Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Qa'im

The Rise of the Qaim - paperback and ebook

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Panzerwaffe said:

Salam bro are you saying the works of Modarressi, Arjomand, Kohlberg, Sachedina have a bias against imami shias or have an ideological axe to grind ?

Well at minimum they operate in a secular arena, which values skepticism and naturalist assumptions. One can still learn a lot from them (I enjoy reading Todd Lawson, Amir-Moezzi, William Chittick, Henry Corbin, Gabriel Reynolds and others). But we also need our own works that emanate from our own worldview.

14 minutes ago, Qa'im said:

But we also need our own works that emanate from our own worldview.

Usually, this is an exercise in "responding" or some sort of "parroting".

"Our own" requires a minimum amount of elements that are extensions of lsIamic thought. Culturalism will not be helpful.

57 minutes ago, Qa'im said:

Well at minimum they operate in a secular arena, which values skepticism and naturalist assumptions. One can still learn a lot from them (I enjoy reading Todd Lawson, Amir-Moezzi, William Chittick, Henry Corbin, Gabriel Reynolds and others). But we also need our own works that emanate from our own worldview.

But dont you think sunnis offer the same argument then and when we and secular academics ruthlessly dissect their works which have primarily an ideological agenda ?

I recently watched how tom holland blew away wahabi apologist Jonathan brown in a small 20 min interview on science of hadith.Jonathan had to resort to insults to stay afloat.And Tom holland mind you is not even an original researcher his own ideas are full of contradictions and oversimplifications 

Edited by Panzerwaffe

I think we need to operate with the following knowledge in our minds:

Knowledge is a light, and this light is gifted to our Ahlul Bayt (as).

In other words, the source of true knowledge is the Ahlul Bayt (as). 

How can we reconcile this fact with one that many religious scholars or scholars of religion do not use the narrations of Ahlul Bayt as their source? 

When we read books, whose source of knowledge isn't authentic narrations of Ahlulbayt, are we really learning any true knowledge? 

7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Usually, this is an exercise in "responding" or some sort of "parroting".

"Our own" requires a minimum amount of elements that are extensions of lsIamic thought. Culturalism will not be helpful.

Yes, I agree. The activist critics are just deconstructionists, and many Muslims who go through academia pick up the Foucaultian paradigm because it is very easy to operate within. Even critics of this approach, like brother Daniel Haqiqatjou for example, are still mostly deconstructionists. Actually building something organic is difficult.

6 hours ago, Panzerwaffe said:

But dont you think sunnis offer the same argument then and when we and secular academics ruthlessly dissect their works which have primarily an ideological agenda ?

I don't think academia can be dismissed entirely. Each work, each hypothesis, and each argument has to be assessed on its own, and its proofs need to be investigated in a presuppositionless way. But those of us who have been through the academic process in the social sciences know that you can barely thrive as a genuine believer. Not because the arguments of the other side are entirely convincing, but because the Western university as an institution was founded basically on Protestant, Enlightenment, Renaissance, and Utilitarian values and biases. Nowadays, the university is an arm of the state and the market - again, not to dismiss it full-sale. A Muslim is one who believes that God spoke to us, which is a profound claim, one that needs to be taken very seriously in all of our dealings.

6 hours ago, Panzerwaffe said:

I recently watched how tom holland blew away wahabi apologist Jonathan brown in a small 20 min interview on science of hadith.Jonathan had to resort to insults to stay afloat.And Tom holland mind you is not even an original researcher his own ideas are full of contradictions and oversimplifications 

I don't feel that Holland's arguments blew Jonathan out of the water (perhaps you can be specific), but yes Jonathan is an emotional and easily offended person.

On 12/24/2018 at 6:47 AM, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

So you are saying that such work should be sold for money so that it encourages more people to write books and share information in exchange of money? 

Doctor lawyer are all worldly things, ilm is heavenly, why mix worldy things with a heavenly thing?

This work gets compensated in next life that is absolutely true so let us keep it that way.

Did Prophet(saww) ask for money or goods in return for his tableegh for his sharing of ilm or did Ahlul Bayt(asws) do so? Kindly refer to the ayah in Quran in which Allah tells Prophet(saww) to say that he do not ask anything for his tableegh except for the love of his aqrubah, that is the real ajar in return of Tableegh and ilm.

