Follower of Ahlulbayt

Does Syeda Fatima (s) Menstruate?

Rate this topic

I believe that many scholars and people hold the belief that syeda Fatima does not menstruate because she is pure. 

But this hadith seems to contradict this notion...

Abu Ali al-Ash'ariy has narrated from Muhammad ibn 'Abd al-Jabbar from Ali ibn Mahziyar from who has said the following:

I once wrote to him (the Imam), 'Alayhi al-Salam, about the case of a woman who becomes clean of  Hayd (menses) or childbirth bleeding on the first day of the month of Ramadan. She then experiences  istihadah, she performs Salat (prayer) and fasts in all of the month of Ramadan without doing what a  woman experiencing istihadah is required to do such as Ghusl (bath) for every Salat (prayer): if her  fast and Salat (prayer) are valid. He (the Imam) wrote, 'She completes Qada' (compensatory fast) of  fast but not Qada' (compensatory salat) for her Salat (prayer); the Messenger of Allah (saw), would instruct  Fatimah,(s), and the believing women to do so."' (Al kafi, book of fasting, ch.55, h.6, authentic sanad)

1 hour ago, Follower of Ahlulbayt said:

I believe that many scholars and people hold the belief that syeda Fatima does not menstruate because she is pure. 

Not every scholar holds such a belief.

Wasalam

Astaghfirullah she’s not some woman, she is one of the purified ones, therefore cannot menstruate

So much so God had to create Imam Ali in order to match her piety and character 

the panjatan pak are the purified ones that came down in human form to interact with us, therefore their inherit nature is completely different from us and otherworldly, literally 

meaning they just ‘looked’ human to is because you know humans are so derpy lol so many are like if we don’t see it! We don’t believe it! 

Anyway,

there ya go so simple 

Edited by Ralvi

Just now, Ralvi said:

Astaghfirullah she’s not some woman, she is one of the purified ones, therefore cannot menstruate

So much so God had to create Imam Ali in order to match her piety and character 

the panjatan pak are the purified ones that came down in human form to interact with is, therefore their inherit nature is completely different from us and otherworldly, literally 

menaing they just ‘looked’ human to is because you know humans are so derpy lol so many are like if we don’t see it! We don’t believe it! 

Anyway,

there ya go so simple 

Is this really shia thought? 

20 minutes ago, realizm said:

So menstruation is a criterion for purity? You mean that Ahlul bayt (as) did not use washrooms as well ? Or did not experience janaba?

they were experiencing it as daily basis but matter of   menstruation is not one of them ,it's about Women body & changings in their body that bloos is just sign of it but whole of their body is under affection of it that makes  them completely unqualified for  praying because they are unclean at that time from inside  but Lady Fatima was clean & pure from cradle to grave .

1 hour ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

Not every scholar holds such a belief.

Wasalam

it's because they are not woman ,they just express ruling from books for this you must ask about it from a scholar woman not a man that has very limited knowledge about woman body.

3 hours ago, Follower of Ahlulbayt said:

But this hadith seems to contradict this notion...

Abu Ali al-Ash'ariy has narrated from Muhammad ibn 'Abd al-Jabbar from Ali ibn Mahziyar from who has said the following:

I once wrote to him (the Imam), 'Alayhi al-Salam, about the case of a woman who becomes clean of  Hayd (menses) or childbirth bleeding on the first day of the month of Ramadan. She then experiences  istihadah, she performs Salat (prayer) and fasts in all of the month of Ramadan without doing what a  woman experiencing istihadah is required to do such as Ghusl (bath) for every Salat (prayer): if her  fast and Salat (prayer) are valid. He (the Imam) wrote, 'She completes Qada' (compensatory fast) of  fast but not Qada' (compensatory salat) for her Salat (prayer); the Messenger of Allah (saw), would instruct  Fatimah,(s), and the believing women to do so."' (Al kafi, book of fasting, ch.55, h.6, authentic sanad)

Wa aleykumsalaam, 

I would like to quote br. Nader Zaveri's reply to this question:

al-Majlisi has already talked about this in depth, and he has given his ways to reconcile it.

و في نسخ الكافي كان يأمر فاطمة صلوات الله عليها و المؤمنات من نسائه بذلك فزيد فيه إشكال آخر لأنه قد ورد في الأخبار الكثيرة كما سيأتي أنها ع لم تر حمرة قط و ربما يؤول بأنه كان يأمرها أن تأمر المؤمنات بذلك و ربما يقال المراد بفاطمة فاطمة بنت أبي حبيش فإنها كانت مشتهرة بكثرة الاستحاضة و السؤال عن مسائلها فيكون قوله صلوات الله عليها زيد من النساخ أو الرواة بتوهم أنها الزهراء ع

And in the naskh of al-Kāfī, “he order Fātimah (صلوات الله عليها), and the believing women to do that”, and the addition in it has problems, because it is mentioned in many narration such as that she (عليها السلام) does not get redness ever (i.e. menstruate).

