said:

please don't take me wrong. I am not cheap,especially not when it comes to books. Its just that the shipping costs for my country are too high. 

Sister dear, you did not owe anyone that explanation.

You have the exclusive right to decide when and what to buy and how to spend your money.

Every sensible person would like to make a saving where possible.

It does not mean that the person so doing is cheap.

And it is no one else's concern anyway.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:45 AM, starlight said:

YESSSSSS! Ordering it finally. :party::yahoo:

lolz.. everyone..please don't take me wrong. I am not cheap,especially not when it comes to books. Its just that the shipping costs for my country are too high. 

I usually get it as 'Kindle Edition' or as an e-book. You don't need a kindle device to read it. It will change the text into different formats for the device you are using. No Shipping cost and you get it instantly via a download link. 

2 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

I usually get it as 'Kindle Edition' or as an e-book. You don't need a kindle device to read it. It will change the text into different formats for the device you are using. No Shipping cost and you get it instantly via a download link. 

I don't know if this has changed now but until a couple of years ago Amazon did not sell ebooks in Pakistan. I tried buying books but was not allowed since my account is registered in Pakistan. But thank you for the suggestion. Will definitely give it a try next time.

On 5/4/2019 at 3:10 PM, notme said:

I was waiting for the Kindle version to be available again, but I might have to buy a $10 copy. I don't mind owning both print and digital if it comes to that. 

If you would like me to sell it to you as a PDF, you can message me. The cost however is back to its regular price ($20)

2 hours ago, Qa'im said:

If you would like me to sell it to you as a PDF, you can message me. The cost however is back to its regular price ($20)

Thank you, but for now I'll read the paper copy. Are you not planning to have a kindle edition? 

Guest Questioner
2 hours ago, Qa'im said:

May Allah greatly reward you for your efforts truly, but given PDF copies cost next to nothing in physical copy costs, 20 dollars may dissuade a lot of people from buying it. As you saw, when it was brought down to ten dollars, many senior users on here with stable incomes suddenly showed more interest. 

8 hours ago, notme said:

Thank you, but for now I'll read the paper copy. Are you not planning to have a kindle edition? 

No because the Arabic isn’t copying correctly on kindle. I would need to spend some time figuring it out or fixing it.

7 hours ago, Guest Questioner said:

but given PDF copies cost next to nothing in physical copy costs, 20 dollars may dissuade a lot of people from buying It. As you saw, when it was brought down to ten dollars, many senior users on here with stable incomes suddenly showed more interest

The price is not just determined by printing cost, but by effort. I understand that some don’t want to pay $20 to learn about the 12th Imam — the book is not intended for such people, they are not the target audience.

As for why the PDF costs the same as the print book: every time I share the PDF, there is a chance that the book is leaked, and thus a PDF sale may cost me book sales.

I will not say how much money I have spent on advertising for this book, but I have not yet broken even. This does not include the many hours over 10 years that I have spent working on the book. Inshallah the Ajr is with Allah. But as the reviews suggest, this book is one-of-a-kind, and the price will stay at $20 for the time being.

rps20190509_215912_976.thumb.jpg.57d159f4920e4e0e8dc2a841a7d631d6.jpg

Received mine today after a long wait (five weeks!) Much to my delight my 10yr old was deeply interested and curious as soon as the book came out of the package and wanted to start reading it immediately. We spent some time before dinner reading and discussing the first chapter. 

It's a pleasure to read. The book size is good, page layout is easy on the eyes, footnotes are very useful,each hadith is graded in bold. Thank you brother @Qa'im. Your reward is with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and Masoomen (عليه السلام) InshaAllah.

@Qa'im almost all of my ebooks are Kindle books. I might buy a PDF copy, but unfortunately I tend to forget about the existence of my PDF books since they're on another device or in another app. I'll decide later, after my book budget has refilled. 

Guest Critique
On 5/9/2019 at 9:50 AM, Qa'im said:

Brother mashallah amazing effort:

I’ve been thinking to critique the work a bit, maybe some of it could be useful in next editions:

1. The references don’t seem to be truly references. Besides Tafseer al Qummi, you didn’t post many references. You did explain the terms like a glossary which is different from the References. I kept on feeling this as a major gap in the book.

2. For a 195 page book, the Amazon printing cost won’t be more than $3. Charing a 5x, 6x, 7x premium sounds a bit out of the league. 

3. Even though it may have taken you 10 years of work, for anybody aware of the major Hadith books and a few Shia tafseer could collect somewhat similar. I apologise if I sound like I’m diminishing your effort, which I’m not, but the Level of Effort seem to be subjective, again see the price premium validation above.

4. The Arabic text: you have done serous effort there as I could clearly see you used a’Arab in some places and skipped them altogether in most places. Maybe copying an image of the actual Hadith as opposed to typing the text would make it easier and also cleaner. 

5. Overall it’s a good collection of topical Hadith material about Imam AF but I kept on debating if it would be more beneficial to use the time to translate Chapters of Imam Mahdi AF  from Bihar ul Anwaar. 

These are the few things that I thought of after having the book. I purchased it at the $35 price point from Amazon so maybe I was expecting much more based on the price point where I could get a more denser book of Ay. Tabatabei or Hossein Nasr quality on this topic. Most of my Amazon purchase are of similar genre. 

May Allah bless you for your hard work. 