Should not we follow the samething?

Why sell knowledge for money?

Imam Ali(asws) says sharing knowledge increases knowledge

Show me one quote by Ahlul Bayt(asws) or an ayah stating what you are saying that for sharing knowledge of Islam, we should get compensated in this world too and that too with money?

- So people who work on Islamic Projects don't need to eat, feed their kids, pay their house payment ? 

Time that they spend doing Islamic Projects, such as writing, is time they cannot earn income from other things, like a 'normal' job, accountant, doctor, etc. 

This is called 'Opportunity Cost'. When you spend your time doing one thing, that thing has a cost, meaning you can't take advantage of other opportunities. 

If we expect everyone who does Islamic Projects to not get compensated (in the dunya) what that means is that we will either have no Islamic Projects, or very hastily, shoddily done projects which noone cares about. If they are sincere, and doing it, fe Sibilillah, they will be compensated in the Akhira, that is not what we are talking about (i.e. it is irrelevant to this discussion) 

Imam Ali(a.s.) worked and earned money. He however, did not write books (Nahjul Balagha as well as his Dua' are compilations of his speeches). Also, Imam Ali(a.s.) said that it is haram for someone to do work and not get paid for it (paid in the dunya, not the akhira). He said this in many different places. Look it up. This is Haqq (Justice). If you believe that what this brother is doing is work, then he should get paid for it, simple. 

Again, if you want to live in world where secular media is completely dominant and we have no way to compete with it for the time and attention of our youth and ourselves, keep pushing this point of view. 

20 hours ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

I am even against the 'hadiya' for Quran. For once, let us do something that does not involve our worldy desire i.e. money. Let us not be so materialistic and seek the ajar from Allah instead of craving for money or goods

Salams,

Br. @Qa'im has spent a decade researching, translating, compiling and arranging, noting the strength of traditions, and editing his book. It is unbelievably inconsiderate and unreasonable to assume that people put such an effort into working and not be compensated for their work. In doesn't matter if there is an ajr with God, God's rizq manifests in this world as well and demanding a reward for your work is reasonable. This knowledge wasn't with Qa'im a priori like knowledge was apparently with the Imams and Prophet, he had to work for years. If he wants compensation, compensation should be given to him. Once upon a time you had princes and nobles who would sponsor the work of scholars to write books, research, and compile traditions. They aren't around anymore and reading is more a democratic task, the authors need to be rewarded in some way. And all that aside, even if Brother Qa'im wanted no money to go to his bank account for the countless hours he spent writing this book, he still needs to publish these books. People on this site need to understand that if they don't actually provide people for incentives to work then they won't be able to since they still need to live. If you want research to be done and good material to be presented, you need to ensure that those who do this research and presentation are able to have their needs met by compensating them for their efforts and realizing that publishers will not print out books for free and couriers will not ship books for free. It's entirely reasonable to ask for compensation. 

Learn Arabic, get a working knowledge of how hadith sciences work, read a bunch of hadith books, compile and evaluate traditions, write a book, edit it over the course of a decade, and publish it out of pocket and ship it at your own expense if you don't want others having to pay. But you won't and no one would since the cost of doing that is much greater for you than spending $17 or $32 would be to the wallets of Shia readership.

wassalam

Edited by Ibn Al-Ja'abi

I think the main problem is that people who do not write books, study Islam in detail, learn languages other than the ones they were raised with, and other related activities think that these things are easy and only take a few hours or few days at most. When I wrote my last book, which took me about 9 months to write, I had brothers tell me, 'Oh, I could do that in a few days'. I told them, ok, so why don't you try writing a book in a few days. They probably could write one, but it would be nonsense filled with c&p facts and grammatical mistakes which noone would ever want to read. To write any book doesn't take time. To write a piece of quality work that is based on sound logic and research and is well written takes alot of time. 

Also they think that if you are working 'fe sibilillah' money will automatically fall down from the sky. Anyone who has done this knows that this doesn't happen. It takes cooperation and support from the people to do these things. If there is no support and no cooperation from the brothers and sisters out there who are interested in seeing these projects thru to completion, then the projects will never happen. It is not the person doing the project that decides if it is going to happen, it is the community who decides if the project is going to happen based on their support or lack of support. One or two people working by themselves with no support can do very little. 