1.) Possibly you can explain that he order her to order the believing women
2.) Possibly he said Fātimah, he intended Fātimah bint Abī Hubaysh, for she was famous for menstruating a lot, and she asked about it[1]

And his saying of (صلوات الله عليها) is the addition from copyist or the narrator because they imagined that It was al-Zahra (عليها السلام)
[2]
Source:
al-Majlisi, Bihaar al-Anwaar, vol. 78, ch. 4, pg. 113

[1] I have checked from Shia and Sunni books, and it is known that Fātimah bint Abī Hubaysh used to talk about hayD a lot!
فَإِنَّ امْرَأَةً يُقَالُ لَهَا فَاطِمَةُ بِنْتُ أَبِي حُبَيْشٍ اسْتَحَاضَتْ فَاسْتَمَرَّ بِهَا الدَّمُ فَأَتَتْ أُمَّ سَلَمَةَ فَسَأَلَتْ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ص عَنْ ذَلِكَ
al-Kaafi, vol. 3, pg. 83

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ رُمْحٍ قَالَ: أَخْبَرَنَا اللَّيْثُ بْنُ سَعْدٍ، عَنْ يَزِيدَ بْنِ أَبِي حَبِيبٍ، عَنْ بُكَيْرِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، عَنِ الْمُنْذِرِ بْنِ الْمُغِيرَةِ، عَنْ عُرْوَةَ بْنِ الزُّبَيْرِ، أَنَّ فَاطِمَةَ بِنْتَ أَبِي حُبَيْشٍ، حَدَّثَتْهُ أَنَّهَا أَتَتْ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ، فَشَكَتْ إِلَيْهِ الدَّمَ، فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «إِنَّمَا ذَلِكَ عِرْقٌ، فَانْظُرِي إِذَا أَتَى قَرْؤُكِ فَلَا تُصَلِّي، فَإِذَا مَرَّ الْقَرْءُ، فَتَطَهَّرِي، ثُمَّ صَلِّي مَا بَيْنَ الْقَرْءِ إِلَى الْقَرْءِ»
Sunan Ibn Majah, vol. 1, pg. 203, ch. 115, hadeeth # 620, 621 & 624

[2] al-Majlisi is correct, because in al-Kaafi it has (صلوات الله عليها), while in Tahdheeb al-Ahaakm it has ع, thus making it a copyist or narrator addition.

2 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

I am shia. There is confusion indeed. So menstruation is a criterion for purity? You mean that Ahlul bayt (as) did not use washrooms as well ? Or did not experience janaba?

You cannot pray and you’re indeed unpure. Sayeda has never been in such a state. Therefore x y and z 

menstruation is a body’s ritual to possibly bring life. The way imams are born is not the same way as humans are born. You have to be mindful of this, the conditions with which they came in are different from ours. They are sent pak, birth for normal women is inherently an unpure ritual. unpurity has and never will touch the imams, much less the Hujjat(sayeda)

she did not menstruate because she did not need to menstruate, because her nature is different from normal women

she is Ume Abiha after all

Edited by Ralvi

2 hours ago, AnotherShepherd said:

It sounds a bit divinified (kinda like the Christians) but I'll wait to hear what others say. 

No there is a distinction. God has purified the ahulbayt Surah 33 it’s not divinifed it’s command manifest 

2 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

I am shia. There is confusion indeed. So menstruation is a criterion for purity? You mean that Ahlul bayt (as) did not use washrooms as well ? Or did not experience janaba?

Also what’s Janaba? Excuse my ignorance 

2 hours ago, Ralvi said:

Also what’s Janaba? Excuse my ignorance 

It’s when semen comes out men body ,it’s Janaba that we must do Ghusl janaba

3 hours ago, Ralvi said:

You cannot pray and you’re indeed unpure. Sayeda has never been in such a state. Therefore x y and z 

menstruation is a body’s ritual to possibly bring life. The way imams are born is not the same way as humans are born. You have to be mindful of this, the conditions with which they came in are different from ours. They are sent pak, birth for normal women is inherently an unpure ritual. unpurity has and never will touch the imams, much less the Hujjat(sayeda)

she did not menstruate because she did not need to menstruate, because her nature is different from normal women

she is Ume Abiha after all

Thanks for replying. Using bathroom does also invalidate purity for prayer.

Do you consider Ahlulbayt never used bathroom ?

14 minutes ago, AnotherShepherd said:

Not trying to derail, but threads like this just seem to post me further from shia Islam. 

Brother before going ahead of Shia Islam do consider this question from real aalim.

Secodly if you leave Shia Islam nothing big happen on earth. So come out of comfort zone and search it analyse it.

29 minutes ago, AnotherShepherd said:

Not trying to derail, but threads like this just seem to post me further from shia Islam. 

I have another approach, I just do not give credit to such extravagant and useless topics which have nothing to do with Islamic core teachings.

Edited by realizm

9 hours ago, realizm said:

Thanks for replying. Using bathroom does also invalidate purity for prayer.

Do you consider Ahlulbayt never used bathroom ?

However you can wuzu, for menstraution you’re in a perpetual state of unpurity that’s specific to women and are barred from praying.

So They really aren’t the same at all...

as for doing the things humans do in the bathroom well I’m not sure, personally I’d like to believe not but we really don’t know huh?

imams doing Wuzu doenst necessarily imply they were unpure, I would think they would take every opportunity to do so becuase it pleases Allah...

This post is inappropriate and does NOT have any application in our daily lives. I can't imagine someone thought about this and post it in a public website.

I don't understand why the OP asked this question about the most Tahir woman on the history.

17 minutes ago, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

I don't understand why the OP asked this question about the most Tahir woman on the history.

Because we have a number of traditions about this topic in our books and OP wants to know if this is true or not.