1 hour ago, Guest Critique said:

Brother mashallah amazing effort:

I’ve been thinking to critique the work a bit, maybe some of it could be useful in next editions:

1. The references don’t seem to be truly references. Besides Tafseer al Qummi, you didn’t post many references. You did explain the terms like a glossary which is different from the References. I kept on feeling this as a major gap in the book.

2. For a 195 page book, the Amazon printing cost won’t be more than $3. Charing a 5x, 6x, 7x premium sounds a bit out of the league. 

3. Even though it may have taken you 10 years of work, for anybody aware of the major Hadith books and a few Shia tafseer could collect somewhat similar. I apologise if I sound like I’m diminishing your effort, which I’m not, but the Level of Effort seem to be subjective, again see the price premium validation above.

4. The Arabic text: you have done serous effort there as I could clearly see you used a’Arab in some places and skipped them altogether in most places. Maybe copying an image of the actual Hadith as opposed to typing the text would make it easier and also cleaner. 

5. Overall it’s a good collection of topical Hadith material about Imam AF but I kept on debating if it would be more beneficial to use the time to translate Chapters of Imam Mahdi AF  from Bihar ul Anwaar. 

These are the few things that I thought of after having the book. I purchased it at the $35 price point from Amazon so maybe I was expecting much more based on the price point where I could get a more denser book of Ay. Tabatabei or Hossein Nasr quality on this topic. Most of my Amazon purchase are of similar genre. 

May Allah bless you for your hard work. 

Thank you for your feedback and kind prayers,

1. I did not understand the first point about references — I provided hadiths with book/chapter/number/Arabic not just from Tafsir al-Qummi, but from al-Kafi, Kamal al-Deen, Tusi’s Ghayba, Nu’mani’s Ghayba, Qurb al-Isnad, al-Mahasin, Basa’ir al-Darajat, and other books.

2. The printing cost is about $4, plus 40% Amazon royalty, so I currently make about $7 per book. Again, this does not include advertising costs. But since the price seems have for many folks, I put it on sale for $10 for Shaban ($3.60 profit).

On a side note, most translations cost way more than this — I translated a different work for my university, and I was given about $20 per page for that.

3. The book was completed in a few phases: first, I collected every hadith on Imam Mahdi I could find — that master file is about 1000 pages. Then, I (with the help of others) graded all of the hadiths in that master file. Then, I translated the strongest hadiths. Then, I formatted it into chapters, wrote introductions and footnotes, and provided references. Then a brother helped me with the final edits. So it’s not just a 195 page translation, it’s a project that required me to improve my Arabic, learn about hadith grading, read commentaries, etc. If someone can do a better job for free then I give them my blessing, but it has not been done.

4. I agree, this is a good point.

5. Translating is one thing, grading and sifting is another. But either way it is the most comprehensive and most reliable book on the topic to date.

Guest Questioner
On 5/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, Guest Critique said:

I disagree. Q'aim wasn't just trying to present any old traditions here, he was uniquely trying to present the most reliable ones. I don't know what the value would be for people already saturated with all sorts of wild claims about the Imam of our time (ajfs) to be given a book with more spurious than reliable narrations even according to our grand scholars. What he has done has helped me at times of a deep questioning of some aspects of Shia faith, and may Allah reward him.

I only asked about the cost because I want as many people to get hold of this book as possible and in the longer term, it might be financially more viable to sell e-copies on Kindle at a cheaper rate. I have made more money private tutoring in 1% of the time it has taken him to take on this monumental task which will reap many more divine rewards. Even if he were to make thousands, it is halal money. 

Most of the book is free and online, a long with a great number of translations he has done. 

سلام brothers and sisters,

I need your ingenuity to come up with a solution.

I'd like to buy and ship one book per month to whoever that would like to have it but can't for a variety of reasons. 

I am, however, not sure about the logistics of doing so. 

There are three issues in place: 

1) I don't want to pay for shipping twice. 

2) I want to respect people's privacy. Some people may not want to share their names or address with me and others. 

3) I can't just send the funds, because I can't guarantee that people would use the funds to purchase the book. 

So, let's think of some solutions. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

's think of some solutions. Thanks

I don't know much about publishing and selling books through Amazon but maybe the author can ship a copy directly. The one receiving the book can give his name and address to him. Or if you want to gift soft copies then it would even simpler. Transfer the payment to brother Qa'im and he emails the pdf to the person.

Edited by starlight

1 hour ago, starlight said:

These are good ideas @starlight. Regarding the hard copy, brother Qa'im may not have the time to make the shipments. 

However, sending soft copies shouldn't take much time. 

Let's keep on thinking for solutions for getting the hard copies to peoole, too.

Meanwhile, for soft copies (PDF), if you send me your emails, I'll ask brother Qa'im to send you your copies. With soft copies, based on the price, I can send 2-3 copies per month. 

On 5/14/2019 at 12:06 AM, SoRoUsH said:

These are good ideas

Yes, they are and thank you for your offer.

I have already bought a copy but I did not buy it from Amazon because shipping with Amazon can add a fair sum to the total cost.

I bought it from Book Depository, which turned out to be much cheaper.

Salam Alaikum,

Ramadan Mubarak. First of all I would like to thank you brother for investing quality time into acquiring divine knowledge about Islam and the sciences, secondly I want to congratulate you on your work "The rise of the Qaim"

I am interested in purchasing a digital copy but your link is broken; is this digital copy still available?

Thank you and may God bless you brother!