Bottom line, if you want to see more books like this in the future, you should support this project by doing what the author is asking and buying, yes buying the book. If you don't want to see books or projects like this in the future, then don't buy and don't support with your money. Believe me, there won't be more. But don't say 'MashahAllah brother, nice work. Well done', then don't support the project in the way the author is telling you (unless you really don't have the extra money, then I understand, but most of you do). Most of you don't think twice about spending $20 to $50 on a tshirt that you will wear a few times and throw away. For less than that, you can gain knowledge of your Imam Zaman(a.f.s) in your own language. I think that's worth more than a t-shirt. 

There are thousands of members here on SC, if at least a few hundred bought the book, the brother would probably have enough to continue to do these works in the future. It is up to you ladies and gentlemen, muslimeen and muslimaat if these projects will continue. The author has already done his part. It is up to you to do yours. 

-walks into room -why @Qa'im you never told us you were a NY selling best author. khalas it’s time for us to meet each other’s parents !!!!!!! Be sure to arrive in a Lamborghini for our khotba! Can I get a zalghooota anyone! My husband is famous!!!!! 

All jokes aside Congratuationz !!!!! 

Edited by Miss Wonderful

3 minutes ago, Miss Wonderful said:

-walks into room -why @Qa'im you never told us you were a NY selling best author. khalas it’s time for us to meet each other’s parents !!!!!!! Be sure to arrive in a Lamborghini for our khotba! Can I get a zalghooota anyone! My husband is famous!!!!!  

yeah who needs modesty right

17 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

I think the main problem is that people who do not write books, study Islam in detail, learn languages other than the ones they were raised with, and other related activities think that these things are easy and only take a few hours or few days at most. When I wrote my last book, which took me about 9 months to write, I had brothers tell me, 'Oh, I could do that in a few days'. I told them, ok, so why don't you try writing a book in a few days. They probably could write one, but it would be nonsense filled with c&p facts and grammatical mistakes which noone would ever want to read. To write any book doesn't take time. To write a piece of quality work that is based on sound logic and research and is well written takes alot of time. 

Also they think that if you are working 'fe sibilillah' money will automatically fall down from the sky. Anyone who has done this knows that this doesn't happen. It takes cooperation and support from the people to do these things. If there is no support and no cooperation from the brothers and sisters out there who are interested in seeing these projects thru to completion, then the projects will never happen. It is not the person doing the project that decides if it is going to happen, it is the community who decides if the project is going to happen based on their support or lack of support. One or two people working by themselves with no support can do very little. 

Bottom line, if you want to see more books like this in the future, you should support this project by doing what the author is asking and buying, yes buying the book. If you don't want to see books or projects like this in the future, then don't buy and don't support with your money. Believe me, there won't be more. But don't say 'MashahAllah brother, nice work. Well done', then don't support the project in the way the author is telling you (unless you really don't have the extra money, then I understand, but most of you do). Most of you don't think twice about spending $20 to $50 on a tshirt that you will wear a few times and throw away. For less than that, you can gain knowledge of your Imam Zaman(a.f.s) in your own language. I think that's worth more than a t-shirt. 

There are thousands of members here on SC, if at least a few hundred bought the book, the brother would probably have enough to continue to do these works in the future. It is up to you ladies and gentlemen, muslimeen and muslimaat if these projects will continue. The author has already done his part. It is up to you to do yours. 

Brother- could you put the titles and the links to your books here. I would love to read those? Thanks in advance.

19 hours ago, AMR5 said:

Brother- could you put the titles and the links to your books here. I would love to read those? Thanks in advance.

Salam. PM me, I will send you a link. I don't want to derail the brs thread. 

On 12/4/2018 at 2:54 AM, Qa'im said:

Salaam alaykum,

I am very proud to present the culmination of nearly ten years of research on the Twelfth Imam, al-Hujja b. a-Hasan, al-Mahdi, al-Qa'im, the Patron of Time, peace be upon him.

Will purchase a copy inshAllah. Also please PM a link that can be used for donations; it's bizarre to think efforts like this are left unrewarded even if the intent is for rewards in the akhira.

The first customer review is in, from someone named zach:

5 stars, Excellent collection

I really want to get my hands on this book. Unfortunately, the cost of this book is very high but I always appreciate any body's effort when it comes to Imam Mahdi a.s. Mashallah brother.